Half of the TV audience mistook Samsung Galaxy Tab for iPad in ads

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    champchamp Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I was kidding dude. No need to get twisted about it.

Ya me to. 

That experience made me into a much more savvy tech consumer and I would never mistake a Samsung phone for an iphone. I've held both side by side and there's is no comparison. Samsung makes crap IMHO. My 5 year old Samsung plasma has been repaired twice. Thank god I bought the extended warranty! I didn't buy one for my Samcrap surround sound though. Only lasted  a year and a half. Never again. My apple stuff....never a problem. 

I know a lot of people that would be fooled by tech companies like Samsung because there tech IQ is horrible. Shame on Samsung for taking advantage.

• Reply 102 of 162
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    champ wrote: »
    Ya me to. 
    That experience made me into a much more savvy tech consumer and I would never mistake a Samsung phone for an iphone. I've held both side by side and there's is no comparison. Samsung makes crap IMHO. My 5 year old Samsung plasma has been repaired twice. Thank god I bought the extended warranty! I didn't buy one for my Samcrap surround sound though. Only lasted  a year and a half. Never again. My apple stuff....never a problem. 

I know a lot of people that would be fooled by tech companies like Samsung because there tech IQ is horrible. Shame on Samsung for taking advantage.

That's funny because I also have a 5 yr old Samsung plasma that's been aces to me and I swear by it. I've always been lucky with consumer electronics now that I think of it.
  • Reply 103 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mugzy wrote: »

I expect this happens a lot as iPhone and iPad become generic terms like Kleenex..

With the general public perhaps. But any paper, blog etc will never make that error out of fear of a lawsuit
  • Reply 104 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Me too. And I'm not kidding. It's only until you realize that Apple ads are usually done against white backdrops that you realize that this ad probably isn't selling the real iPad.

Black is the new white.

Plus you can't use a white backdrop after Labor Day.
  • Reply 105 of 162
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Lots of people call every mp3 player an iPod. People are dumb. 

And lots of people also call every music file an MP3.

And they buy "CDs" from the iTunes store. (as opposed to albums)

• Reply 106 of 162
    champchamp Posts: 39member

Quote:

That's funny because I also have a 5 yr old Samsung plasma that's been aces to me and I swear by it. I've always been lucky with consumer electronics now that I think of it.

I don't believe you. Not convincing at all. Are you on Samsung's legal team by chance?

Just messing with you! Have a good night!

• Reply 107 of 162
    Apple had over a year of mindshare before the first credible tablet competitor came out.

Shortly after the iPad announcement in January 2010... the commercials started playing. By April 2010, lots of people were talking about the iPad... and you could even go touch one in stores.

By them time the Xoom came out the next year... people already had the iPad on their mind.

And I think it continues today.
  • Reply 108 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Remember 50% of the population have an IQ <100. It's pretty good that the number is not worse!

So maybe there's hope for Samsung after all. image

• Reply 109 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

I never really used to think that Samsung copied Apple much...until I saw this picture on someone's Facebook...

At first I was like 'what's up with her iPad?' - then...well...

That's OK. Four out of Five Samsung lawyers can't tell that apart from a genuine iPad either. No shame in it, really. You're not dumb.

• Reply 110 of 162

it just means that our american public on the most part are basically morons  if you cant tell the difference between an ipad and a galaxy tab  neither one is really going to help you much

• Reply 111 of 162
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    tom martin wrote: »
    it just means that our american public on the most part are basically morons  if you cant tell the difference between an ipad and a galaxy tab  neither one is really going to help you much

Might help you learn grammar and punctuation. Just a thought.
  • Reply 112 of 162
    at first I was like what's up with your ipad... it looks different
  • Reply 113 of 162
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

How about a nickname for Richard? And if you don't know what it is then it's Dick.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Reply 114 of 162
    macarenamacarena Posts: 365member

Why Samsung will lose this one...

Samsung is not fighting the real battle at all. They are not claiming that they did not copy Apple's designs, they are not claiming that even if there is any similarity in the designs, it is purely coincidental. On the contrary, there is enough evidence from Samsung's own internal records that they actively compared the evolving design of the Galaxy S against the iPhone and wherever they found "issues", it was asked that the design be more like the Apple design. This is all documented and accepted in evidence - Samsung is not even contesting these points.

What they are contesting is -

- We cannot do anything else, except make devices this way - this is the obvious design. Quite obviously this is false, because there are other companies that have made tablets and phones with enough distinguishing marks that customers do not get confused. Even Samsung's own later models are easily distinguishable from Apple's products.

