OS X Mountain Lion passes 10% adoption in one month, on track to outperform Lion

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mactel wrote: »
    I'm just still wondering when Apple will drop the bomb and just have one OS.

I guess anything could happen but there is absolutely nothing that indicates that would happen. They released Lion in 2011 and Mountain Lion a year later. They've also just upped their game with a move toward Retina displays when no other PC maker is even close to that. Apple is by far the most profitable PC maker and it accounts for a huge portion of their quarterly revenue profits so it would be absolutely bonkers to stop making Macs and Mac OS.

On top of that, the Mac makes the iOS experience much better so why not capitalize on that union. On topper of that, the Mac is still growing much faster than the PC market. On topperer of that, this is the same fear people had when the iPod got popular despite the continued efforts and growth of the Mac line.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    With a cost under $20 and such an easy upgrade process I am surprised that number isn't higher. Are my expectations really too high?

There are always going to be people taking the conservative route. Likely for as many different reasons as there re people.

In my case I jumped right in only hours after it became available. Honestly it is a great update fixing many outstanding issues. I can't really say that it has zero problems but it is so good that I don't let the glitches bother me.

So I don't think your expectations are too high it is just that the word hasn't gotten out there. Mountain Lion is a very worthwhile update.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    msuberly wrote: »
    I wish that I had not upgraded my late-2009 iMac to Lion. I lost a lot of data that I thought was backed up. What would be the benefit of upgrading this computer to ML? There are a few new features but I recall most of those are limited to newer systems. I do not plan to buy a new computer for a while.

It is a very worthwhile update, don't blame data loss on a system update, that blame sits squarely with the updater. I really like Mountain Lion on my 2008 MBP. If you want to know what is new, Apple clearly lays that out so check the ML web site. All in all it is snappier with many enhanced apps, what is not to like?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    mstone wrote: »
    I have a long list of complaints but I don't want to upset the troops and rally them into defense so I'll leave it at I don't like Apple's methodical restriction and control tactics. It displeases me, the direction that things are going with their market dominance obsession.

My god man grow up! Mac OS has never dominated anything. It isn't a question of upsetting the troops, it is the problem that your comments are based on ignorance. There are more than a few products out there that I could could come up with list of complaints about but I don't want to fill my mind with negativity. Instead dwell on what Apple is doing positively with respect to Mac OS.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    I guess anything could happen but there is absolutely nothing that indicates that would happen. They released Lion in 2011 and Mountain Lion a year later. They've also just upped their game with a move toward Retina displays when no other PC maker is even close to that. Apple is by far the most profitable PC maker and it accounts for a huge portion of their quarterly revenue profits so it would be absolutely bonkers to stop making Macs and Mac OS.
    I agree 100%. If anything is see Mac OS becoming more advanced and capable. Frankly I kinda wish that Apple would come up with a local iCloud solution. That is a solution that allows you to set up na iCloud node locally on your network or Mac. The idea being to be able to share private data without the exposure to Apples systems nor the issues with wider network reliability.
    On top of that, the Mac makes the iOS experience much better so why not capitalize on that union.
    People grossly underestimate just how important this is. The synergy between iOS and Mac OS is a powerful sales driver.
    On topper of that, the Mac is still growing much faster than the PC market. On topperer of that, this is the same fear people had when the iPod got popular despite the continued efforts and growth of the Mac line.

Yeah this is a total wonder. I mean if Mac was failing in the marketplace it would be one thing. However Mac isn't failing, it is reality getting far more capable and attracting a wider array of professional software. Frankly Mac OS's acceptance in the marketplace is growing rapidly, something Apple has worked on for years. Apples efforts are paying off handsomely.
  • Reply 46 of 54

I'm not surprised about that, Lion is really a mess, so update to Mountain Lion is an obvious move, I wish I have never moved from Snow Leopard.

By the way, there are no really big improvements between all these systems.

