Apple takes nearly one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

1/2 gb ram? It is still the fastest running smartphone on geek bench- better than the S3. So what if it had 2gb, but was slower- would that be better?

Tiny screen- ok. This will likely change.

NFC- what does that help with currently? Google wallet sucks. It's actually awful.

Sd/USB storage- what phone had that at all anymore?

Small non-removable battery- again what phone has that now? And when it runs 8 hours (as opposed to the competition's 4 hrs)- they need an extra battery.

Lte will also be coming- but didn't want to be introduced until infrastructure and battery friendly chips were out (which just came out)- hence the 8 hr battery life behind such a "tiny" screen.

Apple will bring stuff out and introduce it to their phone when it's going to be best received. I think the bigger screen could have come last year- but that's it. Everything else could've and shouldve waited. Companies like google who rush google wallet out can claim "they had it first"- but it sucks. The technology wasn't there- the vendors werent on board- the programming was clunky- the security measures weren't in place- etc. that's why it wasn't well received. I'd love for apple to bring it out with this next iPhone- but if they decide to wait until 2013, so they can add fingerprint technology as a security feature while using the app- fine by me- that's smart.

Being first isn't always best- we've witnessed that. Being finished and polished is best.

Ram is about how much can be loaded at any given time. Phones are pretty reliant on this given their lack of ability to use free space as virtual memory. My guess would be that "true multitasking" would be a massive battery drain. Microsoft also commented on ram in mobile devices a while ago, citing an issue of battery life due to the volatile nature of ram. Anyway the original ipad was quite low on ram, and this was somewhat of a limiting factor. Trying to say ram equates to geekbench scores is just ridiculous, and I'm convinced you already know the two are unrelated as long as the calculations geekbench performs fit properly within ram.

• Reply 42 of 68

Honestly, how are people multi-tasking on their phones? I mean, I stream music while downloading an app and loading a webpage at the same time, but the bottleneck for those activities seem to be bandwidth not RAM. So are there phones that have multiple windows open on screen? What realistic multi-tasking is taking place on phones that makes RAM so much of a factor? Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

Maybe many multiple browser tabs preloaded into RAM is the only thing I can think of where I'd need more. And most of the time I want the webpages to refresh and be up to date anyway.

Please someone enlighten me.

(I'm definitely not arguing against adding more RAM, but saying the iPhone has too little compared to Android phones is like saying I need a Core i7 CPU so I can browse Facebook and send emails.)

• Reply 43 of 68
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Don't forget lying about how good they are, then rejoicing when an update fixes something the liars claimed wasn't broken in the first place.

I disagree with almost every one of the posts you have written so far, but I do agree with this one. Which is cool. We can agree to disagree.

However I will take a stance if you direct this towards certain open minded people on here who have time and again shown your statement to be false.

The majority though... Not so much.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    Honestly, how are people multi-tasking on their phones? I mean, I stream music while downloading an app and loading a webpage at the same time, but the bottleneck for those activities seem to be bandwidth not RAM. So are there phones that have multiple windows open on screen? What realistic multi-tasking is taking place on phones that makes RAM so much of a factor? Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

Maybe many multiple browser tabs preloaded into RAM is the only thing I can think of where I'd need more. And most of the time I want the webpages to refresh and be up to date anyway.

(I'm definitely not arguing against adding more RAM, but saying the iPhone has too little compared to Android phones is like saying I need a Core i7 CPU so I can browse Facebook and send emails.)

After reading many of your (recent) posts you are definitely objective, well thought, and other than Sol, you seem to have an uncanny sense of common sense.

I really look forward to reading your posts. Almost as much as Sol's.

Thank you! You enlighten me. Enlightenment is the greatest gift that can be given.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Maybe I live too deep in the iPhone world to understand what folks in the Android camp are doing with their phones.

They Root it. It's become a nerd pick up line. A guy sees you using your iPhone and makes a stupid remark like "You know that phone's broken right?". When you tell them it works just fine, they (usually after a few drinks) have to show you their phone, and why the iPhone (read: my phone) is broken.

