AT&T to join Verizon in offering shared data plans beginning August 23

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member

Larger families/family plans with varying usage will make out the most. Also don't forget that unlike a regular family plan that caps off at 5 users this goes to 10 devices on AT&T.

I currently have my parents on my plan. However since there is 6 of us we are on 1 family of 5 and a separate plan of 1. I can merge the two get 15 gigs or even 20 gigs of data, give my son an iphone and still come out ahead $$ wise over what I currently have.  

• Reply 22 of 48
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

From the web page:

AT&T Mobile Share plans include a monthly data charge plus a monthly charge for each device you add up to a total of 10 devices. At least one smartphone is required to be part of each AT&T Mobile Share group. Includes Unlimited Talk & Text for all phones, FREE Mobile Hotspot for capable smartphones, and no roaming or long distance charges nationwide!

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

I'm actually cautiously optimistic.  we have 5 phones, 3 of which are smart phones and quick math without taxes (etc) says I'm actually going to save money.  However as this is AT&T, I'm sure I'm wrong about that somehow.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was wondering the same thing.

• Reply 23 of 48
    deeseedeesee Posts: 1member

I think people are overlooking the voice and text. 

Currently I have:

550 min shared family plan - $50 primary iPhone, $10 for 2nd iPhone

1000 text messages for 2nd iPhone: $10

No text plan for 1st iPhone: $0

2GB Data first iPhone: $25 (Don't need this much data, but next lowest plan of 300MB makes no sense)

2GB Data 2nd iPhone: $25 (Don't need this much data, but next lowest plan of 300MB makes no sense)

No Tethering

No Unlimited Voice

No Unlimited Text, and on one phone no texting or mms or nada!!

TOTAL: $120 + Tax

Under this new plan:

1GB Data Plan: $40

1st iPhone: $45

2nd iPhone: $45

TOTAL: $130 + Tax

Now with UNLIMITED VOICE AND TEXT!! AND TETHERING!!

So this is a huge saving for me because if I wanted more voice and more text under my current plan, I would easily pass $130. Even if I jumped to 4GB, and a new total of $160, its still a savings because of the unlimited voice, text, and tethering.

I think this is a no brainer for our situation. Can't wait!

• Reply 24 of 48

This will save me $30 a month on my phone plan.  I know it doesn't work for everyone.. but I'm thankful for it.  $30 is $30..

On another note, AT&T just sent me a email telling me I can get an early upgrade on my iPhone with a new 2 year commitment.  Interesting.. they must want to dump their iPhones prior to the new release. 

• Reply 25 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

For a big-ish family they may work.

As a single user with iPhone + iPad, no way.

Yep, I agree. Chris Breen of MacWorld said he bought a Cellular capable iPad and has only used the cell connection twice in about a year. I had a WiFi only iPad 2 and sold it....waiting for the iPad 7". It will be WiFi only. I'll use my iPhone 4s for when I can't get wifi. Last thing I want to do is give the cell companies higher monthly payments!

I want to simplify my digital life and have Sprint not reaching into my pocket every time I turn around...gave ATT the boot a few months ago.

iP5 + iPad 7" plus the new AppleTV Television and I'm good to go. 

• Reply 26 of 48
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

It's a no brainer for me as well. I used between 6-10GB per month. Plus it allows me to put my little brother on my plan for cheap. 

• Reply 27 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

How does a MacBook connect to AT&T network?

• Reply 28 of 48

After sticking with them for five years, I'm pretty sure I'm done.

The next iPhone will have LTE. My area is flooded with Verizon LTE. The closest AT&T LTE is two hours away from me.

• Reply 29 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    applezilla wrote: »
    After sticking with them for five years, I'm pretty sure I'm done.

The next iPhone will have LTE. My area is flooded with Verizon LTE. The closest AT&T LTE is two hours away from me.

I have AT&T LTE well covered in my area. I've also noticed that my iPad (3) will not have any coverage in some areas while my AT&T iPhone 4 has full bars. That said, I'll likely be moving to Verizon, too. They'll have simultaneous voice and data when on LTE which was one of the biggest issues for me with CDMA-based networks.

Remember the people that kept saying that EV-DO Rev. B was just a SW update and that Verizon and Sprint would that feature soon enough? I sure do, and it never happened.

I expect to pay more on Verizon than I do on AT&T but that isn't my primary concern.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

A few considerations...

• People on low minute plans now get unlimited

• Limited text plans now unlimited for all devices.

• Save $15/month for tethering capability.

• Turn off cellular for tablets and save by tethering to phone.

• Add phones 6-10.

Take those into consideration when comparing your apples and oranges....

Everyone needs to look at what they want from the plan and is it worth it for them to change.  If not, you get to keep what you have.

• Reply 31 of 48
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

A few considerations...

• People on low minute plans now get unlimited

• Limited text plans now unlimited for all devices.

• Save $15/month for tethering capability.

• Turn off cellular for tablets and save by tethering to phone.

• Add phones 6-10.

Take those into consideration when comparing your apples and oranges....

Everyone needs to look at what they want from the plan and is it worth it for them to change.  If not, you get to keep what you have.

so those of us who don't care about tethering or unlimited minutes now have to pay for it?

• Reply 32 of 48
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

so those of us who don't care about tethering or unlimited minutes now have to pay for it?

Then most likely the shared plan is not for you...that is why I said "Everyone needs to look at what they want from the plan and is it worth it for them to change.  If not, you get to keep what you have."

