NYT: Apple's 7.85-inch iPad to be released this fall with sub-$499 price

Comments

• Reply 61 of 85
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockitmann View Post

Given Apple has stuck with a "one size fits all" iPhone for 5 years...

If Apple wants to release different versions of their products, that's great as a consumer.  As an investor in Apple I question the need of a 7" iPad right now.  10" iPads are selling like mad right now (literally, like mad...I don't get all the fuss).  Let that run at least another year.  Keep it simple.  I don't see Kindles and Google tablets as a threat to the profits Apple is raking in.  Heck, since when has a cheaper product from a competitor scared Apple...they just continue on their own path with their own (high) price points.

As a shareholder wouldn't you like to see more revenue earning opportunities (ie more products) ?

I can see mom and dad walking into the Apple Store and buying an iPad each for them plus an iPad Mini for each of their kids. Without the iPad Mini they might have bought an iPod Touch I guess or they could go elsewhere and buy a Sony Vita or Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 or whatever else pops up before Christmas.

As a customer rather than a shareholder I would prefer more Apple products to chose from than less products. I already have an iPad but I'll probably still buy an iPad Mini anyway.

• Reply 62 of 85
    oseameoseame Posts: 73member

As much as it pains my amateur-professional developer side, I think Apple really should release a smaller, cheaper iPad. I've heard a lot of people say that the iPad is too heavy/big/expensive for their needs and would rather have a Kindle because they're so cheap and light. They're primarily people who read books more than anything else, and if you look at the market size - I'm guessing, but I see a lot of big-grey-calculator generation Kindles, certainly a lot more than android tablets, and perhaps around the same number as iPads - a device almost as cheap with similar functionality to iOS could be the first thing that makes consumers - and developers - focus on android for tablets. Of course, the Fire is still not available in the UK, but it and Google's Nexus 7 are a major threat to the ecosystem in my opinion. 

• Reply 63 of 85
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    sr2012 wrote: »
    The orange slab will be $499. Mark my words.
    sr2012 wrote: »
    $299 minimum, I feel.

I would put a bet on the model line starting at $299. Maybe $249. But I just don't think $199 is realistic given the rumors that Nexus 7, Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet have almost no margin to speak of. I think it's to Apple's benefit to reduce the price umbrella, but not at the expense of margins. I think having a product every $100 makes it easier to upsell someone from a basic Touch to a basic iPad.

Definitely agree.

If only the ipad had a better aspect ratio...

Yes, 1.5:1. Oh, maybe you mean 16:9? pththht. In my opinion, 16:9 makes the screen too short for non-video uses. I think 16:9 feels too short-screened for anything laptop sized or smaller. 1.5:1 is a good all-around aspect ratio for a variety of media, not just video.
  • Reply 64 of 85
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by oseame View Post

As much as it pains my amateur-professional developer side, I think Apple really should release a smaller, cheaper iPad. I've heard a lot of people say that the iPad is too heavy/big/expensive for their needs and would rather have a Kindle because they're so cheap and light. They're primarily people who read books more than anything else, and if you look at the market size - I'm guessing, but I see a lot of big-grey-calculator generation Kindles, certainly a lot more than android tablets, and perhaps around the same number as iPads - a device almost as cheap with similar functionality to iOS could be the first thing that makes consumers - and developers - focus on android for tablets. Of course, the Fire is still not available in the UK, but it and Google's Nexus 7 are a major threat to the ecosystem in my opinion. 

I travel a lot on the train for business and it's amazing how many people you see with the new Kindle. I hardly see anyone with a proper book anymore.

• Reply 65 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

No way. Assuming it's coming, why would they use the brand that does pretty good, instead of the one that's absolutely on fire?

Bingo! :)

• Reply 66 of 85
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

So the insular dweebs at the NYT finally heard of Gene Munster.

• Reply 67 of 85
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Back to margins. Apple deliberately underpowers the iPod touch entry model with an 8 G memory. The next model is 24G more The top end has 64G.

If they do this on the iPad mini they can make a high enough margin on the line. If the $199 version has no margin the next model will be $100- cost to Apple of the extra memory. Let's say $90. The top model has a gross of $180 with similar reasoning.

These are margins of 0%, 30% and 45% approx, probably the overall line would have margins of 30%. Maybe higher.

Apple deliberately make the bottom model of the iPod touch line underpowered in memory so people spend the extra $100 when in the shop or online after logging on, or going in, to buy the lower end model. Most people can justify $100 to themselves.

