Steve Jobs describes future of personal computing in 1983 speech

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post


    You're totally missing the point of computers. They're MACHINES!. They'll never be smart. You don't know what smart means. They'll never be intelligent. You don't know what intelligent means.


     


    They're MACHINES. They have to be told what to do and when to do it. That's not smart. That's not intelligent.


     


    They'll never surpass humans--unless you only consider the machine aspect of humans. Unless humans continue to devolve into machines themselves.


     


    There will be at least some of us who will NEVER do that.



     


    Actually, your missing the point of putting enough information and rules into a computer that it CAN be "intelligent" by a human asking it the correct type of question. What do you think the whole "artificial intelligence" field is all about? Yes, they only understand what we give them, but as we give them more and more they understand more and more, and if we tell them how to tie information together, then perhaps they will be able to do it better and/or faster than we can...


     


    In fact, if your going to look at it like that, WE are somewhat MACHINES. We are given information, we can look at a set of characteristics, objects, etc and based on "rules" that we are taught and are grown up to respect can make decisions or opinions of those. Really we are machines to some extent. We do question things that don't make sense, but a machine can do the same thing... when its data doesn't give it a precise answer, it can be instructed to ask "Why?" or to access the internet and search for information on the subject matter and after pooling that data make decisions on what appears to be most correct, just as a person would probably do.

  • Reply 22 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    danielsw wrote: »
    You're totally missing the point of computers. They're MACHINES!. They'll never be smart. You don't know what smart means. They'll never be intelligent. You don't know what intelligent means.

    They're MACHINES. They have to be told what to do and when to do it. That's not smart. That's not intelligent.

    They'll never surpass humans--unless you only consider the machine aspect of humans. Unless humans continue to devolve into machines themselves.

    There will be at least some of us who will NEVER do that.

    I'd suggest that you educate yourself before blathering about things you don't understand.

    In principle, there's nothing that a human brain can do that a computer can not mimic well enough that they would be indistinguishable. Look up 'Turing test' for example.

    Better yet, take a critical thinking course and learn something about intelligence and what it means.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post


    He was a good artist. I missed you, Steve.



    You have no idea what he (or Picasso) was even talking about.

  • Reply 24 of 55
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,215member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Oh, please. why does every discussion have to end with a mention of Hitler?

    It didn't until you mentioned him
  • Reply 25 of 55
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member


    Apple/Google maps still has to implement seasonal street views.

  • Reply 26 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    I'd suggest that you educate yourself before blathering about things you don't understand.

    In principle, there's nothing that a human brain can do that a computer can not mimic well enough that they would be indistinguishable. Look up 'Turing test' for example.

    Better yet, take a critical thinking course and learn something about intelligence and what it means.


    I'm wondering what you will be saying to the computer that is administering your lethal injection in riddance of the human race in the year 2050 or so.

  • Reply 27 of 55
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,415member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    "we're going to sell 10 million of these computers whether they are a piece of shit or not"


     


    7:53 into the audio track. Yep he said it.



    By "we" I think he meant the industry as a whole, not just Apple.


    And he also said it would cost the same to build shit or beauty, so,


    let's do beauty.


     


    Its like taking the stealing quote out of context, as an apology/rationalization for Samsung copying...


    gotta take the whole idea, not the bit that supports your point.


     


    Sorry, if I misapprehended why you quoted this "bit".

  • Reply 28 of 55


    Steve wanted a machine that could capture a person's "underlying spirit"   Back when Apple started, so did all his co-workers, because Steve did not like bathing, using deodorant, or wearing shoes.


     


    One day, all the media jerks will stop trying to make a buck off a dead guy.  Steve had his good points and bad ones, just like everyone else.  Let Steve rest in peace.

  • Reply 29 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


     


    And the world is all the better for it. 


     


    Well, at least Samsung is. 


     


     


     


    Dissatisfaction is the mother of innovation. Steve looked around and said "this stuff isn't good enough." 



    Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by the multitude of blue gray colored plasticky crap products Best Buy sells. It was like I walked into 1995. I have the similar feeling when I walk into my friends's office. Basically full of his and his wife's pwr bricks and dusty cables connected to crappy small displays and crappy Windows towers with crappy clunky keyboards and mice. All sitting on crappy OfficeMax type crappy desks. Ugh.


     


    I know I sound like a broken record but, an iP5, an MBA, an iPad 8," iCloud and a large screen AppleTV and I'm good to go. Maybe a TimeCapsule, too.


     


    I want to simplify my digital life. And thanks to Steve I can. I will not buy electronic equipment unless it is made by Apple.


     


    Camera? Sold it and use my iPhone 4s.


     


    Stand-alone-GPS? Nada, I use TomTom App.


     


    Video Cam? Nope, iP4s, again. 


     


    Stereo? Nope, iP4s, again. 


     


    iPod? Nope, iP4s, again. 


     


    DSLR Camera? Nope...will do without until Apple makes one.


