Demand for Apple's next iPhone at an 'unprecedented level'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

This is how the NYT would report this: iPhone interest waning as 29% more people don't know if they will get an iPhone for their next smartphone purchase.

How is that 'ironic'?

It's clearly the opposite of what we should all expect from an Apple-focused website in July 2012 — over 5 years after the iPhone, id est Safari for iOS hit the shelves — has trouble doing something as commonplace as posting in a forum.
  • Reply 42 of 112
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member

Well, yea, people are waiting because Apple are very late to the 4G party and the screen is too small. I am not going to say that this is a make or break phone for Apple, but it is a very important one. If Apple under delivers on this one there just could be a lot of new Android users. If you have not yet done so, pick up one of the larger screen phones at the store and play with it a few minutes. The screen size is a game changer. Jonny Ive is so fixated on small and smaller that he may just have overlooked functionality.

• Reply 43 of 112
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is how the NYT would report this: iPhone interest waning as 29% more people don't know if they will get an iPhone for their next smartphone purchase.

Apple's New iPhone to Launch in Cloud of Uncertainty

• Reply 44 of 112

Buying another iphone is a total waste of money, just because its slimmer and a bit bigger wont change anything, all phones in the market r slim and big, whats inside the phone that matter, lack of innovation makes u repeat urself over and over again with a little tweak here or there, why people loved apple in the first place, whats the main reason , INNOVATION, we say apple changed the world and its true, though their devices was so limited, alot of basic stuff wasnt there, a simple copy and paste took apple a while to implement it, even a very simple thing like setting our music as ringtones apple wont allow that just to make u go and buy them, these r just a few examples crossed mu mind of a long list, that forced people to go and jailbreak ( look at the name jail-break), but still we stayed with apple coz we liked the new innovation apple brought to us, manipulating a device, browsing the internet with my fingers so easily, but that innovation is everywhere now, and as a consumer im looking at more ways to expand my experience with the phone, the freedom with my own phone, carriers tie us up with contracts and apple tie us up with limited software, even if its easy to use, its becoming boring, do u prefer an easy game or hard game, do u prefer to drive the easy automatic car or more challenging and u like the control of a manuel car, thats why i never buy locked phones and i wont buy apple again unless this have changed coz they dont have anything special now between their hands, Android is selling like cakes now 50M so far, not coz people hate apple, when i want to pay money and change my phone, i want something new, look, feel, customization, freedom, innovation, but selling iphone 4 that people have for 2 years and get iphone 5 is a totally waste of money, they'd rather stick with their iphone 4, or buy the new most advanced phone in the world Galaxy S3 like all people are doing right now , selling more than 50M so far.

• Reply 45 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed, it totally sucks on iPad!

This site totally sucks on an iPhone, too. Reading the comments is a matter of zooming in and scrolling left to right as you go. The site also seems to disable the Apple spell checker's ability to correct a mistake by right clicking.

• Reply 46 of 112
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow, this is truly unbelievable given that you have absolutely no clue what the 6th iPhone looks like in any capacity.

Go on - say 'iPhone 5'.... everyone else does :). If it is released as 'the iPhone' you can call it the 6th iPhone, and if it is called the iPhone 5 (i know it won't - silly us all) it will just be an identifier. It really is the 6th iPhone!  ;)

• Reply 47 of 112
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

How is that 'ironic'?

Because this is an Apple-centric site, but the site performs poorly on iOS Safari. I've also noticed that you cannot log in from an iOS device at the point of trying to make a comment, and the 'Quote' links behaving unexpectedly. Also, when right/cntr-clicking on text within these editors, all that comes up is 'Paste' - this happens in Safari or Firefox on Mac.

All of this is an aside from the content of this story though - perhaps there are more appropriate places to raise this.

• Reply 48 of 112

Can't believe AI missed the rest of this story.

Changewave did the same survey in June asking people about the Galaxy SIII and they got..............

2% Very Likely

7% Somehwat Likely

Compared to the 14% and 17% for the iPhone 5, I think that's quite pathetic.

• Reply 49 of 112
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

The iPhone 4's design is still one of the very, very few, that doesn't feel like total junk when you hold it. 

The design is iconic. The *current* design works, it's incredibly elegant, and it's probably best to wait until release before making any conclusions about the design. 

• Reply 50 of 112
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Well I call it classic as in classic car for sure, .... iconic...hmmm not to me. coke bottle is iconic... mustang is iconic... if Apple keeps this 'form factor' then maybe it will be iconic in time.

that said, a lot of people do like the larger phones.... aka Samsumg GSIII, hope Apple doesnt leave anything on the table just to keep the 'slim'  one handed form factor.

