Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

It will be the iPad Air.

Unlikely. 

• Reply 42 of 61
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    uguysrnuts wrote: »
    Hmmm...
    Expect a "natural evolution" clone from Samsung to come out shortly after.

Oh Please... Samsung, along with numerous others, have offered tablets in sizes raging from 5 to 8 inches for years already, So it's quite obviously Apple who's doing the 'copying' here.
  • Reply 43 of 61

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The Apple doesn't even look centered…

It is, but it's too big proportionally.

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So it's quite obviously Apple who's doing the 'copying' here.

Provided it even exists.

• Reply 44 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Oh Please... Samsung, along with numerous others, have offered tablets in sizes raging from 5 to 8 inches for years already, So it's quite obviously Apple who's doing the 'copying' here.

And they all have pretty much failed so it's quite obviously Apple who knows what they're doing.

• Reply 45 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I don't know why these particular pictures are getting the massive play that they are, they seem obviously fake to me.  This thing is thicker than the thickest iPad and poorly shaped overall.  Why would Apple come out with a new product that's so clunky and so much bigger and thicker than anything they've made previously?  

The Apple doesn't even look centred, it doesn't look like it's even hollow, and the pics that show the speaker grille make it look like it was made out of plasticine.  

The styling, the logo everything looks cheap and fake. I wouldn't expect an iPad mini/iPod Touch maxi to have a flat back with no bevel. One of the nice things is the "scoop" so when it's on its back you can pick it up easily.

It strikes me as odd as that we have so many legitimate leaks for the iPhone and none for this iPad. That tells me it's not going to ship in September.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And they all have pretty much failed so it's quite obviously Apple who knows what they're doing.

Remember that all matters is the size of the display being used¡ The quality, OS, apps, ecosystem and all other other aspects of engineering and development that make a device usable are pointless to DaHarder so long as he can say Apple has accomplished nothing because the measurement on the diagonal is similar to some unfinished piece of crap that failed in the market.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Remember that all matters is the size of the display being used¡ The quality, OS, apps, ecosystem and all other other aspects of engineering and development that make a device usable are pointless to DaHarder so long as he can say Apple has accomplished nothing because the measurement on the diagonal is similar to some unfinished piece of crap that failed in the market.
    We won't see a 7" tablet from Apple unless they feel they can provide a better product and better experience. And I'm not just talking iOS vs Android, the device would need superior build quality, display, something unique that would get people to spend $50 or $100 more than Nexus 7 for it (google might not care about making money off hardware but Apple does).
  • Reply 48 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

We won't see a 7" tablet from Apple unless they feel they can provide a better product and better experience. And I'm not just talking iOS vs Android, the device would need superior build quality, display, something unique that would get people to spend $50 or $100 more than Nexus 7 for it (google might not care about making money off hardware but Apple does).

This point has been addressed (partly in this article and in great detail by the references cited in this article; did you not read before ranting?). The difference makers will be its thickness and weight, or rather lack of both.

• Reply 49 of 61
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right on the screen. And then a full inch of the edge of the screen is designed to be off all the time so that it doesn't "accidentally register" presses.

????

I seriously hope that's a joke, because that idea is pretty silly.

• Reply 50 of 61

Just to throw it out there...

Apple has many other legacy displays that they could create this 7.85" display from.  The iPhone 3Gs is not the only one.  Look at the current iPod nano...funny enough, that display is the exact same ppi as the current MB Pro Retina (220 ppi).  Why not use that diplay for the rumored iPad mini?  The Nano diplay has been around for at least 3 years now.  I get that the 3Gs display has been around much longer, and most of the other displays Apple uses are lower pixel density, but Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Reply 51 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Wait a minute. $200 to $250? Assuming this is US pricing, let's look at the pricing of the iPod Touch. It's priced at $199 for an 8GB model, $299 for the 32GB version and $399 for the 64GB version.

If Apple releases a tablet priced identically to the current Touch, it would have to be the replacement for the Touch, not an entirely new size option. 

If one assumes that for a larger tablet, 8GB is not going to cut it, there would have to be at minimum a 16GB starter version of this tablet. So an 8GB Touch checks in at $199 yet Apple is supposed to deliver a 16GB 7-inch tablet for between $200 and $250? Wow. 

The math is way off here. It just doesn't add up. 

I've been suggesting that idea forever.  Really, the iPod Touch doesn't have the same user base as the iPhone.  It used to be that way, but now I think the touch serves the same purpose as the rumored iPad mini.  So completely dropping the current Touch (IMO) is kind of a no-brainer.  Plus, should Apple price this at the $199-$249 range, it will almost completely cannibalize the current iPod Touch anyway.

Where I differ is that I still think a 6.85" (exactly half-way between the current iPad and the rumored 4" iPhone) would be a better solution as that perfect middle ground, but Apple knows better.  Every day I get less and less skeptical of this rumored device.  However, I have no need for one since I have both the iPad and the iPhone, and a 7.85" device will not fit in anyone's pocket, unless you wear cargo pants/shorts everyday.

• Reply 52 of 61
    ignatzignatz Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Some people have no taste.  Just because the screen is the same size, they think that everything else is the same too.  Then they come here to troll and say that Apple is just copying, when the fact is that Apple is the only innovative company in the entire industry and every other manufacturer just waits for Apple to do the R  and D and then copies them unmercifully.

Its not fair for Apple to be the development lab for the rest of the industry.  They try to copy as close as they can, but they don't have the ecosystem to support their junk products.

• Reply 53 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This.

This is probably an iPod Touch or all new model that replaces the Touch.

