Steve Jobs joins George Washington, others in TIME's most influential Americans list

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

NO. We are not having the "What is America" argument again.

This is America (demonym).

These are the Americas.

This is North America.

This is South America.

• Reply 22 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by matty2431 View Post

Einstein wasn't american.  In fact, he was bribed (if you can call it a bribe when a gun is to your head) to come to the US from germany.  Typical american media rewriting history.

It is one of the defining characteristics of the United States that we welcome foreign born people, not only legally but also personally, to be Americans.

• Reply 23 of 44
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

You are seriously kidding right?! Tesla was Yugoslav, 

Seriously no!

Tesla was actually a Serb, born in Croatia (both of which later became Yugoslavia) and became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35.

He is considered a national hero

Mostly for all the work he did while in the U.S.

• Reply 24 of 44

When I was a teen my family temporarily moved to Canada, and I went to Canadian high school. In Canadian History class in HS they taught us that Alexander Graham Bell was a famous Canadian inventor and that the telephone was a Canadian invention that happened to be ironed out in the USA, along with many other of Bell's inventions including various experiments with manned flight, etc. The Canadians were quite emphatic about it and told me he lived, died, and was buried in Nova Scotia, Canada (although he spent winters in New England or some such), which made him firmly a Canadian. although he was born in a different part of the British Commonwealth, in Scotland.

• Reply 25 of 44
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Why would you exclude James Watson?

He's was born in Chicago.  Perhaps you were thinking of Francis Crick who is british.

Born in Chicago but has lived in the UK for the past 60 years.

• Reply 26 of 44
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Seriously no!

Tesla was actually a Serb, born in Croatia (both of which later became Yugoslavia) and became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35.

Mostly for all the work he did while in the U.S.

I figured it was easier to say he was Yugoslav then explaining it on here, then i get someone telling me about the country my whole family is from.

*Sigh*  Anyways, that has got to be up there with one of the stupidest things i have read on here, "became a naturalized, U.S. citizen at 35" well i guess he's from America then.... I shouldn't have to say it, i have the feeling i need to tho. When someone is 35 they are a fully grown adult & from that era people became adults much earlier then they do now, he lived in the country he was born in until he was a grown man, not 5 or 10 years old, he's not from America, he lived there for the rest of his life but that is not where he is from.

Since you are reading your information from wikipedia I'm wondering what it says next to Nationality?.

In Australia its very common to claim people as Aussies that aren't from here, doesn't make it so, Russel Crowe, From New Zealand lives in Sydney, Sam Neil, same thing, when Tom Cruise was married to Nicole Kidman he was an Aussie too :p Same thing with Einstein being on that list & a few others

• Reply 27 of 44
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

So many that did positive things for society but leave it to Time to put someone in there who brought a dark cloud over us.....

And what did Muhammad Ali do besides being a great entertainer in the ring??

• Reply 28 of 44
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    When I was a teen my family temporarily moved to Canada, and I went to Canadian high school. In Canadian History class in HS they taught us that Alexander Graham Bell was a famous Canadian inventor and that the telephone was a Canadian invention that happened to be ironed out in the USA, along with many other of Bell's inventions including various experiments with manned flight, etc. The Canadians were quite emphatic about it and told me he lived, died, and was buried in Nova Scotia, Canada (although he spent winters in New England or some such), which made him firmly a Canadian. although he was born in a different part of the British Commonwealth, in Scotland.
    and from the wiki on " bell canada corporation" bell licensed the patent from Alexander Graham Bell the rest is history...
  • Reply 29 of 44
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    So many that did positive things for society but leave it to Time to put someone in there who brought a dark cloud over us.....

And what did Muhammad Ali do besides being a great entertainer in the ring??

does one emulate a hero such as "Muhammad Ali" to become what they are now, or what they were?.

because i would prefer to be the late Steve Jobs in his last year, than be Muhammad Ali in his last year (or as he is now)...
    thus, what really is the criteria for the times' list?...
  • Reply 30 of 44
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Wasn't Time that said Hitler was man of the year as well?  What makes Time such a set in stone list maker on such things.

And if you want to get technical we would say "American" is the whole american continent, US and Canada as well as Mexico.  So I would think Most influential US citizens.

I think Time's Person of the Year isn't necessarily meant to recognize greatness as much as it is to pinpoint someone who had a major influence on the world - for good or evil.

You're right, though - Hitler was the TPY in 1938.  Other notable entries on that list include Josef Stalin (2x), Nikita Khrushchev, Richard Nixon (2x, in a row no less...), Ayatollah Khomeini, etc., etc. ... and of course, the root of ALL evil, Mark Zuckerberg in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

As far as THIS article goes, I think Jobs deserves to be on the list for his business acumen.  Not quite sure I'd put Louis Armstrong or Muhammed Ali on that list instead of people like Lindbergh, Earhart, Alan Shepard, John Kennedy, Enrico Fermi, Oppenheimer, Jonas Salk, George Marshall, Eisenhower, Jackie Robinson or others.  Ali is an especially curious choice over Robinson if they were looking to include a sports figure.

• Reply 31 of 44
    vgermaxvgermax Posts: 9member

North America seems to be loosely defined. Even on the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, there are a few definitions provided stemming from common usage. The most inclusive definition seems to be the entire landmass north of the Panama-Columbia border, which includes the Caribbean islands and Greenland (?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries

• Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgermax View Post

North America seems to be loosely defined. Even on the source of all knowledge, Wikipedia, there are a few definitions provided stemming from common usage. The most inclusive definition seems to be the entire landmass north of the Panama-Columbia border, which includes the Caribbean islands and Greenland (?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_countries

Oh for the love of GOD! Not this AMERICA, NORTH AMERICA CRAP AGAIN?!?!!?!?!?

Please take your pointless post and argument to this dead horse of a thread please:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151145/rumor-7-inch-ipad-to-be-produced-in-brazil-for-fall-launch

• Reply 33 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

This will get the haters going.   In fact someone posted on MR that if Steve Jobs made this list they should've included Ron Popeil too because he at least invented things. :lol:

• Reply 34 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

How can they put Roosevelt on the list but not Ronald Reagan?  Because one was a liberal (good) and the other conservative (evil)?

• Reply 35 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can they put Roosevelt on the list but not Ronald Reagan?  Because one was a liberal (good) and the other conservative (evil)?

I don't think it has to do with politics. I don't have any specific reason for thinking that; I just don't want the thread to devolve into politics. image

• Reply 36 of 44
    bryandbryand Posts: 78member

Lois Armstrong and Muhammad Ali? This list is a joke. How about Ronald Reagan who transformed America's economy and helped fix the mess started by Roosevelt? Steve Jobs possibly belongs on the list, but everything else after the Wright Brothers is pretty dubious.

• Reply 37 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryand View Post

...How about Ronald Reagan who transformed America's economy...

Sure, I'll bite:

• Reply 38 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

Sure, I'll bite:

I'm just telling you. It is all fun and games till somebody loses an eye over this.

This thread will end in tears, 7 pages and 187 posts later.

• Reply 39 of 44

Hey, again, leave politics out of this, please.

• Reply 40 of 44
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Sitting Bull???

...well, half right...