Smart TV makers forming alliances out of fear Apple will soon dominate their industry too

Comments

• Reply 101 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    kent909 wrote: »
    What is 1080HD? BR = 1080P. If you have not seen a 4K TV then you don't really know how primitive 1080P is. When you look at your TV and you cannot tell if you are looking out a window or watching a TV, that is when you can say marginal.

I hope you enjoy your $100 audio cables. Did you use a green sharpie to mark the edge of your CDs, too? That seems like the kind of person you are.

For the majority of people, BluRay is only marginally better than DVD. Going beyond BluRay is getting into differences that are so subtle as to be undetectable.
  • Reply 102 of 160
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?

Because Apple exists to solve the problem consumers want solved and who will pay money for it being solved.

the 'TV Situation'*: "Viewing stuff on my TV is now harder than ever.  Apple, can you make it easy." (not easier... easy).

*I tend to think of Apple as 'Mr Wolf' in Pulp fiction in the "Bonnie Situation"  

I think Apple is now financially positioned and has enough critical mass in terms of customers that you can't say no to them.  If everyone has an iPad in the US (getting there pretty darned quick), why wouldn't the production company for Breaking Bad or Dexter or strike a deal directly with Apple forgo exclusivity with AMC and Showtime.  It's better for AMC and Showtime to get their cut than to let Apple go right to the show creators (thank you netflix).   Better to get 70% of everything than 100% of nothing;-)

your question reasked:  If not Apple, do you think Samsung could do that?  Sony? [think anti-trust], LG?, Panasonic?

Who is going to make Home media 'easy'?

• Reply 103 of 160
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Who knows? That's what's great about Apple, the problem though is that I have 5 cable boxes in my house. I most certainly will not buy 5 Apple branded TVs.
    I'd love nothing more than to eat my words but Apple shaking up the TV industry seems more wishful thinking than anything else. Considering the amount of rumors Apple generates if they were working on something big in the TV space (especially if it was something tombe announced yet this year) wouldn't we have heard rumors about it by now?

My guess if we see something this year it will be additional apps on the current Apple TV.
  • Reply 104 of 160
    Because Apple exists to solve the problem consumers want solved, and will pay money for it being solved.

the 'TV Situation'*: "Viewing stuff on my TV is now harder than ever.  Apple, can you make it easy." (not easier... easy).

*I tend to think of Apple as 'Mr Wolf' in Pulp fiction in the "Bonnie Situation"  

I think Apple is now financially positioned and has enough critical mass in terms of customers that you can't say no to them.  If everyone has an iPad in the US (getting there pretty darned quick), why wouldn't the production company for Breaking Bad or Dexter or strike a deal directly with Apple forgo exclusivity with AMC and Showtime.  It's better for AMC and Showtime to get their cut than to let Apple go right to the show creators (thank you netflix).   Better to get 70% of everything than 100% of nothing;-)

your question reasked:  If not Apple, do you think Samsung could do that?  Sony? [think anti-trust], LG?, Panasonic?

Who is going to make Home media 'easy'?
    I'm keeping my expectations low. But I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 105 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Who knows? That's what's great about Apple, the problem though is that I have 5 cable boxes in my house. I most certainly will not buy 5 Apple branded TVs.

outlier statistic.

And I trully think that a future $99 AppleTV (the box) will give you 90+% of what an 'Apple TV' will give you... 

• Reply 106 of 160
    technotechno Posts: 737member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxSampleXX View Post

There is not enough value to be added to the idiot box to allow Apple to sell TVs and the steep margins they demand.  If Apple really does come out with a television set, it will probably be one of their few missteps over the past few years.  That speaker they made for a while is the last blunder I recall.  Interesting, another piece of entertainment hardware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Without or with Apple, Tv makers struggle for survival, with razor thin margins. Only panels producers can capture a significant part of the added value.

this has always been the case in the electronic consumer goods industry : those who think that the only important part is the hardware (forgetting about the software, and the ecosystem) cannot survive ...

