New 'All on iPad' ad ditches 'Genius' campaign format

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If not the Genius ads they need some Mac focused campaign to take advantage of the Win shit storm up ahead. Apple will have more Retina Macs in the next year and they all these stores that will help users in ways WinPC users can't imagine. They need to take advantage of it with some campaign.

..."the Winshit storm up ahead..."

There, I fixed that for you ... /wink
  • Reply 42 of 65
    I've seen the same things in my Apple Store. Lots of people... kids to adults... learning things.
    If only the commercials showed the inside of an Apple Store... I think that would be helpful.
    I bet only a tiny percentage of people who live within range of an Apple store have actually visited one.
    Apple is still playing the "switching" game... they gotta get people into the store to show them what's up.

Dude that would be awesome. Plus 1
  • Reply 43 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    uguysrnuts wrote: »
    How much longer lines and more fisticuffs over Apple products do we need? I for one am probably sold on Apple products for the rest of my life, and I can probably count the number of Apple sponsored ads I've with one hand. Apple products pretty much sell themselves.

I guess at least one more since I've never seen a line at an Apple Store for a newly released Mac. I'd like to see Apple in the top 5 vendors worldwide for PC sales.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

The Genius ads were aimed at a group of customer that needs a bit more hand holding, those new to Apple's way of doing stuff. Although not a bad idea to target this group I found these ads reminded me of those sitcoms that are used to replace cancelled tv shows, corny as hell with all to eager to "act" characters. Apple pulled them for whatever reason is true I sure wont miss them. 

• Reply 45 of 65
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    slurpy wrote: »
    Good ad. Focus on the product, where it should be. I still think the iPad 2 ads were the best. They were just so incredibly powerful. 

Like these:

http://youtu.be/qSRPWWSeJww
    http://youtu.be/yruVADqslk4

I prefer those adverts as they focus strongly on the human element. In many ways the genius ads try to do this but the scenarios they depict are too contrived. I also don't think the label of genius attached to someone so young goes over very well, especially when they are being asked to help with iPhoto.

From here on, I think it's going to be difficult for Apple to advertise their new products because they won't have a significant departure from the old models and there are only so many ways you can portray the usage scenarios.

I thought they got a lot of mileage out of the Get A Mac ads and the vast majority of them were funny. They will have some new material too with Windows 8 and PC manufacturers trying to make products that look exactly like Apple's but it would eventually look like it's covering old ground.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I happened to be in an Apple store last week.  It was a Tuesday, 10:45AM, and the place was utterly packed.  

There was a little roped-off area where 12-15 kids - I dunno, 8 to 10 years old, were in some sort of class, making their own storybooks and/or movies, with soundtracks, etc.

Other informal groups were huddled around different hardware, being shown how simple it was to accomplish things...

I would think that showing that sort of fascinated crowd and fascinating ambience would be pretty seductive, avoiding, of course, the intimidation of it appearing too crowded to get attention (and everyone was getting that attention, but you might have to be in the middle of it to realize it).

And I was right on the verge of learning something too...but, it turns out, I'm not 8. ;-)

Your post reminds me of a time I was in an Apple Store about six months ago waiting for a Genius appointment for my iPhone. The store was pretty crowded and I just looked around at people for a bit. What struck me was that no one seemed to be "waiting". They weren't waiting for service. They weren't waiting for others. Everyone was actively engaged in some way inside the store. I even watched while a guy with, my guess, his mom was being given a new iPad still in the box. He opened it while they stood there and just started smiling when he held it, showing it off to the woman he was with. You're right. That's the ad for the retail experience.

• Reply 47 of 65
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    The title of this is misleading at best. Apple has always promoted the iPod and Mac in drastically different ways. This is more of that tradition. Apple hasn't ditched anything. Also, only people who have found the genius ads "<span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">controversial" are tech pundits and geeks.  We know from the last controversy of igate their opinions really have no impact with the masses. They do drive web hits however.

I couldn't agree more on both parts. This article is such BS my gut thought is that DaHarder and crew wrote it.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    boredumb wrote: »
    I happened to be in an Apple store last week.  It was a Tuesday, 10:45AM, and the place was utterly packed.  
    There was a little roped-off area where 12-15 kids - I dunno, 8 to 10 years old, were in some sort of class, making their own storybooks and/or movies, with soundtracks, etc.

What you saw was Apple Camp. They have been doing it for awhile. Microsoft started copying it in their stores last year.

My brothers, nieces and nephews have been doing for years. My brothers actually come visit me in LA based on when I can get them into Camp cause they don't have an Apple store at home. Last week was Camp on Monday and Tuesday, Disneyland and CA adventures on Weds/thurs. universal on Friday, Camp on Saturday. They loved it
  • Reply 49 of 65

Whew. Back to decent.

• Reply 50 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see Apple in the top 5 vendors worldwide for PC sales.

If the iPad is included, Apple surely would, no?

