Parts believed to be from Apple's next-gen iPhone fit together 'perfectly'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

The longer screen is better for maps. But only if you're traveling north/south.

The longer screen is probably better for at least 90% of the content on the phone given that the stuff that isn't movies or games (obvious beneficiaries of the new format), is basically lists.  

I didn't see it at the time, and was completely against the change, but now they've done it, the benefits are quite clear and (I think) far reaching.  Prepare yourself for a whole round of articles that essentially say "I never realised it but that extra bit of screen makes *so* much difference!"  The only difference will be the level of effusiveness.  

• Reply 42 of 62

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein 2!

• Reply 43 of 62
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Since they're the ones making the products, why wouldn't they just TELL the accessory makers the exact dimensions of their new products… 

What in the world kind of sense does that make?

When it hits the streets, there won't be a single accessory that will work with it anyway! Have you seen any Dock Connector 2 pin descriptions leaked?! Leaks are NOT how case and accessory manufacturers find things out!
    With all due respect, and granted I'm not an expert or an insider, but I have read dozens of articles over the years about how the accessory manufactures have to guess what features the new iPhone will have. In particular the case manufacturers. Now it could be poor reporting, but all of these articles, many on this very site have indicated that accessory makers are often the last to know, because apparently Apple does not inform them ahead of the announcement. Ergo, the leaks prepare the accessory makers, the announcement confirms it, and within a month, anticipated designs are fabricated and rolled into retail outlets. I realize that there wont be any new accessories available the day the phone hits the streets, but if the manufacturers didn't have a clue, and Apple does not tell them (after all why would they -- it's not their problem and the disclosure of which would just be a source of additional leaks for the competition, not to mention official confirmation), then it would be months after the fact, rather than weeks.

In which case my hypothesis makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Now that the form factor (and parts) are all but confirmed, I am wondering if I will feel the extra length in my pocket while sitting down.

If you do I'm sure Apple will tell you that you're storing it wrong ;)

Actually I would tend to agree with that sentiment. Although I sometimes leave an iPod touch (smaller, lighter than an iPhone) in my pocket when sitting down, I only do so if I'm wearing loose fitting casual pants with large pockets. Even so most of the time I take it out before sitting down.

• Reply 45 of 62
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It would be so funny if Apple was just sitting back and making a big list of all the repair shops leaking these parts onto the Internet, and subsequently decided to discontinue parts service to all of them based on the violation of their agreements.  

I would love to see all these immoral idiots shut down for good and lose their livelihood.  It would serve them right and be highly entertaining in the process.  

I'm sure there would be endless threads on AppleInsider as a result as well.  No doubt they would be filled with idiot trolls arguing that Apple had "no right" (to terminate service based on a clear contract violation), and so forth.  This is just my own private fantasy of course, but I hope Apple does it.  It would certainly be within their rights.  

Don't discount Apple triggering some leaks, to block some Samsung G III sales.

• Reply 46 of 62
    harbinger wrote: »
    Now that the form factor (and parts) are all but confirmed, I am wondering if I will feel the extra length in my pocket while sitting down.

I guess that depends on how much you like the new design.

;-P
  • Reply 47 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I would call the earphone jack at least partly an issue of parallax. I think there might be an inner bezel that's missing. iPhone 4/4S has an inner bezel, and that explains the depth/gap.

You are probably right about the inner bezel. image

• Reply 48 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsyedinak View Post

On the other hand, parts and feature leaks contribute to a feeling of being let down on reveal day.

Quite the opposite. It manages expectations, so people don't go into the event expecting a 'teardrop' shaped phone with a 5" screen and holographic projection and pretending to be massively dissapointed. . 

• Reply 49 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Part leaks spur discussions and build hype before a product release. Even though Cook said he wanted to "double down on security", I'm sure Apple doesn't mind this kinda stuff at all.

I'm sure they do.

Given the propensity for the rest of the industry to simply copy everything Apple does, these leaks give the competitors several months' head start.
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I've never had a complaint about the extra length. ;)

I'm sorry to hear that. You can find stuff online that might help.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member

Quote:

The longer screen is probably better for at least 90% of the content on the phone given that the stuff that isn't movies or games (obvious beneficiaries of the new format), is basically lists.  

