Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ombra2105 wrote: »
    You can probably expect it on the App Store between 10:00 A.M. - 11:00 A.M. Pacific Time. Might be best to wait a few days while the initial crowd downloads it.
    The wait may be wise simply because of congestion.

On that topic, has anyone noticed a slow down in iTunes/Mac App store download speed over the last two weeks or so? I'm on a 30Mbps network and yet most of the time I get 0.5MB/sec. Both on Mac and PC.

Yes I have. I've noticed slowness with XCode updates too. This on an otherwise fast WiFi connection.
  • Reply 22 of 96

Have any developers out there tried it on older hardware? Say... a 2009 MacBook Pro? Just for example...

Is it worth installing, or are the requirements cutting it too close? Technically I think it has all the specs needed.

• Reply 23 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topdrag View Post

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro and I am running OS X 10.8 and have had no issues at all. Though I do have the max 8GB of RAM.

You can use 32GB of RAM in an Ivy Bridge (current model) and 16 in the MacBook Pros that have been available for the majority of 2012.

• Reply 24 of 96
    topdragtopdrag Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can use 32GB of RAM in an Ivy Bridge (current model) and 16 in the MacBook Pros that have been available for the majority of 2012.

I’m sorry I made a type I have a 2010 model not 2012. Got it fixed now.

• Reply 25 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

"Apple seeded the OS X Mountain Lion gold master to developers with no known issues."

Yeah, right.

It says there are no known issues, not that there aren't any issues at all. In other words, people just haven't found issues yet which doesn't mean that when released they won't appear.

It's a different thing to seed to mostly developers, which in many cases only test their own apps, than to seed to us consumers, who install loads of apps from several developers and mess with the whole system..

• Reply 26 of 96

Apple has lost the plot for content creators. So when no one is able to create content on the Mac anymore what the hell are all the consumers going to look at?

The most boring update in Apple history unfortunately.

• Reply 27 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Apple has lost the plot for content creators.

The most boring update in Apple history unfortunately.

In what way? 

Hey, that works for both sentences!

• Reply 28 of 96

Because they have added nothing from what I can see which expedites content creation. 

• Reply 29 of 96

Quote:

Because they have added nothing from what I can see which expedites content creation. 

So unless Apple makes it such that worse software can be churned out more quickly, they have failed…

• Reply 30 of 96

You are clearly not a content creator. For consumers who wish to have a more integrated OS with social media fine. However it seems that Apple has long ago left behind it's core community and sure financially it makes sense in the short term but long term I think they may come to regret it. Their recent hardware upgrades or lack of was a joke as one simple example never mind Lion+ etc

• Reply 31 of 96

Quote:

You are clearly not a content creator.

Okay.

Was I wrong, or did you just decide not to correct me?

Quote:

Their recent hardware upgrades or lack of was a joke as one simple example never mind Lion+ etc

Since you didn't answer the last one, I don't expect one here, but "joke" how?

• Reply 32 of 96
    I'll wait for you guys to try it first, and then I'll install it on my iMac if reports of issues are not too numerous. (:
  • Reply 33 of 96

Tallest Skil, you clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about....

• Reply 34 of 96

Quote:

????

And you've yet to provide an example of what you're talking about…

• Reply 35 of 96
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

You are clearly not a content creator. For consumers who wish to have a more integrated OS with social media fine. However it seems that Apple has long ago left behind it's core community and sure financially it makes sense in the short term but long term I think they may come to regret it. Their recent hardware upgrades or lack of was a joke as one simple example never mind Lion+ etc

Maybe if you just said what kind of content you have in mind. Do you mean video editing, sound recording, cartoon drawing, what? Because I create content all the time and my MacBook works just fine.

• Reply 36 of 96
    kalltkallt Posts: 13member

Last year I upgraded to Lion right away as soon as it went online and actually experienced no major issues, besides getting accustomed to the new features. I am thinking of doing the same, but keeping a backup ready just in case. Even though I find the new features underwhelming, particularly the social-media integration and sharing, I like having the latest update of software in hopes of achieving a more stable system. Especially Safari and Mail should be more decent, although the responses have been mixed.

• Reply 37 of 96
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Maybe if you just said what kind of content you have in mind. Do you mean video editing, sound recording, cartoon drawing, what? Because I create content all the time and my MacBook works just fine.

Maybe that poster specializes in creating grass roots fear and loathing? (although all of those last post seemed pretty effective and would have been fine having been created on Mountain Lion.)

• Reply 38 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by KALLT View Post

Last year I upgraded to Lion right away as soon as it went online and actually experienced no major issues, besides getting accustomed to the new features. I am thinking of doing the same, but keeping a backup ready just in case. Even though I find the new features underwhelming, particularly the social-media integration and sharing, I like having the latest update of software in hopes of achieving a more stable system. Especially Safari and Mail should be more decent, although the responses have been mixed.

I like to tweet and blog about each and every edit I make as I struggle through attempting to "create content" on Lion.

Perhaps some of you have read my blog?

"Random Mobile Phone Snapshots with Progressive Edits of Same — Includubg My Complaints About OS X as it Hinders my Important Work"

Sorry I'm kidding. I just can't resist.

No the link is not broken.

There is no such blog (see my tweet.)

• Reply 39 of 96

Tallest Skil is simply asking you questions which you refuse to answer. Your reply simply shows you really can't back up what you say.

• Reply 40 of 96

I have a friend who says that Lion has been really bad for him (he says it is messing up under intensive use of multiple accounts.)

I have yet to experience that problem and have not read of any such problem with others.

I don't care for the lauchpad interface though (I'd like to reorder the screens.)

And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)