Apple investigating iPad Smart Cover with secondary display

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has shown interest in creating an iPad Smart Cover that would act as a secondary touchscreen display for the device, showing simple status messages or even acting as a full-fledged touch keyboard.

The details were unveiled in a new patent application published on Thursday by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and discovered by AppleInsider. The filing, entitled "Cover Attachment with Flexible Display," shows an iPad Smart Cover that would feature a MagSafe-like magnetic connection to the iPad, sharing data that would be shown on the external display.

Apple's filing presents a number of unique ideas how a touch-capable Smart Cover display could add new functionality to the iPad. In the most basic example, the cover shows an additional row of icons on the home screen, while a more complex concept shows movie playback controls at a user's fingertips on the rear of the device while in use.

Another example shows the Smart Cover acting as a touch keyboard for the iPad, a feature that would be very similar to Microsoft's "Touch Cover" keyboard for its forthcoming Windows 8 Surface tablets.

But Apple's Smart Cover display would go many steps further, and could allow even more versatile functionality. One example in the application shows a user wielding a stylus to draw an Apple on the secondary display.

Patent 1

Patent 2

In another example, the secondary display is on the outside of the iPad when the Smart Cover is closed. There, the user is presented with system-saved reminders such as daily appointments, but the touchscreen functionality would also allow users to write in new reminders without the need to open the Smart Cover.

Patent 3

The concept, made public this week by the USPTO, was first filed by Apple in August of 2011. It is credited to Fletcher R. Rothkopf.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78

And.....cue the fanboys who try to say this is not stealing MSFT ideas. Listen, I love Apple as much as anyone, but lets call a spade a spade here, they got beat to the punch.

• Reply 2 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Already the losers at Engadget are saying Apple copied MS. But this patent was filed back in August of 2011, so clearly this is something Apple has been thinking about for a while. Plus who knows what will ever become of it? Has MS filed for a patent on their touch cover?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    xmikuxmiku Posts: 32member

I guess they patent every idea they come up... This seems overcomplicated to me and not very "Apple-like".

• Reply 4 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Already the losers at Engadget are saying Apple copied MS. But this patent was filed back in August of 2011, so clearly this is something Apple has been thinking about for a while. Plus who knows what will ever become of it? Has MS filed for a patent on their touch cover?

"Back in August of 2011" isn't that long ago. :)

For years Apple has been aggressive about applying for patents on everything they work on. It doesn't mean it's anything they actually planned to create, or even spent much time on investigating. They're covering all bases. It's just the way Apple does things, and it's helped them immensely. Competitors were way too slow in taking note of it, tho I think they've all received the memos now on the virtues of applying for patent protection on every little improvement or creation they think might be as least minimally unique.

• Reply 5 of 78
    And.....cue the fanboys who try to say this is not stealing MSFT ideas. Listen, I love Apple as much as anyone, but lets call a spade a spade here, they got beat to the punch.
    This is just a patent application, we have no idea if the patent will ever be approved and if it is if Apple will ever do anything with it. Also if MS already has something like this patented would this application even get approved?
  • Reply 6 of 78
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    gatorguy wrote: »

It was almost a whole year ago.

Did we see the Surface almost a whole year ago?

Hell, have we seen the Surface yet? ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 78
    gatorguy wrote: »
    No but it's hard to copy something that doesn't exist. And if MS already has a patent on something like this would this patent application even be approved?
  • Reply 8 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It was almost a whole year ago.

Did we see the Surface almost a whole year ago?

Hell, have we seen the Surface yet? ;-)

+1.  What an idiotic statement to make.  So, yes, Apple copied MS.  But because Apple has the ability to time travel, they can take the ideas from companies like MS today and go back in time, write a patent application and then be credited for something they didn't create.  And of course they didn't actually create the time machine, but just stole the idea from some other company (probably Samsung) in the future and we just don't realize that's the case now.

Stupid stupid Apple.  If only they'd spend some of their money creating their own ideas and products...

• Reply 9 of 78
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No but it's hard to copy something that doesn't exist. And if MS already has a patent on something like this would this patent application even be approved?

There's a high percentage of patents that get approved but later found to be invalid in whole or part. According to various studies, upwards of half of all patents are found invalid in some way once they're litigated. One study I read today goes so far as to claim 75% are trimmed once challenged. Simply because a patent was granted doesn't mean that it will be held valid if challenged. It's far easier and faster (and pays more?) for a patent examiner to approve a patent than deny one. 

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120717/00232219721/patent-office-releases-rules-to-let-third-parties-provide-documents-to-help-reject-patent-applications.shtml

• Reply 10 of 78
    namotnamot Posts: 3member

The perfect Smart Cover for me, should have a secondary E-ink display (reading books-reports, browsing outside etc...) I have no idea why some company didn't invented something like that already...:(

• Reply 11 of 78
    Looks like this patent is for a flexible touch panel/screen. So keyboard would be one of many uses for it. I'm not sure how you'd display app icons or draw on MS's touch cover.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

Once again Apple is copying another companies products.  Did Microsoft unveil a dual screen tablet not too long ago?  Sure this is a cover, but it still follows the same concept of two screens to use in concert and transfer data between screens.  That is what MS product did.  Just saying Apple takes inspiration and doesn't get sued, but others take inspiration from Apple and they get sued.

• Reply 13 of 78
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Wright View Post

okay to feed the troll... This is patent application so this means the idea probably predates anything MS came up with since we all know MS did not even begin the copy machine until the ipad came out. Remember the filing date Aug 2011 is not the invention or idea date that could be a year or more back in time. Patent Applications take time to put together. At least this one was granted fairly quickly.

Actually I would said this is the idea that MS was hoping for but they came up with a single function keyboard verse a multi-use add on like this.

• Reply 14 of 78
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

what is this obsession with physical keyboards??? I hope they don't do it!

• Reply 15 of 78
    raptoroo7 wrote: »
    Once again Apple is copying another companies products.  Did Microsoft unveil a dual screen tablet not too long ago?  Sure this is a cover, but it still follows the same concept of two screens to use in concert and transfer data between screens.  That is what MS product did.  Just saying Apple takes inspiration and doesn't get sued, but others take inspiration from Apple and they get sued.
    Try again troll. MS had a concept called Courier which would have been a dual screen tablet. But it was complete vaporware. And the project was killed, presumably to focus on Windows 8 and what would become the Surface. This patent shows a flexible screen which can fold back to be a stand (ala the smart cover today).
  • Reply 16 of 78
    techboy wrote: »
    MS touch cover is a physical keyboard. I think this would be touch screen?
  • Reply 17 of 78

Why not just make a Macbook AirTouch, or a Macbook ProTouch? Hey, there's a new product line for Apple - the AirTouch. Dual screen tablets have been dead in the water for a long time. But then again, this is Apple - if anyone can make it work, they can.

• Reply 18 of 78
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    techboy wrote: »

Agreed, and I do not think they will. One of the niece things with the iPad is that you can use it on your knees. If you want to achieve this with an iPad+secondary display, it must not be flexible, and you will end up ... Reinventing the laptop. I do not see the interest...
  • Reply 19 of 78
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Just saying Apple takes inspiration and doesn't get sued, but others take inspiration from Apple and they get sued.

Who is the most sued company in the world?

• Reply 20 of 78
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

very un-Apple.  Doubt this will ever become an actual product.  Too complicated.