Apple Genius ads debut during Olympic opening ceremonies

Comments

• Reply 261 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

People who wait in long lines to buy a telephone are not normal.  They are a small portion of Apple customers, who are a small portion of cellphone buyers.  They are not regular people.  They are bizarre, and the ads point out that a certain company has bizarre customers.

All those Olympic athletes walking around with their iPhones? Not normal. Not regular people. I mean, who trains everyday obsessively to be the best in their sport to represent their country in competition on the world stage? What a bizarre bunch. They should aspire to be more like you. Without distinction. In other words, normal.

• Reply 262 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone 

I was reading the One on One training support page which states that the service is available only when you purchase a new Mac. The annual fee is $99. I wonder how long after you buy your Mac can you later upgrade to One on One or is it only at the exact time of purchase?

You have 14 days. It's in the terms and conditions.

Apple also offers a lot of free workshops. The One-to-One is just, well for one-on-one training. I assume most don't use the service or Apple is taking a hit on this because there is no way $99 for a year will cover more than a few hours per year or assistance.

edit: I see the One-to-One also gives users free migration from their old PC to their Mac (or old Mac to their new Mac). Wasn't this a free service before? I'm wondering if their Mac sales are high enough now they no longer have to offer that service and instead can sell that service and after that it's unlikely most won't schedule any other One-to-One services.

This "one-on-one" training is what we used to call a "checkout" when we had the computer stores.   It was included in the purchase price and accompanied every sale to a first-time user.  We touted this to the customers -- because we were the only stores to offer this service.  Every sales rep in the store conducted these sessions -- it was part of their job.  Often we wound have several people in a session -- family members other customers (with like levels of understanding).

Then, we had regularly scheduled "tips and techniques" follow-up sessions... for people who had used their system for a while and had problems or wanted to take the next step.  These were always group sessions and we usually asked the attendees to bring their computers".  These sessions were also free -- part of being a Computer Plus customer.  Again, very sales rep in the store conducted these sessions.  Our sales reps were not commissioned and we fostered and promoted the concept (to the reps and to the customers) that they were Computer Plus customers -- not Kathy's or Larry's customer.

Occasionally we had special training or presos/demos by experts -- Woz, Atkinson, MS Reps, etc.

We viewed all these sessions as after sale service and an opportunity to reaffirm the relationship with our customers... and all the goodness that comes from that.

I am reminded of the Computer Faire Bus trip.   Our main store was in Sunnyvale, and The Computer Faire was held in San Francisco about 60 miles away and a parking nightmare.  One year, we decided to hire some busses so our staff and customers could attend the Faire without all the hassle...

We may have charged the customers $10 to cover costs -- I don't recall.  Anyway, the busses were oversubscribed and we ended up getting a 3rd bus -- regular Transit busses.   So these busses pull into the parking lot and are loaded up with loud, laughing customers, staff and management...

Three things of note happened:

1) Steve Schwartz was totally disappointed in the Computer Faire -- in his words "a complete waste of time".  What Steve didn't realize was that the show was on 3 different floors -- he only visited the topmost "overflow" floor.

2) On the trip back, one of the busses stalled and had to pull of to the apron of the freeway...  The bus behind pulled over too, to see if he could help.  The busses starter wouldn't work... Happy campers from both busses descended and pushed the bus to get it started...

3) For years afterwards, when among fellow Faire goers -- customers would ask "were you on the bus?" or brag that they were literally "behind the success" of the Computer Plus bus trip to the Computer Faire.

I bet that some of those customers still recount the experience to their grandkids -- as I am recounting it to you.

• Reply 263 of 322
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I bet that some of those customers still recount the experience to their grandkids -- as I am recounting it to you.

"Back in my day we weren't spoiled by computers like you kids are today. The zero hadn't been invented yet so we had to program using only ones."

