Apple to release Mountain Lion Wednesday on Mac App Store

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

Figures. I just installed 10.7 on a work machine yesterday. My primary machine is still running 10.6. It'll probably take the IT gurus a few months before blessing 10.8, though.

I _really_ need a new machine at home now. I still have a white iMac that won't run 10.7 or 10.8.

- Jasen.

• Reply 82 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Tallest Skil is simply asking you questions which you refuse to answer. Your reply simply shows you really can't back up what you say.

Rubber band scrolling. Stupid idea on OSX as now in the Finder you scroll down and you want to access the last file it bounces up so you can't quickly click on it, Also in a textarea box on a webpage it scrolls outside the box. And no you cannot switch this off without switching off smooth scrolling altogether. Still no tabbed Finder, multiple clip board or attach notes to files. The way Expose and Spaces was changed from SL. Dull grey icons making it less immediately obvious what they are. Reduction in mouse gestures as they are moving to trackpad which is not possible to use if doing precise graphics work. I could go on.

I never said it wasn't possible to create content on Lion but they really haven't added anything new to expedite workflow and have in fact made it worse. All the social media integration is fine if people want to use it but give us pro's some more benefits too.

• Reply 83 of 96
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member

I agree, it's just reverse. They call it 'natural scrolling' (have they given us 'unnatural scrolling' for years???)

• Reply 84 of 96
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

The most boring update in Apple history unfortunately.

I would say Lion was.  Slightly slower performance (in my case) than Snow Leopard.  iCloud wasn't out yet.  All you really got were a few gestures, launchpad, mission control and a slightly less functional calendar (which they are fixing on ML).  Although the new mail was a really nice change.

I still liked Lion and thought it was better than SL, but Mountain Lion is a much bigger update than Lion (originally) was.  I can't wait for notifications, a performance bump, much improved safari, tweaked mail, fixed calendar (side month views), power nap, iMessage, synced notes (finally!), better iCloud functionality- particularly with email, etc.  It's going to be very very very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

The way Expose and Spaces was changed from SL.

Lion.

Reduction in mouse gestures as they are moving to trackpad.

Not reduction- just not adding a couple.  Magic Mouse still works like in Lion.

• Reply 85 of 96

And Mountain Lion is launched!

• Reply 86 of 96
    gyorpbgyorpb Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

I agree, it's just reverse. They call it 'natural scrolling' (have they given us 'unnatural scrolling' for years???)

No. In the old system, you scrolled the scroll bars. With the two-finger gesture on a trackpad, you scroll the content.

.tsooJ

• Reply 87 of 96
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Rubber band scrolling.

And this somehow makes it harder to create content…

Stupid idea on OSX…

But not iOS, somehow.

as now in the Finder you scroll down and you want to access the last file it bounces up so you can't quickly click on it

defaults write -g NSScrollViewRubberbanding -int 0

Still no tabbed Finder, multiple clip board or attach notes to files.

Making it harder to create content…

Reduction in mouse gestures as they are moving to trackpad which is not possible to use if doing precise graphics work.

If you're doing 'precise graphics work', you're not using mouse gestures. You're not using a mouse at all.

I could go on.

Please do.

• Reply 88 of 96

Quote:

If you're doing 'precise graphics work', you're not using mouse gestures. You're not using a mouse at all.

I never said it makes it harder to create content I said it does nothing to expedite workflow and with Lion they in fact made it worse in some ways.

Re mouse how would you know you said yourself that you are not a content creator.

The iOSification of OSX will undoubtedly continue as Apple are very much a consumer company and they make far more money that way and it is cheaper for them to have a single unified OS and frankly things like the GUI for Address book and iCal just look naff. 

Thanks for the rubber band scroll tip.

• Reply 89 of 96

Quote:

I never said it makes it harder to create content I said it does nothing to expedite workflow and with Lion they in fact made it worse in some ways.

So it "makes the workflow worse", which as a result… makes it harder to create content. How do you not draw that conclusion?

Re mouse how would you know you said yourself that you are not a content creator.

Uh… 

The iOSification of OSX will undoubtedly continue…

Duh; eventually we'll have a multitouch desktop OS with no mouse whatsoever.

…as Apple are very much a consumer company and they make far more money that way…

But that's not an explanation for the former.

…it is cheaper for them to have a single unified OS…

That's debatable. It's also wrong to think a single OS would work in both places. I would hope Apple knows better.

…and frankly things like the GUI for Address book and iCal just look naff. 

There's always Windows 8 for you.

• Reply 90 of 96
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

as now in the Finder you scroll down and you want to access the last file it bounces up so you can't quickly click on it

defaults write -g NSScrollViewRubberbanding -int 0

Nice, but how was anyone supposed to know about that? (unless they have a handy friend like you?) Most people would consider this an "arcane work-around" or a "esoteric secret" rather than an option or a solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Still no tabbed Finder, multiple clip board or attach notes to files.

LOL.

