OS X Mountain Lion may be degrading battery life, test shows

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I have found it to slow down my machine considerably. Not all the time, but there are long pauses at times when everything seems to be running in molases. 

Mail seems to be part of it taking longer to do many tasks and inexplicably chewing up cpu usage.

Then there is the memory issue. I have to run Free Memory a LOT more often than before ( great utility - you should all have it) - and this brings the system to a halt.

Perhaps some of the power usage is do to thrashing.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Reset your PRAM.  I had the slowness on two of my systems and that fixed it.   

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 62 of 87
    When people, you included make these kind of claims about what you are and not going to do, do you really think it matters to people? 

I'm not responsible for people's prejudices, disinterest, or failure to appreciate my thoughts. But thanks for letting me know that you don't care. :lol:
  • Reply 63 of 87
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

So you're going to do the cool pics now?

Mountain Lion has unexpected issues! Film at 11!

• Reply 64 of 87

For a moderator your response is kind of stupid.

Windows is prevalent because its fairly stable and it works well.

US government uses it, hospitals use it, banks us it, engineering firms us it. Almost all US businesses use it regularly.

The only area where the Mac OS has more uses is in the design community.

In fact Windows 7 is significantly better than Windows XP and it runs very well on old hardware.

I have Win 7 installed on a 5 year old T60 Thinkpad, and i think it will run fine for at least 2 more years.

It made the screen text on my T60 look even better.

Give me a brake. I love Apple, but some of you guys need to wake up and talk a walk outside and see how the business world operates.

I'm not saying OX 10 is bad or what ever. I have one Mac PC and I love it, and plan on getting another one next year, but you need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Good grief!

• Reply 65 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

For a moderator your response is kind of stupid.

You gotta quote stuff in the future. Fortunately I recognized this worthless response since I get it all the time. Funny how so many people don't understand not to use ad-homs. 

Windows is prevalent because its fairly stable and it works well.

Neither statement is true.

In fact Windows 7 is significantly better than Windows XP and it runs very well on old hardware.

But that's absolutely true. And yet nearly half of everyone still uses XP…

Give me a brake. I love Apple, but some of you guys need to wake up and talk a walk outside and see how the business world operates.

And the business world needs to wake up, take a walk outside, and see how much better their lives could be.

Or maybe you think they welcome the idea of Windows 8. NO ONE likes what Microsoft is doing with that.

Good grief!

???????????

• Reply 66 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You gotta quote stuff in the future. Fortunately I recognized this worthless response since I get it all the time. Funny how so many people don't understand not to use ad-homs. 

Neither statement is true.

But that's absolutely true. And yet nearly half of everyone still uses XP…

And the business world needs to wake up, take a walk outside, and see how much better their lives could be.

Or maybe you think they welcome the idea of Windows 8. NO ONE likes what Microsoft is doing with that.

???????????

Mr. Moderator, you need to take a vacation and get some rest.

Why can't you admit the truth? Windows works well. Its not perfect. No OS is perfect. But if it was unstable and unreliable, the IT community would have seeked other options many years ago.

So every major business including our government uses Windows- even NASA uses windows computers to launch the space ships! Some how in your mind 95 percent of all US business don't have it right. Look Apples big move upward has nothing to do with their computers. I would venture to guess their computers sales represent less than 10 percent of their revenue. Apple is big because of the iphone and the ipad. Not because of OS X. Maybe if things work well they can use their tablets as an avenue into the business world. If that succeeds then Apple could gain some ground in the business world. I could see that happening by 2015. Until then Windows will dominate.

Cheers! Enjoy your vacation.

• Reply 67 of 87

But if it was unstable and unreliable, the IT community would have seeked other options many years ago.

Nope, what I said before stands: it has marketshare because it has marketshare. There were no other options in the late '80s and through the '90s; people had to use Windows. It exists now only because of the cost of replacing every machine in a building/company. It will stop being used when that price outweighs the utility of keeping Windows around, which is something that could happen quite soon. 

Picture this: Windows 8 changes everything (it does). Companies don't upgrade from Windows 7 (they won't). Microsoft therefore keeps supporting Windows 7 for another decade (they will). Eventually Windows 7 becomes too old to bother using (like Rosetta), so companies finally look for non-Windows options because they don't like what Windows has become. By this time, Apple will have moved to a multitouch desktop OS, and we'll have the same thing we saw in '84 happen again.

…even NASA uses windows computers to launch the space ships! 

Just not to Mars, I guess.

Some how in your mind 95 percent of all US business don't have it right.

Maybe that was true in '99, but you're trying to tell me that a decade-old figure for worldwide marketshare is also the exact same situation in the modern business-only market of the country most responsible for Apple's adoption. 

Look Apples big move upward has nothing to do with their computers.

And yet they've received a windfall gain from the push.

I would venture to guess their computers sales represent less than 10 percent of their revenue.

