Jurors knew Samsung was guilty after first day of deliberations, wanted to send message with verdict

Comments

• Reply 81 of 196

22 days of profit for Samsung mobile division to be exact

• Reply 82 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondafence View Post

It's dangerous territory to say that no one can ever create a similar product. That is utter nonsense....and Tylenol would be $3 a pill if that were so, Once a defacto standard has beed defined by penetration / dominance of the marketplace, to simply outlaw any competitive process is rediculous. Even Comcast and Time Warner are required to carry competitors' programming and broadband services under licensure. Apple should be told to license its "solely unique" flat screen / bezel etc...if others wish to use it. To say that others are successfully building new phones is a self deceiving lie. THey are simply the next targets of Apple. I love my IPhone and I pad and am considering a mac air, but shudder to think what this phone would have cost in the absence of direct competition.

Let me help you out here: The iPhone WAS the only smart phone in 2007 & 2008. It's the same price now, with and without competition. 

To blow your little ship further out of the water: RIM was a defacto standard in its time and competitors were angling to make their phones more like it. Apple created a new standard in the face of RIM's dominance. They did it not by trying to copy RIM in any way. Any of the old guard could have done the same thing Apple did... the door was wide open for anyone. But, instead they all were trying to knock off RIM with look-alike phones. Everyone; Microsoft, Motorola, Nokia, whoever... were all thinking alike. Now they are mostly doing the same thing, AGAIN.

The competitive process is still open for anyone that has the innovation and the balls to "Think Different."

• Reply 83 of 196

Great Victory for Apple , not because of damage award surely. 1 billion dollar is 15 days of Samsung's profit (or 22 days of Samsung Mobile division profit)  or 8 days of Apple's. However large it may seem (unless it gets tripled, in which case it would one and half month of Samsung;s profit), it is still a slap on the wrist, probably a tighter one.

Samsung played their game, took calculated risks, and are now the most profitable handset manufacturer after Apple, their mobile division seems set to earn more than 15 billion dollar alone current year. In larger context it appears best investment they made. Spending a billion dollar and securing tens of billions of dollars of profit each year. And now they can safely move away from Apple designs ( like S3) and still be profitable. They have earned mind share and stature enough to reap in gold aleast for few years even without any breakthrough designs and products.

• Reply 84 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But even after all that are Samsung going to be better off than say HTC who profited by $350 million for the 2nd calendar quarter? I think everyone else is losing money per quarter as an Android-based vendor. Did Samsung learn anything from their slavish copying that can attribute to original products going forward? Things like fit and finish or industrial design? It's looking to me that their stealing will pay off for them when you consider all variables.

It may seem like their stealing will pay off in the short haul, but this win by Apple may embolden some other manufacturers to sue Samsung for this same thing. Samsung has been especially good at cloning a lot of appliances. Maybe this successful suit will open the floodgates and begin a trend against patent infringement... especially regarding Samsung. 

Samsung will be under a judicial microscope, especially in the USA, and will need to be especially careful in all their future designs or face destructive import embargoes. Microsoft is still having to deal with how it operated in the '80s. Bad boys who earn a reputation carry it for decades.

• Reply 85 of 196
    I hated every cell phone I had until the iPhone.

I had that same experience until I got my 3gs.
  • Reply 86 of 196
    You should read the review on androidpolice website, it fairly positive, but points out many simple faults that could have been corrected/redesigned.
    The problem I feel is that the Asian culture does not have the right tools to create world design. Maybe it's something about western culture having such depth and breadth that makes our manufactures world beaters.
    Just look at the car industry, have you ever seen a truly original gorgeous design come out of any of the Asian manufactures? Maybe one or two, but the rest seem to borrow most of the design cues from western companies.
  • Reply 87 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

I hated every cell phone I had until the iPhone.

Can't count the amount of Windows phones etc. that were "accidentally" dropped, only to buy another one with double the mhz and triple the ram, just to found out it was JUST as unbearable as the old one!

