'iPhone 5,' 'iPad mini' among 8 new Apple products coming before end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moustache View Post

I am still hoping for an iPod classic redesign... Been holding off in purchasing old technology... Just need the 160gb but hate the old style OS on it.

Not only is this unlikely, it's quite likely that this is the very event in which the classic will be put out to pasture for good.  I'm pretty sure that all the sales of all the "non-touch" iPods combined doesn't even equal the sales of the nano, which itself is the slowest selling of all the touch based models.  

• Reply 22 of 97
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

I read today Samsung was showing of a 13" laptop with 2560x1440 resolution at IFA, so the MacBook 13" Retina seem certain, as the display is the most technically challenging feature of it.

• Reply 23 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjf77 View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Where is the Mac Mini in all of this??  The current one is well over a year old and needs a refresh too.  On top of that B&H Photo has constrained availability on some models lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter View Post

I have a feeling it's coming but as has been said before, it will be updated quietly. My optimism is starting to grow upon hearing these rumors since we're not hearing about stupid lawsuit garbage for the time being.

Retina Cinema is likely the gating factor.  they've got to get the iMac's and Mac Pro out first and a RD display.  The mini is that uber niche product (people too small to need a Mac Pro, too 'PCified' to go with the iMac, or likely have a MacBookAir/Pro for 'most of their computing) so I can see why they will tail end the update.

• Reply 24 of 97
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

It's Apple. They'll figure it out. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ry L View Post

You're assuming that it will stay all metal.  If they give it Wi-Fi, they'll redesign it so housing isn't all metal. 

I'm not saying it's impossible.  Just that I have doubts as to how easy this would be to do, and also what the point of it would be.  

I would expect it will get Bluetooth 4 which will be far more useful than Wi-Fi.  I mean all Wi-Fi would do for it as a music player is allow you to stream rather than load the music onto it, but in most of the situations where the nano would actually be used, Wi-Fi isn't going to be available.  Even if it is, how do you join the network at the Gym or the coffee shop?  How do you type in the password or authorise it with your credit card like a lot of places make you?  And if you are instead exercising in your living room at home, why not just turn on the radio?  

I just don't think a good reason for the nano to get Wi-Fi has really been elucidated yet even though lots of folks assume it will get it.  It makes much more sense to me for it to focus on connecting to your phone seamlessly with Bluetooth and using the communications capabilities on the phone.  

• Reply 25 of 97
    focherfocher Posts: 688member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I’d have doubted a tweak to the iPad 3, but keeping a consistent dock connector makes sense. (They might even tweak the iPad 2! Probably not—just drop it and let the Mini fill in the bottom end for now.)

As the iPad 2 is still outselling the new iPad, and seems to be critical in the education market, I don't foresee Apple dropping that form factor at that price point. Who knows what they'll do in regards to the connector, though.

• Reply 26 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I would expect it will get Bluetooth 4 which will be far more useful than Wi-Fi.  

Bluetooth and WiFi come together, as pretty much all available Broadcom silicon from for one includes the other. And Apple has pretty clearly moved completely to Broadcom for their wireless radios.

• Reply 27 of 97

Apple TV (set top) update?

• Reply 28 of 97

I'm suspicious about Apple releasing different form factors in the same family at different times, at least so close together. For example, releasing an updated 21.5 inch iMac and then the 27 inch one month later? That makes no sense

What does make sense is Apple changing every device using the 30 pin connector over to the new 9 pin in as short a time as possible. Holiday sales of new accessories will be icing on the cake of another blowout financial performance.

• Reply 29 of 97
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member

Crikey. I'm going to go broke. Don't see a mac pro in here. Thought Tim promised us one (although maybe I remembering it slipped to 2013.)

The rumor about the nano going to a non-wristwatch size is troublesome. Seems like that would be a sign AAPL is abandoing that market to the other makers - Pebble etc. A full up, touchscreen watch size *iOS6 capable* nano would be a killer. Apps for that would go nuts. Don't see a use for a pocket sized one like the old mini.

• Reply 30 of 97

this really looks like a summation of a lot of Apple 'obfuscation' leaks rolled into one.   Apple Security probably is probably seeding the far east with plausible planted stories...

And...