This is how they roll with iPod Touches and probably the iPad mini.
  • Reply 68 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I think they will go with iPad Mini 8GB for $249 and 16GB for $349 - then the iPad 2 16GB at $399 and the iPad 3 from $499

Quote:

I can see mom and dad walking into the Apple Store and buying an iPad each for them plus an iPad Mini for each of their kids.

I would rather buy an iPad mini for a toddler than a $400 or more (iPad 2) device. $250 would be a very attractive price. It makes it fall more into the gift giving category, IMO.

I don't believe it will be associated with the iPod name.

• Reply 69 of 85
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    I hope not - that would leave a huge gap between the iPod Nano and the iPad MIni.

I know a lot of iPod Classic users eager to upgrade just as soon as a reasonably priced 128GB iPod Touch is released.

Perhaps the rumored new iPod Nano would serve. If it get s a larger multi touch screen, it could perhaps fill that gap.

I think this may be what Apple is planning. The new larger Nano and smaller iPad would together accomplish what the Touch currently provides. Perhaps this is why the Touch didn't really get updated last year, it may be on its way out.
  • Reply 70 of 85

Quote:

As a shareholder wouldn't you like to see more revenue earning opportunities (ie more products) ?

I can see mom and dad walking into the Apple Store and buying an iPad each for them plus an iPad Mini for each of their kids. Without the iPad Mini they might have bought an iPod Touch I guess or they could go elsewhere and buy a Sony Vita or Kindle Fire or Nexus 7 or whatever else pops up before Christmas.

As a customer rather than a shareholder I would prefer more Apple products to chose from than less products. I already have an iPad but I'll probably still buy an iPad Mini anyway.

Yes more revenue streams are great.  I guess I just worry about the direction their headed, if the 7-8" iPad is true.  the iPad itself is already relatively inexpensive by Apple standards, yet flies off the shelves like hotcakes.  Apple's history is that of expensive products and slowly but surely grabbing marketshare.  Is their new strategy to just blast the market with cheaper and cheaper products?  

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just different and I wonder what the trajectory is.  

• Reply 71 of 85

Quote:

Also, regarding the rationale for a 7-8" iPad - Hasn't their been rationale for a 4" and 4.5" iPhone the past 2+ years?  I say, yes, as I've felt the iPad screen size is it's biggest detriment.  Obviously people have their preferences.  Heck, when the 10" iPad came out I thought why would I buy that when I perfectly good MB Air?  Now if it was a 7" I'd consider it.  In retrospect I'm glad they didn't come out with a 7" back then or I might have bought it...and never used it.  I have no need for an iPad...i have an Air and Kindle....perfectly happy.  

So, I'm all for choice...I just wonder why they held fast for so long on the phone size when there was clearly demand, but now would be relatively quick to create a 8"...a tweener product in my opinion.  Could this be a sign of Cook being different than Jobs?

• Reply 72 of 85
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

Perhaps the rumored new iPod Nano would serve. If it get s a larger multi touch screen, it could perhaps fill that gap.

I think this may be what Apple is planning. The new larger Nano and smaller iPad would together accomplish what the Touch currently provides. Perhaps this is why the Touch didn't really get updated last year, it may be on its way out.

Yes. This is exactly what I think. I think the iPad mini replaces the iPod touch - which has been advertised as primarily a gaming device for some time now - and the iPod nano will get a bigger touch screen and will be a dedicated media player. The rumoured new iPod nano was exactly what I was expecting in this respect. I think the iPad mini will be $199 but $249 or even $299 would still be feasible. The rumours saying it's non-retina makes me think they're going for $199. In general I think it's a mistake to think Apple is doing this to compete with the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7. I think it has been in the works ever since Apple realised the iPod touch is essentially a portable gaming device. Note that in 2011 neither the iPod touch nor the iPod nano saw major updates. I think Apple knows that both devices have to be ready for this move to work. They need both a smaller iPad at around $199 to replace the iPod touch and a bigger touch-based iPod nano at around $129 to replace the current nano; if they do either one without the other it doesn't work.

• Reply 73 of 85
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    poke wrote: »
    It's going to be the a mini iPad, not a large iPod touch. It's going to run iPad software. It's going to start at $199. The iPod touch will be discontinued.
    It may be an iPad but I really think there's credence to the new 7 inch being part of the iPod line.