Same type of things said before they released the first iPhone. You are speaking from the point of view of those who are left behind wondering what just happened as Apple revolutionizes another market.

• Reply 107 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

And what exactly would Apple be able to do that others have failed at? I'm skeptical Apple will be able to crack this nut. It's a lot more complicated and with more intrenched interests than the music industry. And does Apple really want to get in the middle of all that?

This is identical to what people said before the iPod came out. And before the iPhone came out. And before the iPad came out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Not thinking very much like Apple.

• Reply 108 of 160
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    techno wrote: »

Same type of things said before they released the first iPhone. You are speaking from the point of view of those who are left behind wondering what just happened as Apple revolutionizes another market.

I wish you'd people would stop referring to that. This is vastly different. Here's why, in 2007 what was the iPhone? It was an iPod (which was already immensely popular) with a touch screen, a mobile device for Internet browsing like never before and last and I believe least a mobile phone. Integrating the iPod was easy because it was their device, but can Apple integrate my cable box made by Motorola, my PS3 made by Sony, my Microsoft X box 360, etc...?
  • Reply 109 of 160
    outlier statistic.

And I trully think that a future $99 AppleTV (the box) will give you 90+% of what an 'Apple TV' will give you... 
    I have a feeling Apple TV will continue to be a hobby. If there was something big going on we'd have heard rumors by now.
  • Reply 110 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    outlier statistic.

That's my thinking - an 'Apple TV' box will do almost everything that you can do by integrating it. The only exception would be if they decide to put a BR player in the TV. I could be wrong, though.

What I really think they should do is license iOS for televisions with strict quality standards. They could bury Google TV overnight.
  • Reply 111 of 160
    This is identical to what people said before the iPod came out. And before the iPhone came out. And before the iPad came out.

Not thinking very much like Apple.
    Says the one who swears up and down that Apple isn't making a television. Maybe Apple will revolutionize TV the way they did music with iTunes. I'm just skeptical. This is what Cook said at Apple's shareholder meeting earlier this year:
    http://www.macworld.com/article/1165542/cook_apples_success_take_center_stage_at_annual_shareholder_meeting.html
    Cook, in response to a shareholder urging the company to use its cash hoard to come up with an alternative to Netflix, Hulu, and the like for video-content distribution: “There are plenty of apps that provide content, and users want those apps. We get profit from selling devices...our focus is not on making a lot of money in content...An a la carte video system isn’t likely to arrive quickly, because the money is big for the companies involved.”

Let people keep dreaming that Apple is going to bury satellite and cable with their $99 black box....
  • Reply 112 of 160
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's my thinking - an 'Apple TV' box will do almost everything that you can do by integrating it. The only exception would be if they decide to put a BR player in the TV. I could be wrong, though.
    What I really think they should do is license iOS for televisions with strict quality standards. They could bury Google TV overnight.

I would've wholeheartedly agreed with you a week ago (and I know that's something I hardly ever do) until I saw that there's soon going to be a XBMC app for Android, it'll work on any device but most importantly on a Google TV without having to hack it. As of now it's only available on jail broken Apple TVs.
  • Reply 113 of 160
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Says the one who swears up and down that Apple isn't making a television. Maybe Apple will revolutionize TV the way they did music with iTunes. I'm just skeptical.

Well, yeah. I'm just putting things into perspective. 

Quote:

This is what Cook said at Apple's shareholder meeting earlier this year:

Let people keep dreaming that Apple is going to bury satellite and cable with their $99 black box....

Why in the world did he say that? Either it's double-speak or…

• Reply 114 of 160
    jragosta wrote: »
    Fat chance of Apple ever licensing their software to run on someone else's hardware. Especially when it's hardware where Apple makes most of its profit. How much money does Google make off of Google TV?
  • Reply 115 of 160
    Well, yeah. I'm just putting things into perspective. 

