Apple's profits rise 20% on sales of 26M iPhones, 17M iPads, and 4M Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

A great quarter, but the "analysts" were expecting revenues of $37B.  Shares are down 6% in aftermarket trading...

The *average* was $37B, Apple actually beat the lower estimates.  

• Reply 22 of 78

Should be a good buying opportunity in the next few weeks.

• Reply 22 of 78
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I understand that a 20% yoy rise may seems good, but this is a horrible quarter for Apple.   The iPhone sales are such a huge miss, the other metrics are actually pretty fair, but with 50% of Apple profit coming from the iPhone, it had a huge impact on profit.

Its the worst Apple quarter I can remember, its much worst than the october 2011 quarter considering we are still 1 quarter away from the iPhone refresh.  That being said, this may be a great time to buy either Apple stocks for the long term or option leaps in 2014, if you believe Apple can still compete on the phone side with the new iPhone.

I don't see how 26 million iPhone sales are a huge miss. A refresh is coming soon and I'm sure millions are waiting for it. iPad sales are way up and Mac sales are up. How is this a horrible quarter for Apple? 

• Reply 24 of 78
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    boltsfan17 wrote: »
    I don't see how 26 million iPhone sales are a huge miss. A refresh is coming soon and I'm sure millions are waiting for it. iPad sales are way up and Mac sales are up. How is this a horrible quarter for Apple? 
    And iPhone sales are actually UP year over year. The panic is ridiculous. Apple is doing just fine.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I understand that a 20% yoy rise may seems good, but this is a horrible quarter for Apple.   The iPhone sales are such a huge miss, the other metrics are actually pretty fair, but with 50% of Apple profit coming from the iPhone, it had a huge impact on profit.

Its the worst Apple quarter I can remember, its much worst than the october 2011 quarter considering we are still 1 quarter away from the iPhone refresh.  That being said, this may be a great time to buy either Apple stocks for the long term or option leaps in 2014, if you believe Apple can still compete on the phone side with the new iPhone.

I think you are really overstating things here.  They beat the low estimates.  

They made bundles of money, just not as much as the most bullish analysts thought they should.  Nothing has fundamentally changed about the company or it's value proposition.  All sales are up, growth is up etc.  The rest is PR. 

• Reply 26 of 78
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

Should be a good buying opportunity in the next few weeks.

Yup. I allowed for this drop with my leverage. Time to load up again. ;)

• Reply 27 of 78
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    This is a bad miss

Apple needs to move faster on multiple fronts. It is ridiculous they have five stores in China still - after talking ad naseum quarter after quarter about how it is a priority. They have allowed a 7 inch market to develop under their noses (yes, I know it is coming). They seem literally incapable of increasing PC share materially. They have no clear prepaid phone strategy. And it took them 4 months to get the iPad into China

I don't want to see Apple be reactionary. But I as an investor and heavy user want to see it move faster

The time is now Tim
  • Reply 28 of 78
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Amazing, you can make 8.8 billion dollars profit...and still lose $28/5% of your stock value after hours. 

EDIT: CNBC - Apple Delivers a Big Earnings Miss; Outlook Disappoints ....CLOWNS.

to those who mocked Microsoft for missing the revenue its stock only lost 1%..Aapl is tumbling..enjoy :) 

• Reply 29 of 78
    boltsfan17 wrote: »

It's a great quarter for Apple. Just not for the stock.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

(yes, I know it is coming)

Of course you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

to those who mocked Microsoft for missing the revenue its stock only lost 1%..Aapl is tumbling..enjoy :) 

I'm sorry, so we're expected to feel bad about mocking something that has never happened before because something that happens EVERY SINGLE TIME has happened again?

I don't think so.

• Reply 31 of 78
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

And iPhone sales are actually UP year over year. The panic is ridiculous. Apple is doing just fine.

Lots of vacant bridges at the moment: Trolls indeed.

"Apple sold 26.0 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 28 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter, in addition to 17.0 million iPads -- an 84 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter."

28% iPhone sales growth is in no way a fail. Especially given the headwinds of the current economic challenges.

