Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    Yep.

In no way was it illogical. It is merely another example. If your complaint is that I didn't post a picture of an iOS device and an Android device, I'll gladly do that to stop the pedantry.

I'm ignoring the fact that "brand awareness" has absolutely nothing to do with anything in this argument and asking if you personally think the knockoff product would be in any way comparable to the real thing.

What topic I keep "avoiding"? The topic that is off-topic in all threads save those dedicated specifically to complaining about Huddler? That topic? The one that I've never tried to cover up and have actually helped users to ameliorate?

Your point has failed. Instead of losing graciously or providing extra evidence that you can't judge a knockoff by its' cover, you're going every which where in an attempt to cloud the entire discussion. Stop.

Losing graciously? Didn't realize this was a pissing contest out of middle school.

I'll put it in plain english. You are clouding the entire discussion or just very confused.

Someone said try an android phone and then compare against an iphone to make objective comparisons before knocking one or the other. Then you responded you don't need to try something else to know which is better. Now your spinning this into being about knockoffs? The point was regarding comparing two mobile os platforms. Go back and follow the conversation. You will see how your spin failed. Cheers.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Asim Soofi View Post

Someone said try an android phone and then compare against an iphone to make objective comparisons before knocking one or the other. Then you responded you don't need to try something else to know which is better.

Yep, you've missed the implication of my post entirely. 

• Reply 103 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR View Post

I made no claim about Android being superior in concept and execution. I am simply saying that if Apple turn out yet another small iPhone I will be inclined to try something else. I liked  the larger screen that much. There is also the matter of 4G. If the new iPhone is not 3G and has a small screen, it is a virtual certainty that I will not buy it.

As to iOS, I did 'ding' it. Just a few examples: It has huge memory leaks which degrade performance and require frequent restarts...sounds like an old PC, huh. The "native" apps, Safari, Mail, etc are actually part of the OS (an old Microsoft trick). If they experience a corruption, you get to perform a "direct firmware installation" which might better called a complete reinstallation, which brings up another fundamental shortcoming. If you have backed up through Safari and attempt to save your app organization (via a procedure Apple did not create and should have had from the get-go) the old (corrupt) app is reinstalled. You can not perform a individual reinstallation of the problematic app. I have not yet verified whether this is the case with iCloud or not.

On some occasions, the native apps have begun crashing continuously in the background which kills the battery very rapidly, which is your only clue that something untoward is occurring. (99.44% of the crashes I have experienced have been with the native apps...Mail and Safari).

Some things are the complete failure of the team to implement obvious features such as an integrated password manager (like Keychain). Dealing with passwords on the iPhone is a PITA even with 3rd party apps such as 1Password.

There are other problems, but I am not here to provide an exhaustive overview of iOS's shortcomings, but to respond to your inquiry which I have interpreted as "what sort of problems have you had with iOS". I have no extended experience with  any of the numerous Android flavors and so I can not, from my own personal experience, say that they are better, worse or about the same in terms of trouble. I can say that I am extremely disappointed that the iOS team has done what, in my opinion, is such a very poor job. With the experience of OS X the team should have done much better in concept as well as execution.

In case you are wondering why I find having to reorganize the installed apps to be such a nuisance, try getting a couple of hundred apps reorganized the way you want when you have to start over from scratch because a troublesome native app was not adequately tested and is a part of the OS rather than a separately installable application. The experience just might make you less than thrilled about the situation, especially when it happens a few times. I find it inexcusable that the iOS team failed to create a way to preserve the app organization when doing this or when transferring them to a new device...they do want you to buy the new models when they come out, don't they?

Apple also fails to provide adequate tools to the Apple Stores to adequately perform hardware diagnostics of the device which I also find inexcusable. The whole situation, it seems to me, is the result of a failure of leadership and thought about the user experience. User experience is supposed to be the hallmark of Apple products, isn't it?

I have had 4 iphones. Two I gave back when they failed to function in anything like an acceptable fashion and the Apple store was uninterested in doing anything. Another had the "known issue" home button/key failure which resulted in its replacement. (For once I felt like Apple "did the right thing".) The one I presently have is probably, but I don't actually know, experiencing iOS problems rather than hardware problems. Those are not very good odds in my view.

So there you have a little bit of my experience as background to explain why I am prepared to try something other than an iPhone if the new model is not "up to par". I hope that is an adequate explanation for you to understand my position.

Cheers.

Make that "if it is not 4G".

• Reply 104 of 112
    Yep, you've missed the implication of my post entirely. 

No. You missed making one of substance and resort to sarcasm in hopes it diverts from your inability to make a thoughtful & unbiased one.
  • Reply 105 of 112

No. You missed making one of substance and resort to sarcasm in hopes it diverts from your inability to make a thoughtful & unbiased one.