• Reply 51 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Can someone explain how the 4s was just a 'minor' upgrade?  Just because it didn't have a case redesign?  LTE?  What exactly do people expect the new phone to have to be considered 'major' or not stagnating?

• Reply 52 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The iPhone 4's design is still one of the very, very few, that doesn't feel like total junk when you hold it. 

The design is iconic. The *current* design works, it's incredibly elegant, and it's probably best to wait until release before making any conclusions about the design. 

I agree with this.  I tried out a Lumia at an AT&T store and it felt really cheap, you knew it was plastic (even if it's a high quality plastic).  When I hold the iPhone in my hand it feels solid, like a brick.  I think there are very few phones out there that can match the build quality of the iPhone.  Maybe the HTC One X.  The Galaxy S III is selling well because it's Samsung and has gotten major hype but it still looks like crap.  Of course all of this is in my humble opinion. ;-)

• Reply 53 of 112
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    I will only buy it if it comes out on t mobile prepaid. I will not shell out over a hundo a month for horrible service. Why reward the big telecom companies with my hard earned money? The service in Europe is outstanding for less the cost. No way Jose.
  • Reply 54 of 112
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Agreed, it totally sucks on iPad!

then you should try using it on the iPhone. at least on an iPad you can read it. 

as for this article, seems like we have one of these 'demand' surveys saying basically the same thing every year. It would be news if folks weren't saying they were fo' sho' gonna get an iPhone this year. 

• Reply 55 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trblzr View Post

My big question will be what effect the 4G capability will have on the data plans. I have four iPhones (2 iPhone 4 and 2 iPhone 4s) devices that are grandfathered into the unlimited family data plan with AT&T. As I understand AT&T will not have an unlimited option for 4G. In that case I'm not sure what happens with the family plan etc. I may have to look at all of the carriers to see which one would work best for us.

We don't know. But don't be shocked if they pull a move similar to Verizon. 

Verizon's new scheme is that you can NOT get upgrade pricing and keep your unlimited plan. You have to pay full price to keep your old plan (and that might be true for grandfathered voice, texting and even service fees on additional lines for family plans). You want the $199-399 pricing you have to basically scrap your contract and sign up as if you are a newbie and under the new plans. 

ATT is likely to pull a similar move, perhaps not this year but I'd say by next year. They want to get rid of the whole unlimited plan and now that Verizon has had the balls to do it first, ATT can go the same route and say they are just moving in line with the trends of the market blah blah BS BS. 

• Reply 56 of 112
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

41%

14% Very Likely + 17% Somewhat Likely = 31% 

I think you are including the 9% Don't Know (plus rounding error).

• Reply 57 of 112

Quote:

Exactly! I don't understand why people say they "hate" the design we've been seeing, since they loved the iPhone 4 design.

That's easy math. Folks hate the alleged current design because it is the iPhone 4 design. 

see some folks feel that it is a sacrosanct law of the universe that things like phones, tablets, software etc must get a complete overhaul of features and UI every couple of years or it magically turns into decrepit, outdated, unusable crap and the creators are morons that are out of ideas etc. 

So they see this design that looks just like before and it justifies their belief that Steve Jobs was Apple and everyone left behind are idiots that couldn't design a sheet of paper. Which is why they are doing the same dumb thing as the years before. Total Fail etc

• Reply 58 of 112
    sranger wrote: »
    An Apple fan site that is not compatible with an Apple device is a bit Ironic.....

Yeah, that is annoying. The editor is broken and shows a lot of missing image icons regardless of what device you use. It is also quite unfriendly to small screens. It looks acceptable on the MacBook running Safari, though.
  • Reply 59 of 112
    joelsalt wrote: »
    [SIZE=18px]Apple's New iPhone to Launch in Cloud of Uncertainty[/SIZE]

Please. People have already made up their mind one way or the other, with some sitting in the fence. It's the NYT that is uncertain.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Well, yea, people are waiting because Apple are very late to the 4G party and the screen is too small. I am not going to say that this is a make or break phone for Apple, but it is a very important one. If Apple under delivers on this one there just could be a lot of new Android users. If you have not yet done so, pick up one of the larger screen phones at the store and play with it a few minutes. The screen size is a game changer. Jonny Ive is so fixated on small and smaller that he may just have overlooked functionality.

Apple did extensive testing and found 3.5 to be the ideal size. Just because the industry has moved to bigger screens does not mean the average human hands has gotten bigger. The 3.5 screen is still the ideal size.  Hopefully Apple does not adhere to social pressure and keeps using the 3.5 screen.  Move the buttons around a tad and use a different connector and people will still buy it.