• Reply 33 of 48

Currently, the unlimited minutes would cost you $70 for the first line and $50 for each additional line.  On a family plan, you can pay $30 a month for unlimited text with mobile to any mobile calling.  Doing some math, what we see is that AT&T is basically waiving that $50 per line charge on the unlimited talk and charging you $10 / GB for your data in predetermined increments.  I don't necessarily have a problem with them charging for additional devices on the network (call it the overhead for the device being registered on the network), I just wish they didn't make it so complicated by splitting it into 3 tiers.  What would make everything just stupid simple is for AT&T to do something like this:

$100 / month for an account with Unlimited Talk + Text (up to 10 devices)

$10 / month / device for non-phone devices that use AT&T's cellular network (MiFi, tablets w/ 3G, etc...)

$10 / GB data for shared data between all devices ... billed for what you use and not paying for more than you need.

Annnnnnnd ... that's it. No need to subject people to that table of numbers that they threw out there.

They're essentially doing what I proposed now, just pinning people down into a certain number of GB.  Also, since the per smartphone charge is the same once you hit 10+ GB, they're REALLY giving you GB 11-20 at a rate of $8 / GB.

It's not a TERRIBLE plan, AT&T just sucks balls at explaining what they are doing.

• Reply 34 of 48

Looks like a break even for us. 550 family plan + 2 tethered 5GB data plans = ~$200. 2 iPhones on the shared plan w/ 10GB ~$200. Lets me eat more data as my wife just sips for the most part...and she eats the lion's share of voice (went over the last 2 months to keep in touch with her aging mom.)

• Reply 35 of 48
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,809member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They'll have simultaneous voice and data when on LTE which was one of the biggest issues for me with CDMA-based networks.

Remember the people that kept saying that EV-DO Rev. B was just a SW update and that Verizon and Sprint would that feature soon enough? I sure do, and it never happened.

As usual you are wrong. I don't follow Verizon news so I don't know what they are doing/planning to do but SVDO on Sprint is already being done now and does not require LTE. Sprint went with "DO advanced" instead of Rev. B. Yes you need a phone capable of using it like the S3 or pretty much any of the newer phones on Sprint released in the last 6 months with enough antenna diversity, but the phone just is communicating 3G EVDO in the same fashion it always does to a EVDO carrier at a site, and is also communicating to a 1x voice carrier. So simultaneous voice and data is already possible on Sprint without using LTE. 

• Reply 36 of 48
    gwmac wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]As usual you are wrong. I don't follow Verizon news so I don't know what they are doing/planning to do but SVDO on Sprint is already being done now and does not require LTE. Sprint went with "DO advanced" instead of Rev. B. Yes you need a phone capable of using it like the S3 or pretty much any of the newer phones on Sprint released in the last 6 months with enough antenna diversity, but t<span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;line-height:22px;">he phone just is communicating 3G EVDO in the same fashion it always does to a EVDO carrier at a site, and is also communicating to a 1x voice carrier. So simultaneous voice and data is already possible on Sprint without using LTE. </span>
    [/SIZE]

Do Verizon and Sprint have this feature? Nope. Was just a server-side SW update that allowed all their devices to haw SVD? Nope.

Even you say it was only on te newer phones hitch discredits the claim you trying to make. If you're going to troll you could at least put a little effort into it.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,809member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do Verizon and Sprint have this feature? Nope. Was just a server-side SW update that allowed all their devices to haw SVD? Nope.

Even you say it was only on te newer phones hitch discredits the claim you trying to make. If you're going to troll you could at least put a little effort into it.

You said SVDO on CDMA is not possible. It is and doesn't requite LTE. Sprint had to upgrade their network with DO advanced to offer this ability and I am pretty sure Verizon did as well. Yes it requires newer phones to take advantage of that feature but all phones from now on will be able to use it. Just admit you were wrong and SVDO on CDMA networks is possible. Crow isn't that foul tasting. You can do it. 

It really is a moot point since this is just a bridge technology. LTE will be everywhere soon on all carriers and it can already do it so no big deal. But it can be accomplished now for those on Sprint or Verizon that requite that and do not live in an LTE area. Granted it only works on some phones like the S3 and several more, but it is possible. 

• Reply 38 of 48
    flowneyflowney Posts: 53member

How does this compare with Verizon's shared data plan?

• Reply 39 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud30000 View Post

The big benefits to this plan which many pass over:

Unlimited Talk

Unlimited Text

Free Tethering

If you want to compare it on an equal level to your current plan, take into account the cost to add those features to your current plan as well. This new pricing option is for those in which the three major features above are something they are willing to pay a little more to get.

I have 550 minutes a month and using probably 200 max, 300 minutes expire every month, I send about 5-6 messages a month - that's 20 cents a message = 1 dollar a month. 2 iPhones, 1 unlimited, 1  300 MB, 1 feature phone. How can I save with these new plans?

• Reply 40 of 48
    gwmac wrote: »
    You said SVDO on CDMA is not possible. It is and doesn't requite LTE. Sprint had to upgrade their network with DO advanced to offer this ability and I am pretty sure Verizon did as well. Yes it requires newer phones to take advantage of that feature but all phones from now on will be able to use it. Just admit you were wrong and SVDO on CDMA networks is possible. Crow isn't that foul tasting. You can do it. 

It really is a moot point since this is just a bridge technology. LTE will be everywhere soon on all carriers and it can already do it so no big deal. But it can be accomplished now for those on Sprint or Verizon that requite that and do not live in an LTE area. Granted it only works on some phones like the S3 and several more, but it is possible. 

I said it was not possible with a simply SW update. There is HW that is involved. I know you have a beef with me for trouncing your poorly formed comments on this site but if you don't want to keep taking you to school you should at least try to read more carefully.

"Remember the people that kept saying that EV-DO Rev. B was just a SW update and that Verizon and Sprint would that feature soon enough?"