Apple's profits rise 20% on sales of 26M iPhones, 17M iPads, and 4M Macs

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I think at the open of the market tomorrow, AAPL will rocket back from the ridiculous after hours numbers. I'd like to know who's leading the short action on AAPL.

• Reply 62 of 78
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think at the open of the market tomorrow, AAPL will rocket back from the ridiculous after hours numbers. I'd like to know who's leading the short action on AAPL.

Samsung and Google?

• Reply 63 of 78
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Samsung and Google?

• Reply 64 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually I take that back. Google and Samsung make money off Apple. So I would say Moto and HTC.

• Reply 65 of 78
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member

LOL @ the idiot who said it'll drop "$200".

This is the problem with Wall Street. Amateurs in action, not understanding what "fundamentals" even mean, cash on hand, P/E ratio, etc.

Investors, stay along for the ride, buy tactfully, and Apple will continue to make you money in the more calm way possible: Going LONG. Apple is making plenty of money, the stock is undervalued, which means that investors will also make plenty of money.

• Reply 66 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

LOL @ the idiot who said it'll drop "$200".

This is the problem with Wall Street. Amateurs in action, not understanding what "fundamentals" even mean, cash on hand, P/E ratio, etc.

Investors, stay along for the ride, buy tactfully, and Apple will continue to make you money in the more calm way possible: Going LONG. Apple is making plenty of money, the stock is undervalued, which means that investors will also make plenty of money.

LOL thats not Wall Street. You think a single or handful of guys can affect a 1/2 Trillion company.  

• Reply 67 of 78
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    aaronj wrote: »
    5-year numbers (you know, for people who are actually investors):

MSFT: -6.45%

AAPLE: +336.30

And yes, I have been enjoying it.  Bought most of my AAPL shares when it was at ~$13, and that was before they split.

To be fair, MSFT is +6% when you add the dividends paid over that stretch. More if reinvested.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    I think the time has come for The Global Moderator to be replaced

Let's have more than 10 word sound bites and mocking of any non-conforming opionions. Let's have a better and deeper discussion of the news, challenges and opportunities facing this company

I am getting tired of what AI.com is becomming

I am long AAPL. I am trying to figure out the best path forward for this company
  • Reply 69 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    The thing that
    really pisses me off though is Huberty was the closest estimate...

You know, the broken clock thing.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    You guys are funny. How many CEOs would sacrifice their offspring to have numbers like that in a year let alone one quarter?
  • Reply 71 of 78
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You guys are funny. How many CEOs would sacrifice their offspring to have numbers like that in a year let alone one quarter?

That depends on whether they took over the company when it was doing even better than that.

• Reply 72 of 78
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Taking all into perspective, especially the global recession we're in and the customer waiting for new models etc .....................the earnings were respectable. These Anal=ists  like Munster & White are just talking out of their hats in their projections.  Lets remember how these anal sits calls were when they start tooting their horn again.

• Reply 73 of 78
    harbingerharbinger Posts: 570member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I think the time has come for The Global Moderator to be replaced

Let's have more than 10 word sound bites and mocking of any non-conforming opionions. Let's have a better and deeper discussion of the news, challenges and opportunities facing this company

I am getting tired of what AI.com is becomming

I am long AAPL. I am trying to figure out the best path forward for this company

Mostly good points. Two points of dissension: I don't care for replacing the GM, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Mine is that the forum is what it is, because that's how we behave. We, not the GM, are responsible.

I also don't get the part about figuring out the best path forward for Apple or any company you have shares in. Shareholders have zero say and limited knowledge of the best path forward.  So what's the point of "trying to figure it out"? I mean this as condescension but rather out of genuine curiosity.

• Reply 74 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Horrible quarter based on what? Inflated predictions from wall street analysts? Apple was pretty much on target with their revenue estimates but yet whenever they provide guidance everyone says they're low balling it just so they can blow out the numbers.

Its a horrible quarter based on apple own guidance. Apple has been beating it by a range of 28 to 60% for the last 5 years. They broke that pattern today since they pretty much came right on with guidance. That will change how the street view the next quarter guidance, which is very low.