How many times I had to apologize to people that tried to call me, and said "call me again in 5 minutes... just have to reboot my phone". HTC... you're on my list of "never again"! Then again.. I don't need to look for an alternative any more. I have an iPhone now. My second one. Soon a third... ;)

• Reply 88 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I agree that the totality of the evidence is irrefutable - Samsung clearly should have been found guilty. In fact, I felt that way the first time I laid eyes on the Galaxy S.

Having said this, I feel something is wrong when the jurors made up their minds after one day of trial. That's akin to a jury deciding a murder suspect is guilty after seeing gory pictures of blood and guts. I can't help but think that the right verdict emerged from a flawed process.

The jury might have "decided" the case after one day of deliberation (note: this is not 2nd day of the 3 week trial)...

What some people seem to forget (not necessarily including you, talking in general now), is that the jurors have been sitting there for three full weeks listening to evidence and testimonies. They eat dinner every evening, and sleep every night. They think about the case while in the shower in the morning... They have had plenty of time to reflect over this for a very long time... 

The fact is that these jurors have used more of their time to listen to both parties and decide this trial, than most people giving their opinions about what the outcome should have been and how they reached their conclusion. I hardly think any of the comments on this (or any other) website has been thought through for 24 hours before being typed and the "Submit" button clicked. Not even twenty minutes. The average time from end typing to clicking submit is probably in the region of 20 seconds :)

• Reply 89 of 196

I'm content now I understand that most of the annoying sniping at Apple and support for Samsung over this piracy Samsung has been profiting from for years is a result of paid shills that are one of the foundations of Samsung's business strategy: copy, lie, steal. They are so plain to see too, because there is no logic to their argument, they just want to persuade as many weak minded people as they can that theft is legal. 

If Samsung had settled, they would not now be proven cheats;

Apple was trying to settle since 2010;

Apple has licensed its mobile phone technology to Microsoft for some time;

It's got nothing to do with rounded rectangles, but everything to do with the user experience and the layout of the holes and bezel on the front face;

The fact that Samsung did not settle opens it up to punitive damages and contempt of court charges.

That is perhaps why Koh was telling them to settle - she was most likely aiming at Samsung, but if she had said that it could have been interpreted as bias so she had to tell both parties. Samsung has bee the intransigent one here. They are so used to getting their own way through the political influence their Chaebol has in Korea they thought they could do the same in the free world.

Well done jurors.

• Reply 90 of 196

In february of 2010, Samsung had 3% of the Smart Phone business, and a Samsung executive said the following:

"There'll be a big change in our smartphone strategy this year," Shin Jong-kyun, head of Samsung's mobile division told reporters.

And what a change it was... Samsung launched the Galaxy S in June 2010! The most exact Apple iPhone copy the worlds consumers had ever seen.. :(

Now, Samsung has just overtaken Apple and owns 29% of the Smart Phone market. Ten times what it had pre-Galaxy S.

They shipped 42.2 M units in Q1 2012. That's up from 1.6 M units in Q1 of 2010. Just two freakin' years ago!

Samsung has a history, and culture, of copying the most successful player in whichever market they operate or enter into. It's a recipe for success. A calculated risk. An ethical one it is definitely not, but it seems like they don't really care...

The legal system is so overloaded that Samsung can build their brand on copies for a few years first. And even then, they can debate, discuss, use PR, discredit the company they copied from, and make so much money from their copies that it will pay for ANY lawsuit, including lawyer fees, ten times over...

They finally get some of the punishment they deserve, but... I don't think it will change their ways at all. Sadly.

The good news, though, is that in the age of the internet, blogs, tweets and Facebook, the consumer is getting more and more educated. Some, of course not all, consumers want to know what they are buying and where it comes from. At least much more so than a decade or two ago. This is good news for Apple, for the originals, and for the innovators. Just keep doing the right thing, invent and improve, make things better and better. The consumer might not get it at once. But in the end, I believe it will pay off for the likes of Apple and other innovators out there.

PS: I don't like Windows Mobile 7. I personally think Microsoft's last decent operating system was Windows XP (pre-bloatiness). But all in all I do respect Microsoft. They do not have a culture of blatantly copying. They invent. They reflect. They want to make the world a better place too. And for that I respect them.

• Reply 91 of 196
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

The day Apple releases a "smart TV", Samsung will be trying their all to find points where they can sue Apple.

