Apple apparently kills Windows PC support in Safari 6.0

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Great! More resources for Logic Pro X and iWork '13....

I'm afraid when they get around to killing Logic, it'll happen the same way...

• Reply 22 of 84
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Me too. I don't know of many Mac users that don't use Safari as their primary browser. In fact, the only one I can think of that won't use it would prboably use Terminal and a text-baed browser with ASCII images if that were an option. ????

Lynx FTW!  Great browser.

Those were the days, cruising the web in amber text on a tiny curved black screen.  

• Reply 23 of 84
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member

Bigger news is that if Safari on Windows is dead, does that mean iCloud bookmark sync is dead?

• Reply 24 of 84

If Apple kill Safari for Windows then they are idiots.

• Reply 25 of 84
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member

I use Safari for Windows XP at work (yup...still on XP.  That's the way education is going right now with budget cuts).  The memory leaks are HORRENDOUS.  There is one task that takes up an obscene amount of memory when Safari runs--webkit2webprocess.exe.  Nothing works in terms of rectifying the problem.  

• Reply 26 of 84
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Great! More resources for Logic Pro X and iWork '13....

If only that were so. I get the impression they are laying the groundwork for a change of emphasis. Safari, iWork and iLife would become freebie apps as part of the operating system like Mail and Calender.

Not sure about the Pro app's. Can't remember the last time Logic and Aperture had major new versions and we all know what happened with FCP. If it was up to me I would spin them off into their Filemaker subsidiary so they at least get some attention.

• Reply 27 of 84

Meh, so Apple won't be writing a browser for Windows, and Microsoft won't be writing Office for iOS... it's pretty much a wash.

I'm telling you that THIS is what will get get Ballmer's Schwety Balls busy putting out Office for iOS... just you watch!

• Reply 28 of 84
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Let's not jump to conclusions.

They've nothing to do with one another.

If i'm not mistaken, iTunes has webkit baked into it for the music and app stores

• Reply 29 of 84
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Me too. I don't know of many Mac users that don't use Safari as their primary browser. In fact, the only one I can think of that won't use it would prboably use Terminal and a text-baed browser with ASCII images if that were an option. ????

Safari too. I am not letting google anywhere near my cookies, bookmarks, or account passwords. And Firefox? BLEECH.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

How long will it take Apple to update this?

http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html

"iCloud Bookmarks

With iCloud, you can add a new bookmark on one device and have it automatically update across all your devices — iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, and PC."

• Reply 31 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    enjourni wrote: »
    Bigger news is that if Safari on Windows is dead, does that mean iCloud bookmark sync is dead?

I'm under the impression that all takes place from a separate app that can pull from at least IE so I think that's safe.

dmarcoot wrote: »
    If i'm not mistaken, iTunes has webkit baked into it for the music and app stores

You are not mistaken.

Safari too. I am not letting google anywhere near my cookies, bookmarks, or account passwords. And Firefox? BLEECH.

I just thought of something. If Google was fine with recording WiFi accounts, data and passwords when doing Street View drive-bys I wonder if they use Gmail accounts to take your username and password and use it with against other accounts that show up as new emails when you sign up. Unfortunately, most people use the same password for everything. I suggest 1Password for everyone using the internet for anything they want to keep secure. Make those passwords complex and unique.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Makes total sense.  Safari is best used on an Apple OS Platform.  Screw windows.  Safari is ahead of its time any way.  All those servers still running Java and Flash are behind the times and it's obvious that Microsoft still wants to hang on to the legacy internet multimedia software.

• Reply 33 of 84
    senjazsenjaz Posts: 26member

A shame. While the Apple's insistence on making Safari on Windows look like a mac application made it feel clunky and stand out like a sore thumb the developer tool set on it is by far the best of any browser.

• Reply 34 of 84
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

i'm a mac user (mac pro and three minis) and i use firefox as my primary browser (i use the bejesus out of it, actually.)  in large part for the more granular cookie control and noscript.  but every once in a while something isn't quite as expected and i'll use safari.  (and no, i wouldn't use terminal and a text-baed browser with ascii images if that were an option!)  i also use firefox on the several virtual machines i use fairly regularly (os x and windows).

• Reply 35 of 84
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    shaun, uk wrote: »
    If it was up to me I would spin them off into their Filemaker subsidiary so they at least get some attention.

FileMaker 12 is absolutely fantastic on a Mac- way better than 11- faster, and the slight change to icons are refreshing.

It's amazing how much better FileMaker runs on my iMac (only Mac in office) compared to all my windows coworkers.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member

Safari was released onto Windows because iOS (then iPhone OS) was only going to have mobile apps in the form of Web Apps.  What better Windows-based SDK than the browser itself?  Then Apple allowed people to create real apps and the Safari for Windows lost a good reason to exist.

• Reply 37 of 84

Why would any Windows user bother to install Safari?  Is there anything unique about it?

Is it even the most popular of the OSX browsers out there?

• Reply 38 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Windows as a consumer OS is definitely failing.  Even people who like Windows and have no problem with it would probably seriously consider switching to OS X if the desktop OS doesn't integrate with their iOS devices now.  

Are there any stats to back that up?  Last I knew, Windows was around 90% market penetration.  How do you square that with Windows "failiing"?

• Reply 39 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Lynx FTW!  Great browser.

Those were the days, cruising the web in amber text on a tiny curved black screen.  

And getting lost in Gopher Space.  Yep - those were the days.  It was Magic back then.

• Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I happen to love Safari on my Windows machines. 

This is bad news for me. 

I'm dread to weigh the alternatives. I guess I'll use v5 until it breaks.

/sigh