Samsung's new retail store in Australia has an Apple-like appearance

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Samsung are shameless.. they have no shame. I don't know how someone can defend Samsung with a straight face.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

What is the problem here?

Was apple patented all store should belong to them ?

Microsoft store is OK. Sony store is OK. But, Samsung store is bad ?

And don't forget Apple store itself is copy of "Sony Style store"

Apple did patent and trademark their retail store design.

• Reply 42 of 89

From the Video:

Smart Tv's

Smart Phones

Smart Tablets

Smart Cameras

Obviously the product naming mantra is a tongue in cheek irony that does not extend to the company execs.

Personally, I'm sick of all these "smart" labels on devices. Its only as smart as the user (not saying much in most cases) How long before they stick a 2.0 on them

TV 2.0.   bla.. its friday, beer!

• Reply 43 of 89
    845032 wrote: »
    What is the problem here?
    Was apple patented all store should belong to them ?
    Microsoft store is OK. Sony store is OK. But, Samsung store is bad ?

And don't forget Apple store itself is copy of "Sony Style store"

Stop denying the obvious here. Everyone wants to be Apple at retail. You know it to be true.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    nasserae wrote: »
    Samsung are shameless.. they have no shame. I don't know how someone can defend Samsung with a straight face.

John Quinn?
  • Reply 45 of 89
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member

There is one huge difference in the real-world appearance of Apple Stores and Microsoft Stores, however: Apple Stores are always filled with customers that really want the products being offered for sale.

• Reply 46 of 89
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    mstone wrote: »

I heard they had a $70k money giveaway to draw a crowd.

Meanwhile Apple gives out cheap tshirts and folks come anyway
  • Reply 47 of 89
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    red oak wrote: »
    No shame
    The conditions are growing for a Samsung boycott. I personally have pursuaded several friends and family from purchasing a variety of Samsung products over the past year.

Trouble is that Samsung is a parts company as well. If you really want to boycott them you can't buy anything Apple either.
  • Reply 48 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

There is one huge difference in the real-world appearance of Apple Stores and Microsoft Stores, however: Apple Stores are always filled with customers that really want the products being offered for sale.

Yes - but your example has two huge differences.  1. Apple stores are always filled with people (from my own experiences at least) and 2. The people shopping Apple stores want, and buy, the products they sell.

Microsoft stores may have customers who want their product (I'm guessing because I've never been to one to see whether people are buying things there), but they're certainly not filled to capacity as it seems Apple stores are (which I'm gleaning this information from the fact that they're not opening new stores every week and making huge profits at the stores).  It's possible, but not very likely, ANY of the Apple competitors are successful in the same way Apple is with their stores - because no other tech supplier has the brand equity that Apple has.

Funny true story.  I was talking with a business associate two days ago.  He apologized to me for not calling me back sooner, but said his new Nokia Windows phone had frozen and because he had no way to remove the battery, he didn't know how to get the phone to un-freeze.  He was used to using a Blackberry, but his company was dropping exclusive support of BB and opening the use to Windows phones - in part because of the poor state RIM is in.  He did finally figure out that holding the power button down will eventually reset the phone.

• Reply 49 of 89
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

Remember when the Android fanboys were going to the apple stores to jailbreak ipads and iphones?  Maybe now the Apple fanboys should go to this store and install one of the many malware apps out there for Android.  Payback's a bitch. LOL LOL LOL

• Reply 50 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoDexter View Post

I guess the question then arises: Why is it even a story then?

I know, it's because everyone's now interested in seeing if Samsung are doing something else naughty, but it's a bit tenuous when it's just the opening of a shop that has a glass front and some tables in it. Most shops have those!

Oh come on. It's a bit more than "glass front and some tables in it". 

Samsung Store (not necessarily Sydney) design choices that were not inevitable or industry-standard:

-large open grid of demo unit tables

-demo units with acrylic-encsased tablets displaying information

-monolithic "library signs" describing each section

-glass walls dividing the store into thirds,fourths, etc.