Isn't Mission Control a sort of "tabbed Finder?" What could be easier—squeeze and select the space you want, (or command tab to the app/workspace you want.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Reduction in mouse gestures as they are moving to trackpad which is not possible to use if doing precise graphics work.

I use a mouse for precise graphics work all the time. A stylus and a brush have different uses, both of which may or may not be optimal for different kinds of precise work.

• Reply 91 of 96
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

The iOSification of OSX will undoubtedly continue as Apple are very much a consumer company and they make far more money that way and it is cheaper for them to have a single unified OS . . . 

Nothing wrong with being a consumer company (I would call it "user-centered.") The OSes are already unified at the core. Some parts have been swapped out or removed, and some aspects of the UI are differentiated. Doing this is technically and financially trivial for Apple. In fact, that has always been a major thrust of their product strategy.

The reason for the differentiation (and the melding, in some areas) is for the benefit of the users. Battery life, ease of use, sharing useful new UI elements where it makes sense, etc.

We'll never see a truly "single unified OS" because the contexts of the different platforms and the goals of the users are the driving force of the OSes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

. . . and frankly things like the GUI for Address book and iCal just look naff. 

I'm with you there! Just over the top.

Hard to believe Steve signed off on that!

• Reply 92 of 96
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Apple has lost the plot for content creators.

Hardly. 

Me and my boys (some folks like to call us Hollywood) are still creating tons of stuff on our Macs. You'll have plenty of content to consume. Made on a Mac or otherwise. 

And most of those Macs are on Lion and have been for months. The few that are not are due to the 3rd party software companies being lazy in updating their stuff so it requires Rosetta. But the moment that is covered, those machines will be moved up. 

And it might shock you to find out that several companies are in fact using that "useless" Final Cut Pro X for some content and plan to keep using it as new seasons launch etc. Which was how they planned it when they bought it (i.e., keep using Studio 3 while the editors learn the new software and plan to start using it around a year later)

• Reply 93 of 96
    adreamadream Posts: 1member
    come and share your grief if you have an orphaned MacPro

[URL=https://www.facebook.com/AppleBringMountainLionSupportToEarlyMacPros]https://www.facebook.com/AppleBringMountainLionSupportToEarlyMacPros[/URL]

hopefully if enough people shout, they might bring 32/64bit kernel split back
  • Reply 94 of 96

Quote:

Originally Posted by adream View Post

come and share your grief if you have an orphaned MacPro

https://www.facebook.com/AppleBringMountainLionSupportToEarlyMacPros

hopefully if enough people shout, they might bring 32/64bit kernel split back

It already works on the first gen… That's a complete waste.

• Reply 95 of 96
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If Lion is crashing all the time you are doing something seriously wrong.  

It's arguably the least crashable OS ever made since OS-X is king (queen?) of "non-crashability" in general and gets better at it with every iteration.  

I'd argue with you on that, go to www.support.apple.com and spend some time in the Lion forums.  You could be an Internet hero solving everyones problems...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I have a friend who says that Lion has been really bad for him (he says it is messing up under intensive use of multiple accounts.)

I have yet to experience that problem and have not read of any such problem with others.

I don't care for the lauchpad interface though (I'd like to reorder the screens.)

And it took me forever to get used to the new scrolling (many years of conditioning to overcome.)

Yep, that's just one of the many issues I'm having...  There are also a lot of other great ones like users not appearing in Groups in the Server App but appear in Workgroup Manager.  Don't even get me started with folder sharing and group permissions!  ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

There are some things I dislike about Lion, but it has never crashed on me. 

Consider yourself lucky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Stick an large SDD in place of the HD get Trim Enabler if older MBP and upgrade to Mountain Lion. I did all this today (I have a dev account so have GM ML) and my mid 2010 MBP i7 is running 10 times faster plus it is silent and cold. Been working sitting up in bed with Mac on lap, normally the battery would be flat by now and I could fry eggs on it. It is stone cold and the battery % has hardly moved. Oh boy am I a happy camper.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.  I was going to put an SDD in my oldest machine to get another year or two out of it but since it won't run ML, it's not worth it.  I may do it on my 2010 MPB though...  Are you running VMware by any chance?  If so any issues with ML?

Quote:

Originally Posted by erhard58 View Post

I don't get it, seems like a few users have issues with Lion playing up on their system.

I've not had one ounce of problem with Lion or with Snow Leopard before that. Would be interesting to see some of these setups which have problems with Lion, I think part of some of the problem is that there could be too many tweaks and/or customization of individuals systems, be it hard ware or soft ware, causing the OS to play up!

I'll be installing Mountain Lion on our Mini, iMac and MacBook Air without any hesitation! 

I keep my machines as bare bones as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have a theory that a lot of Lion reported speed issues (not all perhaps but many) are related to the massive increase of internet dependent processes going on compared to Snow Leopard. Anyone with an old Netgear router or running on some slow internet connection would take a massive hit in apparent performance.

Newest Airport Base Station and I have Verizon's Fios' ~35 (can't remember the exact number at the moment) up and down plan.

• Reply 96 of 96

We have had 2 machines have the kernel panic as you described. What can we do to fix this?