That sounds about right, though I don't remember the actual numbers.

Apple is big because of the iphone and the ipad. Not because of OS X. Maybe if things work well they can use their tablets as an avenue into the business world. If that succeeds then Apple could gain some ground in the business world.

So people will abandon Windows for Apple handhelds, and then Apple computers. Just like what I said, because we're already seeing it happen in every industry imaginable. 

Enjoy your vacation.

You seem to already be on one from reality.
  • Reply 68 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The other problem with the Apple Support Forums is the nature of the messages. Let's say that there are 5,000 messages on a particular problem. Of those:

500 are messages from people who experienced the problem (but see below *)

3,000 are from people who don't have the problem

500 are from people calling the first group trolls

100 are from people trying to help the first group

900 are from people simply posting that Apple six

* Of the 500 messages from people who experienced the problem:

400 are from a group of 10 people who posted 40 times each. Of those 10, 8 of them screwed up their system with various hacks and only 2 have a real problem

50 are from people who see it as an opportunity to make Apple look bad so they simply pretend to have the problem

50 are from paid shills

So, out of millions of devices sold and 5,000 Apple Support messages, two people actually have a problem.

[citation needed]

• Reply 69 of 87

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

[citation needed]

You can basically extrapolate other Apple forums' content from ours, minus a large percentage of the real trolls on Apple's site because they just delete that crap dispassionately and plus an even larger percentage of trolls and minus a large percentage of genuine Apple users on MacRumors because for all their great rules, they're not enforced.

But anyway, yeah, I'd like a citation there, too.

• Reply 70 of 87

I was just in the NYC Apple store, if you want to see more than 2 people with real computer problems walk over to the Genus Bar and listen to all the dead computer stories.

• Reply 71 of 87

Mr Moderator, my company still uses XP on about 60 percent of their computers. Most businesses don't jump operating systems that quickly.

At my job, as each computer's lease expires, the new computer (mostly Dell Workstations) are being replaced with new computers with Windows 7 on it.

My firm never went to Visa because it performed so poorly.

I guess your right Windows 7 will be here for at least another 4 to 5 years and most big companies will stick with that for a long time.

But your wrong to think that Windows 8 is the end of the line for MS. If Win 8 is not received well by the business community, MS could release a business only type version that addresses the needs of business.

The only way Apple can get into corporate America in a major way is if they develop some software/hardware combo that uniquely helps businesses be more efficient and profitable.

Because unlike the federal government, for businesses to survive they need to make a profit. Until then they will be limited to replacing RIMM with the iphone and maybe in a more limited role with ipads.

Also, businesses use lots of desktops and Apple seems to have abandoned that market.

• Reply 72 of 87

Mr Moderator, my company still uses XP on about 60 percent of their computers. Most businesses don't jump operating systems that quickly.

Oh, sure; I understand that. They're always hesitant to switch to something new. Because it's Windows. The turnover rate for Mac businesses is way shorter. Not that they don't also wait, they just don't wait nearly as long.

But your wrong to think that Windows 8 is the end of the line for MS.

They themselves have said it could be their last OS if it doesn't sell well enough.

The only way Apple can get into corporate America in a major way is if they develop some software/hardware combo that uniquely helps businesses be more efficient and profitable.

It's called the Mac. Been around for a few decades. Studies for years have shown the cost of operation and maintenance is far less than Windows in identical scenarios, (therefore profits) and the OS itself allows for greater efficiency.

Also, businesses use lots of desktops and Apple seems to have abandoned that market.

Desktops will only see a resurgence as tablets destroy laptop sales.

• Reply 73 of 87
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member

MacBook 6,1 here.  Battery time fell off a cliff under ML.  1.5 - 2 hours less on a full charge.  

• Reply 74 of 87
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 706member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If I have any complaint it's that Mail seems sluggish. I've removed a lot of messages from IMAP which seems to have made it better but IMO this shouldn't be an issue with a local app with cached mail that isn't even open.

A couple things to consider:

1. Is your Mail still pulling down messages from the server(s)? This is common for IMAP and a fresh Mail account setup (i.e.: not an upgrade from Lion to ML).

2. Did you enable File Vault where as previously your drive wasn't encrypted. This security comes at the price of some reduced performance.

Mail takes a long time to clear unread flags, and is now responding to all messages with only one of my addresses, despite any way of configuring the reply-via settings.  Also always CCs me on every message I reply to.  This was not the case under Lion. 

• Reply 75 of 87
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member

Overall I've had great results with ML on my macs.  I have unfortunately noticed a serious battery drain on my macbook.  It spent the day sleeping on a desk in court and when I got to use it at about 4PM the battery was below 50%.  It was full when I left the house at 6AM, and it was used for approximately 15 minutes in the morning, with wifi.

