UK judge rules Apple must advertise Samsung did not copy the iPad

Comments

• Reply 181 of 315
    fredaroonyfredaroony Posts: 619member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

There were touchscreen phones before the iPhone. There were high-res displays before the iPad 3 and Retina MBP. There were laptops before the Macbook Air. Blah blah blah.

You claim Apple's patents are vague, but your comments are vague as well. Only reason I can think of is you're trying to troll again instead of actually having a reasonable discussion.

Look at what I was replying to...why bother?

• Reply 182 of 315
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    fredaroony wrote: »
    There were touchscreen phones before the iPhone. There were high-res displays before the iPad 3 and Retina MBP. There were laptops before the Macbook Air. Blah blah blah.

You claim Apple's patents are vague, but your comments are vague as well. Only reason I can think of is you're trying to troll again instead of actually having a reasonable discussion.

Then why bother to reply at all?
  • Reply 183 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

What facts are you talking about exactly?  You mean the convertible tablet/laptops on the market before the iPad.  Yes, you're right.  Apple copied them lock stock and barrel.  And let's not give Apple any credit for the mouse or the personal computer or a GUI - because, well because they are Apple and we don't like them.  I mean the facts don't prove anything.  And any anecdotal or assumptive arguments about Samsung copying Apple are complete rubbish.  Samsung's products that look like Apple products released before them are purely coincidental.  And to top that off, it doesn't even matter if they copied Apple, because, well because what other shape would a phone or tablet have...

Where did I say "Apple copied them lock stock and barrel."? I simply said there were tablets before Apple came out with the iPad. 

I do agree that the iPad is the better than anything before it, in fact I own a iPad 3, but to say they invented the tablet is simply not true. You should take the emotion out of your post and just look at the facts.

• Reply 184 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I could say the same to you... It's common knowledge that there were tablets before Apple came out with the iPad. Its this fact that seems to escape many in here.

• Reply 187 of 315
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

Quote:

Originally Posted by philgar View Post

the key word here is "from a distance".  After examining the product, it was clear it was not an ipad.

Phil

Excuse me? This isn't about comparison shopping. If you were comparison shopping, you'd KNOW to look and see if they were different.  It's theft of look and feel with the intent to confuse the potential novice purchaser. Key word is NOVICE. And when the iPad first came out, that meant everyone, since there was nothing comparable on the market.

Nice try. No cigar.

• Reply 188 of 315
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    What facts are you talking about exactly?  You mean the convertible tablet/laptops on the market before the iPad.  Yes, you're right.  Apple copied them lock stock and barrel.  And let's not give Apple any credit for the mouse or the personal computer or a GUI - because, well because they are Apple and we don't like them.  I mean the facts don't prove anything.  And any anecdotal or assumptive arguments about Samsung copying Apple are complete rubbish.  Samsung's products that look like Apple products released before them are purely coincidental.  And to top that off, it doesn't even matter if they copied Apple, because, well because what other shape would a phone or tablet have...
    Where did I say "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">Apple copied them lock stock and barrel."? I simply said there were tablets before Apple came out with the iPad. </span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">I do agree that the iPad is the better than anything before it, in fact I own a iPad 3, but to say they invented the tablet is simply not true. </span>

The claim that others (i.e. Samsung) copied the iPad is not predicated on the assumption that Apple invented the tablet. It is based on the observation that Apple created a quite new and different tablet, that was then substantively copied.
  • Reply 189 of 315
    muppetry wrote: »
    I could say the same to you... It's common knowledge that there were tablets before Apple came out with the iPad. Its this fact that seems to escape many in here.

You could say the same, but it would not make any sense. As for your actual point, see my previous post.
  • Reply 190 of 315
    sacto joesacto joe Posts: 895member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

The claim that others (i.e. Samsung) copied the iPad is not predicated on the assumption that Apple invented the tablet. It is based on the observation that Apple created a quite new and different tablet, that was then substantively copied.

You are correct. When the iPad came out, there was literally nothing comparable on the market. Hence, a look-alike would have intentionally been meant to attract a novice buyer - which practically everyone was at the time!

• Reply 191 of 315
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rennaisance View Post

But is it? Samsung is a friend to the British people. Just yesterday, they bailed out one of our struggling tech companies, CSR, to the tune of £200M.

And now, a judge rules that Apple must apologise for falsely accusing Samsung of copying their designs.

Do not think these two events are unconnected - "justice" sometimes works in mysterious ways.

Now that is libelous.

• Reply 192 of 315
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Apple doesn't need to apologize or say Samsung didn't copy the iPad.
    They must say that the court ruled Samsung did not copy the iPad.
  • Reply 193 of 315
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    And now, a judge rules that Apple must apologise for falsely accusing Samsung of copying their designs.
    But the judge did not rule Apple should apologize or state that Samsung did not copy them.
    "The notice should outline the July 9 London court decision that Samsung’s Galaxy tablets don’t infringe Apple’s registered designs, Judge Colin Birss said today."
    http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2012-07-18/apple-must-publish-notice-samsung-didn-t-copy-ipad-judge-says.html
  • Reply 194 of 315
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Before you go making anymore disgraceful statements, are you aware that the British libel laws extend to online forums? Any statement made on here can be used in a court case against you. People have been taken to court in the UK for making libellous statements on Twitter, Facebook and online forums like this. And don't think your anonymity is of any use. The court can make the website reveal your identity.

Alternatively the Judge can simply find you in contempt of court for showing disrespect for the Judge and throw you in prison without trial. British Judges have a lot of power.

Really?

That judge is a bigger tosser than the one who sent my ancestor to this country in 1788, what a wally.

London Olympics here I come.

Heading to the old dart courtesy of an old fart.

PS What clothing should I pack for sitting in a bog in the drizzle drinking warm lager?

• Reply 195 of 315
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Really?

That judge is a bigger tosser than the one who sent my ancestor to this country in 1788, what a wally.

London Olympics here I come.

PS What clothing should I pack for sitting in a bog in the drizzle drinking warm lager?

I don't know why don't f u c k off and go somewhere else instead if you're that bothered because you certainly aren't welcome here

• Reply 196 of 315
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Many of us would thank you profusely if you didn't. Bother, that is.

• Reply 197 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

Where did I say "Apple copied them lock stock and barrel."? I simply said there were tablets before Apple came out with the iPad. 

I do agree that the iPad is the better than anything before it, in fact I own a iPad 3, but to say they invented the tablet is simply not true. You should take the emotion out of your post and just look at the facts.

So what the heck was your point then?

Forget it. Rhetorical question.

• Reply 198 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I don't know why don't f u c k off and go somewhere else instead if you're that bothered because you certainly aren't welcome here

Thank you for elevating the discussion.?

• Reply 199 of 315
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thank you for elevating the discussion.?

You can f u c k off to

• Reply 200 of 315

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Many of us would thank you profusely if you didn't. Bother, that is.

Oh no, some internet tough guy has hurt my feelings. Didn't think you had anything of any real value to add.