Usually they have a star wars robot sound on there or a star track robot sound or something.

Let me know if you really want to hear what those guys pitch.

The coolest thing... I don't tell them I know anything about tech, or read anything on this site. (usuallly i never wanted to talk to them). It's funny from my point of view. Maybe I'm being deceiving, but I love when guys try to one up me on tech and I love playing stupid!

I can imagine the heat ill get from that last sentence.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Yes, I probably should, my daughter is using the 4S. I paid $700+ for it with tax. The marketing hype and status symbol got her, she wanted one badly, what can I do? :)  But for kids it's a good toy phone.

I used to own the iPhone 3G three year ago when it was more competitive. Now Apple lost its touch. Apple became cocky, lazy and stagnant. 

Absolute hogwash…  "lost its touch"… "cocky, lazy, stagnant"…  why, because it doesn't have a '4.8" slab screen' on a mobile phone?

And the kicker, 'a good toy phone'… that's the most ridiculous, disingenuous "politicized" statement I've heard yet. 

How has it gone from "cutting edge" to "toy" in 3 years? As if the OS has not evolved, nor the feature set of the phone? Last I saw, the market is embracing it fully… it's the top selling phone of ALL TIME… oh, yeah, must be the "hype"… it couldn't POSSIBLY be that it offers something more than your weak opinion of it...

Did you get a job at Samsung or another competitor maybe? This is just beyond silly...

• Reply 47 of 68
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The minute someone throws out sweatshop I ignore anything they have to say. Pure trolling.

And besides a big-ass screen what does Galaxy S III have that's so revolutionary? Widgets? Oh and if you want to talk about marketing and hype, the S III has had some of the biggest marketing and hype of any phone ever. Every other commercial on NBC these past two weeks has been for the S III or AT&T (with someone using the S III).
  • Reply 48 of 68
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Nope. the top selling phone of all time is a dumb phone called NOKIA 1100, released in 2003, with about 250 million sold, not just shipped, as people at AI love to repeat rather incessantly. Infact, Iphone, with all its iterations, can manage perhaps around 125 million sold up until now, still less than the Nokia 1100 younger sibling's, the Nokia 1110, total of 150 million. 

Yes, I will let it slide only when you are saying "the top selling smartphone of all time" instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

How has it gone from "cutting edge" to "toy" in 3 years? As if the OS has not evolved, nor the feature set of the phone? Last I saw, the market is embracing it fully… it's the top selling phone of ALL TIME… oh, yeah, must be the "hype"… it couldn't POSSIBLY be that it offers something more than your weak opinion of it...

• Reply 49 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pooch wrote: »
    interesting stories:
    appleinsider reports "Apple takes over one-third U.S. smartphone marketshare, tops Samsung "
    while pretty much at the same time, cnn runs a story about an IDC report where "Android races past Apple in smartphone market share" ... stating "More specifically, IDC pegged Android's gain "directly" to Samsung, "

gwmac wrote: »
    CNN ran quit a different story today. Android Races Past Apple in Smartphone Market which in a nutshell said "G<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:19px;">oogle's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times more than the 17% market share held by </span>
    <span style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-size:14px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:19px;">Apple</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:19px;"> </span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:19px;">, according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC."</span>

Before anyone even starts to play market share games, they need to define terms. The first article above is specifically smart phones. The second appears to be comparing total Android sales to total iOS sales (although they do use the term 'smart phone', the text indicates that they're actually measuring total Android sales).

Since many Android phones are feature phones and many others are not-so-smart phones, both articles can be correct.

Frankly, I couldn't care less one way or the other. I chose the best phone for me and have been disgusted with the performance of every Android phone I've ever used. if others are happy with their Android phones, it has no effect on me.
  • Reply 50 of 68
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Actually, if you join the thread rather late, such as what you are doing, you have the luxury to read some intelligent and not-so intelligent posts, and you'd also find out indirectly what SGS III has that Iphone 4S doesn't. Some of these features will probably be rendered moot by the "new" Iphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The minute someone throws out sweatshop I ignore anything they have to say. Pure trolling.

