OS X Mountain Lion may be degrading battery life, test shows

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Apple called me yesterday on this issue.   That really surprised me since there are hundreds, if not thousands of complaints on the Apple boards.    I spent about a half hour on the phone with the tech.   While I was on the phone with him for that time, my battery dropped from 98% to about 70%.    

While we didn't fix anything, we did create files to send back to Apple for further diagnosis.     

I must admit that I was impressed that they called.  Made me far less angry about the bugs in Mountain Lion.    I'm also having problems with lockups where the machine locks-up about once per day.   At one point, I thought the problem was iTunes and I kept it out of memory, but then after 2-3 days, it locked up again yesterday anyway.  No lockups today so far, although I haven't been on the computer much.

• Reply 82 of 87
    I think the new MacBook Airs should use the batteties from the radio on "Gilligan's Island" ....
  • Reply 83 of 87

I agree. My battery life on 2009 Macbook Pro is 2 hours less, on full charge. Maybe I should have stayed on Snow Leopard all along. I find it to be the absolute best Apple OS X. I only upgraded because of added security measures...

• Reply 84 of 87
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Uh, we'll NOT FOR ME, so I guess your entire article is misleading then.
  • Reply 85 of 87

Things happened on upgrade to Mountain Lion,

1) System startup went very slow

2) Single tap on the touch pad did not work until I do a click press, to select my profile

3) Overall system performance went slow

4) Most of the apps hangs

5) Battery drains like any other Windows laptop

6) Dictation did not work

Overall, I forget that is it a Macbook Pro 7,1.  Mountain Lion messed up my Macbook Pro.

Apple please helpme in downgrading and if possible I would like apple to refund their customers like me at the least.

Please release the patch to solve all the above issues. I hope other users might have many more problems.

Apple said 200 New Features but Most of us face 200 New Problems.

http://newgiz.blogspot.in/2012/08/os-x-mountain-lion-review-200-problems.html

• Reply 86 of 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxmine View Post

2) Single tap on the touch pad did not work until I do a click press, to select my profile

Overall, I forget that is it a Macbook Pro 7,1.  Mountain Lion messed up my Macbook Pro.

Apple please helpme in downgrading and if possible I would like apple to refund their customers like me at the least.

Please release the patch to solve all the above issues. I hope other users might have many more problems.

http://newgiz.blogspot.in/2012/08/os-x-mountain-lion-review-200-problems.html

Weird, opposite in my experience on every point

1) System strartup is faster

2) No clicking issues

3) Overall System Performance much snappier & more stable even

4) No app issues except with iMessage & after crashing it magically came up on it's own about an hour later & has worked perfect ever since

5) No reports of battery drain that I'm aware of since users with laptops had spotlight finish it's database build

6) Dictation works perfectly, even surprised at how well it works over built in mic.

I think you are actually in the minority.  Chances are you had some major system issues before the upgrade that are effecting you now.  You can try rebooting to the recovery partition & running disk repair & permissions repair, then try an install again.  There is also a good chance that some background app or apps are the cause of all your issues.  I had a memory leak issue with Safari that was driving me crazy for months, then I found out it wasn't Safari but one of the adblock extensions I had downloaded from the web.  You can open activity monitor & see a view of your running apps including background ones, try sorting by CPU usage or virtual memory usage as both can be an indication something is terribly wrong with an app.  

By the way, my father in-law has an older MacBook & he's had no issues at all, in fact he loves Mountain Lion.

Also, instead of ranting on a forum begging Apple for help just call them, you should be able to (that is if you bought 10.8 legitimately).  The battery issue is a known issue effecting some users & every indication is Apple is trying to address it.  Blanket statements only make resolving legitimate issues more difficult so please stop wasting everyone's time.

• Reply 87 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by maxxmine View Post

1. Not for me.

2. Ywa. Because the root account doesn't have that turned on, and you really oughtn't mess with it.

3. Not for me.

4. Not in the slightest.

5. Incorrect.

6. Works perfectly. Enunciate.

We're not Apple, you're NOT getting a refund, and they don't release "patches". Funny that you desire other users to have more problems for whatever masochistic reason. image

I'm sure you're very witty. You represent <1% of users.