On my 2007 iMac (2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo) the computer is noticeably more responsive than Lion was.  I have a problem with the graphics drivers (as do many with this model) and so have to install the 10.6.2 kext files for the ATi 2400 card.  Otherwise it's very snappy, and literally gave new life to this machine.  It was not a clean install btw, just an upgrade.

• Reply 76 of 87
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

My late-2008 MBP was getting about three hours of usage per charge.  With Mountain Lion, in standby (which used to last days), I'm getting about an hour.   So as far as I'm concerned, there's definitely something wrong.

In addition, after installing Mountain Lion, the computer would lockup and I had to reboot almost every day.  Felt like I was using a PC.    However, once quitting iTunes, it hasn't locked up since.    So there's something iTunes is doing that's causing the machine to lockup.

I usually never upgrade on the first release.   In fact, I never installed Lion at all.    I don't know what made me decide to install Mountain Lion now, but I should have waited at least until the first update.

I'm very disappointed in Apple over this release.    I don't understand how so many people can have so many very serious bugs if this was appropriately tested.   Obviously, either it wasn't or Apple chose to ignore the bug reports.

• Reply 77 of 87

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I'm very disappointed in Apple over this release.    I don't understand how so many people can have so many very serious bugs if this was appropriately tested.   Obviously, either it wasn't or Apple chose to ignore the bug reports.

Except it was, and they didn't. Everyone is "disappointed" after every single release. There's always a bug that affects 5%>X>1% of users that people whine about, and then Apple fixes it and people completely forget.

• Reply 78 of 87
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think they need to get like 5 of their best people and form some kind of battery life task force/surge. Because my iPad 3 battery life isn't wonderful either. And yet some of their previous gen hardware and software has been great in this area, they have just temporarily lost it, or maybe rested on their laurels a little and now starting to show.

• Reply 79 of 87
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    arthur123 wrote: »
    At my job, as each computer's lease expires, the new computer (mostly Dell Workstations) are being replaced with new computers with Windows 7 on it.
    My firm never went to Visa because it performed so poorly.
    I guess your right Windows 7 will be here for at least another 4 to 5 years and most big companies will stick with that for a long time.
    But your wrong to think that Windows 8 is the end of the line for MS. If Win 8 is not received well by the business community, MS could release a business only type version that addresses the needs of business.
    Because unlike the federal government, for businesses to survive they need to make a profit. Until then they will be limited to replacing RIMM with the iphone and maybe in a more limited role with ipads.
    Having worked in IT for a major enterprise for nearly 13 years I will say that there are a lot of things that prevent movement to any outside platform, be it Linux, OS X, or any other choice. The first thing is Active Directory. All of the enterprise security and authentication for internal Apps relies on it and there is a LOT of old stuff that would need to be completely rebuilt in order to be able to continue to function properly without it. If you have experience in any large IT you know that unless funding is very high, you will have a lot of old systems running many years after they have ceased to be a "viable platform". You also have a lot of entrenched managers that will continue a design decision because that is the way it is done and how it will continue to be done because it has always worked, even when the floor is beginning to fall out from under them. I am actually beginning to see a drift away from Windows but it is very slow so far. It appears to be gaining steam, and our MS TAM's are starting to be concerned with the trends they are seeing. It takes a long time to change a heavily entrenched system. Windows 7 appears to be the first step towards removing Microsoft. A hint, not having any of your administrative tools for the enterprise working under your flagship OS on launch does nothing to endear your clients to the new system. It has not been the resounding success MS hoped for. But it will likely not be the death knell, that may be reserved for Windows 8 if they have another Vista style failure...
  • Reply 80 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

OMG! Yes! I've been trying to get a few things straight, but multi monitor support just went "out the window" so to speak.

I filed a bug report with apple. Actually, three of them. Hopefully they fix this.

I read so many comments here on how mountain lion would be a fix on lion, just like snow leopard was one to leopard. Don't blame me folks. I took this from your comments.

....it's not a fix. Period.

I also wish the people posting on Apple Support Communities would just submit a bug report.

However, I haven't noticed any battery problems with my new retina Mac... Just saying.

(disclaimer: I'm too young for Leopard, so I actually LISTENED to your remarks.)

Compared to 10.7 release day 10.8 is dramatically better.  I would even beg to say it's nearly as stable as 10.7.4 in some ways & actually more so in others.

The specific bugs sound like hardware driver bugs & likely don't effect every user.  On the 4 machine types I've tested it on so far I'm not seeing any of these quirks but have seen a couple of other minor ones that are purely app based.

Considering my iMac is running way better on Mountain Lion than it was on 10.7.4 for me it's a huge win.  Mileage may vary but anyone saying it's a flop is an early adopter who's ticked they were too impatient to wait until release 10.8.1 before installing it on their production machine.  No offense but there hasn't been an OS in history that worked perfectly in it's first release and 10.6 was certainly no exception.  People who expect it will are really setting their expectations way to high.