Samsung's new retail store in Australia has an Apple-like appearance

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    mwhitecomwhiteco Posts: 112member

Can you tell me how much Samsung is paying you 845032 for all your comments against Apple?

• Reply 22 of 89
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    No shame

The conditions are growing for a Samsung boycott. I personally have pursuaded several friends and family from purchasing a variety of Samsung products over the past year.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    845032 wrote: »

Various photos of stores

http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/30/sonys-latest-retail-strategy-follow-apples-lead/

Sony style store -> Apple copied Sony style store, renamed as "apple store" -> Sony copied Apple store

Unfortunately you neglected actually to read the article that you linked, which does not support your argument at all, or check what Sony's stores looked like pre-Apple store, which was nothing like that judging by the results of Google image search.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I have been to the head Sony retain store in japan, you are full of it, it never looked like that 5 years ago.the idea of that type of retain store wasn't apples idea, the presentation is. That same Sony shop had a refitting about a year after the apple store opened up on the same street ;)

and before sony there was was sharper image and brookstone

• Reply 25 of 89
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    In 1999, Apple hired Allen Moyer, a former Sony executive who had been part of the company's retail development projects, including the Metreon complex in downtown San Francisco. There, Sony had opened its own Sony Style store where consumers could wander in and get their hands on Sony's gadgets. Being in the middle of a densely populated and tourist-filled city, the store had the potential for big foot traffic. More importantly, it could be an attraction.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/05/19/scitech/main20064261.shtml

And Andy Rubin used to work at Apple before he started the Android project that was later picked up by Google.

Go figure.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Originally it was "Apple is stupid for opening a store when Dell, Sony and Gateway can't even money at it" and "Apple Stores are style over substance." Will we now see those same people claim that this is the only way to design a consumer electronics store?
  • Reply 27 of 89

Yes, the stores are similar, but when you consider marketing and general graphic design trends, it's not surprising that a particular trend dominates.

As for this particular Samsung store, well there are material differences between it and an Apple store: for a start there's a lot more focussed lighting, where Apple store lighting tends to be very discreet. Also the display units are white melamine or plastic versus Apple's beechwood and they're presented at differing heights versus Apple's uniform heights (children's area excepted). As for the practical demands of a store where people come in and browse the technology on offer, the two companies' products require similar types of browsing from potential customers, therefore the layout of the store will naturally follow the same basic design. If you go into a John Lewis store in the UK you will see arrangements of display units in very similar grid-like patterns, and you would have done in the 1970s before Apple had every been heard of (yes, I'm that old to remember what such a store was like in those days!). Regarding the location of the store - so what if there's an Apple store a block or so away? The two companies are attempting to market to the same people therefore they're going to put their stores in neighbourhoods where those people tend to go. It's like building a garden centre: you wouldn't put it in the middle of the financial district of the City just because other garden centres set up shop in the suburbs!

Yes the stores look similar but that's not copyrightable nor is it trade dress. The stores are NOT the same though and anyone who was looking for Apple's signature style of store would be unlikely to mix the two up. They're close, out of a basic necessity of design and customer flow, but they're not that close.

Note: I have absolutely no time for Samsung's copying of Apple's products - I think they're gross plagiarists in that area - but I believe in being objective about things rather than play to the tribal audience. I am a fan of Apple's products (own thousands and thousands of £s worth of them) however I say as I see, and I don't see a big problem here.

• Reply 28 of 89

So 845032, do you give Apple credit for anything?  Or are they just copying someone else on everything they do?

And what reason do you have for defending Samsung - or are you just purposely doing what you're doing on an Apple-based and Apple biased website?

Nevermind.  I'm simply feeding the troll and I know that does no one any good.  Maybe I'll go over to www.samsunginsider.com, or is it www.sammyinsider.com or maybe I should jump over to www.samrumors.com or www.sammyrumors.com or www.samsungrumors.com for inside scoop on what new, great, game-changing products Samsung has ready for us.

• Reply 29 of 89
    lots of empty space, lots of room between the demo products and the inventory is in the back
    [/quote]

Stop the presses! Samsung copied every American shoe store from the 1960s!
    Florscheim should sue!

Calling the people at the stores geniuses is moronic. They are not even helpful.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Yes, the stores are similar, but when you consider marketing and general graphic design trends, it's not surprising that a particular trend dominates.