And besides a big-ass screen what does Galaxy S III have that's so revolutionary? Widgets? Oh and if you want to talk about marketing and hype, the S III has had some of the biggest marketing and hype of any phone ever. Every other commercial on NBC these past two weeks has been for the S III or AT&T (with someone using the S III).

Your question is partially answered by Mercury99 post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Even though I own 2 Macs and 2 iPads, to me the iPhone is a low end mass market smartphone: 1/2 GB [i.e. more] RAM, tiny screen, no AMOLED, no NFC, no SD, no LTE, no USB storage, small non-removable [i.e. removable] battery, assembled in sweat shops...

I will also add an excellent battery life for a 4G LTE phone.

• Reply 51 of 68
    nuestnuest Posts: 2member

Haha! isheep jerking off to this "news"...

• Reply 52 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Nope. the top selling phone of all time is a dumb phone called NOKIA 1100, released in 2003, with about 250 million sold, not just shipped, as people at AI love to repeat rather incessantly. Infact, Iphone, with all its iterations, can manage perhaps around 125 million sold up until now, still less than the Nokia 1100 younger sibling's, the Nokia 1110, total of 150 million. 

Yes, I will let it slide only when you are saying "the top selling smartphone of all time" instead.

Which one? The one with b&w screen, radio and a torchlight?

I have it with me Samsung 1080e, has a colour screen but probably the same thing.

• Reply 53 of 68
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I disagree. That was a pitiful attempt. We are usually used to a better class of...shall we say people who bend the truth...here in the forum. Usually when you make a post you don't put evidence that disproves your post in the same post. At least make us check your previous posts in incongruencies. If your not going to try, it's really not any fun.

Well, it was a little fun, to read, at least.

• Reply 54 of 68
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Well when trojans set up email servers in the background for sending out spam, they need Android with plenty of RAM.

• Reply 55 of 68
    campercamper Posts: 30member
    I have to wonder what percentage of the TV audience would see a flat piece of cardboard in someone's hand and think it to be an iPad?

In the eyes of most, tablet = iPad, just like facial tissue = Kleenex.

So what's the point of this headline?
  • Reply 56 of 68
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    camper wrote: »
    I have to wonder what percentage of the TV audience would see a flat piece of cardboard in someone's hand and think it to be an iPad? In the eyes of most, tablet = iPad, just like facial tissue = Kleenex. So what's the point of this headline?

I think you may be in the wrong thread.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member

@ Quatra610.

"Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful."  

Sir, I had a Quatra 610, and you sir are NO Quatra 610.   PS, I think you are so totally wrong.  Maybe you should buy HTC stock. LOL

• Reply 58 of 68
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    eldernorm wrote: »
    @ Quatra610.

"<span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful.</span>
    <span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">"  </span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">Sir, I had a Quatra 610, and you sir are NO Quatra 610.   PS, I think you are so totally wrong.  Maybe you should buy HTC stock. LOL</span>

And you may be arguing with the wrong person.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    eldernorm wrote: »
    @ Quatra610.

"<span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">Apple used the same strategy in the 80s and lost. No way they can continue to be successful.</span>
    <span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">"  </span>

<span style="background-color:rgb(226,225,225);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;">Sir, I had a Quatra 610, and you sir are NO Quatra 610.   PS, I think you are so totally wrong.  Maybe you should buy HTC stock. LOL</span>

Hint: Quadra was being sarcastic.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

image;

image;

there, I found Nielson's Q2 2012 data..  so that's 8% in Q2, 2011 to 17% in Q2, 2012 - that's still 100+% gain.  Apple's share increased from 28% in Q2, 2011 to 34% in Q2, 2012 - that is only 20+% gain.  Nielsen's numbers are ased on # of US mobile subscribers.

Yes, now you're getting there Tool.

Still not correct though!  Samsung's smartphone subscriber share for Q2 2011 was 10% not 8%. And 17.5% for Q2 2012.

Thanks for playing.