Apple adds more 3D cities to iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post

…it's your bedtime. I have to get ready for a night with the wife and getting busy is what I do best at night.  Thankfully my day job supports my night fetishes.

• Reply 62 of 106
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

As if Apple will stop working on it the day iOS ships. Google had years to gets its mapping in place. Apple will outsource the local transit to 3rd party developers, who will swarm at the opportunity to make money under the umbrella Apple has left for them. The choice of such will be much greater at better in the long run than if Apple did it all themselves. Sure, this is not the usual Apple way, but it doesn't mean it wont work either.

• Reply 63 of 106
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Because America is for free Speech, Apple Maps in IOS6 really do suck.  Apple lost youtube today and it's your bedtime.

I have to get ready for a night with the wife and getting busy is what I do best at night.  Thankfully my day job supports my night fetishes.

Looks like this one's been pushed over the edge. Someone please put him out of his misery.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

As if Apple will stop working on it the day iOS ships. Google had years to gets its mapping in place. Apple will outsource the local transit to 3rd party developers, who will swarm at the opportunity to make money under the umbrella Apple has left for them. The choice of such will be much greater at better in the long run than if Apple did it all themselves. Sure, this is not the usual Apple way, but it doesn't mean it wont work either.

Ooh, what? I don't like that idea. I'd think Apple would interface with local transit groups to pull all the times into the proper iOS maps database itself rather than force individual apps for each city's transit, don't you? 

I mean, for Siri, Apple just pulls from WolframAlpha and various sports sources; they don't have to create their own repositories to host that data. It's like traffic. Apple doesn't have a network of traffic cams/people themselves; they pull the data from the sources that are already in place. Why wouldn't they just do that with transit and walking data, too?

• Reply 65 of 106
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Apple lost youtube today and it's your bedtime.

I have to get ready for a night with the wife...
    Morgan Fairchild?
  • Reply 66 of 106

Quote:

You either live in a box and don't have a computer or your are lying, or you're computer illiterate.

When you need it, I hope Google charges you to use it on 2007 tech phone.  Cool calculator though. 2+2 =4. Who would need more than that, it's only 2012.

Nothing about the content of your post justifies taking anything you say seriously.

And yes, that 2007 tech phone has your precious google street view and scientific calculator built in. But you wouldn't know about that, would you?

• Reply 67 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Street view is completely worthless. I have never once had the need for it and I travel extensively (as in > 200 days/year). Same with transit. Most cities don't have it and those that do are frequently wrong on the Google routing.

Not to be contrary, but I use Street View because I can't travel to many places I find interesting. For example, I used street view to walk around ground zero in Hiroshima, see what a particular neighborhood in Nova Scotia was like, and do other virtual sightseeing on my iMac. For GPS I love my simple Tomtom that attaches to my windshield with a sucker. I use some things because I already own them and others because they are easy. 

I hope Apple's entry into the mapping arena makes Google work harder to keep their dominance which will cause Apple to work harder to give the iDevice owners a top-notch experience. It will be win-win.

• Reply 68 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Looks like this one's been pushed over the edge. Someone please put him out of his misery.

Tallest doesn't have that kind of powah! Unfortunately.

• Reply 69 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Teckstud is back again, I see. How many aliases does that deranged guy have anyway?

It'd be awesome if AI's forum software could detect a banned troll's past handles and automatically display them.

• Reply 70 of 106

Quote:

You want me censored for not having the same opinion as the rest of the postings while the only one that broke any rules was the moderator "TheTallestSki".

Is this really an open forum to give your opinion?

The Ski moderator sounds like he's in his parents house and replying out of his room before he has to go to bed for the 5th grade.

To put it more clearly.  Apple maps in iOS6 suck in their current rendition.  The room can apologize for Apple all they want.

APPLE NEEDS GOOGLE FOR THE IPHONE.

If you just joined, why do you have so much animosity towards Solipsism and Tallest? No, you've been here before, you've posted before, under a different alias.