-large edge-to-edge graphic panels covering the walls

-bar area at the back with stool seating

-accessories arranged in an oversized grid in recessed bays 

-tablet covers displayed in low-profile acrylic case at the end of the tables

-window displays with giant-scale mockups of product

I'm not saying Apple was absolutely the first to do any of these in any context. But in electronics retail, if you put them all together simultaneously, you're blatantly copying Apple. It's of interest because Samsung is currently on the hook for up to $2 billion for doing the same thing in their products.

• Reply 51 of 89

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Maybe now the Apple fanboys should go to this store and install one of the many malware apps out there for Android.

We're better than that, though.

• Reply 52 of 89

Well...I'm just glad that Microsoft took a completely different approach...

• Reply 53 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

A Store Is Born

Sept. 29, 2000

"Apple began revamping its retail strategy last year, hiring away people such as Allen Moyer of Sony Corp.’s U.S. unit, who helped oversee the design of retail centers such as the flashy Sony Metreon, a Sony-anchored mall in San Francisco"

http://classroom.wsj.com/cre/2012/02/24/a-store-is-born/

obvious Samesung employee is obvious.  The Sony Playstation store you are referring to looks nothing even remotely close to what the Apple Stores look like.  the layout, the content, colors, everything was _totally_ different.  Once Apple Stores showed up and started dominating with their innovative store designs, Sony copied the design, layout, colors, etc...  So yes, Sony, like Samesung and Microsoft, copied Apple Stores. Again, why does Samesung not sell its TVs, Washing Machines, Stoves, Refridgerators, Vacuums, etc.... at their stores?  Why do they only sell phones, computers, and tablets just like the Apple Store?  What is your official Samesung talking point for that?

• Reply 54 of 89
    citycity Posts: 522member

Yes, you can litigate the layout of a store.  STØR vs, Ikea! They didn't look alike to me with STØR being better quality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STØR

• Reply 55 of 89
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Can't these people do anythng on their own?

• Reply 56 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Oh come on. It's a bit more than "glass front and some tables in it". 

Samsung Store (not necessarily Sydney) design choices that were not inevitable or industry-standard:

-large open grid of demo unit tables

-demo units with acrylic-encsased tablets displaying information

-monolithic "library signs" describing each section

-glass walls dividing the store into thirds,fourths, etc.

-large edge-to-edge graphic panels covering the walls

-bar area at the back with stool seating

-accessories arranged in an oversized grid in recessed bays 

-tablet covers displayed in low-profile acrylic case at the end of the tables

-window displays with giant-scale mockups of product

I'm not saying Apple was absolutely the first to do any of these in any context. But in electronics retail, if you put them all together simultaneously, you're blatantly copying Apple. It's of interest because Samsung is currently on the hook for up to $2 billion for doing the same thing in their products.

I have no idea what country you're in, but most mobile phone chain stores in the UK have had broadly equivalent store layouts, including grid-like wall displays for years, and certainly long before Apple opened a store in the UK (which was the Regents Street, London store in late 2004). Nearly everything listed is all pretty standard retailing fare, from small shops to giant department stores.

I mentioned John Lewis earlier (it's a chain of giant department stores in the UK). They have used the acrylic information holders on display cabinets for donkeys years... Ok, obviously not electronic tablets inside the display I grant you, but then again, in the 1970s, nobody had any concept of such a device.

Yes, Apple has a particular style. A very good style indeed, in fact. They have a retail design language that they have exported all over the world. BUT... none of the elements of the language are original and the only copyrightable elements of it are things like 'Genius Bar' which they're able to trademark. Bar stools at a counter is not exactly original... Pubs have been doing it for centuries!

