Apple 'confirmed' to hold iPad mini event in October

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After introducing its new iPhone in September, Apple will hold a separate event in October to introduce its new, smaller iPad, a new report has been able to confirm.

John Paczkowski of All Things D reported on Saturday that the event for Apple's so-called "iPad mini" will be held in October, after the anticipated Sept. 12 iPhone event. That means Apple has two "blockbuster events" lined up for product debuts this fall.

"Only after the next generation iPhone is out the door and on sale will Apple announce the smaller iPad it's been working on," Paczkowski wrote. "That device, which is expected to have a display of less than eight inches, will be uncrated at a second special event, which sources said is currently scheduled for October."

The anonymous sources who spoke with Paczkowski confirm earlier comments from both Jim Dalrymple of The Loop and John Gruber of Daring Fireball, both of which indicated this week that they expect Apple to hold two separate events for the new iPhone and iPad mini. Gruber said an event in the first or second week in October would be in line with iPod events that Apple has held for the last decade.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 111


    Yes, the one for which we've seen nothing but third-party guesses cases.

  • Reply 2 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So what [I]other[/I] products will be announced at which event?

    What will be the name of this smaller tablet?
  • Reply 3 of 111


    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    So what other products will be announced at which event?


     


    I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…


     


    Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.


     


    Or each iPod can get its own event.


     


    September: iPhone


    October: iPad mini


    November: iPod touch


    December: iPod nano


    January: iPod shuffle


    February: real iPad


    March: real iPad ships


    April: iPod nano mini


    May: iPod shuffle mini


    June: iPhone nano (WE WERE ALWAYS RIGHT)


    July: iPad mini mini


    August: iPad mini (not iPad mini, but regular iPad mini, iPad mini)


    September: iPhone 4 again, because numbers.

  • Reply 4 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    What will be the name of this smaller tablet?


     


    I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.

  • Reply 5 of 111
    The name of the new mini iPad?

    I'm sure: the i/iiPad (aka the halfpad)
  • Reply 6 of 111

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


     


    I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.



    The iTouch, because it will replace Apple's currently best selling device to kids!


     


    /S

  • Reply 7 of 111

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


     


    I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.



    umm...how about the iPod Whopper? 'Cause it's gonna whop the hell out of all the 7" tablets. 


     


    Besides, it take two hands to handle the Whopper.

  • Reply 8 of 111


    Did you see the Twitter fight over credit that ensued? Apple bloggers finger-pointing .... all about who speculates and who is truly connected when it comes to Apple events.

     

  • Reply 9 of 111


    And this is not confirmed.

  • Reply 10 of 111
    How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.
  • Reply 11 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member


    I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.


     


    By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  John Paczkowski  just flat out says "confirmed" and "it's going to happen", which he never does unless it's a done deal.  My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

  • Reply 12 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post



    How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.


    Sounds like a controlled leak.

  • Reply 13 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…

    Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.

    That's the thing, which goes where? I'd think the iPods go with the iPhone and the Macs with the iPad, but I certainly don't feel strongly about that, especially when we're considering a new product in the lineup.

    Nov and Dec are typically dead months for releasing new products.

    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152132/apple-confirmed-to-hold-ipad-mini-event-in-october#post_2175765"]
    I'm going with iPad mini, that's the most obvious choice.

    iPad mini seems the most reasonable to me, too, but I've heard some reasonable arguments that Mini and Air should stay with the Mac line and that neither are a good name to market a smaller tablet from Apple. If they do choose something else I'd think it would be to focus the branding on a specific usage type for marketing.
  • Reply 14 of 111

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    I like iPad Air.  The idea being (analogous to the MacBook Air) that you give up some screen real estate, resolution and battery life to get a much thinner and lighter device.


     


    By the way, doesn't seem like the confidence level on this one is unusually high?  I know rumors always fly fast and thick, and frequently don't pan out, but some pretty well sourced Apple pundits have all but said they know things for sure.  My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.



    Totally, iPad Air FTW. Not /s. That's actually a pretty cool name for a tablet.