I see it as a $229 iPod with a 16:9 or 3:2 aspect ratio positioned above the current Touch (iPod Play?)
    The current Touch price dropped to $149 and the current Nano (with Bluetooth added) priced at $79.

I just don't see the point of an iPad that sized since it won't be any cheaper to produce than the 9.7 inch iPad unless features are stripped from it. If they give it all the features we want and price it at $299 it'll just cannibalize the $499 iPad and hurt margins overall.

If its an iPod people won't expect the same quality of features they expect with iPad and Apple will be able to get the price closer to competitors and margins will be higher.
  • Reply 74 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I really hope it is true. I want one.

I would like to see a range of models from extremely inexpensive to totally maxed out with retina and cellular. The latter is of course the one I would be buying.

• Reply 75 of 85
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    poke wrote: »
    Yes. This is exactly what I think. I think the iPad mini replaces the iPod touch - which has been advertised as primarily a gaming device for some time now - and the iPod nano will get a bigger touch screen and will be a dedicated media player. The rumoured new iPod nano was exactly what I was expecting in this respect. I think the iPad mini will be $199 but $249 or even $299 would still be feasible. The rumours saying it's non-retina makes me think they're going for $199. In general I think it's a mistake to think Apple is doing this to compete with the Kindle Fire and the Nexus 7. I think it has been in the works ever since Apple realised the iPod touch is essentially a portable gaming device. Note that in 2011 neither the iPod touch nor the iPod nano saw major updates. I think Apple knows that both devices have to be ready for this move to work. They need both a smaller iPad at around $199 to replace the iPod touch and a bigger touch-based iPod nano at around $129 to replace the current nano; if they do either one without the other it doesn't work.
    If Apple priced the iPad Mini at $199 I can't imagine it having any worthwhile features. In order to get the price that low they'd probably have to stripped a lot of features and use old processors etc to get any sort of decent margin especially since this new iPad will cannibalize current iPad sales.

We're looking at A4 chip, non-retina display, 8GB storage, low res cameras, among other likely trade offs to hit the magical $199 price? I don't think the average iPad customer would be happy with those trade offs.
  • Reply 76 of 85
    rockitmann wrote: »
    Also, regarding the rationale for a 7-8" iPad - Hasn't their been rationale for a 4" and 4.5" iPhone the past 2+ years?  I say, yes, as I've felt the iPad screen size is it's biggest detriment.  Obviously people have their preferences.  Heck, when the 10" iPad came out I thought why would I buy that when I perfectly good MB Air?  Now if it was a 7" I'd consider it.  In retrospect I'm glad they didn't come out with a 7" back then or I might have bought it...and never used it.  I have no need for an iPad...i have an Air and Kindle....perfectly happy.  

So, I'm all for choice...I just wonder why they held fast for so long on the phone size when there was clearly demand, but now would be relatively quick to create a 8"...a tweener product in my opinion.  Could this be a sign of Cook being different than Jobs?

I just read an article on The Street and one analyst made an argument for a smaller iPad that I hadn't considered.

"The iPad Mini expands Apple's addressable market worldwide, especially in developing markets where lower-priced products take the lion's share of the market share,"
  • Reply 77 of 85
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member

If you carry it in your pocket, it is an iPod. If you carry it in some sort of backpack, it is an iPad. In most ways the current iPod touch and iPad are very similar. But I'll take out my iPod on a whim while bringing out my iPad usually means I'm seated or have a more compelling reason. Also, an iPod can usually be used one handed while an iPad usually requires both hands.

• Reply 78 of 85
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    In my opinion, 16:9 makes the screen too short for non-video uses. I think 16:9 feels too short-screened for anything laptop sized or smaller. 1.5:1 is a good all-around aspect ratio for a variety of media, not just video.

I'm into photography, and would love a 2:3 AR. But wouldn't buy a smaller iPad, if it ever came to fruition.
  • Reply 79 of 85
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    blackbook wrote: »
    If Apple priced the iPad Mini at $199 I can't imagine it having any worthwhile features. In order to get the price that low they'd probably have to stripped a lot of features and use old processors etc to get any sort of decent margin especially since this new iPad will cannibalize current iPad sales.
    We're looking at A4 chip, non-retina display, 8GB storage, low res cameras, among other likely trade offs to hit the magical $199 price? I don't think the average iPad customer would be happy with those trade offs.

Well then they can pay more for the 32G mini model, or buy an iPad(3)
  • Reply 80 of 85

Think education.  This device will be implemented faster in schools for those that can't afford the big iPad.