Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Yet, you find time to bless us with your presence. Isn't there an Android forum somewhere, or is there not enough people using Android capable of sustaining a forum? 

This. Times infinity.

• Reply 22 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Street view? Meh. Street view is only really necessary if you're incapable of reading a map.

I can see the argument over transit information, but the rest of the arguments are mostly whining. And if the Apple solution doesn't suit you, no one is stopping you from downloading an app from Google.

You either live in a box and don't have a computer or your are lying, or you're computer illiterate.

When you need it, I hope Google charges you to use it on 2007 tech phone.  Cool calculator though. 2+2 =4. Who would need more than that, it's only 2012.

• Reply 23 of 106
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

Google doesn't have a choice.  All apps will default to Apple Maps.  Apple Maps need only be "good enough."  The only exception are the apparent shut-ins who seem to suggest they are unable to function without low resolution 360 degree panoramic images of everywhere to which they might possibly travel (although that apparently excludes most of the planet).

The percent of users who use the default apps on their smartphone or don't use their smartphone smartly is extremely high.

Notably, there are more cities which have been fully rendered than are listed in the article.

More importantly, the searchable database of points of interest has expanded as much as 1,000 times.  The difference is quite dramatic especially in foreign cities (Edinburgh, Rome, Seoul, Sydney, Yokohama, etc.).

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 24 of 106

erased

• Reply 25 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

You either live in a box and don't have a computer or your are lying, or you're computer illiterate.

When you need it, I hope Google charges you to use it on 2007 tech phone.  Cool calculator though. 2+2 =4. Who would need more than that, it's only 2012.

You're about one or two posts away from a permanent ban, courtesy one of the other mods. Stop posting this stupid crap and get yourself back to a legitimate argument. It's quite obvious you've never even touched an iPhone.

• Reply 26 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

wow, of all the thousands of densely populated cities in Canada they managed to include ... one.

Well, Montreal was already the first Canadian city that they had at the WWDC 2012 demo of Maps, and now they just added Toronto. More cities to follow.

• Reply 27 of 106
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Transit is vital to me, but I expect Google to step up to that task (and Street View as well) and that’s OK. (I do think they’ll wait a bit, to make sure there’s an outcry over the loss of transit, but in the end they want their maps in front of everyone’s eyes, so we’ll get transit back! Sadly, I will then be using two GREAT map apps instead of one single “very good” one. The consolidation was nice.)

Re those Flyover maps: it looks like one of those UK cities is not rendering with the same quality. Birmingham shows realistic oppressive UK fog rolling in, right out of Conan Doyle. But the pea soup fog is missing from the Manchester image. Hopefully they’ll add that before release.

• Reply 28 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This thread has become shit. Thanks [B]4TheLoveOfTech[/B]¡
  • Reply 29 of 106
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

My main use for opening the maps app has been for directions. But since it doesn't offer voice turn by turn I rarely ever use the current Google maps and instead used Waze or Mapquest. But they aren't really that great and are hit and miss with directions and sometimes tell you to turn long after you have passed the road. With an Apple branded maps that includes voice turn by turn along with Siri integration for asking directions I am very excited. We can finally have a free native turn by turn app which is great for the platform. Anyone that switched from an Android to an iPhone immediately noticed this deficiency, but no longer. 

Other than in the car I really don't ever use it. Well, besides on vacation while walking. But my main use for any GPS/map type app is behind the wheel. I think this is the far bigger news than 3D maps. 

• Reply 30 of 106
    I'd venture that flying multiple passes over everywhere is easier than trying to drive down every road in every town in every state/province/prefecture/oblast in every country on the planet.

And combined with street shots of businesses, et. al., is a full-on equivalent of the now-discontinued QuickTime VR really the best solution?

But it's Toronto, eh; it's the important one, there. :lol:

And yes, I know about the whole 'western provinces aren't getting proper representation' thing going on. You do know it's a beta, right?

If you go to the very very top of the CN tower on Kings Island... On a clear day, You can see downtown Buffalo.

It doesn't get any better than this!
  • Reply 31 of 106
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This thread has become shit. Thanks 4TheLoveOfTech¡

And here i was hoping he had one or two posts of crep to post then Tal could kick it into Mod-mod. 'idkfa' Booyah!
  • Reply 32 of 106
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 229member

Quote:

am i missing something here?? what kind of calculator you are expecting on a phone? or you are just talking about the calculator icon?

• Reply 33 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're about one or two posts away from a permanent ban, courtesy one of the other mods. Stop posting this stupid crap and get yourself back to a legitimate argument. It's quite obvious you've never even touched an iPhone.

I first got screwed by Apple for buying the original iPhone for full price.  I then got a useless credit in the iTunes store (not the Apple Store) when they lowered the price.

I upgraded to the iPhone 3G and then realized that AT&T sucked and I couldn't get a phone call on my phone because of Apple and AT&T.  Then came the iPhone 4 and I still had to hold my phone out the patio door at home to get a call.  My company I worked for finally dropped AT&T (before Apple went to free phone if you stick with us).

I am so happy my company dropped AT&T and went to Verizon.  I got my first taste of Android and now that every store including the 7-11 has the iPhone I have no desire to go back.

But back to the point of the posting.  I've had free maps and turn by turn navigation since then.

Apple just seems like they are the enemy in the 1984 computer commercial these days.

Take a view down memory land and listen for the walled garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Kind of scary if you think that Apple became what they once thought was evil.

• Reply 34 of 106
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    An additional note is that Apple resolved several major issues; traffic data (collisions, construction, road closures, traffic delays), lack of points of interest and small fonts for street names when navigating.

• Reply 35 of 106
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    WOW...

That's just magical.  The rest of the world will appreciate the lack of content and no street view.

iOS 6 is looking like it's going to go over about as well as Yahoo with the lack of any real map program or youtube.

Street view is completely worthless. I have never once had the need for it and I travel extensively (as in > 200 days/year). Same with transit. Most cities don't have it and those that do are frequently wrong on the Google routing.
  • Reply 36 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member

I see. So I'm computer illiterate or lying because I'm smart enough to look at a map on a GPS screen and figure out where I am - and you're not. Go figure.
  • Reply 37 of 106
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    .  I have a Nexus 7 and am invested in Google,

Sorry to hear about that.
  • Reply 38 of 106

Quote:

It's on my Samsung Galaxy S III, not my computer.  Although, I guess you could say it's a computer as I don't need my laptop anymore once I'm out of the office.

I get home and have my Nexus 7 that is butter smooth.  Oh yeah, cool about the maps.  Just got side tracked by how much I use Google everyday.

You shouldn't get in so deep with one company. makes it too hard to leave their ecosystem

• Reply 39 of 106
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I have a Nexus 7 and am invested in Google

And you have the nerve to accuse others of being computer illiterate? *shakes head*
  • Reply 40 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This thread has become shit. Thanks 4TheLoveOfTech¡

This thread as opposed to your "I can't be wrong, regardless of what I post even when it is clearly obvious you're either drunk off your as* or on drugs".

I am at least willing to talk about why Apple Maps suck.  That is the reason for a room full of people to discuss what they thing or how they feel.

You are getting really Sloppy and lazy in your replies (if your are still the same Sloppyism).