Not sure if it will be marketed or branded as an "iPad Mini" and most of the photos floating around show what looks like a 3:2 screen ratio.

i'm guessing everyone blocks my posts because i've been talking about this idea for months now.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150463/exciting-sept-could-see-apple-intro-new-iphone-ipad-mini/80#post_2121049

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150463/exciting-sept-could-see-apple-intro-new-iphone-ipad-mini#post_2120483

• Reply 54 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I am not sure what is going to happen but I doubt this scenario.  

iPods are for music and gaming and the iPod touch, while not as popular as the flagship iOS devices has a dedicated following.  The iPad mini is a different form factor altogether and runs a different version of the OS.  The focus for iPads is on productive work, not gaming and music.  I don't see that the presence of the mini iPad means that the iPod touch will necessarily go away at all.  If they wanted to make a device to replace the current iPod touch, why wouldn't they stick with 16:9 like the new iPhone and the smaller, more pocketable size?  

It's not like Apple to take a product off the market and replace it with another product that can't actually fully replace it.  Additionally, the flex cable shown above is more likely to be from a future iPod touch than a future iPad mini IMO.  It has the audio jack on the bottom, and far closer to the dock connector than it would need to be if it was for the iPad mini.  To me that signals that it's for a smaller device.  All the other schematics and all the other leaks for the iPad mini have the audio jack on the top, and most have speaker grilles right where this headphone jack would be also.  

Disagree.

1. have you regularly used an iPhone/Touch for Music?  It's one of the dodgy'st apps on there and you can't operate the device without looking at it (save for volume, of course)  It's worthless as an iPod.

2. Sure the current iPad is trying to market itself for more productive work, but i can pretty much place a safe bet Apple won't market a mini iPad as a productivity device.  IT will be like the Google device, consumption and entertainment only.

3. They took the iPod Mini off the market when the Nano came out.  Even thought the Mini was technically inbetween the iPod classic and the Nano.  They dropped the 17" MBP with and made the Flagship MB the 15" Retina.

• Reply 55 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I seriously hope that's a joke, because that idea is pretty silly.

Oh, can you not see emoji yet?

And yeah, it was. But that's what some people actually believe. They think that idea makes sense and will make a 7" iPad usable/great.

• Reply 56 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, can you not see emoji yet?

And yeah, it was. But that's what some people actually believe. They think that idea makes sense and will make a 7" iPad usable/great.

all i saw was a black square outline, so i must be too dense to realize what that is.  And I was/am on a laptop when I read it.

I really hate the UI for the iPad version of this text editor, nothing seems to work properly.

• Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've been suggesting that idea forever.  Really, the iPod Touch doesn't have the same user base as the iPhone.  It used to be that way, but now I think the touch serves the same purpose as the rumored iPad mini.  So completely dropping the current Touch (IMO) is kind of a no-brainer.  Plus, should Apple price this at the $199-$249 range, it will almost completely cannibalize the current iPod Touch anyway.

Where I differ is that I still think a 6.85" (exactly half-way between the current iPad and the rumored 4" iPhone) would be a better solution as that perfect middle ground, but Apple knows better.  Every day I get less and less skeptical of this rumored device.  However, I have no need for one since I have both the iPad and the iPhone, and a 7.85" device will not fit in anyone's pocket, unless you wear cargo pants/shorts everyday.

To me it's a case of, if you don't see the point of having the Touch and the rumoured Mini, because they would be too close in price and even intended use, surely a Touch that is still pocketable would broaden the appeal of the resulting device. In other words, taking away the ability to easily pocket the device is a bad idea and that's exactly what killing the Touch and replacing it with a 7.85-incher would cause to happen. Being able to pocket the device should be regarded a design must-have. That needs to be balanced off the desire to give the product a larger screen than the one currently in the Touch. Get the balance right and Apple would hit it out of the park. 

• Reply 58 of 61
    woodlinkwoodlink Posts: 198member

It would be AWESOME if Cook, channelling Jobs, introduces the next iPhone and then says, "we have one more thing"...

a 7 inch iPad mini will easily fit in a "stocking hung by the chimney with care".

How does 900 bucks a share sound campers?

I like it a lot.

--------------------------

the next sound you hear is Nintendo and Sony shoveling dirt on their handheld gaming plans

• Reply 59 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Woodlink View Post

a 7 inch iPad mini will easily fit in a "stocking hung by the chimney with care".

the next sound you hear is Nintendo and Sony shoveling dirt on their handheld gaming plans

A smaller (pointless) tablet won't signal the end of real gaming machines that have real software properties (well, in the case of Nintendo, only) behind them.

• Reply 60 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

To me it's a case of, if you don't see the point of having the Touch and the rumored Mini, because they would be too close in price and even intended use, surely a Touch that is still pocket-able would broaden the appeal of the resulting device. In other words, taking away the ability to easily pocket the device is a bad idea and that's exactly what killing the Touch and replacing it with a 7.85-inch-er would cause to happen. Being able to pocket the device should be regarded a design must-have. That needs to be balanced off the desire to give the product a larger screen than the one currently in the Touch. Get the balance right and Apple would hit it out of the park. 

I agree with your argument that a pocket-able touch interface iOS device must still be in the line-up.   However, I think Apple has done everything in their power to make that pocket-able device the iPhone.  They still support the 3GS and it's free with contract.  In the early days, Parents didn't want to pay for their kids to own and iPhone because of the ridiculously high-priced contracts.  Now with so much competition in the Cell market a Data/phone contract can be pay-as-you-go now and much more affordable.  So I agree, there probably needs to be 3 size of iOS devices, but I think that 3rd can easily be the iPhone instead of the iPod Touch.  Or, they could add iOS phone functionality (e.g. iMessage, or Google Voice) in the future and just offer the iPhone as either WiFi-only or LTE.  I'm really surprised they haven't done that already.