Creator of Apple's 'Get a Mac' campaign departs famous ad agency

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So genius is now defined as having multiple commercial successes? That's a new one on me.
    Also new to me is how you define such a structured campaign with many dozens of videos across at least two continents as lucky. I tend to associate luck as something you guess at or just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Considering the number of variables for such a lengthy campaign it's hard to imagine it was all simply dumb luck with no actual knowledge, insight or critical thinking on his part to make this brilliant campaign.
    Apple really needs something in play when Windows 8 launches. They have a great opportunity to pull even more PC users to the Mac.

Both ads sucked.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Is the "Ads of the World" website believable? Not much seems to be attributable to Scott Trattner there, as far as executive leadership. I'd be far more worried about losing some of the other folk.

http://adsoftheworld.com/creative/scott_trattner

For one, Eric Greenbaum seems more responsible than Trattner for many of the ads, including the "Get a Mac" ads.

http://adsoftheworld.com/creative/eric_grunbaum

• Reply 43 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Anybody else notice that the new-and-improved 9to5 mac.com for retina displays seems to present sub-par imagery now to non-retina browsers? Of course pages load faster then.

• Reply 44 of 49
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Reverse that. Ridley Scott had already directed those films before the 1984 ad was conceived. I'd wager it was his fame with dystopian and/or sic-fi directing that got him the 1984 gig.

Correct.  He did a great job directing and his DP did a great job shooting.  Someone from the ad agency came up with the concept and the story.  Credit where it's due and all that.

• Reply 45 of 49

I work in advertising.  The success or failure of a campaign has a lot to do with the director - not just the guys at the ad agency.  Phil Morrison directed the "Get a Mac" campaign films - he's a great director and the performances made the films funny and memorable.  The director of the "Genius" campaign has never been revealed in any trade publication.  Those scripts may have worked had the casting been batter, the performances not so manic and amateurish...  Sometimes things work - sometimes they don't. 

• Reply 46 of 49
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Exactly.

Some articles are trying to make out that the ads were yanked cause they are shit and he was fired. When the truth could be that they were never ment to be long term and he was leaving ages ago and just finished this one last job. Hell Ron Johnson stayed for several weeks after he announced his plan to leave. Same game possibly.

That is most likely what happened.  In advertising it takes a while to move from one agency to another and most talent will finish any ongoing campaign before leaving.

Also, let's not forget that Apple had to approve every stage of the development of these spots.  They approved the pitch.  They approved the budget.  They probably approved the director and the onscreen talent.  Finally they had to approve the final spot before it aired.  So while the spot was Mr. Trattner's invention it's fate was utterly in the hands of someone at Apple.  Maybe that is the person who should be held responsible?  Oh wait, that never happens in advertising.

• Reply 47 of 49

I'm sorry, but how many of you bashing Trattner's work have actually worked in advertising, and had experienced how an ad agency's creative department works? I apologize for sounding so harsh, but it's not very fair judging a man's ability if you've never worked in his field.

Also, the name of the agency is TBWA\Media Arts Lab, not TNWA, as written at the beginning of the article.

• Reply 48 of 49

I can't beleve the extent of discussion on this topic but my Two Cents are:

In the media world 1 "Oh Sh*t" wipes out 10 " At A Boy"

• Reply 49 of 49
    powerman wrote: »
    There are lots of witless Mac users out there, most of them being new users. Just be use you start using a Mac doesn't mean you're computer savvy, or even I intelligent at all.

Totally agree. We who read these blogs live in a bubble, and think everyone else finds computing as fluid as us.