Wired cover story highlights Steve Jobs' effect on tech leaders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs is the topic of Wired's August cover story as the popular publication investigates how the tech guru's management style affects industry leaders.

The story, titled "Am I Steve Jobs," offers lessons to be learned from the late Apple CEO's management style and samples heavily from Walter Isaacson's official biography "Steve Jobs," peppering in interviews with technology entrepreneurs and CEOs, reports Business Insider.

Despite having lost a long battle with pancreatic cancer in October of 2011, Jobs' legacy is still felt in the tech community as his innovative and sometimes aggressive leadership tactics continue to spark discussion.

In a recent interview, Isaacson noted that Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg modeled his early management style after Jobs, an anecdote that is also seen in the author's biography. Zuckerberg reportedly looked up to Jobs and had a number of both professional and private interactions with him as Facebook began to morph into the de facto standard in social media.

Steve Jobs Wired Story
Cover of Wired's August 2012 issue. | Source: Wired

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40

He wasn't a jerk he always got what he wanted, no matter the consequences. 

• Reply 2 of 40
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

I'm sort of tired of the "look how bad Steve Jobs was" angle that ignores everything else.

• Reply 3 of 40

Yeah, I saw that on the newsstand and thought about reading it. Has anyone read it?

• Reply 4 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yeah, I saw that on the newsstand and thought about reading it. Has anyone read it?

Just finished it. It's basically more Issacson stuff but with further anecdotes from other tech industry leaders and how Jobs shaped their thinking. 

• Reply 5 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm sort of tired of the "look how bad Steve Jobs was" angle that ignores everything else.

Yeah, he was mean at times but he was always right and everything he did was either perfect, or perfected later down the line.

• Reply 6 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

…he was always right…

Er… 

Quote:

…everything he did was either perfect, or perfected later down the line.

I'll grant you that for the Cube/Mini, but there're quite a few other things he was dead wrong on.

• Reply 7 of 40
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Really.  There are others out there.  For some reason Steve is thought of as a total one of a kind person.  Yet I believe there are others out there.

• Reply 8 of 40
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] began to morph into the de facto social media network it is today.

somebody needs to look up 'de facto'.

• Reply 9 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Er… 

I'll grant you that for the Cube/Mini, but there're quite a few other things he was dead wrong on.

At least his successes outweighed his failures when it was all said and done. Look at Ballmer for comparison. ;)

• Reply 10 of 40
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Yeah, he was mean at times but he was always right and everything he did was either perfect, or perfected later down the line.

Methinks one should lighten up a bit.

• Reply 11 of 40
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Really????

You did notice the comments on the left side in yellow???  (uh, and the halo?)

• Reply 12 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I'm waiting for their cover story on Steve Ballmer. But he's probably not good copy like Steve is so the magazine wouldn't sell.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    nicolbolasnicolbolas Posts: 254member

Quote:

... he wasn't a jerk, from some peoples point of view ;)!!

and i would say most people would view him as a jerk after reading his biography

• Reply 14 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

and i would say most people would view him as a jerk after reading his biography

No matter what anyone says, the guy knew how to turn a buck.

• Reply 15 of 40
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    I think Steve inspired a certain kind of "madness"... Eg. Voodoo PC, the guy around the time Voodoo was bought by HP, was talking up a lot of stuff and was an intense admirer of Apple. Strangely, nothing came of HP-Voodoo. Hence the "madness".
  • Reply 16 of 40
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

No matter what anyone says, the guy knew how to turn a buck.

Way over my head on the correct answer, was Steve a jerk or just ruthless/perfectionist?
    It seems(just my opinion, no facts)... Ruthless seems to be a factor/characteristic for these top dog players. It's business, not personal.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

somebody needs to look up 'de facto'.

Perhaps you are the one that needs to look up the meaning of de facto. The AI article I read says: "...as Facebook began to morph into the de facto standard in social media," which sounds quite appropriate, and rather different from your quoted snippet.

• Reply 18 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Really.  There are others out there.  For some reason Steve is thought of as a total one of a kind person.  Yet I believe there are others out there.

So what's the big holdup?

Still waiting . . . since about 1977. 

• Reply 19 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Way over my head on the correct answer, was Steve a jerk or just ruthless/perfectionist?

Why not both. Not that it matters. He got the RESULTS. 

I'm more than willing to give someone like that a pass. Easily. If only the industry were full of those like him. Imagine how much further evolved tech would be. 

But instead we're cursed with clowns like Ballmer, whats-his-name running RIM, Elop, and that guy from Acer, among others. 

Which is fine, because all you need to do is look toward Cupertino for that tall glass of ice-water in all this hell. 

• Reply 20 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    At least his successes outweighed his failures when it was all said and done. Look at Ballmer for comparison. ;)

Meanwhile Ballmer simply outweighs .....