I will repeat: I am an Apple fan. I have spent vast sums of money on Apple goods, to the exclusion of more or less every other brand, except by necessity. I am, however, not so tribal about it to accuse anything with superficial hints of Apple-ness as being automatically a blatant wilful copy. There's enough different about that Samsung store that it's not going to confuse anyone. It's clean, modern, stylish, and on-trend regarding current high-tech design, but that's as far as it goes. Note, that doesn't mean I don't think Samsung copied the iPhone blatantly and wilfully: I'm quite certain they did and I hope they pay handsomely for their ripping off. Just that this store is simply riding a trend that others ride as well.

• Reply 57 of 89

Thank God the Apple fruit logo is still the main differentiator...unless SAMEsung wants to copy that too.

• Reply 58 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Apple does it and they succeed brilliantly with it. Samsung's a little late copying it, though. 

The thing is, you need the customer service, the products, the cachet, and the right philosophy about people's relationship to technology, to back that store up. You don't just take an idea, copy it and then hope it works. If your core values aren't there (and a horizontal business model certainly IS NOT there) then all you have is waste. 

• Reply 59 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

Thank God the Apple fruit logo is still the main differentiator...unless SAMEsung wants to copy that too.

The main differentiator is the User Experience (which is what I think you meant.) Apple/iOS ecosystem vs. Google/Samsung/Android. 

It's like night and day. No matter how much Samsung tries to copy Apple, they're still running a lousy OS. Which on some devices, is truly garbage. Now throw in poor build-quality. A hallmark of Android devices. 

Quote:

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-10-1-review-embarrassing-lazy-arrogant-money-grab-review-109907/

Galaxy Note 10.1 review of ‘embarrassing, lazy, arrogant money grab’ review

So my message to Samsung [on the software side] is: If you can’t do this correctly, stop skinning Android. You’ve been trying and failing for so many years and nothing good has come of it, so just stop. Even when you have a good idea, like split screen and floating apps, you don’t control the right parts of Android to make it work. So just accept it and leave the OS development to the professionals. You can’t add any worthwhile functionality at the layer you normally change, and you have no taste for design. Stock Android is so good now, messing with it is like getting a fully-cooked meal from a famous, 5 star chef, and then smothering it with ketchup. So stop.

And as for the hardware: Please don’t buy this.

Samsung is the world’s largest Android OEM, by a huge margin. They need to get the message that this kind of half-assed, lazy, profit-margin-first style of device building is unacceptable.

The hardware is pure, unadulterated garbage. The build quality is so bad, I think it gave me cancer. Samsung gave us last year’s display tech and saved their best tablet screen for Apple.

It’s been about 1 month since Google forever changed the Android tablet landscape with the release of the Nexus 7, and it’s clear the Note 10.1 was designed and priced in the pre-N7 dark ages. This tablet is bad at any price point, but, somehow, Samsung found the courage to chargefive hundred dollars for it. That’s 2-and-a-half Nexus 7s, and, to be honest, the N7 feels more expensive than the Note 10.1.

The saddest thing is, Samsung can do so much better. The Series 9 laptop guys make beautiful, kick-ass products out of aluminum every day. In fact, they use some crazy aluminum alloy called “Duralumin.” I want that. You guys also make the iPad display, why don’t you just whip up a widescreen version? Is the mobile division entirely run by passionless, cost-cutting bean-counters? Show some pride in your work, pull the best parts of Samsung together, and make something great.

The overall impression I get from this is arrogance. “We’re Samsung. You slobs will buy anything we crap out. We don’t have to try, we don’t even need the latest components. You’ll buy it no matter what.”

And it isn't just Samsung doing this. 

Android OEMs are such a cancer in the industry. 

• Reply 60 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The main differentiator is the User Experience (which is what I think you meant.) Apple/iOS ecosystem vs. Google/Samsung/Android. 

It's like night and day. No matter how much Samsung tries to copy Apple, they're still running a lousy OS. Which on some devices, is truly garbage. Now throw in poor build-quality. A hallmark of Android devices. 

And it isn't just Samsung doing this. 

Android OEMs are such a cancer in the industry. 

Have you ever used a Gingerbread or above Android device?? Android used to suck it no longer does!