     


    TV? Nope.... am doing without until Apple makes one.


     


    Printer? Forced to use a Brother MFC495CN but get my ink from Amazon for less than a 10th of what I would pay at Target or OfficeMax. B/C it's wireless, I keep it in a closet, so I don't have to look at it. Doing a lot less printing anyway...may have to buy a printer that will print from my iOS devices soon. Will try to avoid HP like the plague!

  • Reply 30 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post


    By "we" I think he meant the industry as a whole, not just Apple.


    And he also said it would cost the same to build shit or beauty, so,


    let's do beauty.


     


    Its like taking the stealing quote out of context, as an apology/rationalization for Samsung copying...


    gotta take the whole idea, not the bit that supports your point.


     


    Sorry, if I misapprehended why you quoted this "bit".



    Yeah what ever. He was way off the accepted academic presentation guidelines with cuss words.

  • Reply 31 of 55
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


     


    Why? Because his particular brand of genius was the kind that stemmed from his being a deeply dissatisfied person. He was the kind of person who could only drive progress forward by manipulating people, sometimes with charm, sometimes with lies or psychological abuse. Knowing how to manipulate people and actually doing it are hallmarks of the best known people in the world.



    And then he became a billionaire.  Woo hoo.

  • Reply 32 of 55
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post


    If they cloned him in secret, then you wouldn't know about it, would you....?



    Exactly!  But we the world would benefit from the genius of him wouldn't it?

  • Reply 33 of 55
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I'm wondering what you will be saying to the computer that is administering your lethal injection in riddance of the human race in the year 2050 or so.



    I guess I'll be saying "Bye-bye..."

  • Reply 34 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by the multitude of blue gray colored plasticky crap products Best Buy sells. It was like I walked into 1995. I have the similar feeling when I walk into my friends's office. Basically full of his and his wife's pwr bricks and dusty cables connected to crappy small displays and crappy Windows towers with crappy clunky keyboards and mice. All sitting on crappy OfficeMax type crappy desks. Ugh.


     


    I know I sound like a broken record but, an iP5, an MBA, an iPad 8," iCloud and a large screen AppleTV and I'm good to go. Maybe a TimeCapsule, too.


     


    I want to simplify my digital life. I will not buy electronic equipment unless it is made by Apple.


     


    Camera? Sold it and use my iPhone 4s.


     


    Stand-alone-GPS? Nada, I use TomTom App.


     


    Video Cam? Nope, iP4s, again. 


     


    DSLR Camera? Nope...will do without until Apple makes one.


     


    TV? Nope.... am doing without until Apple makes one.


     


    Printer? Forced to use a Brother MFC495CN but get my ink from Amazon for less than a 10th of what I would pay at Target or OfficeMax. B/C it's wireless, I keep it in a closet, so I don't have to look at it. Doing a lot less printing anyway...may have to buy a printer that will print from my iOS devices soon. Will try to avoid HP like the plague!



    Brilliant!

  • Reply 35 of 55
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 412member
    There are lots of prior art to Siri, so no, it wouldn't be the first step
  • Reply 36 of 55
    What are the chances any 20-somethings in tech today mention the names Plato or Aristotle in a sentence? Sadly, I'd say the chances are zero.
  • Reply 37 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Yeah what ever. He was way off the accepted academic presentation guidelines with cuss words.



     


    Hey, the world was just coming off the f*ckin' '70s fer kerist's sake!! 

  • Reply 38 of 55

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Quodo you couldn't be more right...I mentioned in an earlier post that last week I went into a Best Buy (first time in years) to look at the Ret. MBP. I was astounded and nauseated by the multitude of blue gray colored plasticky crap products Best Buy sells. It was like I walked into 1995. I have the similar feeling when I walk into my friends's office. Basically full of his and his wife's pwr bricks and dusty cables connected to crappy small displays and crappy Windows towers with crappy clunky keyboards and mice. All sitting on crappy OfficeMax type crappy desks. Ugh.



     


    Gawd! I just LOVE the smell of PVC and pressed wood in the morning!

  • Reply 39 of 55
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    k2director wrote: »
    What are the chances any 20-somethings in tech today mention the names Plato or Aristotle in a sentence? Sadly, I'd say the chances are zero.

    qft - they're more likely to salute Stephen Hawking who in the context of this thread is eerily human and part machine. Perhaps that should read - human and eerily part machine.
    I admire him immensely for his humanity and his ability to simplify concepts that are able to be understood - well, by the likes of me !

    Give him 30 secs of deeper detail though and I'm struggling. lol

    ot - I know but hey why not.. Arthur C Clarke wrote something similar in terms of human evolution, I forget the book but went along the lines of -
    humans transferred their intellect into machines because there were no physical or biological imperfections and then the logical extension from that became pure energy. Dispassionate about anything else other than creating life. - ot
  • Reply 40 of 55
    A truly great American. It's not the same without him.
Sign In or Register to comment.