Apple co-founder Jobs admired Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, biographer says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Jobs biographer Walter Isaacson on Tuesday reaffirmed the tech guru's respect for Mark Zuckerberg during an interview with Washington Post Company CEO and Facebook board member Don Graham.

As the discussion turned to the relationship between the late Jobs and Zuckerberg, Isaacson noted that the Apple co-founder admired the Facebook chief's "intuitive feel" for company needs and passion, reports Business Insider.

It was previously reported that Zuckerberg modeled his early management style on the late CEO's famously aggressive take on leadership. The Facebook founder also said that Jobs had coached him on how to build a better company, a gesture confirmed in Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" autobiography.

"Jobs meant an enormous amount to the education of Mark," Graham said. "Mark will talk about that until the cows come home."

While Zuckerberg's admiration of Jobs is well known, the reverse was less clear. During Tuesday's on-stage session, Graham asked if Jobs ever mentioned Zuckerberg to Isaacson.

"I once asked Jobs who [he] admired in [Silicon] Valley," Isaacson said. "Mark's was the first name on his lips."

Steve Jobs

Isaacson alluded that Jobs' decision to abandon an Apple-run social network after Ping failed was based on a type of respect for Zuckerberg. A 2010 report claimed Jobs had invited Zuckerberg to dinner to discuss Ping and its possible integration with Facebook.

"Steve never cracked the code on social—maybe a few people in the room remember Ping," Isaacson quipped about the social music service rumored to be nearing end of life. The author recalls that when Jobs was asked why a follow-up network wasn't attempt he said, "maybe because Mark did it so well. There's not a need for a whole lot of social networks and Facebook has got it licked."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    rbryanhrbryanh Posts: 263member

Jobs also loathed Charmin, preferring Scott brand for its subtly understated marketing and no-nonsense abrasiveness.

• Reply 2 of 22
    OMG don't say you admire Zuck it just makes it worse. WORSE I tells ya.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    What's next, someone claiming Steve admired the Microsoft Surface? It's coming. Just you wait.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    Ping Pang n Pong.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wurm5150wurm5150 Posts: 763member
    I don't know why old news is news again.. It's in his autobiography, and an audio interview that says he admires Zuckerberg..
  • Reply 6 of 22

I don't think Jobs would have admired the convoluted mess of privacy settings that Facebook has become where the default setting for all new features is "Give all my blood and first born to the advertisers"

• Reply 7 of 22
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Must have been a side effect of the medication.
  • Reply 8 of 22

I love Jobs' point about people not needing that many social networks. So true, and probably a big reason why Google+ has thus far failed to really catch on - people don't see a clear reason for switching from Facebook. Love it or hate it, Facebook does social networking exceptionally well. It will be a long time before another competitor knocks it from the top.

• Reply 9 of 22
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Admired Zuckerberg?

The guy who started a multi-billion dollar company based on the idea of f@cking over the girlfriend who had dumped him, in order to f@ck over the privacy rights of millions?

Am I missing something?
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

PR blitz as Facebook (FB) stock drops like a rock. 

• Reply 11 of 22
    lenolenolenoleno Posts: 27member

3 problems with Facebook:

1) The IRS Facebooks you and has a list of all your friends in order to get all your info, offering them a cut

2) The Democratic party gets all your info, as Zuckerberg is a staunch young idealist Democrat

3) Thiefs break into your house when you go on vacation as they monitor your posts

Facebook is the nasty gossip mill of the Internet, giving the IRS, the Democratic party and enemies of all types your information.  

• Reply 12 of 22
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I don't think Jobs would have admired the convoluted mess of privacy settings that Facebook has become where the default setting for all new features is "Give all my blood and first born to the advertisers"

Facebook is a free service. Apple sells hardware.

Now, if Apple offered a social network, for free, if you buy hteir hardware, maybe that comparison might hold.

• Reply 13 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

He has a right to admire who he wants, but I don't like Facebook so I'd have a hard time admiring Mark.

• Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    What's next, someone claiming Steve admired the Microsoft Surface? It's coming. Just you wait.

Didn't Woz already make a dumb comment in that direction?

Regarding the comment by Steve,
    Of course there are moments in time when many people seem admirable, it doesn't mean five years later they still are.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Admired Zuckerberg?

The guy who started a multi-billion dollar company based on the idea of f@cking over the girlfriend who had dumped him, in order to f@ck over the privacy rights of millions?

Am I missing something?

Yeah you are.  That scene at the beginning of The Social Network was completely fabricated.  He just married the girl he has been dating since before he started working on Facebook.  The information is available to you from 10 seconds of Googling.

• Reply 16 of 22
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Yeah you are.  That scene at the beginning of The Social Network was completely fabricated.  He just married the girl he has been dating since before he started working on Facebook.  The information is available to you from 10 seconds of Googling.

Hence the question:

"Am I missing something?"

And I draw the line at Googling Mark Zuckerberg's Yahoo.

• Reply 17 of 22
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

He probably admired the way he stepped up to be CEO and retained control of his company. That's a lot easier to do nowadays because there's more respect for founder-CEOs (although even Google got "adult supervision") but it still takes guts and would especially resonate with Jobs.

• Reply 18 of 22
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

1) The IRS Facebooks you and has a list of all your friends in order to get all your info, offering them a cut

URL?

• Reply 19 of 22
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenoleno View Post

2) The Democratic party gets all your info, as Zuckerberg is a staunch young idealist Democrat

3) Thiefs break into your house when you go on vacation as they monitor your posts

Facebook is the nasty gossip mill of the Internet, giving the IRS, the Democratic party and enemies of all types your information.  

1) Proof?

2) Proof?

3) Keep your account private and don't have shady friends, as the people who have been busted thieving from vacationing Facebook folks recently were on their friends list.  Win.

• Reply 20 of 22
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Here is the problem with Facebook or any "Social Network", kids who are the primary user and some amount of 20 somethings, had learned or are learning that putting their lives out there is not good, only bad comes from it. If you ask any adult who is on FB why they have an account the majority of them will tell you to keep an eye on theirs kids. So kids are starting to abandon FB when that happen so will the adults expect those who use it as a cheap way to find a date or hook up with someone they dated in high school or college which will lead to them getting a divorce.

Anyway, the reason Mark Z is keeping his month shut, is because he know business is beginning to decline and has no big ideal on how to turn it around. People are starting to reduce their usage of FB and there is probably nothing he can do about it.

He basically dump his business on the un-expecting market and they are the one who just took all the losses. There was no reason for a company which was making the profits of FB needed to go public, they had plenty of case to grow. But the idiot caught in the hip just made him a billionaire.