• Reply 71 of 106
    Street View does have its uses even if you have the exact address and can read a map.

One example is being able to identify the destination address by sight ("tall yellow building") rather than try to decipher street numbers (which can often be very difficult to read while driving.

Other examples might be understanding if street parking will be easy or difficult, if there's a parking lot/garage, whether or not the road is a major thoroughway or just a side street/residential road.

This is one of the limitations with GPS navigation apps; they say "turn in 500 feet" when a typical human being might find better instructions to be "turn right before the light blue dental office building".
  • Reply 72 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly? Street view is nice, but I used it once just to check out the cool pictures. In real life, it is just about useless or in the very least unneeded most of the time. This 3D mapping will be cooler and just as useless as Street view. Apple's maps address the number one shorting coming of the built in maps. Namely the lack of turn by turn navigation. Further, Tom is providing the mapping data, which means the map data will be good. 

Besides turn-by-turn directions, Street View is probably the most useful feature of Google Maps. It has its frustrations, but it pretty much allows you to see how the place looks before you even get there. Sometimes satellite imagery is only so useful for finding that unfamiliar restaurant. 

I'm HOPING 3D maps will at least get pretty close, but I doubt that it can replace street-levle photography. 

• Reply 73 of 106
    herbapou wrote: »
    I hope the turn by turn GPS will work offline or its kind of worthless for me. I use my GPS when I go to the US and I dont have a data plan in the US.
    You are better off using a GPS app with offline/built-in maps.

Whether you use the basic mapping function on an Android device or iOS device, there's no way to ensure that you'll have all the map tiles for everywhere you might be going, so you should have the entire map on your device.

There are free GPS navi apps like NavFree or payware apps like CoPilot.

Of course, without data, you lose real-time traffic and traffic incidents/events, but almost all GPS navi apps will work okay with just a GPS signal (I drive a lot in the mountains where there is no cellular signal).

Just don't expect this kind of mapping app (the basic iOS map app) to provide all the map tiles for GPS navigation.
  • Reply 74 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by dmarcoot View Post

Ooh, what? I don't like that idea. I'd think Apple would interface with local transit groups to pull all the times into the proper iOS maps database itself rather than force individual apps for each city's transit, don't you? 

I mean, for Siri, Apple just pulls from WolframAlpha and various sports sources; they don't have to create their own repositories to host that data. It's like traffic. Apple doesn't have a network of traffic cams/people themselves; they pull the data from the sources that are already in place. Why wouldn't they just do that with transit and walking data, too?

True. Could happen. There's some good apps out there, and databases to tie into. I like Apple's idea of doing things these days, and yes, even Twitter and Facebook system level integration, although I agree it should have a Settings to Turn them On/OFF.

But the way Apple is tying in other businesses, apps, databases, I think is the right way to go. Using TomTom, OpenMaps, Waze, etc. is brilliant in my opinion. Same with Yelp, etc. etc. etc. Apple is building a HUGE SEARCH ENGINE, that will in many ways surpass Google in the long run. And they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. In my opinion, they are looking at what they think are the best apps/databases and integrating them into a larger, stronger, more applicable, more usable way of FINDING, not just SEARCHING for the information you need at any given moment.

Just sayin'....

• Reply 75 of 106
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Street view? Meh. Street view is only really necessary if you're incapable of reading a map.

I can see the argument over transit information, but the rest of the arguments are mostly whining. And if the Apple solution doesn't suit you, no one is stopping you from downloading an app from Google.

Nonsense. Street View is an incredibly useful tool to see what an area you're not familiar with actually looks like from human eye level. Even if Apple ever manage to get (and maintain) aerial views for every city, town, and village in the world, they will only be of use when we all have jet packs. (or helicopters)

Street View is invaluable. Aerial views are fluff.

