Apple portrays itself as smartphone underdog in Samsung suit opening remarks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Follow @tim on Twitter to get live updates from inside the courtroom. Interesting stuff.
    Thanks. I do agree that Apple was an underdog but as far as no name and no credibility, I don't buy it.
  • Reply 42 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Packaging can't be patented, unless it is part of a product. The logo's on the packaging can be trademarked, but not patented.

Packaging is a part of trade dress which is included in this case.

• Reply 43 of 112
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

That makes no sense.  Samsung doesn't get off the hook just because Google created Android.   Perhaps Samsung should have insisted on legal indemnification before shipping these phones*.

*Not that it would completely help since it was Samsung's bright idea to mimic Apple's packaging and create Touchwhiz

Google has (at least belatedly) shown they will step in to assist if they're needed by a licensee. The best example is Google requesting to be added as a defendant in Nokia's IP suit against HTC. 

http://www.mobilemode.com/a/News/Android/Google-Wants-To-Co-Defend-HTC-Against-Nokia-In-Patent-Lawsu.html#.UBhB06U7WAg

In the case of Samsung, Google tried to convince Sammy to make design changes to avoid this lawsuit. I think they're on their own for now.

• Reply 44 of 112
    ham_boneham_bone Posts: 67member

samsung has blatantly copied apple from the devices look & feel itself  to its accessories & packaging.

• Reply 45 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I wasn't being at all obtuse. What about Apple's legal strategy so far makes you believe there's any subtlety involved, that they're "holding back"?

Only everything. Like the fact they only bring a few patents to the table when they launch a case or the fact they pick different patents against different offenders even though they could use the same.

They also can't bring everything at once because no court would allow for such a complex trial with so many things to consider. Apple (and others) have been told by judges before to "trim" their cases down to make them more managebale.

Apple is testing the waters and with each court victory they end up with a patent that's far more valuable as it's been "battle tested", so to speak.

• Reply 46 of 112
    To all of you: think back to 2005, 2006 and 2007. Where were Apple then? Success? In the mobile phones market? The court hearings are not about today!

They had a extremely popular mobile device called the iPod. Manufacturing a device that was a cell phone plus an iPod (and it turned out to be so much more) was sure to be a success.
  • Reply 47 of 112

Quote:

Apple's not playing chess. It's thermonuclear war.

But so far, most of Apple's tactical strikes have fizzled into duds.

• Reply 48 of 112

Quote:

Google has (at least belatedly) shown they will step in to assist if they're needed by a licensee. The best example is Google requesting to be added as a defendant in Nokia's IP suit against HTC. 

http://www.mobilemode.com/a/News/Android/Google-Wants-To-Co-Defend-HTC-Against-Nokia-In-Patent-Lawsu.html#.UBhB06U7WAg

In the case of Samsung, Google tried to convince Sammy to make design changes to avoid this lawsuit. I think they're on their own for now.

Google is trying to come to handset makers' aid now (you forgot to mention Google buying patents and trying to gift them to others like HTC), but Google made it clear in the beginning that they were not going to be held liable.  That should give any business person pause.

• Reply 49 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySwitched26 View Post

But so far, most of Apple's tactical strikes have fizzled into duds.

I wouldn't say that. They forced vendors to drop features like overscroll bounce or data tapping. Several versions of the GSIII have also received updates to remove universal search.

If Apple keeps this up they'll get what they want - removal of several key features that make the iPhone different.

• Reply 50 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's actually worse.

Samsung is essentially saying "we evaluated all these prototypes that look nothing like the iPhone and could easily have released a phone that did not mimic the iPhone so exactly, but we chose not to because of Apple's success, so we chose a phone that looks nearly identical to the iPhone. Nice job making Apple's case.

I laughed out loud when I read this.  Keep up the good work, JR!

• Reply 51 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

and packaging

And the wire that connects it to the wall socket!

• Reply 52 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

.... but as far as no name and no credibility, I don't buy it.

Of course you don't. What a surprise.

• Reply 53 of 112
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

. . . The really, really, obvious, intuitive gestures like pinch to zoom however were already in use for a long period beforehand so really simple stuff like that can be used by anyone (at least until the patent is asserted, challenged, and ruled on).  

Maybe, but Apple was pretty smart about going back and buying a lot of early IP from several sources (like FingerWorks.) I don't know, but quite probably Apple may well own the most strategically relevant and advantageous prior art.

• Reply 54 of 112
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    Maybe, but Apple was pretty smart about going back and buying a lot of early IP from several sources (like FingerWorks.) I don't know, but quite probably Apple may well own the most strategically relevant and advantageous prior art.

It seems that way to me.
  • Reply 55 of 112
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They had a extremely popular mobile device called the iPod. Manufacturing a device that was a cell phone plus an iPod (and it turned out to be so much more) was sure to be a success.

Of course it was "sure to be a success". By the benefit of hindsight. 

• Reply 56 of 112
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Because this is the how universe works, except perhaps for the Big Bang but you'll have to ask Dick Applebaum about that. Apparently his ears are still ringing from it. :D

Nah!   But I know a guy that dated her in high school!  Eins, zwei, g'suffa.

• Reply 57 of 112
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Once again Apple's legal team takes shortcuts and alters things to suit their needs.  First off we all know that product designs can take 18-24 months from creation to launch and the I700 (silver phone lower right corner pre-iPhone) was a 2003 launch so saying it was a 2005 phone is way off.  They of course are selectively showing Samsung Windows Phones at the time which Android did not exist and thus their focus was dictated based on technology trends at the time.  Android came along and was focused on touch based input so designs evolved over time.  One thing is for sure a lot of HTC, Dell, Palm, Motorola etc. devices evolved as well.

And, once again, there are two sides in every lawsuit.  If Apple is stretching the truth then the other side will have ample opportunity to address that.  There's no bullying here, it's a fair fight.

• Reply 58 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course it was "sure to be a success". By the benefit of hindsight. 

Especially since the original iphone looked exactly like an ipod with a click wheel for the rotary dialer.  Oh wait. . .

• Reply 59 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I wouldn't say that. They forced vendors to drop features like overscroll bounce or data tapping. Several versions of the GSIII have also received updates to remove universal search.

If Apple keeps this up they'll get what they want - removal of several key features that make the iPhone different.

More importantly, the competition is backing away from the blatant copies of Apple products. Put the original Tab next to the iPad of its time. It was so close that even their attorneys couldn't tell the difference and the largest reason for returns at Best Buy was people who thought they were buying an iPad. Now, after all the lawsuits, look at the Galaxy SIII next to the iPhone - Samsung has stopped the near-exact copies.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    Example?

He should've written it "when one goes thermonuclear war they get themselves blown up as well"