Samsung's tablets returned after buyers realized they weren't iPads

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Yup, because either:

- Sales commission, bonus or service contract is worth more to the store and employee

- Seniors and "moms" are the most gullible targets in an electronics store.

I can't tell you how often sales people try to sell me something I don't want. When I go into these stores, I already know exactly what I want and ignore the sales people.

But mobile phones are a confusing mess. I went into the Samsung store and couldn't tell one model from another. At least with Apple, if you want an "iPhone" you get an "iPhone", or iPad when you ask for an iPad. They only make one model per year. Like cars, it's much easier to see the difference between various models if the branding only deals with a model year. But like cars, you can't sell someone a Honda Civic when they want a Lexus CT and go "oh they're the same, they're both hybrids"

why would the commission be any less?

Although apple only release iPhone at a time, they do have more than one model available to suit different budgets. They a adopt a model that says if you have a lower budget you can purchase older techonolgy, other firms will sell you new designs but with cheaper, lower spec'd components for a lower price.

I'd imagine that apple only do this with their phones and ipads because it reduces their overheads, less tooling costs and lower R&D. Their other products mirror the rest of the industry. MBP- you want more ram, a bigger screen, fine, just pay a bit more.

In short, the lack of choice is not to help mitigate confusion, it is to maximise profits. 

• Reply 122 of 131
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

In short, the lack of choice is not to help mitigate confusion, it is to maximise profits. 

Or it could do both.

• Reply 123 of 131
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Or it could do both.

if it were both then why would it not apply across the whole range of products. I doubt that apple honestly believe that phone owners are too dumb to appreciate that a higher spec'd phone costs more.

Unfortunately too many people want to ascribe somekind of revolutionary genius where ever they see a difference. If the rumours are true and apple release differing screen sizes in the iPhone, someone will hail a new dawn where apple had succeeded in enlightening owners who now understand that you get what you pay for.

in reality apple convincing people to buy "out dated" models is true genius and very good business sense.  

• Reply 124 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I don't know what I'm more tired of reading about... this lawsuit or Chick-fil-a.

Chick-fil-a is awesome!  Love their food, and I am glad I can support them by buying their food.

• Reply 125 of 131
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't get how that helps Samsung's case, though.

I would agree it surely doesn't...

• Reply 126 of 131
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Sales people are told to push whatever corporate tells them to push.  You get yelled at for not selling and pushing them.  I got a free Handspring Visor in 2000 for pushing them and selling 5 over a Palm device.  Same happens with phones and tablets today I am sure.  Maybe if they sold 10, they got a free one, or a bonus for selling one, or the store got a kick back for selling one.  Who knows, that is just sales.

• Reply 127 of 131
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Try CNET... its a flamewar on just about every post.

Soon as google is busted for doing something wrong, the anti-apple iSheep talk comes out. 

Yeah, I left Cnet a long time ago. Engadget just left my RSS feed as well.

• Reply 128 of 131
    timuscatimusca Posts: 123member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Chick-fil-a is awesome!  Love their food, and I am glad I can support them by buying their food.

I completely agree with you. I was just pointing out how sick I am of hearing about it, namely on Facebook.

• Reply 129 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

why would the commission be any less?

The carriers do this all of the time (in the US at least).  The difference in commission structure for certain handsets are included in the marketing budget that has been agreed upon.

• Reply 130 of 131

Next we'll hear that Toys'R'Us is reporting that people return their Etch-a-Sketch, thinking that it was an iPad.

• Reply 131 of 131

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I just saw an ad for the Nexus 7, it looked just like a mini iPad in the commercial. And for a split second I thought Apple had announced something that I had missed.

You must be joking, or are you suggesting that Google are copying a non-existing Apple product?