- Apple also copied the design from Sony. Apple commissioned a design from its own engineers, and never released a product with that design to the market, in an attempt to understand how Sony would have designed the iPhone, if it designed the iPhone. Samsung is stretching this to say that Apple itself has copied the design from Sony. Quite obviously this is a massive stretch - because Sony never released a product in the market with that design, and neither did Apple. And in any case, even that Sony design is quite distinguishable from Apple's eventual design. What flights of fancy Apple chooses to engage in, with its own employees, and at its own cost has no relevance to this case, as long as the products never see the light of the day.

- There is prior art in movies, and science fiction, so Apple's design patents are invalid. The problem with this, is that we are not talking about a patented idea, but a patented design. Even if the same product is shown in the movie, chances are that the design of the product would be different in significant ways. Trade dress is a very specific thing - it is about specific design elements, and also the overall contribution those design elements make to the final look of the product. Just because some tablet was shown in 2001 - A Space Odyssey, does not mean that it had the same design as Apple's tablet, and Apple's trade dress is invalid.

- This design is about rectangles and rounded corners, which Apple cannot claim to own. Even if Samsung wants to dilute Apple's trade dress to just be about Rectangles and Rounded corners, that does not mean that the jury will accept that. There are several other aspects to trade dress, like the bezel, chrome, positioning of buttons, packaging, size and appearance of other accessories like the charger, etc. And more importantly, Apple is not going after other devices which are rectangular with rounded corners.

On top of not fighting the real issues, and bringing up totally invalid and irrelevant issues, Samsung is also damaging its case big time by several stupid actions.

- Destroying evidence. This is a big issue, and the law is very clear on this subject. For a major corporation to have such a short email retention policy is stupid to say the least. And that too at a time when there are dozens of mail providers offering 5GB and more in free space! The law is also equally clear that in case evidence is destroyed, for whatever reasons, that evidence will be treated as if it is against the interest of the party destroying the evidence.

- Disobeying direct judge orders. This is another massive problem. I can only think that Samsung is doing this because it knows it is going to lose, and it wants to create some public opinion in their favor that they did not lose because of the facts of the case, but lost only because of bias against Samsung. And to probably create grounds for an appeal.

- Delaying and missing important deadlines. Once again, for a seasoned legal team to slip up in such ways is quite amazing. I can only think that this is part of an intentional ploy to create the impression that the judge, jury and public are biased against Samsung, and it is no wonder Samsung lost this case. Considering the facts of this case, I would not be surprised if Samsung loses, and appeals, and does pretty much the same thing during the appeals as well. I think Samsung knows it is going to lose, but probably think that they will not be much worse off even if they lose in court. They guess that even if they lose in court, what they have to pay to Apple will probably be less that what Apple is asking of them today. And they might get away with paying Apple, and might still be able to continue making phones and tablets.

Considering the way in which Samsung is fighting this case, I think it is very obvious that they expect to lose. And they will lose. The only question is, what will be damages be. Apple is asking for $2.5 Billion. Even if this number is lowered to say $1.5 Billion, I think the overall loss for Samsung would be a lot higher - there is a very high probability that Samsung could face triple damages for willful infringement. And they could be forced to pay Apple for future products as well.

Apple spends about $8-9 Billion a year in Samsung products, and is actively trying to reduce their exposure to Samsung. I would not be surprised if the overall impact of this lawsuit is such that Apple effectively gets a whole year of supply from Samsung for free!

And the impact on Android could be even bigger. If Samsung, with all its IP, all its profits, and its supplier relationship with Apple cannot get away with what it is doing, what hope is there for the other Android licensees - especially companies that are struggling to make profits and increase sales?

• Reply 115 of 162
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    But Apple copied from Goocrosoft! So therefore half of the TV audience mistook the iPad ads for Galaxy Tab ads... /s
  • Reply 116 of 162
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    The Best Post of 2012.

It will be amazing to see Samsung really get nailed to the wall for this kind of nonsensical behaviour. And put some real heat on Goocrosoft for their "Do Lots Of Evil Like Microsoft" ways.

The behaviour of Samsung and Google has no place in civilised society.
    macarena wrote: »
    Why Samsung will lose this one...

Samsung is not fighting the real battle at all. They are not claiming that they did not copy Apple's designs, they are not claiming that even if there is any similarity in the designs, it is purely coincidental. On the contrary, there is enough evidence from Samsung's own internal records that they actively compared the evolving design of the Galaxy S against the iPhone and wherever they found "issues", it was asked that the design be more like the Apple design. This is all documented and accepted in evidence - Samsung is not even contesting these points.

What they are contesting is -

- We cannot do anything else, except make devices this way - this is the obvious design. Quite obviously this is false, because there are other companies that have made tablets and phones with enough distinguishing marks that customers do not get confused. Even Samsung's own later models are easily distinguishable from Apple's products.

