Apple designer Chris Stringer reveals dozens of iPhone prototypes at trial

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's exactly what the trolls say, at least. "What Apple did was a "natural progression" of what all phones were doing at the time. The iPhone was nothing unique."

i suspect trolls are a bit more blunt in their messaging.

if there's compelling reasons to believe the form factor and user interface / experience of the Sony Ericsson phone would have evolved into something akin to what we have today, Samsung has a case.  of course, Apple thinks otherwise.

• Reply 62 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i suspect trolls are a bit more blunt in their messaging.

Nope, that's exactly what they say.

• Reply 63 of 68

Quote:

That's exactly what the trolls say, at least. "What Apple did was a "natural progression" of what all phones were doing at the time. The iPhone was nothing unique."

I am not a troll (I guess that's subjective) but I do believe touchscreen based smartphones was a natural progression. The question is when and how it would have happened. Dating back to 1984, Apple has a history of not just being first with delivering such *progressions*, but doing so with little regard for legacy. Being an innovative pioneer does not mean one has to invent every component of a system from scratch. From GUI to touch to SSD to Retina Display, Apple didn't invent any of these technologies but has clearly been the first to deliver them to the mass market in a uniquely Applesque way.

• Reply 64 of 68
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Nope, that's exactly what they say.

in which case, we'll have to see whether the jury shares the same viewpoint.

anyways, i served on a jury before (double attempted murder) and i would love to be in the courtroom in current Samsung vs Apple proceedings.

• Reply 65 of 68
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    clemynx wrote: »
    Looks nice. I'm eagerly waiting for the day when screens are so slim and have such a high contrast that the interface just seems to be part of the surface glass. Just like consoles in Star Trek. For example when turning the phone on, you'd only see the Apple logo at the center without being able to see the extent of the screen.

We jumped a lot closer with the iPhone 4 when it brought IPS, Retina, and melded the display components directly to the glass. Back in 2010 that did look painted on. With the next iPhone we should hopefully get the display and touch panels as one meshed unit and GorillaGlass 2 which should bring that image even close to the top. If we assume they make the color representation better and backlight brighter, too, we could move even closer.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Too true. Is "chutzpah" a variation on"Eureka"?

No. You can Google it, but here it is : it means in Yidish, something like "extreme boldness". Nb : I learned this term from G Kawasaki, I do not speak yidish).

(the funny thing is that G Kawasaki learned to speak yidish, and uses this word, although he is not jewish).
  • Reply 67 of 68
    blitz1 wrote: »

Now claiming that someone has foreseen all the consequences of an invention or discovery is quite odd. Even Einstein, when playing some of his mind experiences with Bohr was beaten on his own turf... and un to this very day, new insights in GR are discovered.

The equations you are referring to, first discovered by Poincaré (and may be, a few others), "only" deal with special relativity, but not general relativity, introduced later on by Einstein alone.

But anyway my point is : even in Physics, a correct idea is not enough. the hard part is to "make it work", give it a " meaning", in other words, somehow, "implement it".
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Too true. Is "chutzpah" a variation on"Eureka"?

"chutzpah" is the trade mark of people afraid of nothing, and, because of this, often characterized as rebels.

Of course, this necessary condition is not enough to make a genius out of anybody, but Einstein, Grothendieck .. And Steve Jobs ... Fit with this psychological pattern.