I will be surprised when Apple addresses one of the big fails of OS X, the really poor multimonitor support, is really idiot to have one app on each one, but to have to go to the main monitor to use the app menus!?!

There are some tools out there to overcome this, but they are far from working well.

• Reply 47 of 54

I use both operating systems.  I have good reasons for not upgrading machines to 10.7:

- VM tuning is very different.  Inactive RAM hangs around and it seems that idle processes can no longer page out.  Maybe this makes small apps more responsive but large apps (software development tools, databases, server software) run extremely slowly when they need temporary memory.

- Autosave in Apple apps strains the old filesystem.  Apple apps and disk intensive apps don't get along.

- Autosave is extremely dangerous with shared filesystems.  If you don't "Undo" every change (intentional or accidental) it becomes permanent with no way to revert.

- Autosave is extremely dangerous in that the Undo history is easily detached from the file.

- Autosave has a problem with saving accidental changes so Apple decided that changes made immediately before closing a document should be discarded.  This is very confusing.

- Autosave causes applications that monitor file updates to see incomplete changes.  This includes source control systems, config files, and even a lot of Apple software.

- Find & Replace in Apple apps requires clicking on a very tiny checkbox with the mouse.

- Lots of bugs in creating WiFi networks, including encryption turning itself off.

- The built-in SD card reader doesn't work reliably

- iChat not compatible with VPN

- New iOS features lead to the old Windows Vista "where the @$# did my file go" experience

- iOS GUI components are dumb and clumsy for a desktop computer

- Time Machine goes into mobile mode and makes a huge mess of hidden files

- Hidden Library folder.  Many apps rely on this being a user-controlled directory for installing features.

- 10.7 Server lobotomized

- iCal lobotomized

Even if there were no issues, there aren't many compelling features for a techie like me in 10.7 and 10.8:

- Still no modern filesystem

- iCloud is still lame

- Time machine still makes a mess on the backup disk

- Nothing got faster

- Don't want social apps integrated with the operating system

- QuickTime X is still obsolete

• Reply 48 of 54
    What I'd really like to see is Mail not asking for passwords over and over. Also Mail alert sounds for new mail and the sent 'whoosh' sound to actually work after waking from sleep.

I'm using 10.8.1 on a quad core iMac less than two months old. Apple really should sort these annoying and known bugs out before releasing new versions of OS X.
  • Reply 49 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

No surprise of course.  I'm just still wondering when Apple will drop the bomb and just have one OS.  Microsoft always flubs it up.  Apple knows not to do it in haste.  At some point they will make the decision to cut OSX off.  Maybe after 10.9.  There just isn't a lot of excitement in the desktop OS market as we can see.  

When Apple sells their own TV we'll know that OSX is on its last leg.  When people are carrying either an iPhone or iPad and then come home to a iBoobTube then why will they need their iMac anymore?  

My company is half Macs and half Windows desktops, but those days are numbered.  Eventually tablets will take over then it is iPad or wannabe.  For the high end Apple can pack a lot of power into a Mini case and run the iOS with all the power apps people want.  iOS and all the iWork and iLife apps that Apple will update with it will be telling where Apple is placing its bets.  Besides the minor upgrade of iWork to integrate with iCloud, iWork hasn't been upgraded for a darn long time on the Mac.  That should give folks a clue.

I think OSX has a lot of life left in it, possibly a couple decades. But if OSX goes away, it won't be because of iOS, but something too new and unique to be imagined yet. If you went back to 1970, you'd see almost none of those operating systems made it to today. Maybe only Cray's and IBM's mainfrane OS are the only ones still around. So, I have agree that operating systems have a useful life span, but it's upheavals in hardware that out-date the OS more then anything. Who'd ever have imagined in 1975 that a thin little laptop would have a 64 bit OS and several gigs of RAM pumping away at over a GB of speed. 