• Reply 76 of 106

duplicate

• Reply 77 of 106

The great Street View vs Arial View Suck-Off of August 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Nonsense. Street View is an incredibly useful tool to see what an area you're not familiar with actually looks like from human eye level. Even if Apple ever manage to get (and maintain) aerial views for every city, town, and village in the world, they will only be of use when we all have jet packs. (or helicopters)

So:

• the [Google] iOS maps app has had street view since 2008

• the [Apple] iOS 6 doesn't have street view and the app won't be available until September 2012

• "Street View are invaluable"

• "Arial Views are fluff"

Your hyperbole, and the fact that Apple's iOS 6 maps app just added 3D Arial view for some additional cities, gives me an idea for a contest...

Background:

I was at an IBM symposium in the early 1970s that was held in Boston.  We lived in ChicagoLand and decided to drive.  I dropped wife and daughter at my wife's parents' house in Pittsburgh on the way.  On leaving Boston, I decided to drive through upper NY state so I could see Niagara Falls.  Long story short... Lotsa' snow, got to Niagara Falls, total disappointment... the falls was turned off...  Seriously, they had dammed the river and diverted the flow so they could remove the alluvial rock buildup beneath the falls.  

A Few years later, I was at an awards symposium  in Toronto... our pre-planned, orchestrated "free time" event was a trip to Kings Island Park -- where it was said that from the very top of the CN Tower you could see downtown Buffalo... This was of interest to me because Buffalo was the home of Niagara Falls -- and I still wanted to see Niagara Falls...  The CN Tower was closed, so no luck there... So near, but it was not to be as I couldn't take a side trip (IBM arranged all the transportation).

Aha!  Now's my chance to see Niagara Falls and test Street View vs Arial View.

Search Results [Google] Maps app

Click images for larger view

Search Results [Apple] Maps app

Street View [Google] Maps app

OK, What do I do now?

Arial View [Apple] Maps app

The great Street View vs Arial View Suck-Off of August 2012

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You be the judge!

• Reply 78 of 106

Ya' know...

Apple may really have something here...

I have been playing with the new maps and looking at places I've lived, worked or visited --- to see if a 3D aerial view was available, and how it looked.

Some surprises: Stanford University campus is 3D...but less than a mile outside the campus (Palo Alto proper) is not. You can't see HP HQ in 3D.

Most of downtown LA is 3D -- out through the Wilshire District is 3D... but 3D ends abruptly at Wilton... You can see the Angel's Flight Cable Car at 4th and Hill in 3D.... From Main you Spring to Broadway, then over the Hill to Olive... Oh isn't it Grand to Hope to find a Flower on Figueroa?

Angel's Flight Cable Car (purple pin) is a train that goes 1 block up a steep hill in downtown LA.

Paris and Rome aren't... Chicago is...

Even when there is no 3D data for buildings, there seems to be 3D data for the earth's surface (different sources?).

I find exploring in Flat 3D mode (no 3D data) Arial view (at an angle) more useful and faster that 90 degree overhead view -- you get a much better perspective [pun intended].

All-in-all, exploring this way is interesting, educational... and kinda' fun.

My grandson is a Minecraft [game] addict, and his interest is rejuvenated every few nonths when a new "Texture Pack" is released for the game.

A release of some "new cities 3D data" for Apple Maps is kinda' like a new texture pack -- it rekindles [pun] your interest and makes you want to go exploring anew.

This is not your father's map... where your Mom read the map while your Dad drove and yelled at her -- in the process of getting lost.

Apple could release iOS 6 Maps with a statement that 3D is incomplete, but more "texture packs" will be coming every few months...  and turn a negative into a positive.

• Reply 79 of 106
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You be the judge!

That's a nice extreme example of cherry picking.

Now find a shop, any shop, I don't mind which, from a town or village, not a city, in the UK (as I live there).  You'll see it from human eye level in street view. Useful.

Now show me the same in either Google or Apple's jetpack mode. 

Go on, I dare you.

• Reply 80 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And people go on about Apple fanboys. God if I hear one more fandroid go on about how "buttery smooth" their device is I'll vomit. It's an electronic device not a dairy product. Plus iOS devices have been "buttery smooth" all along so big frigging deal.