I was being in no way sarcastic. Get over it.

• Reply 106 of 112
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Millions of phones with large screens have been sold.

Folk keep quoting this figure, but I'm not sure where it comes from. Samsung (who are killing every other Android phone) doesn't break down their phone sales figures, so who knows how well the big phones are selling.

• Reply 107 of 112
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR View Post

I made no claim about Android being superior in concept and execution. I am simply saying that if Apple turn out yet another small iPhone I will be inclined to try something else. I liked  the larger screen that much. There is also the matter of 4G. If the new iPhone is not 3G and has a small screen, it is a virtual certainty that I will not buy it.

As to iOS, I did 'ding' it. Just a few examples: It has huge memory leaks which degrade performance and require frequent restarts...sounds like an old PC, huh. The "native" apps, Safari, Mail, etc are actually part of the OS (an old Microsoft trick). If they experience a corruption, you get to perform a "direct firmware installation" which might better called a complete reinstallation, which brings up another fundamental shortcoming. If you have backed up through Safari and attempt to save your app organization (via a procedure Apple did not create and should have had from the get-go) the old (corrupt) app is reinstalled. You can not perform a individual reinstallation of the problematic app. I have not yet verified whether this is the case with iCloud or not.

On some occasions, the native apps have begun crashing continuously in the background which kills the battery very rapidly, which is your only clue that something untoward is occurring. (99.44% of the crashes I have experienced have been with the native apps...Mail and Safari).

Some things are the complete failure of the team to implement obvious features such as an integrated password manager (like Keychain). Dealing with passwords on the iPhone is a PITA even with 3rd party apps such as 1Password.

There are other problems, but I am not here to provide an exhaustive overview of iOS's shortcomings, but to respond to your inquiry which I have interpreted as "what sort of problems have you had with iOS". I have no extended experience with  any of the numerous Android flavors and so I can not, from my own personal experience, say that they are better, worse or about the same in terms of trouble. I can say that I am extremely disappointed that the iOS team has done what, in my opinion, is such a very poor job. With the experience of OS X the team should have done much better in concept as well as execution.

In case you are wondering why I find having to reorganize the installed apps to be such a nuisance, try getting a couple of hundred apps reorganized the way you want when you have to start over from scratch because a troublesome native app was not adequately tested and is a part of the OS rather than a separately installable application. The experience just might make you less than thrilled about the situation, especially when it happens a few times. I find it inexcusable that the iOS team failed to create a way to preserve the app organization when doing this or when transferring them to a new device...they do want you to buy the new models when they come out, don't they?

Apple also fails to provide adequate tools to the Apple Stores to adequately perform hardware diagnostics of the device which I also find inexcusable. The whole situation, it seems to me, is the result of a failure of leadership and thought about the user experience. User experience is supposed to be the hallmark of Apple products, isn't it?

I have had 4 iphones. Two I gave back when they failed to function in anything like an acceptable fashion and the Apple store was uninterested in doing anything. Another had the "known issue" home button/key failure which resulted in its replacement. (For once I felt like Apple "did the right thing".) The one I presently have is probably, but I don't actually know, experiencing iOS problems rather than hardware problems. Those are not very good odds in my view.

So there you have a little bit of my experience as background to explain why I am prepared to try something other than an iPhone if the new model is not "up to par". I hope that is an adequate explanation for you to understand my position.

Cheers.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Yup, you should move.

• Reply 108 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Folk keep quoting this figure, but I'm not sure where it comes from. Samsung (who are killing every other Android phone) doesn't break down their phone sales figures, so who knows how well the big phones are selling.

It's even worse than that.

Samsung never tells how many phones it has actually sold, just the number it ships.  So who knows if Samsung has ever sold ANY phones?   

• Reply 109 of 112

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

And with… what is it, 60% of AT&T and 70% of Verizon smartphones sold being iPhones (please correct me; those aren't up to date), where ARE any of those Android devices being sold? Are we expected to believe that Sprint (pshh) and T-Mobile have large enough marketshares to fill the gap?

What percentage of Sprint phones are iPhones, too?

• Reply 110 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

It's even worse than that.

Samsung never tells how many phones it has actually sold, just the number it ships.  So who knows if Samsung has ever sold ANY phones?   

Fair enough, but it appears that the large screen phones are selling "well", whatever that may mean. However many that may be, the proposition is simply that a larger screen seems desirable to a significant number of people who would like one in the next iPhone.

• Reply 111 of 112
    I was being in no way sarcastic. Get over it.

Thanks for proving my point. Cheers.
  • Reply 112 of 112

Thanks for proving my point.

I disproved your point about ten posts ago. Do you honestly need spelled out why the knockoff PMP is a valid analogy?