Side-by-side iPhone, Galaxy S comparison revealed in internal Samsung 'evaluation report'

Comments

• Reply 181 of 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Could you translate that into English?

"OK, so I am not looking at the bunch of pass-it men wallowing at 'what could have been' on this board, right?" means

"OK, so I'm not looking at a bunch of men living in the past wallowing in 'what could have been' on this board, right?"

This person is obviously not a native English writer, but I envy his ability to write this well in a second language. I wish I had this skill. Was it really that hard to comprehend what he was attempting to get across? Honest question, because your comment could be construed to re-enforce his belief that this forum is chock full of bigots.

• Reply 182 of 407
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member

/tiredofarguing
  • Reply 183 of 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Somewhere, Microsoft and Nokia designers are saying "Oh.  NOW you tell us.  Back to the drawing board..."

You, sir, are my hero for the day. LOL

• Reply 184 of 407

Quote:

TS is a gentleman - he wouldn't cheat. But yes - he should referee.

When I went to high school (last century), "TS" was a pejorative meaning "Tough Shit"... or somesuch. ????

...'course "DA" was a pejorative meaning "Duck's Ass".  ????????????

• Reply 185 of 407
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Could you translate that into English?

"OK, so I am not looking at the bunch of pass-it men wallowing at 'what could have been' on this board, right?" means
    "OK, so I'm not looking at a bunch of men living in the past wallowing in 'what could have been' on this board, right?"

This person is obviously not a native English writer, but I envy his ability to write this well in a second language. I wish I had this skill. Was it really that hard to comprehend what he was attempting to get across? Honest question, because your comment could be construed to re-enforce his belief that this forum is chalk full of bigots.

When I replied there was only that one sentence, and no, it still makes no sense. I'll take your revision of "pass-it", but "wallowing in what could have been"? What is that about?

Anyway, I did realize that he was not a native English speaker and I should have worded my post more sensitively. Good advice. The phrase is "chock full" by the way.
  • Reply 186 of 407

When I went to high school (last century), "TS" was a pejorative meaning "Tough Shit"... or somesuch.

...'course "DA" was a pejorative meaning "Duck's Ass".  ????

Duck's Ass would be a great screen name.
  • Reply 187 of 407
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 188 of 407

Quote:

When I replied there was only that one sentence, and no, it still makes no sense. I'll take your revision of "pass-it", but "wallowing in what could have been"? What is that about?

Anyway, I did realize that he was not a native English speaker and I should have worded my post more sensitively. Good advice. The phrase is "chock full" by the way.

Thank you for the grammar correction, I edited my post. The wallowing part was in reference to a previous post he made about a historical time period in the US that was anti-Asian probably due to some general American sentiment after WWII. I believe he may have thought people were railing against Samsung on this forum because of that mostly long-forgotten anti-Asian sentiment. Thankfully, that's not the case.

• Reply 189 of 407
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Quote:

When I went to high school (last century), "TS" was a pejorative meaning "Tough Shit"... or somesuch. ????

...'course "DA" was a pejorative meaning "Duck's Ass".  ????????????

I thought it was the name of a stylish men's hairstyle.  Not pejorative.

• Reply 190 of 407
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Your argument has a flaw. A design IS a method of doing something and that design can be patented.
    Reading isn't your strongest side I see.
    I mentioned 'design style' not 'design'. So your 'argument' falls flat on its face.
    Read, before you comment.
    You can interpret 'design style' as a generic design, more like an idea.
    You could also interpret is as a 'design fragment'.
    Look at the examples I gave to understand it better.

And in my opinion even a design doesn't qualify as patentable, unless it has an implementation or something that's comparable (like a very detailed blueprint accomanied by a simulation).

J.
  • Reply 191 of 407

Thank you for the grammar correction, I edited my post. The wallowing part was in reference to a previous post he made about a historical time period in the US that was anti-Asian probably due to some general American sentiment after WWII. I believe he may have thought people were railing against Samsung on this forum because of that mostly long-forgotten anti-Asian sentiment. Thankfully, that's not the case.

I see, and I agree that he was reading far too much into the current situation, which is clearly much more Apple V. Samsung than U.S. v. South Korea.
  • Reply 192 of 407
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Seems odd that Steve wouldn't have been CC'd on that if he was actually receptive.

• Reply 193 of 407

He can be rest assured that this whole mess started with Google, an American company. What is in question here are the business practices of the people at the very top in these companies.
  • Reply 194 of 407

Hahahaha! Wow, so Steve Jobs' thoughts on a 7-inch tablet evolved from 2010 to 2011 because his executive team was repeatedly bringing up the subject to him. There's definitely never been a time when Steve Jobs changed his mind. There's never been a time when Steve Jobs said one thing then did another. /s

What is this supposed to prove? That Apple copied Samsung? That Samsung didn't copy Apple? Because Steve Jobs and the executive team entertained and may still be entertaining the idea of a 7-inch tablet?

Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your intention because, otherwise, you're grasping at straws, and I don't even have a fully formed opinion in this case!

• Reply 195 of 407
    macrulez wrote: »

It's an interesting perspective on the internal thinking at Apple, but I would argue that entering a market segment (in this case the 7" tablet market) is not the same as entering a market segment and copying your competitors existing design, which comprises far more than just the size.
  • Reply 196 of 407

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Seems odd that Steve wouldn't have been CC'd on that if he was actually receptive.

Thats a good point, I have to CC all my projects to three people above me all the time.  Its actually saved my ass several times lol

• Reply 197 of 407

deleted

• Reply 198 of 407
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I don't know if those Apple's internal email addresses are in public domain. But, it's nice to know that we can actually speak directly to the source(s) about our displeasure instead of arguing endlessly here at AI and accomplishing nothing of significance. The only people who can change Apple's behaviors are people INSIDE the Apple's castle.

• Reply 199 of 407

deleted

• Reply 200 of 407
    macrulez wrote: »
    Please tell me I'm misunderstanding your intention...
    This AI article describes a moment in which Samsung apparently evaluated an Apple product in ways that were useful in determining the direction of their own products.

The article I linked to describes a moment in which Apple apparently evaluated a Samsung product in ways that were useful in determining the direction of their own products.

Neither article is likely to have any material effect on the outcomes of the specific allegations on trial, which will of course be decided by the jury there, not any of the posters in this obscure forum.

But those who get their news from multiple sources have an opportunity to gain a perspective about how companies work which may differ from the more selective portrayal offered here in AI.

So, just to be clear, you really think that Samsung's detailed, feature-by-feature comparison study including options to copy Apple's implementations is equivalent to a discussion at Apple on whether or not to make a 7" tablet.