• Reply 50 of 54

Last night I updated my iMac to the first ML patch and encountered my first issue with ML shortly after. The screen suddenly froze and while the cursor moved around just fine, clicking any buttons on any of the open windows didn't work. The Notifications pane was partially open as well. Luckily I had my MBP on nearby so I logged in remotely to my iMac using Logmein and that seemed to do the trick - my screen 'un-froze' and I was able to use the iMac again without having to do a hard reboot.

• Reply 51 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    slurpy wrote: »
    How exactly would Apple advertise 10.8? TV ads? I can't see them putting focus on it as a standalone product. Adoption will come as new macs sell. Honestly I think theres a huge contigent of mac users that won't update out of pure ignorance. This is the thing with Desktop OSes. Most people not in the know don't really give a shit. They use the browser/email/FB and for them not much will improve their workflow. 

Apple sent out an email to Mac owners. It is given top billing in the App store. Given the price of the upgrade, maybe it wouldn't have much of an ad budget associated with the project. Are there signs for ML in the stores?

I do have a buddy that doesn't upgrade operating systems unless there's a new feature he really needs or wants an app that requires the new OS. He won't update his iOS even though it has iMessage and alternate routes in Maps, something he thought was nice, but not enough to bother with a simple, free update. I find this resistance to upgrades to be annoying, especially when someone asks how to do something, and I describe a feature they don't have because they couldn't be bothered to install a free upgrade.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jacktherat wrote: »
    What I'd really like to see is Mail not asking for passwords over and over. Also Mail alert sounds for new mail and the sent 'whoosh' sound to actually work after waking from sleep.
    I'm using 10.8.1 on a quad core iMac less than two months old. Apple really should sort these annoying and known bugs out before releasing new versions of OS X.

You need to get your OS looked at. None of these things are inherent to Mountain Lion and have existed for some users for some reason for some version of Mac OS X.

Last night I updated my iMac to the first ML patch and encountered my first issue with ML shortly after. The screen suddenly froze and while the cursor moved around just fine, clicking any buttons on any of the open windows didn't work. The Notifications pane was partially open as well. Luckily I had my MBP on nearby so I logged in remotely to my iMac using Logmein and that seemed to do the trick - my screen 'un-froze' and I was able to use the iMac again without having to do a hard reboot.

That sounds like a one-time thing. LogMeIn does some funky things with low-level code, at least on Windows. I know when installing it on Windows the display will go blank and then flicker back up after a moment. While that doesn't happen when installing it on a Mac i have to assume it does put things in places that aren't standard. Outside of /Applications I can only find evidence of it in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins but it does appear to gain root access so I guess anything can happen.

jeffdm wrote: »
    Apple sent out an email to Mac owners. It is given top billing in the App store. Given the price of the upgrade, maybe it wouldn't have much of an ad budget associated with the project. Are there signs for ML in the stores?
    I do have a buddy that doesn't upgrade operating systems unless there's a new feature he really needs or wants an app that requires the new OS. He won't update his iOS even though it has iMessage and alternate routes in Maps, something he thought was nice, but not enough to bother with a simple, free update. I find this resistance to upgrades to be annoying, especially when someone asks how to do something, and I describe a feature they don't have because they couldn't be bothered to install a free upgrade.

To me that's not bad. There is something to the whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality... even if we here are unlikely to prescribe to it. At least his reasoning seems grounded and rational, which isn't something I can say for most people that want to hold onto an aging mobile OS.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    To me that's not bad. There is something to the whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality... even if we here are unlikely to prescribe to it. At least his reasoning seems grounded and rational, which isn't something I can say for most people that want to hold onto an aging mobile OS.

I agree there is some merit to it, given experiences that people sometimes have with upgrading their desktop OSs. I usually wait a couple bug fix rounds or a year, whichever is longer. The last few rounds on MacOS have been painless though, just use SuperDuper or similar to make an off-line backup first to be safe.
  • Reply 54 of 54

For me, ML has been a seamless upgrade for the most part.  The battery issue has been my only complaint.  Would have been nice if my 2009 MBP supported all of the new features, but that is to be expected.