Does it go something like that? ????
  • Reply 264 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

No, the Samsung ads said that if you wait in line to buy a telephone with ketchup features - then you are a pathehtic asshole.

The ads are effective because they reinforce what people already think about AppleFans.  People who wait in long lines to buy a telephone are not normal.  They are a small portion of Apple customers, who are a small portion of cellphone buyers.  They are not regular people.  They are bizarre, and the ads point out that a certain company has bizarre customers.

I suspect that you've never waited in line to buy an iPhone... attend a movie, revue or concert, a sports event...

There are lines and there are lines... Some people stand in lines for the excitement, being first, instant gratification, the challenge... the camaraderie... the fun...  

...then there are  the British -- if the see a queue, they just get in line...

You must lead a very sorry dull life where you see everything from a negative viewpoint... and avoid exciting products and events... sad... really sad...

• Reply 265 of 322

Quote:

"Back in my day we weren't spoiled by computers like you kids are today. The zero hadn't been invented yet so we had to program using only ones."

Does it go something like that? ????

LOL

Nah!  We used aborigine number system:  few and many...  much more flexible than binary... the abacus is a bit complicated, though...

• Reply 266 of 322
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

~ Look at all these pathetic assholes! ~

I guess none of these people are normal.

...and the most pathetic of all, a rent-a-crowd, lining up for a $2 phone:-

• Reply 267 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the vision is to appeal to the non-elitist.

Apple user != BMW driver

In the past the ads had been mostly preaching to the choir. Perhaps Steve was a bit too sensitive about portraying Apple hardware as in a league of their own. The reality is that there are several worthy competitors so just showing a shiny thin laptop does not sufficiently differenciate them where service after the sale could be a potentially huge selling point to the average non-tech consumer. I believe their recent effort to expand the Genius bar along with these ads is evidence that they are emphasizing the quality of their support services not just the hardware.

+++ Best post on this thread!

• Reply 268 of 322
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

All Apple needed to do was show an athlete training for the Olympics using his/her iPhone, iPad and Mac together and beaming their performance up to a flat screen using their ATV- no dialogue needed. 

Apple aren't an Olympic sponsor so they can't.

• Reply 269 of 322
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

~ Look at all these pathetic assholes! ~

Bingo!

Love the Louvre!

I  wanted to counter  with images of Mardi Gras and The Hooker's ball... sigh!

• Reply 270 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Haha! That is an old photo. By now those people have graduated and many are likely being forced to use Windows in their corporate job.

I was not going to argue with my friend so once she express such a negative opinion of Mac users, I offered her my best second choices for a Windows notebook. There was no hatred in her remarks just fear of the unknown and avoidance of criticism from her peers.

And that's why Microsoft is frantically trying to win over consumers for Windows 8. Because the future belongs to IT, oops, I mean the consumerization of IT.

Like all myths, there is some truth to the "cult of Mac" myth, but in reality, there are only a small minority who are diehard true believers (the final 5% who stuck with Apple during Gil Amelio's rein of failure), and it was never a bad thing, since it gave Apple life support, and its new iCEO a chance turn things around. The rest of the myth is meme and occasional hyperbole.

• Reply 271 of 322

I suspect that what Apple is doing is promoting the Apple brand and the Apple "Genius" after sale support...  They never show or mention an Apple Store in these ads.  I think that is by design...

I think that Apple and some of the Big Box retailers are going to provide "store within a store" Apple stores.  Just imagine if you could go into a local BestBuy or Target and have an experience similar to the one provided by an Apple Store.

In this recent article it states that BB is experimenting with stores patterened after Apple Stores -- with Genius Bars and all (fugly Genius Bars):

Best Buy mimicking Apple stores in retail makeover

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/05/best_buy_mimicking_apple_stores_in_retail_makeover.html

Aside: BB's CEO is Mike Mikan -- George Mikan the famous Minneapolis Laker Basketball player had a son named Michael...

