Creator of Apple's 'Get a Mac' campaign departs famous ad agency

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49

Since the ads weren't designed to appeal to tech pundits, the tech pundits panned them as a failure.  The success of the ads are based on whether or not the target audience bought into them, and clearly the ads weren't aimed at tech pundits.  The ads that the pundits have typically touted as successful (those mocking Microsoft Windows) might of been more entertaining but I don't think they sold anymore Macs because of them.  As a hardcore Windows users prior to the iPhone/iPad, I thought the Get a Mac ads were insulting to me as the target audience, and certainly didn't inspire me to consider getting an 'overpriced' Mac.  I only bought a Mac after as a result of my experiences with the iPhone/iPad and trying out Macs at the Apple Store, and it was nice to have a 'genius' to get get me up to speed.  Of course Microsoft is now aping the concept with their stores.

• Reply 22 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Bring back the laptop hunter ads. They were made by the same agency, most likely on Macs.

No no, bring back this ad for Windows Vista:

• Reply 23 of 49
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Ok.

Best of luck to him, I guess.

• Reply 24 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No no, bring back this ad for Windows Vista:

One of the all-time dumbest commercials ever.  WTFrigidaire ????

• Reply 25 of 49
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ideas aren't endless, we see it already with Hollywood. More and more we get sequel after sequel or reboots of classic tales. Superman is getting another reboot:

What Superman leaves con trails now????

• Reply 26 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

You know what? That's what my dad used to say about Steve Jobs: "he got lucky."

Which explains why my dad still plays the lottery every week.

Out of all the successful people on the planet, I don't know how the hell someone would use SJ as an example of someone getting 'lucky'. The guy was extremely unlucky in life (kicked out of his own company, came back, repeatedly ripped off, fought cancer his whole life, died early and painfully) but his successful was due to his sheer force of will, effort, and passion. There was nothing 'lucky' about what he accomplished. Nobody promoted him to a good position. He didn't do it through connections or randomly strike gold. It was all self-made and the reasons for his success can be specifically identified and quantified. 

• Reply 27 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Apologies to the apologists... Apple works hard to avoid public perception, but life inside the company is brutal.

• Reply 28 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple really needs something in play when Windows 8 launches. They have a great opportunity to pull even more PC users to the Mac.

Agreed. Something around 'convergence' might be interesting (recall Cook's very telling comment in the last earnings call about a refrigerator and a toaster).

• Reply 29 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Apple really needs something in play when Windows 8 launches. They have a great opportunity to pull even more PC users to the Mac.

No they don't. Two weeks with windows 8 and folks will be lining up for a Mac, no ads needed
  • Reply 30 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Out of all the successful people on the planet, I don't know how the hell someone would use SJ as an example of someone getting 'lucky'. The guy was extremely unlucky in life (kicked out of his own company, came back, repeatedly ripped off, fought cancer his whole life, died early and painfully) but his successful was due to his sheer force of will, effort, and passion. There was nothing 'lucky' about what he accomplished. Nobody promoted him to a good position. He didn't do it through connections or randomly strike gold. It was all self-made and the reasons for his success can be specifically identified and quantified. 

He believes that Steve was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to start Apple, ignoring the fact that lots of people were in the right place at the right time (silicon valley in the mid-70s). Of course I don't agree with my dad, only because he still believes in astrology and playing the lottery. He really does believe that random chance is the key to fortune. What else can you do when you don't have the skills or the talent or the willingness to take risks?

• Reply 31 of 49
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

He believes that Steve was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to start Apple, ignoring the fact that lots of people were in the right place at the right time (silicon valley in the mid-70s). Of course I don't agree with my dad, only because he still believes in astrology and playing the lottery. He really does believe that random chance is the key to fortune. What else can you do when you don't have the skills or the talent or the willingness to take risks?