• Reply 32 of 78
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    How much cash is Apple sitting on now, $116 Billion?
  • Reply 33 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Do people expect iPhone sales to break records *every* quarter?  I mean, I'm impressed Apple was able to manage as many as they did. Apple's "bad' quarter is everyone else's golden moment!

Aside from iPhone sales (iPhone 5 = more record-breaking numbers) Mac sales were very good. BUT the big news:

17 Million iPads. 

Soon enough, iPad sales numbers will be approaching iPhone sales numbers. 

THAT is significant. Like thermonuclear weapon significant, translated into consumer tech. It sends a clear message to the industry, and about the future of computing. 

• Reply 34 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

This is a bad miss

Apple needs to move faster on multiple fronts. It is ridiculous they have five stores in China still - after talking ad naseum quarter after quarter about how it is a priority. They have allowed a 7 inch market to develop under their noses (yes, I know it is coming). They seem literally incapable of increasing PC share materially. They have no clear prepaid phone strategy. And it took them 4 months to get the iPad into China

I don't want to see Apple be reactionary. But I as an investor and heavy user want to see it move faster

The time is now Tim

Calm down, Mr. Oak. No one is making money on the 7-inch, afaik. (Google just barely introduced it.) If Apple produced and sold it at Amazon's margins, its shares would get killed.

Re. PC share, I guess you haven't been reading newspapers lately. Overall PC sales are down, but the Mac up significantly.

Prepaid phones are for those who have no/low credit. In any event, it's not for Apple to decide, but the carriers.

It took them four months to get to China because they had to overcome a naming lawsuit from a shady company called ProView.

If you're so p-oe'd, put your money where your mouth is and sell. I have a limit order for $555 (I don't want to up it), and the darn thing is nowhere near getting there. I am bummed. Please help by adding some selling pressure...

• Reply 35 of 78
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How much cash is Apple sitting on now, $116 Billion?

$117.2B.

• Reply 36 of 78
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Why even bother mentioning MS, when in today's market they're in everyone's rear-view?

MS no longer matters. They're of no account. Consumer response to their half-hearted mobile platform tells the sad tale. 

This isn't just evident in their fails in mobile. It's virtually everywhere at MS. With Metro, or example, and this whole jumbled, confused and misguided Windows 8 paradigm, MS has shown very clearly and beyond any doubt, that the future of personal computing belongs to their leaner, meaner, and definitely faster competitors, like Apple. MS has handed it to them on a silver platter. 

It's not because they don't have any talent. It isn't because they don't have resources. It isn't because they don't have any contact with the outside world. 

It's because a CLOWN has been running the circus there for over 10 years.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Two things:

1) Stock performance is not directly correlated with the company's health. Apple sold a ton of iOS devices, and beat its own estimates while rising YoY. Despite claims otherwise, Apple was even in line with the average estimates.

2) People don't understand how stock price works. The price is based on all available information, which includes very-bullish analyst estimates. When the actual earnings come in, this new information causes an adjustment in the stock price. People saying its only dropping because stupid analysts made insane predictions, they forget a key point: without those insane predictions, the stock price would have been lower anyway. If, say, analysts strictly followed Apple's guidance, the stock likely would have rose today, but it would end in the same spot. So if you want to blame the analysts, blame them for overvaluing the stock, not for somehow reducing its value.

By way of comparison, consider fantasy football. A star running back is ranked in the preseason as being a Top 5 pick. As the season draws closer, analysts go crazy with the hype machine, and suddenly he is the unquestioned #1 pick. At the end of the season, the running back performed admirably and was Top 5... But not #1. If you drafted him, you overpaid. But he was still incredibly productive. The analysts merely overvalued him, they didn't cause him to drop in value.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    $117.2B.

Analyst may not like it but Apple has to be proud... It's just phenomenal what they have been able to do.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    normangnormang Posts: 118member

Always love the glass is half empty people, what an empty life...

• Reply 40 of 78
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

5-year numbers (you know, for people who are actually investors):

MSFT: -6.45%

AAPLE: +336.30

And yes, I have been enjoying it.  Bought most of my AAPL shares when it was at ~$13, and that was before they split.