As for this particular Samsung store, well there are material differences between it and an Apple store: for a start there's a lot more focussed lighting, where Apple store lighting tends to be very discreet. Also the display units are white melamine or plastic versus Apple's beechwood and they're presented at differing heights versus Apple's uniform heights (children's area excepted). As for the practical demands of a store where people come in and browse the technology on offer, the two companies' products require similar types of browsing from potential customers, therefore the layout of the store will naturally follow the same basic design. If you go into a John Lewis store in the UK you will see arrangements of display units in very similar grid-like patterns, and you would have done in the 1970s before Apple had every been heard of (yes, I'm that old to remember what such a store was like in those days!). Regarding the location of the store - so what if there's an Apple store a block or so away? The two companies are attempting to market to the same people therefore they're going to put their stores in neighbourhoods where those people tend to go. It's like building a garden centre: you wouldn't put it in the middle of the financial district of the City just because other garden centres set up shop in the suburbs!

Yes the stores look similar but that's not copyrightable nor is it trade dress. The stores are NOT the same though and anyone who was looking for Apple's signature style of store would be unlikely to mix the two up. They're close, out of a basic necessity of design and customer flow, but they're not that close.

Note: I have absolutely no time for Samsung's copying of Apple's products - I think they're gross plagiarists in that area - but I believe in being objective about things rather than play to the tribal audience. I am a fan of Apple's products (own thousands and thousands of £s worth of them) however I say as I see, and I don't see a big problem here.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they violated any IP by doing this. It's just rather amusing.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    <h1>A Store Is Born</h1>

Sept. 29, 2000

"Apple began revamping its retail strategy last year, hiring away people such as Allen Moyer of Sony Corp.’s U.S. unit, who helped oversee the design of retail centers such as the flashy Sony Metreon, a Sony-anchored mall in San Francisco"

http://classroom.wsj.com/cre/2012/02/24/a-store-is-born/

I daresay by far the majority of Apple employees previously worked for some company or another before Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Everyone knows that this is the natural direction that the industry is going in, and all stores would soon look like that even if Apple hadn't done it first.

Same idea as arguments made by Samsung about "rectangles" in court. If its so obvious why were things so ugly previously

• Reply 33 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sennen wrote: »
    I daresay by far the majority of Apple employees previously worked for some company or another before Apple.

Then that means everything they've ever done before Apple belongs to the companies that came before¡ You worked at Lou's Car Wash for a Summer when you were 15yo... if you write the next great novel then all the credit for that book should go to Lou's Car Wash¡
  • Reply 34 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And Andy Rubin used to work at Apple before he started the Android project that was later picked up by Google.

Go figure.

Whoops! (^_-)

• Reply 35 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Then that means everything they've ever done before Apple belongs to the companies that came before¡ You worked at Lou's Car Wash for a Summer when you were 15yo... if you write the next great novel then all the credit for that book should go to Lou's Car Wash¡

That's right! The credit for everything that Apple made should belong to Atari.

• Reply 36 of 89
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

That's right! The credit for everything that Apple made should belong to Atari.

A lot of people say "Thank you Jesus" all makes sense now.

• Reply 37 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

A person has to be real cheap and quite ignorant to walk into an Apple copycat store featuring copycat Apple employees, and then proceed to purchase a substandard copycat phone or a third rate tablet ripoff.

Is there any wonder that some people might get confused? Samsung is clearly trying to exploit the dumb and the ignorant consumer. Samsung's own lawyer couldn't even identify a Samsung knockoff tablet from an original iPad. 

It's like I've always said, Fandroids are cheap people who have no style, they possess piss poor aesthetics, they have lousy morals and they're technologically challenged people, opting for a third rate experience on crappy devices which seek to mimic the original, but fail.

• Reply 38 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they violated any IP by doing this. It's just rather amusing.

I guess the question then arises: Why is it even a story then?

I know, it's because everyone's now interested in seeing if Samsung are doing something else naughty, but it's a bit tenuous when it's just the opening of a shop that has a glass front and some tables in it. Most shops have those!

• Reply 39 of 89
    geoadmgeoadm Posts: 81member

Its funny how you can read everywhere how "Apple Fanbois" will flame you to shreds if you say something bad about Apple but this Apple based forum has alway got the same google fandroids posting here to defend google, android and samsungs honour and try to start arguments. Must be very lonely people.

• Reply 40 of 89
    muppetry wrote: »

I guess the question then arises: Why is it even a story then?

I know, it's because everyone's now interested in seeing if Samsung are doing something else naughty, but it's a bit tenuous when it's just the opening of a shop that has a glass front and some tables in it. Most shops have those!

It's another element in a pattern - not particularly significant on its own, but in the context of all the copying accusations, definitely topical.