Why in the world did he say that? Either it's double-speak or…
    Obviously Cook is being coy on theirs plans in this space. But everything he had said gives me the impression they're dipping their toe in the water to see how it feels. As I said earlier if they were doing something big in the TV space something would have leaked by now.
  • Reply 116 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

The kicker is 'Live TV'  People want to watch it at moment of delivery and/or DVR it....  How does Apple do that?  (an antenna connection to an AppleTV box with Channel management DVR capabilities?) 

iTunes downloads/streaming goes live at the OTA broadcast time with your purchase being added in the budget make good for the show instead of this sampling system that counts way too small a group to be anything less than censorship by a vast minority. More folksgt a vote and no more Firefly being canceled after 6 eps launching letter campaigns etc. if they are smart and knock the price down to say 99 cents for under 30 minutes, 1.99 for 30-60 and 2.99 for over 60 at all three quality settings it might even vastly cut down torrents, especially if the shows are globally released at irst OTA

Sports and news, which are typically not viewed repeatedly could keep during the iOS app type stuff. Live stream the event while it happens with highlights available to stream after the fact.
  • Reply 117 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dualie wrote: »

In my view the last thing Apple should waste time on is cable boxes and interfacing with them. Cable TV is fast becoming a lame duck as people dump it because of high cost, bundling of content, the sad-sack cable boxen and their horrible user interfaces.

While I agree that Apple is likely focused on removing the need for the box, they might still provide some forms of support (should the companies want to take it) if only to prove they aren't 'scared' of the competition. Like say if they put in an API that would allow the other boys to link their blu-ray players, cable boxes etc to the Apple TV interface so you could control everything from your iPad with the Remote App. If the other boys don't update to use such a thing it wouldnt be Apples fault.
  • Reply 118 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I was just thinking the same thing. I interact with my phone more in one day than a week of interacting with my TV. I have my favorites set and with the click of one button very easily go through them.

and when you had a dumb phone was the same true?   you had 10 digits and 2 symbols...

If your TV had say an 'weather app' would you watch the news for that?

How do you access your DVR?  Your DVD?  Your NetFlix?   or literally do you have 15 channels and that's it?  How do you know what your favorites are?  How do you figure out how to watch your show when it goes into syndication...

I strongly doubt you press one button to nav your entire viewing life.

What if your phone and your TV could 'interchange' automatically?   When you walk into your room, and could just 'turn your TV on and continue interacting' would you  do it?   Or tell Siri on your phone to 'Turn on the TV and let's watch MadMen'  and it just happened?

What if your TV had FaceTime?

• Reply 119 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iTunes downloads/streaming goes live at the OTA broadcast time with your purchase being added in the budget make good for the show instead of this sampling system that counts way too small a group to be anything less than censorship by a vast minority. More folksgt a vote and no more Firefly being canceled after 6 eps launching letter campaigns etc. if they are smart and knock the price down to say 99 cents for under 30 minutes, 1.99 for 30-60 and 2.99 for over 60 at all three quality settings it might even vastly cut down torrents, especially if the shows are globally released at irst OTA

Sports and news, which are typically not viewed repeatedly could keep during the iOS app type stuff. Live stream the event while it happens with highlights available to stream after the fact.

Can't get "Peoria Live" on iTunes... Same with Cable Access Channels ("Waynes World"';-) )

• Reply 120 of 160
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So, what, when all these stupid rumors don't come true, where is there left to move? "Apple is making a game console"? I guess they could always go back to that one. What else do consumers buy? What do they generically "like"? I guess Apple could be getting back into speaker systems. Or microwaves.

I know you don't believe they are making a TV, but I think you are perhaps using an incorrect analysis to come to that conclusion.  I don't see that the choice of entering one market or another is about what consumers "generically like" for Apple.  It's always about what market or product is so f*cked up and complicated that it could benefit from a complete re-think and simplification.  

The cellphone was ripe for such a re-imagining and so is the TV.  

There are other things that could really use this treatment but mostly outside of Apple's strengths. The automobile is a perfect example.