• Reply 21 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

So, just for the record.

According to Samsung these AREN'T the same:

But these ARE:

imageimage

Did I get that correct?

• Reply 22 of 73
    Where in this story is the bowl of water reference mentioned? Typically awful AI story.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Where in this story is the bowl of water reference mentioned? Typically awful AI story.

Park, a senior designer at Samsung, gave testimony claiming the design patents for the F700 were applied for in December of 2006, well before the first public announcement of Apple's iPhone. Most important are the designer's statements regarding the handset's design inspiration, which she claims came from a bowl of water and not from any Apple patents.

And CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57491367-37/samsung-our-phone-design-was-inspired-by-a-bowl-of-water/

• Reply 24 of 73
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member

Toilet Bowl is probably the case if it were true, but we know it's not. 

• Reply 25 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizSandford View Post

Do you have trouble reading, or are you just lazy?

• Reply 26 of 73
    ...dropped my iPhone into a bowel of water...
    Enema opinion, that sounds uncomfortable.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Yes, I definitely see the resemblance to a bowl of water..

Wait- what!??

Seriously Samsung needs to lay off with this F700 thing. It's embarrassing, especially since they seem to believe it's their strongest card. Quite the opposite, it utterly proves Apple's argument that Samsung was NOT working on anything like the iPhone before the iPhone, since this phone has nothing in common with the concept of the iPhone. It's black? Is that their argument? I don't get it. It has a damn slideout keyboard and the UI couldnt have looked more different than iOS. Nobody gives a shit what it was inspired by, because it's utterly irrelevant to their defence. 

• Reply 28 of 73

Shouldn't that be Park Hyoung Shin? 

• Reply 29 of 73

This just boggles the mind.  So the short bus designer sees a bowl of water and creates that?  Looks more like a urinal troff.  Thats some grasping at straws right there.  

• Reply 30 of 73
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Funny how the fandroids and Apple hating crowd on c|net, Engadget and the like claim this is about "rounded rectangles" when it seems to be more about software than anything else. If Samsung hadn't made TouchWiz look and act so much like iOS we might not be here right now. I do think some of their hardware mimicked Apple too but it's certainly about more than rounded rectangles.

http://allthingsd.com/20120810/breaking-apple-offered-to-license-its-patents-to-samsung-for-30-per-smartphone-40-per-tablet/
  • Reply 31 of 73
    I am searching for a funny comment about the design coming from a bowl of water but I simply can't ... Lies really are not funny I guess.

Actually, when the Sammy phone (or the original iPhone) is placed on a flat surface -- it does resemble a meniscus... the surface of water when you slowly overfill a glass of water -- where the surface is perfectly flat, but the edges curve downward to touch the glass.

The "bowl of water" could be a language difference... Like "smooth" sales.

It does sound funny, though.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    drblank wrote: »
    Uh oh, the half empty, half filled water.  Hack psychologists use that.

I think that an engineer is going to use a bowl that is filled with water because water is cheap enough.

But I am still trying to figure out why they simply just say that from the back of the phone it looks very much like the back of an iPhone 1st gen,  only a lot thicker.

One thing about Apple product designs that become big sellers is that they are usually iconic, just like the early Motorola handsets that first came out were iconic during the 70's.  Boy did everyone that had one seem cool and important.  

What I laugh about are the people that use cell phones to look like they are doing some important business deal, when in fact, all they are really doing is find out if they can hear someone through the bad cell connection.

Yeah! The "iconic" expression of the iPhone is best illustrated by a neighbor's daughter, who when asked what kind of cell phone she wanted, said: "the one that [pinch zoom gesture]".
  • Reply 33 of 73
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Apple's point of view "The F700 does bot exist!"
  • Reply 34 of 73
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I struggle to understand the strategy Samsung is employing here.

Is there some advantage to be gained by throwing the case? Perhaps they're looking for more time to present a better one?

• Reply 35 of 73
    lvrilvri Posts: 2member

I think this is not fair to use pictures of Galaxy S vs Iphone 3G which were modified (like for tabs !)

Here is a real picture of the 2 devices on the main screen (and not in App Drawer for the Galaxy S) :

The design of the Galaxy S reminds the F700, but there is no doubt that they try to be closer than the Iphone 3G. 

However, how a customer can make a mistake between the 2 devices ?? 

Samsung deserve to be punished (not in billion of dollars in my opinion), but that could be great, first of all, to see rules in terms of patent modified ! This system is broken since a long time now !

• Reply 36 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I read somewhere that Apple, in one of its approved iPhone patents, cited the F700 as prior art...  thus admitting it exists and using the patent to illustrate how the iPhone differentiates itself from the F700...  And, the Judge, therefore, considers it not to be relevant to this case.

• Reply 37 of 73
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvri View Post

I think this is not fair to use pictures of Galaxy S vs Iphone 3G which were modified (like for tabs !)

Here is a real picture of the 2 devices on the main screen (and not in App Drawer for the Galaxy S) :

The design of the Galaxy S reminds the F700, but there is no doubt that they try to be closer than the Iphone 3G. 

Samsung deserve to be punished (not in billion of dollars in my opinion), but that could be great, first of all, to see rules in terms of patent modified ! This system is broken since a long time now !

Well seeing as how the "app drawer" view was how Samsung represented the Galaxy S in their marketing materials, then it really is quite relevant.

I notice that they have now changed that view, probably reacting to fanboy comments as they are wont to do.

• Reply 38 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jcallows View Post

she got her inspiration after hitting her head on a toilet bowl

Samsung manages to invent (steal) a flux capacitor, goes back in time and kills Steve Jobs before he creates Apple, and then heads back to the future only to find that the movie interpretation of higher dimensional theory is now long outdated and they're just right back where they started, sans stolen Iranian plutonium.

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Trolls' point of view: this is the best (only) argument we have left. 

• Reply 39 of 73
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

Was the bowl of water half empty or half full?

The bowl is always full...  It's just half full/empty of water -- the other half is full of air.

Quote:

The other main contention point here is how Samsung phones are displayed in-store.  Surely human-interaction plays into this, but most of the Android phones I've seen in Best Buy have the App Drawer open...  I have to assume this is an instruction from Samsung on how to best display their product (since all other companies typically include this kind of info with their products).  Something I'm sure we'll hear discussed in this case at some point.

• Reply 40 of 73

Aside from your point being without one and incorrect on its face, look at that screen. You can do exactly what the "app drawer" does on any of the home screens, which exist in the exact same manner as the iOS Springboard. You can't look at that and not notice that your argument holds no water.

Ooh. We now have a new meaning for the bolded above. image I hope to see that get used more.

Blah blah, something about pretending that Samsung is in the wrong, blah blah, trying to use that to distract us and soften the blow of the real point of the sentence where we whine about how the patent system is broken, blah blah… 

I guess that's the logical conclusion, though. Every single argument that every Samsung astroturfer on here has ever said is completely broken, so all they have left is to attack the very idea of being able to protect intellectual property at all.