"It's a big black frame that shows moving images! It's our invention!"

• Reply 92 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

You should read the review on androidpolice website, it fairly positive, but points out many simple faults that could have been corrected/redesigned.

The problem I feel is that the Asian culture does not have the right tools to create world design. Maybe it's something about western culture having such depth and breadth that makes our manufactures world beaters.

Just look at the car industry, have you ever seen a truly original gorgeous design come out of any of the Asian manufactures? Maybe one or two, but the rest seem to borrow most of the design cues from western companies.

Japanese car makers employ shedloads of Western designers. The Asian education system is not geared up to stimulating creativity - it is still based on rote learning. I was asked to teach some Chinese students once and was told "it's really easy, they just copy down everything you say; the hard part is getting them to think about it." I also employed a Philipino who had a British University degree (earned in 15 months at Bournemouth University as he had prior qualifications that allowed him to skip most of the 3 year course) and he was totally unable to think for himself: he needed to be instructed, you couldn't even leave him to create a comparison spreadsheet for himself. I've heard it is the same for many other Asian countries, education is fact based, not thought based. Ergo, they make good copiers, lousy thinkers.

That isn't to say there are no creative Asians, there are, look at Yoko Ono or Ai We the designer of Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium and other brilliant works; but en masse, the system is not intended to stimulate thinking, but to manufacture conformity. Anyone with independent thought is sat upon hard - again, just look at Ai We's troubles with the Chinese authorities. In Korea of course, they are still at war with and feel threatened by North Korea, and the South is highly militarised and regimented in everything it does - and if the education system were to produce people with independent thought they might disagree with the government and undermine the whole Korean Nation! And historically, Korea was a bit like the Somalia of the East, a den of piracy that earned its way from pirating passing trade ships in the days of sailing. Now it seems Samsung have just brought the methods up to date - instead of stealing things, they steal ideas.

• Reply 93 of 196
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    glemmestad wrote: »
    In february of 2010, Samsung had 3% of the Smart Phone business, and a Samsung executive said the following:

<span style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans;font-size:14px;line-height:22px;">"There'll be a big change in our smartphone strategy this year," Shin Jong-kyun, head of Samsung's mobile division told reporters.</span>

And what a change it was... Samsung launched the Galaxy S in June 2010!

Now, Samsung has just overtaken Apple and owns 29% of the Smart Phone market. Ten times what it had pre-Galaxy S.
    They shipped 42.2 M units in Q1 2012. That's up from 1.6 M units in Q1 of 2010.

Samsung has a history, and culture, of copying the most successful player in whichever market they operate or enter into. It's a recipe for success. A calculated risk. The legal system is so overloaded that they can build their brand on copies for a few years first. And even then, they can debate, discuss, use PR, discredit the company they copied from, and make so much money from their copies that it will pay for ANY lawsuit, including lawyer fees, ten times over...

PS: I don't like Windows Mobile 7. I personally think Microsoft's last decent operating system was Windows XP (pre-bloatiness). But all in all I do respect Microsoft. They do not have a culture of blatantly copying. They invent. They reflect. They want to make the world a better place too. And for that I respect them.

EDIT (8/26/12, 8:48am EST)

Well that recipe for success, as you know, is about to become a huge legal anchor for anyone thinking about re-heating someone else's hard work. ;)
  • Reply 94 of 196
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

There mere fact that there are other ways to do something doesn't mean you give a company a monopoly on rounded rectangles...especially when it is shown that rounded rectangles were worked on by other companies prior.

Except this was one ruling that went against Apple. Give up on the rounded rectangles already.

• Reply 95 of 196
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Great Victory for Apple , not because of damage award surely. 1 billion dollar is 15 days of Samsung's profit (or 22 days of Samsung Mobile division profit)  or 8 days of Apple's. However large it may seem (unless it gets tripled, in which case it would one and half month of Samsung;s profit), it is still a slap on the wrist, probably a tighter one.