LOL at 'right place at the right time' bullshit. All odds were against SJ, and almost every decision he made and product he came out with. Success was eventually attained because of the inherent innovation and extreme quality  of the products he wanted to make. None of that is luck. 

• Reply 32 of 49
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member

Quote:

The guy who directed the 1984 Superbowl ad went on to direct Alien and Bladerunner.

No the guy that directed the 1984 Super Bowl ad had already directed Alien and Bladerunner years earlier. 

• Reply 33 of 49

Quote:

The guy who directed the 1984 Superbowl ad went on to direct Alien and Bladerunner.

Incorrect.

• Reply 34 of 49

Quote:

Remember that guy...whatshisname... that was right there with Steven and Woz in the beginning. He owned a chunk of original Apple stock? At that moment, if luck was what it was, he was just as lucky. But then he cashed out. Took his money and ran. made nothing on his investment. He was playing it safe...

• Reply 35 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by POWERman View Post

I had no problem with the last ad, it reminded me of the things I see in real life all the time with new users. There are lots of witless Mac users out there, most of them being new users. Just be use you start using a Mac doesn't mean you're computer savvy, or even I intelligent at all.

The nerd herd around here needs to stop with the "normal people are stupid" mantra. You come off as the arrogant a-holes everybody already thinks you are. Remember, "real" musicians probably think the same thing of you when you get up at the karaoke bar.

• Reply 36 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    charlituna wrote:
    That's fine for you who knows how to use a computer, but your grandmother might just be a dumbass and wants to learn but she's embarrassed to ask you, you are always busy or worse you have no patience and make her feel like an even bigger dumbass.

I think they did some good things in the ads like not stereotyping old people and the Mac Genius didn't impose himself on others, they were always called on for help but they don't make it clear what a Genius is there for, it doesn't explain that one-to-one costs $99/year, it doesn't explain that you have to book training sessions so if you needed a problem sorted in a hurry, they'd actually be of no use to you.

I don't expect advertising to be accurate, I know they have to just create a theme and a basic point and it could be interpreted that Workshop training beforehand would help you in those kind of situations but I don't think they sent the right tone, especially about what Mac Genius' are like (geeky teenagers/early 20s).

They did a Genius ad before:

[VIDEO]

Nothing wrong with that ad and it clearly explains the situation:

'every Apple Store has a Genius Bar. It's a place where people like [the Genius] will answer any questions you have about your Mac.'

Simple, doesn't make an assumption about the abilities of the user and gets across the point that Apple offers customer support.
  • Reply 37 of 49

It's a freaking advertising agency.  When you create something great, you're a rock star.  When you screw something up, your gone.  And I think it was his time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

All macusers are experts at using Apple computers!

Give me a break.

No matter how simple there is always a learning curve involved.

Kind of feel sorry for this guy. This showed you are as good as your current product or the last great one.

• Reply 38 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin

They did a Genius ad before: 'every Apple Store has a Genius Bar. It's a place where people like [the Genius] will answer any questions you have about your Mac.'

Simple, doesn't make an assumption about the abilities of the user and gets across the point that Apple offers customer support.

Spot on. That's just about it.

PS: Ugh. Why am I unable to get rid of the image of the the video clip in my response to Marvin?

• Reply 39 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Spot on. That's just about it.

PS: Ugh. Why am I unable to get rid of the image of the the video clip in my response to Marvin?

No idea. I erased it by going into the post source. If you ever have that problem again, try going HTML-level.

Cheers.

• Reply 40 of 49
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

The ONLY successful campaign that Scott Trattner ever created in his entire career was "Get a Mac".

ONE campaign that really came from him AND was a success.

This guy is not an ad genius, he got lucky.

Oh, so you worked with him and know this from first hand experience? 

Has to be, I wouldn't dare imagine you pulled that definitive statement of slander out of your ass to justify your own sense of awesomeness.

Also, I lost the links for all of your successful ad work. Could you please repost it here? Everyone would love to see it.