- Apple also copied the design from Sony. Apple commissioned a design from its own engineers, and never released a product with that design to the market, in an attempt to understand how Sony would have designed the iPhone, if it designed the iPhone. Samsung is stretching this to say that Apple itself has copied the design from Sony. Quite obviously this is a massive stretch - because Sony never released a product in the market with that design, and neither did Apple. And in any case, even that Sony design is quite distinguishable from Apple's eventual design. What flights of fancy Apple chooses to engage in, with its own employees, and at its own cost has no relevance to this case, as long as the products never see the light of the day.

- There is prior art in movies, and science fiction, so Apple's design patents are invalid. The problem with this, is that we are not talking about a patented idea, but a patented design. Even if the same product is shown in the movie, chances are that the design of the product would be different in significant ways. Trade dress is a very specific thing - it is about specific design elements, and also the overall contribution those design elements make to the final look of the product. Just because some tablet was shown in 2001 - A Space Odyssey, does not mean that it had the same design as Apple's tablet, and Apple's trade dress is invalid.

- This design is about rectangles and rounded corners, which Apple cannot claim to own. Even if Samsung wants to dilute Apple's trade dress to just be about Rectangles and Rounded corners, that does not mean that the jury will accept that. There are several other aspects to trade dress, like the bezel, chrome, positioning of buttons, packaging, size and appearance of other accessories like the charger, etc. And more importantly, Apple is not going after other devices which are rectangular with rounded corners.

On top of not fighting the real issues, and bringing up totally invalid and irrelevant issues, Samsung is also damaging its case big time by several stupid actions.

- Destroying evidence. This is a big issue, and the law is very clear on this subject. For a major corporation to have such a short email retention policy is stupid to say the least. And that too at a time when there are dozens of mail providers offering 5GB and more in free space! The law is also equally clear that in case evidence is destroyed, for whatever reasons, that evidence will be treated as if it is against the interest of the party destroying the evidence.

- Disobeying direct judge orders. This is another massive problem. I can only think that Samsung is doing this because it knows it is going to lose, and it wants to create some public opinion in their favor that they did not lose because of the facts of the case, but lost only because of bias against Samsung. And to probably create grounds for an appeal.

- Delaying and missing important deadlines. Once again, for a seasoned legal team to slip up in such ways is quite amazing. I can only think that this is part of an intentional ploy to create the impression that the judge, jury and public are biased against Samsung, and it is no wonder Samsung lost this case. Considering the facts of this case, I would not be surprised if Samsung loses, and appeals, and does pretty much the same thing during the appeals as well. I think Samsung knows it is going to lose, but probably think that they will not be much worse off even if they lose in court. They guess that even if they lose in court, what they have to pay to Apple will probably be less that what Apple is asking of them today. And they might get away with paying Apple, and might still be able to continue making phones and tablets.

Considering the way in which Samsung is fighting this case, I think it is very obvious that they expect to lose. And they will lose. The only question is, what will be damages be. Apple is asking for $2.5 Billion. Even if this number is lowered to say $1.5 Billion, I think the overall loss for Samsung would be a lot higher - there is a very high probability that Samsung could face triple damages for willful infringement. And they could be forced to pay Apple for future products as well.

Apple spends about $8-9 Billion a year in Samsung products, and is actively trying to reduce their exposure to Samsung. I would not be surprised if the overall impact of this lawsuit is such that Apple effectively gets a whole year of supply from Samsung for free!

And the impact on Android could be even bigger. If Samsung, with all its IP, all its profits, and its supplier relationship with Apple cannot get away with what it is doing, what hope is there for the other Android licensees - especially companies that are struggling to make profits and increase sales?
  • Reply 117 of 162
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not everyone is into technology as we are.

Thank you. Some of the posts in here are incredibly condescending. In the real world there are many people who don't know - and/or don't care - about consumer technology. The idea that someone is stupid because they don't know what an iPad is is just arrogant and insulting.

fazzter wrote: »
    Stupid people shouldn't own an iPad anyway.....so no biggie.

See what I mean?

Stupid people should post in internet forums, either.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    Maybe you should change your name to something less...suggestive. How about "Peter"?
  • Reply 119 of 162
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    muppetry wrote: »
    I don't believe in evolution. I think the evidence for it is overwhelming, but belief plays no part in the scientific process. Sorry - just being pedantic.

belief |bi?l?f|
    noun
    1 an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists:
  • Reply 120 of 162
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Are you telling me 35% of consumers don't know what an iPad is and who makes it? What dark bottomless cave are these people living in?

Bottomless cave? (Said in the voice of Sheldon Cooper with that look lol.)