Parts believed to be from Apple's next-gen iPhone fit together 'perfectly'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    The "sixth iPhone" ;) shell has a lot of swirl marks from machining on the interior. Is the shell said to be an actual Apple product, or it a mock up made from the drawings that the parts happen to fit into?

These parts are, as are the parts to other portable Apple products, machined from a solid billet of aluminum alloy. The swirl marks are marks from the milling cutter moving around the metal as it cuts out the unneeded material. Unless Apple is using the marks as strengthening, by making them in different heights as they do for the bigger devices, they look uneven, but can actually be less than a "tenth" in height (that's a ten thousandth of an inch).
  • Reply 62 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The longer screen is probably better for at least 90% of the content on the phone given that the stuff that isn't movies or games (obvious beneficiaries of the new format), is basically lists.  

I didn't see it at the time, and was completely against the change, but now they've done it, the benefits are quite clear and (I think) far reaching.  Prepare yourself for a whole round of articles that essentially say "I never realised it but that extra bit of screen makes *so* much difference!"  The only difference will be the level of effusiveness.  

By that rational, the primary benefit of the longer screen is less scrolling.  Color me unimpressed.  If the screen does not also grow in width then the web content will be the same size as it is now (in portrait mode any way.)  So will all icons.  There is a reason computer monitors grow in both directions, not just length.  Maybe you'll be one of the few people happy with a longer screen but not me.  If the width does not also increase this will be the first new iPhone I do not purchase.