In the above article, it says that BB is experimentingg with opening smaller, more-specialized stores.  What if Tim Cook were to Make Mike Mikan an "offer he can't refuse.

• BB provides the facilities -- the physical plant

• Apple supplies the Staff and Inventory

• Apple brings the store traffic

• Apple brings the sales per square foot

• some mutually-beneficial joint arrangement is negotiated

Rather than closing existing stores and opening experimental new stores -- BestBuy could gain advantage by just repurposing and rearranging a portion of some existing stores with a proven formula.

Rather than have a few long and expensive new store openings, Apple could gain advantage by just providing staff, training, fixtures and inventory - at far lower costs and lead time.

As I wrote in an edit to an earlier post, * BB and Apple and/or Target and Apple could jointly roll out "Apple Stores within a store" numbering in the hundreds of stores in a very short period of time.  

* Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The potential of this, done right, is mind boggling...

Hey, it's time to bring the "Apple Store Experience" to the burbs!

I think Apple will tie it together in the final reel.

• Reply 272 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Palpatine addresses the public on Coruscant...

• Reply 273 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Palpatine addresses the public on Coruscant...

Gee when Lucy and I stood there -- the crowd was a lot smaller... musta' been Lucy...

• Reply 274 of 322
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I think that Apple and some of the Big Box retailers are going to provide "store within a store" Apple stores.  Just imagine if you could go into a local BestBuy or Target and have an experience similar to the one provided by an Apple Store.

Your imagination must be better than mine.

I can imagine them trying, but succeeding? Nope.
    hill60 wrote: »
    Apple aren't an Olympic sponsor so they can't.

Yes and no. They can not directly use the Olympics in their advertising. OTOH, they can use general athletes practicing for their sports as long as they don't mention the Olympics (they might not be able to use a specific Olympic athlete's name, either, but I'm not sure). Essentially, leave it up to the customer to think they're talking about the Olympics.
    All those Olympic athletes walking around with their iPhones? Not normal. Not regular people. I mean, who trains everyday obsessively to be the best in their sport to represent their country in competition on the world stage? What a bizarre bunch. They should aspire to be more like you. Without distinction. In other words, normal.

Exactly. Apple already has a reputation of being the brand for the elite members of society - no need to reinforce that. They're trying to make it clear that they're much more than that - and even 'normal' people would benefit from their products. A nice message, IMHO.
  • Reply 275 of 322
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

this angle makes me ask one question: If apples are so easy to use why do apple users need some hyperactive 19 year old with a bit of a dickweed complex to tell them how to print a photo card or make a Keynote side deck?

• Reply 276 of 322
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

In other words, corporate IT and their "nobody ever got fired buying Windows" philosophy.

I dont like that meme as it isnt true. Windows has a lot of advantages tfor large organizations that no one else, even Apple, can match: 

• Integration with platforms that allow for manageability of company computer system via tools such as AD and SCCM

• tight integration and support for on prem or cloud or even 3rd party hosted solutions for private business systems that all work together: Sharepoint, Exchange, and Lync servers combined with Office Pro Plus clients make a kick ass work flow. (and another thing, if M$ is so bad, then why have all the other email services and devices including iPhone, yahoo and gmail licensed their exchange mobile email protocol?)

• Hardware: like it or not, companys need some hardware lifespan info before making purchases. companys gernerally keep hardware three years, but that is changing because of the economic downturn, a lot of places are going to 5 year life spans and in some cases, just "use it till it cant be used any more" policies. Windows 7 and even Windows 8 will run on hardware from 2006 (any Vista PC assuming it gets upgraded to 2 gb ram can do 8 just time, and MS has done some pretty impressive Win 8 demos on even 512 MB ram)

thats the short list

IT people buy MS not because it is safe, not because we have some irrational hate of Apple, but because we look at all the options, read the white papers, get quotes, submit tons of RFPs and consider lots of what if possibilities before doing a project and MS just happen to build great tools for the sorts of things that we need to accomplish in our work. 

