Apple wants to create iPhone-based automated homes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new, extensive patent application details how a new iPhone model with a near-field communications chip could serve as the connected centerpiece of an automated digitally connected home.

Apple's interest in NFC chips doesn't end with the iPhone in a new patent application discovered by AppleInsider this week. The filing, entitled "System and Method for Simplified Control of Electronic Devices," also shows an Apple TV, iMac, various iPods, and even third-party devices like a cable box, PlayStation controller, or even a home sprinkler system equipped with NFC.

Illustrations accompanying the filing show a new radio frequency identification, or RFID, application available on the iPhone. Selecting that application allows the device to begin searching for nearby RFID-enabled devices.

Electronics can also be paired by using a scanning a barcode using the camera on the iPhone. In this way a user could securely take control of their own devices easily and quickly.

When a device is discovered, the iPhone could automatically install the appropriate plug-in to act as a controller. This method would allow the iPhone to gain compatibility with third-party devices that may have complex or unique control schemes.

Patent 1

The system is shown giving users the ability to select and control a number of devices, including multiple Apple TVs in the same house, an iMac, a home theater receiver, or a television set. To assist in the control of a plethora of devices, Apple's NFC application would allow users to sort their list of devices by categories, such as "Entertainment," "Home," and "Office." Compatible devices could also be listed by proximity to the iPhone.

When connected to a cable box and acting as a universal remote, the iPhone would offer typical control options like changing the channel and adjusting the volume, but it is also shown with programming information such as displaying the current channel number, what show is on the air, and a description of the program.

Patent 2

In yet another example included in the filing, the iPhone uses an RFID chip to wirelessly control a home thermostat. The proposed system would allow users to adjust the temperature in their home based on data obtained by the iPhone.

For example, a weather-based thermostat setting could allow users to adjust the temperature based on whether it is raining or sunny outside.

The system is also shown controlling the lights in a person's home, a security system, the garage door opener, and a sprinkler system for a truly connected home.

With an NFC chip, the iPhone could even act as a remote control to a camera. A compatible digital camera could wirelessly transmit its current picture, and the iPhone could be used to zoom in, zoom out, enable or disable the flash, and take a picture.

Patent 3

The details come from a massive 114-page filing first submitted to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in March of this year and made public this week. The proposed invention is credited to Michael Rosenblatt, Gloria Linn, Sean Mayo, and Taido Lantz Nakajima.

There have been rumors for years that Apple plans to include an NFC chip in an upcoming version of the iPhone. Expectations for RFID capabilities in the 2012 iPhone picked up steam after Apple announced Passbook for iOS 6, a new application that will organize tickets, store membership cards and airplane boarding passes.

Industry watchers have speculated that Passbook could become even more full-featured with a new NFC-equipped iPhone that could act as a digital e-wallet, allowing wireless authorization of transactions as well as secure e-ticketing. Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was asked about the future of Passbook this week, but only went as far as to say that the new iOS 6 application will be a "key" feature of Apple's next-generation mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Nice.  You know how some of the new cars use a keyless entry?  I want that for my home, and for everything I use (where applicable).  Just obvious things, like turning lights on when I enter a room, dimming them at certain times, unlocking my front door as I approach and locking it when I leave, turning the AC on and off from a control panel on my phone, and, yes, remote toilet flushing.

• Reply 2 of 58
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Nice.  You know how some of the new cars use a keyless entry?  I want that for my home, and for everything I use (where applicable).  Just obvious things, like turning lights on when I enter a room, dimming them at certain times, unlocking my front door as I approach and locking it when I leave, turning the AC on and off from a control panel on my phone, and, yes, remote toilet flushing.

In some cases it is certainly favorable to have a 10 - 20 foot savety distance before flushing the toilet. Here comes the remote flusher very handy on my iPhone

• Reply 3 of 58
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

...and, yes, remote toilet flushing.

Yeah, flush it when someone ELSE is sitting on it.....

• Reply 4 of 58
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Let's see how long it takes people to whine about Apple blocking innovation as they do every time Apple is granted another patent. :lol:
  • Reply 5 of 58

PLEASE !!!

This is about Apple protecting HOW they connect 3-Party (Hello? Non-Apple) devices like the Bluetooth PS3 controller I ALREADY HAVE to a iPhone, iPad or Apple TV.

OMG Yes Please and its years overdue but understand it is 3-Party and yes we are talking about Apple...

IOS has needed a Bluetooth gaming controller since it's start.