• Reply 51 of 65
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If the iPad is included, Apple surely would, no?

If the iPad is to be included then I expect Apple to be #1. :D However, just looking at Macs compared to other traditional PCs I think the Mac has a lot of room to grow. Adding the HW, the service, and what I think Win8 will make customers feel I do think Apple needs a campaign this Autumn that will focus heavily on why customers should buy a Mac for their next [traditional] PC purchase.

PS: Really, AI? Still no emoticons? Either add these little GIF images or remove the parsing from the Huddler code. It just makes the site look very sloppy.
  • Reply 52 of 65
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

PS: Really, AI? Still no emoticons? Either add these little GIF images or remove the parsing from the Huddler code. It just makes the site look very sloppy.

We'd love to, but Huddler's in charge of the code.

• Reply 53 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Good points... although I don't think the Apple reps at Best Buy will teach you how to use iMovie :-)

I just wish the Mac commercials would actually SHOW someone using a Mac. For years all we've had are 2 guys standing in a white space... and now a Genius who apparently makes housecalls.

My idea about showing an Apple Store could include a Genius sitting with a customer who is learning how to use their Mac. I bet most people don't even know Apple makes one-on-one training available.

If you're in the market for a new computer... knowing you can have access to a Genius for training might be the thing that makes you choose a Mac instead of a Dell or HP computer.

I agree. The recent "genius" ads were hard to watch because they were so contrived.

I always liked the the little video vignettes of kids jumping into a lake or traveling around that Apple would play during the iMovie presentation at the Keynotes. That's what I would do....younger gen is all about video, photos, music and Facebook. I guess! Show video being taken on the iPhone and then edited on a mba or iPad. The video on the iPhone is actually very good...if taken outdoors on a sunny day.

• Reply 54 of 65
    jragosta wrote: »
    . However, I'm not sure that showing the inside of a store is the way to go. The message is that 'we're here to help' and probably is intended to include other retailers (such as the Apple reps at Best Buy stores). Showing the Apple store limits that.

No it was all about Apple. That's why he was in the Apple only blue shirt. They are advertising their services. Apple Store services.

Rumor has it they are finding that just as many folks are making appointments to ask questions so they are moving to having Geniuses to both tech and training. Apparently this has been going on or a while so that aspect of the ads isn't totally erroneous.

A title card at the end to drive home that this kind of help is only at the Apple
    Stores would probably be more effective than showing the inside of a store. Especially they will never show them as the crowded, noisy mess that they typically are, which will piss off Apple customers who know the truth as much as Mac Guy does.

Speaking of Mac Guy, he's up on the meme sites. This I think is my fav (check out what his hand appears to be doing. Lol) http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3qdl3v/
  • Reply 55 of 65
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If not the Genius ads they need some Mac focused campaign to take advantage of the Win shit storm up ahead.

Which shit storm is that? The Surface? Something tells me that like the Fire it will pick up same of the haters and the hesitant but Apples sales will not drop anymore that typical for 'we think something new is coming any day' type stuff.

And when you have word of mouth, schools requiring kids to have iPads etc they get press without sending a dime. People are more likely to believe their friends than ads they know are generally less than 100% truth
  • Reply 56 of 65
    jd001 wrote: »
    Nice commercial........ Which TV is featured in the 'movie night portion'?...Hm

Put your wallet back in your pants because no. They didn't and wouldn't.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member

Quote:

If not the Genius ads they need some Mac focused campaign to take advantage of the Win shit storm up ahead. Apple will have more Retina Macs in the next year and they all these stores that will help users in ways WinPC users can't imagine. They need to take advantage of it with some campaign.

I don't know about the Retina Macs but I think Apple can seriously capitalize on Windows 8.  In some ways, OSX may feel more familiar than Windows 8 will, especially to the growing number of users with an iPad or iPhone.  That is EXACTLY the niche they should target.  Go after the iPhone/iPad users that are still on Windows and make the case that the iPad and iPhone are better when you have a Mac, and show how the look and feel is similar to what you have grown to love on those devices.  

People will be annoyed by Windows 8, and Apple should set itself up to be the hero.

• Reply 58 of 65
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what made-up standards are those? The ones that brought us "Lemmings" and "Ellen Feiss"?

TS, really? Hating on Ellen Feiss? Everyone loved Ellen.

• Reply 59 of 65
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And what made-up standards are those? The ones that brought us "Lemmings" and "Ellen Feiss"?

Yeah as long as they're away from those awful obnoxious genius ads (wondering the identity of the genius who thought they were a good idea) it's an improvement. I like things that focus on what they're selling, as they have the potential to actually be informative.

Quote:

I think they could still polish it up. Microsoft probably cannot afford another Vista.

• Reply 60 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Apple's new ad marks a switch back to the simple, product-oriented commercials seen before the controversial "Genius" campaign launched during NBC's Olympic coverage.

This post makes no sense. All iPad ads have been like this. AI has jumped the shark.