• Reply 277 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

this angle makes me ask one question: If apples are so easy to use why do apple users need some hyperactive 19 year old with a bit of a dickweed complex to tell them how to print a photo card or make a Keynote side deck?

These ads are targeted at non-users, beginning or basic computer users -- those who just use their computers for a few things like email, surfing, music and photos.  Some of these are Mac users who want to do more... others are PC users looking over the fence, and want to do more.

Not everyone who drives a car wants to become a mechanic, race car driver or automotive engineer -- most just want the basic utility of the car and the ability to do a few more fun or interesting things with it.  Same way, I suspect, with 50% (or more) of existing Mac and PC users.

These ads are saying: "if you buy or own a Mac, there are people out there who ail help you to get the results you want!"

That's an Apple exclusive -- and a pretty important one at that!

• Reply 278 of 322
    a_greer wrote: »

Fortunately, most people are smart enough to realize that "easy to use" != "any moron can do any of the 80 trillion things the computer is capable of without thinking".
  • Reply 279 of 322

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that Apple and some of the Big Box retailers are going to provide "store within a store" Apple stores.  Just imagine if you could go into a local BestBuy or Target and have an experience similar to the one provided by an Apple Store.

Your imagination must be better than mine.

I can imagine them trying, but succeeding? Nope.

If there is a need for them, why would they not succeed -- they would be an improvement over all prior attempts of Apple Store within a store.

They, truly would be Apple stores -- Apple staff, management, fixtures inventory.  It would be separated (glass walls) from the outside store and look and operate just like the Apple stores you know and love... I suspect, with proper planning and execution they would bring the same sales $ per square foot and traffic as traditional Apple Stores.

Here's, generally, how it works today (much of it in secrecy):

1. Apple does site selection analysis and surveys potential sites

2. Apple negotiates contract for rental of space

3. Apple creates plans specific to the space

4. Apple contracts for gutting and rebuilding the space (MS contracts for Microsoft Store across the street)

5. After 6-14 months the space is ready

6. Apple installs fixtures

7. Apple hires and trains staff

8. Apple installs inventory

9. Apple opens store.

Here is how it would, likely, work with a Apple Store Within say BestBuy:

1. Apple and Best Buy select stores from existing stores *

2. Apple and Best Buy Negotiate contract *

3. Apple creates prototype cookie-cutter store within a store **

4. Apple and Best Buy tweak plans for specific space ***

5. After 4 weeks space is ready

6. Apple installs fixtures

7. Apple hires and trains staff

8. Apple installs inventory

9. Apple opens store.

The time consuming items 1-5 are are eliminated, simplified or significantly reduced...

* these items (after the initial effort) are easy extensions to existing work and negotiations

** this is a one-time effort that is fine tuned as needed

*** these are minor changes to the basic cookie-cutter to accommodate special needs specific to the site -- no reason that you couldn't have a set of cookie-cutters to chose from

Apple furniture and fixtures are contract manufactured on an ongoing basis -- just like the supply chain for an iPhone...

Apple Store Management and staff are hired and trained on an ongoing basis -- they, too, are treated as part of the supply chain

Currently Apple can open about a dozen new stores a year and each store takes 24 months to become operational (my guesses for sake of this discussion).

With the New Apple Store Within a Store approach Apple could have 50-100 stores stages in various stages of metamorphosis at all times -- and open a new store with a 2 month lead time.  Conceivably they could open 200-400 stores (or more) per year.

Other than the planning and training/staffing (which shouldn't be a problem) the biggest challenge is to manage and monitor the stores... and there are people available that know how to do that.

• Reply 280 of 322
    If there is a need for them, why would they not succeed -- they would be an improvement over all prior attempts of Apple Store within a store.

They would not succeed because Best Buy and other retailers have never had any success in duplicating Apple's incredible service. They have neither the management, nor the training to do so.