• Reply 6 of 58
    lilroot9lilroot9 Posts: 17member

So what this article is telling me is that the iPhone 5 will have a NFC chip in it.

• Reply 7 of 58

From that leaked picture of the new ipod touch, that has a "dimple" in the back side, should be for a connected controller (but will be bluetooth? the dimple is to just hold the ipod touch in your controller, not to allow it to controll the device, without bluetooth, I would guess).  But a bluetooth controller support is needed for the ipad for sure.

• Reply 8 of 58

Folks,

The way I see it as a engineer is that the real issue is it limited to NFC; or can as suggested could a current BT (PS3?) controller connect?

Even with a added NFC ID requirement the patient is so Apple and understandable.If apple had a controller I would buy it but better is let me use what I already have that COULD work.

Pat

• Reply 9 of 58

The issue with just straight bluetooth is that the apps need to support "everything" otherwise people will be mad, that's why Apple just creates a controller and give the code out.  That way it sells tons.  That's their game plan for sure, make more Billions.

• Reply 10 of 58
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilroot9 View Post

So what this article is telling me is that the iPhone 5 will have a NFC chip in it.

Nope, as NFC has nothing to do with making this a reality right now.

Also, the iPhone 4S doesn't have NFC.

• Reply 11 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, as NFC has nothing to do with making this a reality right now.

Also, the iPhone 4S doesn't have NFC.

Yes, you are correct, but if you will be able to "control" everything with your iPhone, they need to put it into either this or the next. With passbook as their headline for this new phone, they will need NFC to help sell this new phone (give passbook unseen features?).  They can't let android get to far ahead in this catagory.

• Reply 12 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilroot9 View Post

Yes, you are correct, but if you will be able to "control" everything with your iPhone, they need to put it into either this or the next.

No… Wi-Fi and even Bluetooth can handle doing that perfectly fine. Better, probably, and the infrastructure is already everywhere.

• Reply 13 of 58
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

So in order for someone to use this proposed feature every single device in their home would need to be replaced with one that is compatible.

• Reply 14 of 58
    sleepy3sleepy3 Posts: 244member

Hmmm, Thank God for Android manufacturers showing that NFC matters. 

Wasn't long ago that people were saying NFC is stupid and they are glad the iphone doesn't have it. My my, how times have changed image

• Reply 15 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The lack of any television like icon is interesting. Or are Apple using an Apple Tv to play that role to maintain secrecy? Or is the whole Apple Television the biggest red herring in techno history! So many question .... /smile
  • Reply 16 of 58
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

People sometimes think that automation will make their life easier when in fact the opposite is often true. When you walk into a room, the light switch is conveniently right by the door. You, on the other hand, want to get your iPhone out of your pocket launch an app or hold the iPhone up to the switch and let the NFC switch the light. In either case it just adds complexity.

What Apple has done in this patent makes a little more sense in that it controls devices that also have menus and settings

• Reply 17 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Or is the whole Apple Television the biggest red herring in techno history!

While the TV rumors have been around longer, I think the iPhone nano is still the biggest red herring right now.

TV and iPad mini are very close to catching up, though.

• Reply 18 of 58
    pjohntpjohnt Posts: 31member

Based on the diagram, I guess we know why they moved the headphone jack to the bottom on the next iPhone.

• Reply 19 of 58
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    While the TV rumors have been around longer, I think the iPhone nano is still the biggest red herring right now.

TV and iPad mini are very close to catching up, though.

True. Having said that a Dick Tracyesque iPhone Nano on your wrist design by Apple might be a massive success!
  • Reply 20 of 58

Interesting... I do all this right now with bonjour/wifi and a Insteon controller (with it's own WiFi and powerline controllers) which is managed by Indigo on my mini via USB...      

NFC makes for a good 'motion control' sensor (not just 'a warm thing is in the room', but 'TheOther just entered the room, with his iPad... oops, now he's leaving, and Mrs TheOther isn't here... guess I'll turn off the light in 30 seconds'), if the range is at 'meters.'   But at 'bump to activate' that means it's  not hands free.

For most people... home automation should be 'hands free'  and/or automated, and the device is only for overrides ("Open the Pod bay doors, HAL").   

What Apple is doing is putting the 'app' at the center of all automation... and the iPad/Pod/Phone as the interface to the app.   Effectively, they want every man/woman/child to have in iDevice for everything from school, to school lunch, from reading books to buying books, for ordering lunch and paying for lunch, for work, and for working out.