I didn't see it at the time, and was completely against the change, but now they've done it, the benefits are quite clear and (I think) far reaching.  Prepare yourself for a whole round of articles that essentially say "I never realised it but that extra bit of screen makes *so* much difference!"  The only difference will be the level of effusiveness.  

I use web a lot on my phone, and unless hte site has a mobile version, this will be a downgrade.

• Reply 51 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    LL

I use web a lot on my phone, and unless hte site has a mobile version, this will be a downgrade.

I don't get why you made everything so much larger on the larger display.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

The metal part looks like bare aluminum to me, I don't understand what is going on there. The more mature parts look like they were coated gray.

Not the white one.

• Reply 53 of 62
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member

Quote:

It would be so funny if Apple was just sitting back and making a big list of all the repair shops leaking these parts onto the Internet, and subsequently decided to discontinue parts service to all of them based on the violation of their agreements.  

I would love to see all these immoral idiots shut down for good and lose their livelihood.  It would serve them right and be highly entertaining in the process.  

I'm sure there would be endless threads on AppleInsider as a result as well.  No doubt they would be filled with idiot trolls arguing that Apple had "no right" (to terminate service based on a clear contract violation), and so forth.  This is just my own private fantasy of course, but I hope Apple does it.  It would certainly be within their rights.  

What a nice person you are! I bet you also enjoy kicking small children should they stray onto your lawn. I mean it's your lawn, and their fault, so they're getting what they deserve!

This is just a phone, much like any other. Who care if people leak pictures of parts, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

• Reply 54 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    jll wrote: »
    Not the white one.

OK, not the white one, but the white one didn't look like bare metal either. So that leads to the question how this "repair shop" managed to get an uncoated chassis.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    kotatsu wrote: »
    What a nice person you are! I bet you also enjoy kicking small children should they stray onto your lawn. I mean it's your lawn, and their fault, so they're getting what they deserve!

This is just a phone, much like any other. Who care if people leak pictures of parts, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

The wording was too strong, but there probably is a legitimate point there. If these are real Apple parts, then there is a good likelihood that a lot of people are violating their agreement, and deliberately so, by making these parts known. Apple works to keep things secret to make the best PR impact, and these folks are capitalizing on that. It's just parts, so why would these people risk their jobs, or even their businesses over parts? They probably made agreements, and if you're in violation of those agreements, then there are repercussions based on the terms of those agreements.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

How about connectors that prevent liquid intrusion so that you don't get a warranty denied simply because a tiny strip of indicator turned color?

• Reply 57 of 62

The "sixth iPhone" ;) shell has a lot of swirl marks from machining on the interior. Is the shell said to be an actual Apple product, or it a mock up made from the drawings that the parts happen to fit into?

• Reply 58 of 62
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

OK, not the white one, but the white one didn't look like bare metal either. So that leads to the question how this "repair shop" managed to get an uncoated chassis.

• Reply 59 of 62

It looks a good 1mm thinner, if the glass is flush with the case and by the looks of the way the back is assembled it will be.

• Reply 60 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    With all due respect, and granted I'm not an expert or an insider, but I have read dozens of articles over the years about how the accessory manufactures have to guess what features the new iPhone will have. In particular the case manufacturers. Now it could be poor reporting, but all of these articles, many on this very site have indicated that accessory makers are often the last to know, because apparently Apple does not inform them ahead of the announcement. Ergo, the leaks prepare the accessory makers, the announcement confirms it, and within a month, anticipated designs are fabricated and rolled into retail outlets. I realize that there wont be any new accessories available the day the phone hits the streets, but if the manufacturers didn't have a clue, and Apple does not tell them (after all why would they -- it's not their problem and the disclosure of which would just be a source of additional leaks for the competition, not to mention official confirmation), then it would be months after the fact, rather than weeks.
    In which case my hypothesis makes a lot of sense.

I doubt Apple is telling them anything. These parts leak out. Employees steal them. It's that simple. I imagine that security isn't as tight in these places as it should be. As parts get ramped up into the millions, weeks before assembly, defective ones are removed, and a few of those disappear. Supposedly, even defective ones are supposed to be kept secure, but people are people, and even plant managers in many places look to make some money from this.

Don't forget, that many case designs from these third parties over the years turned out to be wrong. But as we get closer to actual release, genuine parts are over the place. I wouldn't be surprised if some case manufacturers bribe people to get plans and actual parts.