Of course Apple is doing very well in terms of profitability, but growth is decelerating and it will affect the stock prices in the next few months. Expect heavy PE compression until Apple comes back track. Its a good thing Apple valuation was already so good, it will keep it from going down too much. There will be good opportunity to buy the stock in the next few weeks.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I stand corrected with the "euphoria". It is actually more of a "memorabilia chasing" syndrome due to SJ's passing. Basically, people bought Apple's devices because SJ has just passed away. Iphone 4S is a stale product, and its sales number is so high up there only because SJ timed his death quite well. It's sickening what this society has come into, but there it was another example of that appalling behavior of the American society in general.  If you remember Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, John Lennon and Elvis, SJ was such a celebrity. The only thing's that different about SJ, he didn't leave music, costumes or videos like those other celebrities mentioned, but he did leave certain legacy, and its embodiment is I-devices, especially ones being released just around his death. So, there was a blow out numbers of I devices sold in late Q4 2011 and early 2012, but then, like other celebrities, the added excitement of buying SJ's  "memorabilias" subsided, poof....gone. 

Apple market share will erode again in Q4 2012. It will be a saturated quarter filled with new gadgets from everybody under the sun.There will be cheapy and expensive Android's phones and tablets, but wait there will also be cheapy and expensive Windows 8/WP8 phones and devices too.The latter will be even more destructive to Apple's growth curve because corporate people will embrace W8/WP8  as if they are their long lost brothers. Corporate people care less about the so-called ecosystem which sells 200,000 simpleton's software plus music and e-books. All they want is their trillion dollars software investments in the past, be that from Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, CA or others can still be utilized as usual even after acquiring new hardware devices. Corporate people are creatures of habit, they love status quo. And they are already programmed into Windows everywhere for years. That will not change unfortunately. 

So, Apple will be squeezed in the middle between Android and Windows, and it will not be a pretty picture in the next couple of years. Don't start looking for China as the savior because everybody else is also flooding China with their gadgets as well. If you are an Apple long, we are at around the peak of AAPL years, and if you are looking for growth, you better start looking elsewhere. 

• Reply 76 of 78
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

We?ve also just updated the entire MacBook line...

Yeah... The logistics genius showed clearly in June Apple's breakthrough in mobility was over. We'll see how this road map will pay.  

• Reply 77 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That depends on whether they took over the company when it was doing even better than that.

In which Apple wasn't, so CEO "pat on the back" is in store? ;)

Anyway, Cook has been running the company for practically years now. Not to discount Jobs' presence of course, but he hadn't been hands on in Apple's day to day for some time.

• Reply 78 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Its a horrible quarter based on apple own guidance. Apple has been beating it by a range of 28 to 60% for the last 5 years. They broke that pattern today since they pretty much came right on with guidance. That will change how the street view the next quarter guidance, which is very low.

Of course Apple is doing very well in terms of profitability, but growth is decelerating and it will affect the stock prices in the next few months. Expect heavy PE compression until Apple comes back track. Its a good thing Apple valuation was already so good, it will keep it from going down too much. There will be good opportunity to buy the stock in the next few weeks.

It will help in the upcoming quarters. AAPL's gross undervaluation proves that the "halo" effect in which they slaughter these fabricated numbers haven't helped them at all, in fact it hurts them as people expect too much (hence this quarter was technically great, yet the stock gets hammered because emotions weren't fulfilled).

Let the analysts get more cautious, let people take AAPL's guidance more seriously, let AAPL not post such staggering blowout numbers. This isn't an entertainment show, or a popularity contest. Boring companies have boring conference calls all the time and trade at higher valuations than Apple. Let AAPL stock get more boring, let the press stop reporting about its every movement, let the company just do its thing.

The BEST thing that can happen to AAPL stock is for it to be treated as "just another stock". This quarter will be a good training session toward that necessary transition into the future. 2 examples are NKE stock, reported a dismal quarter, I'm talking a TECHNICALLY BAD QUARTER, of which Apple DIDN'T have (they had a technically great quarter) got hammered, but started bouncing back already. Also, MSFT, a P/E similar to AAPL's forward P/E, and a terrible quarter, and they actually went up.

Let the "Apple show" come to a close, let the stock mature, let expectations get boring. It'll be better for all of us who aren't longing for a Wall Street version of "The Kardashians". Now we have a nice Dividend to grab. I'm adding shares not only for the uptick to come, but to add to the quarterly payout!