  • Reply 15 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How do anonymous sources "confirm" anything? And why does it read like Apple confirmed it? Not sure about the quality of writing here these days.
    Just like the Apple TV that Eddy Cue supposedly said wasn't coming and then we find out from the source that he never said any such thing. Reporting on rumor sites can be quite shoddy at times.
  • Reply 16 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

    iPad mini seems the most reasonable to me, too, but I've heard some reasonable arguments that Mini and Air should stay with the Mac line and that neither are a good name to market a smaller tablet from Apple. If they do choose something else I'd think it would be to focus the branding on a specific usage type for marketing.


     


    Mini is not exclusive to the Mac line, there's an iPod mini, so iPad mini would work out just fine. Air is obviously exclusive to the Macbook, and I think that it should stay that way for the moment.

  • Reply 17 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    addabox wrote: »
    My impression is that in this case Cook's Apple is willing to do some anonymous background stuff in order to throttle sales of the Nexus 7.

    There is also that Kindle event that was recently announced. I expect Amazon to have made the Fire a considerably better product YoY. Perhaps even with a price drop.

    I like Air the best but I do think Mini is most likely despite Mini making it sound small and Air making it sound lightweight.

    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152132/apple-confirmed-to-hold-ipad-mini-event-in-october#post_2175785"]
    Mini is not exclusive to the Mac line, there's an iPod mini, so iPad mini would work out just fine. Air is obviously exclusive to the Macbook, and I think that it should stay that way for the moment.

    Your original point was that it can't be Air because it's used with a Mac product. I pointed out that Mini was also used with a Mac product. Now you're claiming that it can't be Air because there is no iPod Air. That is irrational. It's like saying back in 2004 there could never be a Mac Mini in 2005 because there is now an iPod Mini.

    And where do you get this exclusivity claim? Where is it written that Air can only be used with Mac nomenclature? It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,687member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    Your original point was that it can't be Air because it's used with a Mac product. I pointed out that Mini was also used with a Mac product. Now you're claiming that it can't be Air because there is no iPod Air. That is irrational. It's like saying back in 2004 there could never be a Mac Mini in 2005 because there is now an iPod Mini.

    And where do you get this exclusivity claim? Where is it written that Air can only be used with Mac nomenclature? It's currently used on only one product by Apple. That's it! Nothing more! It doesn't mean that no product could possibly use it if Apple's marketing felt it was the best name for the product.


     


    I'm simply saying that mini already appears throughout multiple product lines, from Mac Mini to iPod Mini. Air is only associated with one product line, their Macbook Air laptop.


     


    Apple could very well release some other "Air" product in the future, who knows, I'm not claiming that they won't. I just think that it's not a great name for the smaller iPad which they will be releasing soon.

  • Reply 19 of 111
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


     


    I'm simply saying that mini already appears throughout multiple product lines, from Mac Mini to iPod Mini. Air is only associated with one product line, their Macbook Air laptop.


     


    Apple could very well release some other "Air" product in the future, who knows, I'm not claiming that they won't. I just think that it's not a great name for the smaller iPad which they will be releasing soon.



    I think they will just call it iPad. We don't have different names for 11" and 13" Air or 13" and 15" MBP. Of course then what would the size reference be for this new iPad? 7" or 8" or 7.84"?

  • Reply 20 of 111
    I wonder if they think it's iPhone+iPods and iPad or iPhone and iPad+iPods…

    Maybe the iPods should have a third event in November.

    Or each iPod can get its own event.

    September: iPhone
    October: iPad mini
    November: iPod touch
    December: iPod nano
    January: iPod shuffle
    February: real iPad
    March: real iPad ships
    April: iPod nano mini
    May: iPod shuffle mini
    June: iPhone nano (WE WERE ALWAYS RIGHT)
    July: iPad mini mini
    August: iPad mini (not iPad mini, but regular iPad mini, iPad mini)
    September: iPhone 4 again, because numbers.
    You left out the iPad Maxi.
Sign In or Register to comment.