Apple releases Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.1 with iMessage, Migration Assistant fixes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64

I still get this message every time iTunes opens... No one at Apple seems to know why.

• Reply 22 of 64
    I still get this message every time iTunes opens... No one at Apple seems to know why.

LL

Talk to your Mom or Dad. But probably they have their reason.
  • Reply 23 of 64

Just installed it. Runs exactly like the Mountain Lion general release. In other words, perfectly.

• Reply 24 of 64

Doing a battery test on my retina Macbook Pro now. Will post results.

• Reply 25 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

For those wondering, yes the GM does update from the App Store.   :)

• Reply 26 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I love reading the "well they didn't fix the bug I just know everybody has because there are 6,346 views in the Apple forums. Come on Apple!" posts. Hilarious. Funnier still are "I can't find the update laments." Everybody's glitch is a well known, pandemic issue that Apple refuses to fix because their engineers are incompetent, right?
  • Reply 27 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

For those wondering, yes the GM does update from the App Store.   :)

Was a retail paid version tied to the same account through whose App Store you opened?

• Reply 28 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was a retail paid version tied to the same account through whose App Store you opened?

No.  :)  I haven't purchased the retail version yet. Still running the GM. 

• Reply 29 of 64

I have had Mountain Lion crash my iMac consistently since installation. I even corrupted the disk when I had to power off and had to do a reinstall. Thought everything had been stable for a few days and then the SBBOD. I hope this patch release fixes things. I hate to say it because its a running joke on App Insider but Safari seems to be running a lot quicker :)

• Reply 30 of 64
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

My wife‘s MacBook Pro appStore.app does not recognize that there is an update, so i am downloading the whole thing for her, i do not like the appStore.app it is Not fast and have no tabs.

• Reply 31 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Still no fix for broken Notes application (IMAP account)!
  • Reply 32 of 64
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

No mention of addressing the speculative battery issues makes me wonder if that was an issue after all. (There may well have been people experiencing some issues but it may have been indirectly related.) Also, a notably short list of fixes. It sounds like they just about nailed it on the initial release.

You sure like to kiss Apple's butt, don't you?     You've got to me kidding me.     Battery life is most certainly an issue.  Enough so that Apple called me personally about it (really!).   And my Mac is still freezing up about every other day which it never did before installing Mountain Lion.

I was extremely disappointed in the QC by Apple in this OS release.    Made me lose a bit of faith and have concerns that Apple has become too big a company and isn't paying attention to the details.       If .1 doesn't resolve these issues, I'm really gonna be pissed.   The only thing I blame myself for is being stupid enough to upgrade on the .0 release.  I've never done that before.  

• Reply 33 of 64

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Battery life is most certainly an issue.

For some. Not all.

I was extremely disappointed in the QC by Apple in this OS release.    Made me lose a bit of faith and have concerns that Apple has become too big a company and isn't paying attention to the details.

Sounds like the same thing said at every single release that is quietly shoved into the background a few weeks out. Kind of like now.

• Reply 34 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What were they 'expecting'? What 'wifi issues'?

Computer partially freezes up but when it does so, WiFi doesn't work.  The icon at the top only has one randomly "lit" bar (that bar in black, the other bars in grey).    I usually don't even notice it's happened until Entourage goes out to get mail and I hear a whole bunch of error sounds.  Then I look up and see that there's no WiFi.

At this point, one app is usually not responding.  I force-quit that app, but then another app goes into "not responding" mode when it tries to quit.  And so on.   Finally, everything has closed and the machine can reboot.  On reboot everything is okay again for a day or two.    Then either while it's sleeping (or being awoken) or while I'm using it, it will freeze up again.  I initally thought iTunes was the culprit, so I keep that app out of memory unless I need to use it.    That has slowed down the number of freezes, but hasn't eliminated them.    I think any app that goes out to the web can cause the problem, even if all it's doing is checking for an update. 

Many other people are reporting this same problem.   I'm using a late 2008 MBP.

Had absolutely no problems under Snow Leopard. (I had never upgraded to Lion).   I'm having the battery life issue as well.  Even in sleep mode, battery dissipates in about an hour.   When Apple called me, battery went from 98% to 75% while we were on the phone  (but using the machine).  

• Reply 35 of 64

Well i did the update and if nothing else it made the battery even worse off.  Not sure why.  Now battery at 100% shows a whopping 1:50 Hr:min.  A far cry from the original 8.5 hours.

I've already done all the other tips that ive read up on and thought this would be "the" fix.  I can only hope the next fix will do it.  

• Reply 36 of 64

Quote:

For some. Not all.

Sounds like the same thing said at every single release that is quietly shoved into the background a few weeks out. Kind of like now.

Sounds like an Apple apologist.    Go to the Apple complaint boards.  There are thousands of complaints on these issues.    I've been using Macs since the very first one in 1984.    Aside from an OS upgrade some years ago where almost everything stopped working (that turned out to be a bad font, even though the OS had no problems with the font before the upgrade), I've never had to call Apple about anything before now -- every other OS upgrade has gone perfectly.    This is the first one for me that has caused big problems.    My opinion is that Apple's obsession with secrecy is causing them to miss things that would have been caught by external beta-testers.     Having Developers test isn't good enough because they're only testing to see if their own apps work, not if the machine works in general.   Or, because computers are becoming an ever smaller percentage of the overall business, Apple simply doesn't give a crap.

• Reply 37 of 64

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Sounds like an Apple apologist.    Go to the Apple complaint boards.  There are thousands of complaints on these issues.

For. some. Not. all. I fail to see how that could be any clearer.

I've been using Macs since the very first one in 1984. …I've never had to call Apple about anything before now… This is the first one for me that has caused big problems.

It's obviously the end of the world, then.

My opinion is that Apple's obsession with secrecy is causing them to miss things that would have been caught by external beta-testers.

But this somehow hasn't been a problem for the past 28 years.

Apple simply doesn't give a crap.

*snap* That's gotta be it.

• Reply 38 of 64
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

For. some. Not. all. I fail to see how that could be any clearer.

It's obviously the end of the world, then.

But this somehow hasn't been a problem for the past 28 years.

*snap* That's gotta be it.

you are paid for being a moderator right?

i‘d not have the patience, even if paid.

I am having trouble to, as i pointed above. 

imageIt's obviously the end of the world, then.

Funny but Ain‘t that trolling!, being sarcastic?

• Reply 39 of 64

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

you are paid for being a moderator right?

i‘d not have the patience, even if paid.

Oh, no. And I sometimes lose it, but I usually respond at that point by poking fun more than anything else. 

• Reply 40 of 64
    haddyhaddy Posts: 3member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Yeah for me the update weighed in at 7.28MB

Well not for me.......it was 4+GB.  I guess Apple insisted on the combo update for me. Took about 50mins and two restarts. However, all is well and much snappier:-)