Apple fully abandons disliked 'Genius' TV ads

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    ... and an apartment where the Geniuses' wife has just given birth (dubbed "Labor Day")

That was HIS baby!?! Wow that's... odd.

These ads were so... off. Funny, but weird. Especially for the big A.

We other-countryers not so familiar with Best Buy, but if it's a big, tacky, electronics warehouse thing, yeah. They're like mosquitos. Or lawyers. Ubiquitous. Unimaginative. Usually unfriendly. Uncomfortable. Understood.

Apple are gonna be making some mistakes in an absence of... familiarity. They just need to get comfortable in the new. Something to do with a saddle?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    mac512mac512 Posts: 37member

These ads lacked of ... genius, that's it.

• Reply 43 of 51
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianwells View Post

I thought the ads were made by Samsung... 

No, but those are coming... 

"The new Samsung Galaxy IV.   So elegant and simple you don't need to be a genius to use it."

Smart move by Apple to ditch this train wreck of an ad.

• Reply 44 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Thank Cheezus, This kind of ad I would expect from Best Buy, not Apple.

Which is likely the reason why they were pulled - some number of folks were asking - did you see that Best Buy commercial with the iPad in it? 

• Reply 45 of 51
    laytechlaytech Posts: 340member
    It wouldn't have happened on Steve (Job) watch. Yes, the airline was quite funny but this is the sort goof Microsoft would do. Don't portray users as idiots and software as complicated to use, cricky Apple what were you thinking?
  • Reply 46 of 51
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

I agree completely stupid!

• Reply 47 of 51
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    well, the Late Steve Jobs would not have allowed these commericals to get past the storyboading stage... Not a Knock on Tim Cook, was probably told "they are great commercials..." but when he directed his attention to them, he realized that they had to be erased...( perhaps the person who was let go was the one who ok'd these commercials, thus the firing)
  • Reply 48 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Josh Rabinowitz, the actor, was incredibly adorable.

The commercials highlighted the great things you can do with Apple and the great support system (the Apple Genius).

The stories were cute and frantic, really out there.

And people who were offended…WTF? Let's turn the tables alittle bit since 95% of these comments are "Thank god". What the hell is wrong with your perception that you could be offended by these whimsical commercials? Or better yet, why are they so "un-apple"? You guys really know Apple that well? You'd rather go back to PC bashing commercials?

It's clear they want to drive people into the physical stores and they want people to know the advantages of mac and that they can get their questions answered. So what gives America? (p.s. I'm American but this kind of "outrage" over something so stupid is so American...)

Besides the "adorable" part, couldn't agree more.  I suspect the people that got their panties in a wad aren't that good with computers to begin with, so the commercials made them feel a bit dim.

• Reply 49 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejameskyle View Post

but that doesn't make them terrible

You're correct. Their obnoxious, cloying tone make them terrible.

• Reply 50 of 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

At least Apple moves (usually) quickly when they trip over themselves....  ...unlike say, MS, which somehow still has Steve Ballmer in the big chair despite hundreds of missteps, major and minor, over the years.....

LOL. How true!!

M$ tripped like 10+ years ago and the process of realization hasn't even started yet.

Go go throw some more chairs, and keep it that way Steve.

• Reply 51 of 51
    arlorarlor Posts: 533member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

You're correct. Their obnoxious, cloying tone make them terrible.

I always found the whole "I'm a Mac/PC" ads obnoxious and cloying. And smug. (And Steve presumably approved those.)

I've liked every ad without a person in it. Probably says something about me.