You guys do realize that if there aren't two Ming-Chi Kuo's, his former employer was DigiTimes...

Quote:

BGR.com: July, 2010:  Mingchi Kuo, a senior analyst at Digitimes Research[...]

• Reply 31 of 97
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I'm still not sold on the iPod nano getting Wi-Fi.  

The entire housing is metal, and the screen has metal shielding behind it.  It's basically a tiny metal box, the absolute worst possible form factor for Wi-Fi reception.  It's also so small that even if they find a way to put an antenna inside that actually has some reception, it's likely to lose that reception as it moves around the Wi-Fi zone in that it would be much more <span style="font-family:Helvetica;font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">susceptible</span>
     to skip and interference from even small metallic objects in the room with it.  

Never mind.
  • Reply 32 of 97

No new Mac mini or Mac Pro, when this is technically the first quarter of 2013 for Apple?

The Retina Display 27" will force Apple to put an AMD 7000 series GPGPU in the Mini and that level in the Mac Pro or the option of an equivalent Nvidia box leaving the Intel 4000 out of the picture. For it to be a true 4K panel the only GPGPU that supports that is from AMD starting with the 7750 and up.

• Reply 33 of 97

According to this estimated timeline, the new 21.5" iMac and 13" rMBP are due to launch at end of August. That would be ... today?

• Reply 34 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

As the iPad 2 is still outselling the new iPad, ...

Is it? Do you have a source for that?

• Reply 35 of 97
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Don't see a mac pro in here. Thought Tim promised us one (although maybe I remembering it slipped to 2013.)

He never promised it this year. Next year.

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Is it? Do you have a source for that?

"Making it up", I think.

• Reply 36 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Retina Cinema is likely the gating factor.  they've got to get the iMac's and Mac Pro out first and a RD display.  The mini is that uber niche product (people too small to need a Mac Pro, too 'PCified' to go with the iMac, or likely have a MacBookAir/Pro for 'most of their computing) so I can see why they will tail end the update.

What's a Retina Camera?

• Reply 37 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

OMG!! So many electronic goodies!!! I have my wallet at the ready. My sights are trained and my hands are in position to swipe. On September 12th I will have my 2010 MBP in front of me to preorder as much gadget goodness as they introduce. There has been a drought in the land. I will dance in the Apple rain when it comes. At least as long as nothing big drops on my head. LOL.

Nothing personal intended... but your name made me laugh...  reminded me of an old friend:  Cojones.

• Reply 38 of 97
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member

Apple should have focussed in bringing different models of the iPhone.  That where the money is.  They should have kept the same aspect ratio and produced 4.0-4.5", 4.5-5" versions, in addition to the 3.5" version.  Just 1 color to simplify inventory and only 2 memory choices.  The smartphone market is huge and different people want different sizes.  They boxy design in uncomfortable to hold... need something ergonomic and easy to hold like the 3GS model.  

Apple is not going to win in the courthouse, unless they can deliver a knock-out blow to Google/Android - not likely.  At worst, Google will pay a multi-billion fine and modify Android so as not to infringe.  Meanwhile, Samsung comes up with new models before the courts can even deal with the old models.  

Apple has to innovate to compete with the entire Android value chain.  They take 1+ years to come with a new iPhone model and they look like the old iPhone!!!  Management is becoming are too fat, dumb and happy now.

• Reply 39 of 97

I would love it if there was a "one more thing ..." at the September event. How about beating Google Glasses to the punch? I know, that's probably dreaming, but it would be pretty fantastic.

• Reply 40 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

WiFi in the iPod nano. That's interesting. Guess you'll be able to sync it with iCloud.

Of course what would be really interesting is if they brought Siri to it. An internet connection would make that a possibility and the ability to operate such a small product with voice would be very useful. Although the need to be within range of a WiFi network is a serious limitation.

I got a free nano to replace the one that had the possibility of catching fire (2 years after I bought it).  I bought a watchband case and gave it to my youngest grandson -- an amazing device.

So, they may add WiFi... Next thing you know they'll add a cell radio and, we'll finally have arrived at this idea from the 1950's:

BTW, Dick Tracy's wrist radio had a wire as an external antenna that ran up his arm and was taped to his skin  :)