One Samsung exec told company to learn from Apple's iPhone, not copy it

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An Apple v. Samsung court document filed on Monday reveals an e-mail in which a top Samsung designer said to "learn through the lessons of the iPhone," not to make replica handsets based on Apple's popular designs.

The internal memo from Samsung designer Sungsik Lee was presented during the cross-examination of Apple expert witness Terry Musika, giving further insight into the South Korean company's efforts in replicating the success of Apple's iPhone, reports CNet.

Dated March 2, 2010, the e-mail was sent to Samsung's "UX (user experience) executives" about a month before one of the devices Apple is asserting trade dress claims against, the Galaxy S smartphone, hit shelves in June. In the note, Lee said that designers should learn from the iPhone's design, but points out future phones should not be replica devices.

From a translated version of Lee's e-mail:
At the Lismore critique meeting yesterday, CEO Gee Sung Choi strongly pointed out Samsung's [user experience] mindset of 'clinging to the past generation. Of course this must be distinguished from saying that we should do something simply because the iPhone did it that way, but [Choi] told us to make judgements based on user convenience, rather than through logical reasoning.
Lee goes on to say that "in the end, we must learn through the lessons of the iPhone that just providing every good feature isn't the way to go about it. Although everyone would agree with this, we would face huge obstacles putting this into practice."

The Samsung executive notes the company should evaluate the iPhone on how the device changed the industry.

"I am not saying to make what is exactly identical to the iPhone, but I am saying to learn the wisdom of the iPhone, and recognize the standard of the industry which was set by them already," Lee said.

Samsung Report
Slide from Samsung's 132-page side-by-side comparison of the iPhone and Galaxy S. | Source: Apple v. Samsung court documents

The e-mail fits into Samsung's "benchmarking" argument, or the alleged standard industry practice of keeping up with the latest features offered by competitors. A related 132-page document entered into court evidence last week shows a comprehensive side-by-side comparison of Apple's iPhone and what would become Samsung's Galaxy S.

Earlier on Monday, Samsung attempted to scrap the entire case after Apple's closing arguments, saying the Cupertino-based company didn't meet its legal burden in asserting trade dress allegations. Presiding Judge Lucy Koh denied the motion, but did allow three international Samsung smartphone variants to be removed from the list of accused devices.

Samsung will begin its defense and is set to present its first witness, Ben Bederson, who will give testimony regarding alleged prior art to Apple's '915 "pinch to zoom" patent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Samsung exec told company to learn from Apple's iPhone, not copy it ... that went well didn't it?
  • Reply 2 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Someone didn't get the memo...
  • Reply 3 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I guess Samscum decided not to listen to their own designers.

• Reply 4 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    What I find interesting is the number of internal Samsung documents that appear to show clearly that even Samsung execs agree that Apple revolutionized the smartphone. I wonder how long it will be before their ardent supporters also accept that.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member

This reminds me of the South Park episode where Kyle says to Cartman, "That's not being nice ... that's just wearing a nice sweater,"  To which Cartman confusedly responds, " ... I don't understand the difference."  

I think Samsung suffers from the same ethical deficiency ... not being able to understand the difference between "learning" from something, and outright copying.  

"That's not 'learning' from Apple and the iPhone ... that's just copying."

" ... I don't understand the difference"

• Reply 6 of 54
    This has been going on since Japan in the 1960's, Asian companies making replicas of European and American products. Hopefully the courts will punish Samsung so severely no one will do it again. Yes Kia that would mean you need to hire a designer too! Although there is an irony that Kia is ripping off Toyota who ripped off Mercedes and BMW. It's not as if Asians aren't very smart enough ... get out there and innovate for heaven's sake.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

So after they told them to go out there and learn from iphone what happened when they brought the designs and products and packaging and icons and featues back ,did they then forget what they told them to do...if thats the best defend then congrates to apple for a nice little win.

• Reply 8 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This has been going on since Japan in the 1960's, Asian companies making replicas of European and American products.

Whoop, you're racist now.image

It's not as if Asians aren't very smart enough ...

Nope, you're just trying to save face. image

• Reply 9 of 54
    tcasey wrote: »
    So after they told them to go out there and learn from iphone what happened when they brought the designs and products and packaging and icons and featues back ,did they then forget what they told them to do...if thats the best defend then congrates to apple for a nice little win.

Not little. This has to be a big fracking win, so big Samsung bleed all over the floor. Then it's Googles turn. Frankly, IMHO ripping off iOS is far worse than the ripping off of the look and feel of the hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

What I find interesting is the number of internal Samsung documents that appear to show clearly that even Samsung execs agree that Apple revolutionized the smartphone. I wonder how long it will be before their ardent supporters also accept that.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting ...

• Reply 11 of 54
    Whoop, you're racist now.:lol:

Nope, you're just trying to save face. :lol:

I know you jest but in fact I am not being racist at all, just look at the academic achievement levels in the USA, we are so far behind it is embarrassing and if not for H1B visas our patent levels would be down the tubes. Asians are very clever! I just hate theft of IP, be it Bill Gates, Samsung or Eric Schmitt et al.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

Don’t copy Apple. Just “learn" how to do the same thing Apple did, in the same way Apple did it :) A valuable lesson, and not just for UI: it works for hardware design, packaging and accessories too!

• Reply 13 of 54
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

I'd really like to see the equivalent document from Apple benchmarking...nothing. 

• Reply 14 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by digital clips View Post

…we are so far behind it is embarrassing…

Nay, inexcusable.

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Don’t copy Apple. Just “learn" how to do the same thing Apple did, in the same way Apple did it.

Give your CEO a special project, kick him out, have him start a competing company, tank your own, then buy his company after a few years and put him back in charge?

• Reply 15 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung exec told company to learn from Apple's iPhone, not copy it ... that went well didn't it?

It went very well, Samsung is making money, while the other non copiers are losing money.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    Nay, inexcusable.

Give your CEO a special project, kick him out, have him start a competing company, tank your own, then buy his company after a few years and put him back in charge?

Yes on 1 and too funny on 2. I wonder if that will ever happen again in history to the extent it did with SJ.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It went very well, Samsung is making money, while the other non copiers are losing money.

Yes, well I was referring to the directive not the result. However, it may backfire if justice prevails .... I live in hope.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Yes, well I was referring to the directive not the result. However, it may backfire if justice prevails .... I live in hope.

Some would argue that justice has already somewhat prevailed in the fact that the latest devices from Samsung no longer look like iPhones. I do however agree that their trade dress is still exactly like Apple's.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

He only sent the email a month before the product started shipping?  Hmm.  That gives them PLENTY of time to change the product.  Yeah, right.  They probably already went to mfg by the time they got the email.

• Reply 20 of 54

image Now hiring new executives for Samsung.

Requirements: Excellent oral and written communication skills.

Excuse me sir, by "learn", did you mean the same icon style, icon sizes, same fonts and same phisical button locations?