Samsung played their game, took calculated risks, and are now the most profitable handset manufacturer after Apple, their mobile division seems set to earn more than 15 billion dollar alone current year. In larger context it appears best investment they made. Spending a billion dollar and securing tens of billions of dollars of profit each year. And now they can safely move away from Apple designs ( like S3) and still be profitable. They have earned mind share and stature enough to reap in gold aleast for few years even without any breakthrough designs and products.

And that's exactly the injustice of the entire process.

Samsung came from no where to the #1 smart phone manufacturer in the world and are making billions in profits with their blatant copying being a large part of the reason for their success. As you mentioned, they have now built a position where they can stop making knock-offs (and as I've pointed out for weeks, the S3 shows that they're capable of making something that's not a slavish copy). Not only do they get to keep 95% of the ill-gotten profits, but they've now created a market position that will allow them to make many billions more in the future without being sued.

The judgment should have been at least 10 times as large.
  • Reply 96 of 196
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It may seem like their stealing will pay off in the short haul, but this win by Apple may embolden some other manufacturers to sue Samsung for this same thing. Samsung has been especially good at cloning a lot of appliances. Maybe this successful suit will open the floodgates and begin a trend against patent infringement... especially regarding Samsung. 

Samsung will be under a judicial microscope, especially in the USA, and will need to be especially careful in all their future designs or face destructive import embargoes. Microsoft is still having to deal with how it operated in the '80s. Bad boys who earn a reputation carry it for decades.

Looking at post 84 this really is even less of a cost to Samsung than I assumed. Can we assume $1 billion or greater costs from all companies that could sue Samsung for infringing? I'm guess no, not even close. Long run looks like this has worked out for them. We really need more patent reform in this country and elsewhere.
  • Reply 97 of 196

Drug patents expire...which is why we have generics.  The patent on Acetaminophen has long since expired. The drug companies are allowed a certain time to "own" the innovation.  If that were not the case, then there would be no innovation.

• Reply 98 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by ondafence View Post

It's dangerous territory to say that no one can ever create a similar product. That is utter nonsense....and Tylenol would be $3 a pill if that were so, Once a defacto standard has beed defined by penetration / dominance of the marketplace, to simply outlaw any competitive process is rediculous. Even Comcast and Time Warner are required to carry competitors' programming and broadband services under licensure. Apple should be told to license its "solely unique" flat screen / bezel etc...if others wish to use it. To say that others are successfully building new phones is a self deceiving lie. THey are simply the next targets of Apple. I love my IPhone and I pad and am considering a mac air, but shudder to think what this phone would have cost in the absence of direct competition.

They were all different:  As for Tylenol, it was not a good example.  Many drugs were $3 or more per pill when they first came out as it require prescriptions.  Either you pay for it out of the pocket, or your health insurance company is paying it (hence why healthcare is expensive).  When the patent expired, then they made them cheaper.  Only then companies can make similar products with same ingredient.

As for Comcast and Time Warner, again, bad examples.  The reason they were forced to carry competitor contents is because they signed exclusive contracts with each city (so that no other cable companies are allowed in the city)  Because of their contract, they have an obligation to carry competitors' content.  Not because they were "nice guys"

• Reply 99 of 196

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That uh . . . "recipe for success" is about to become a huge legal anchor for anyone thinking about re-heating someone else's hard work.

Your entire post, by the way, translates to: "they copied, but they meant well." You're not very selective with your respect, apparently.

Sarcasm works horribly on the internet. I should have learned that by now! :)

I've edited the original post to better highlight my opinion on this. My comparison of numbers pre/post-Galaxy S for Samsung was meant as an observation on how Samsung was using questionable ethics and horrible business practice, to make money with blatant regard for the law.

There is a saying that goes like this: "Fly with the crows, and expect to get shot at". Samsung, you just got shot at.

• Reply 100 of 196
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Salzberg View Post

Drug patents expire...which is why we have generics.  The patent on Acetaminophen has long since expired. The drug companies are allowed a certain time to "own" the innovation.  If that were not the case, then there would be no innovation.

Lie!

That is done to lower the price of the drugs not to spark innovation.

How photocopying other people work is innovation?

If you want cheap phones with tech made by companies that spend money on it is another thing, but thief is thief. 

They are two unrelated things.