Apple's new iMac expected to be redesigned without Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Sorry.  After seeing the Macbook Pro retina...the 27 inch iMac display/resolution pales.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I have a 27" iMac in front of me and saw a Retina MBP at the store downtown.  

I agree.  The MBPr is much nicer.

• Reply 82 of 130
    The iMac screen is gorgeous and the next one will be better. Retina display? Seems pretty irrelevant on a screen of that size right now.

I just wish theyd hurry ip and release the thing as Im currently relying on an iPad. Fine for what it is nut a bit like living off pretzels when youre in need if a decent dinner.
  • Reply 83 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by womblingfree View Post

The iMac screen is gorgeous and the next one will be better. Retina display? Seems pretty irrelevant on a screen of that size right now.

I just wish theyd hurry ip and release the thing as Im currently relying on an iPad. Fine for what it is nut a bit like living off pretzels when youre in need if a decent dinner.

Heh.  I feel for you; the iPad is great, but there is a limit.

I didn't mean to imply the screen isn't good, just the MBPr was better.  I love my iMac and we are looking at getting another one at some point...

• Reply 84 of 130
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If the iMac does come with a retina screen, I suspect anybody that looks at it will be immediately hooked on the screen. People can dismiss it before hand but seeing would generate converts.

As it is I suspect that the rumors of no retina are true. Most likely Apple is the source trying to moderate expectations.

Heh.  I feel for you; the iPad is great, but there is a limit.

I didn't mean to imply the screen isn't good, just the MBPr was better.  I love my iMac and we are looking at getting another one at some point...
  • Reply 85 of 130

And you can always tell who's typing on an iPad as the spelling and punctuation is 10x worse.

iMac retina display would be nice, but its way down my list of wants, and nowhere on my list of needs.
  • Reply 86 of 130

how retina useful?

• Reply 87 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    fatusmiles wrote: »
    how retina useful?

Dude, posting on a forum isn't an instant message.

For most people retina is a nice luxury. If you work on any drawings, images, video or publishing, it's beneficial to show the added detail to make problems less likely to to be hidden by aliasing errors.
  • Reply 88 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by shen View Post

iMac in Sept huh?

I need one Tuesday, that is September, right? What do you think my odds are?

zero

I have a late 06 iMac that is beginning to fall apart.  It's almost 2 years since the last one was announced.

I'm losing patience!  

• Reply 89 of 130
    elmodog wrote: »
    [SIZE=14px]zero[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]I have a late 06 iMac that is beginning to fall apart.  It's almost 2 years since the last one was announced.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14px]I'm losing patience![/SIZE][SIZE=14px]  [/SIZE]

I didn't realize that 17 months was almost two years.

But yes, I got annoyed that a new model supposedly wasn't going to be released until 2013, so bought a reconditioned model in June. They could have at least done a refresh to the latest chips, in my opinion.
  • Reply 90 of 130

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

But yes, I got annoyed that a new model supposedly wasn't going to be released until 2013, so bought a reconditioned model in June. They could have at least done a refresh to the latest chips, in my opinion.

I don't see how they can post anywhere near meaningful numbers if they don't release a new iMac and Mac Mini before the holiday season starts…

I'm still hoping that not updating to Ivy Bridge at availability means one of two things: full redesign+retina or Haswell early+retina… 

• Reply 91 of 130
    I don't see how they can post anywhere near meaningful numbers if they don't release a new iMac and Mac Mini before the holiday season starts…

I'm still hoping that not updating to Ivy Bridge at availability means one of two things: full redesign+retina or Haswell early+retina… 

I don't know myself, I was just going by what an Apple exec supposedly told David Pogue;

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/150635/apple-exec-suggests-new-imacs-may-not-come-till-2013

Apple's computer updates aren't set in stone, so it could still be this year, even next Tuesday if the timing is right
  • Reply 92 of 130

OK.  Lots of talk about displays. I want to ask about CPU... and GPU.

What kind of performance boost would we see with an Ivy Bridge?  

Would they likely upgrade the GPU?

What would the combined impact on video rendering be?  I work with animation and would like to speed up rendering (I'm on a 3.4GHz SSD model iMac now and average 20 minutes per scene to render (I could always buy a MacPro, but I will hold off until 2013 when the new thing arrives).  The app I use is 64 bit and GPU accelerated.

• Reply 93 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

10% like the last, what, five? No jumps to write home about until Haswell. Of course the GPU's getting an update.

• Reply 94 of 130
    OK.  Lots of talk about displays. I want to ask about CPU... and GPU.

Raw CPU performance improvements aren't all that great unless new instructions are used. The big advantage with Ivy Bridge is vastly improved hardware outside of the CPU. One of those improvements is the GPU which supposedly supports OpenCL.
    Would they likely upgrade the GPU?
    Well you would think so but then there is the "new" Mac Pro. It should be noted that the newest GPUs vastly improve thermals so they ought to be high priority in an iMac.
    What would the combined impact on video rendering be?  I work with animation and would like to speed up rendering (I'm on a 3.4GHz SSD model iMac now and average 20 minutes per scene to render (I could always buy a MacPro, but I will hold off until 2013 when the new thing arrives).  The app I use is 64 bit and GPU accelerated.

The impact could be profound. However since we have no idea what the new Mac is like it would be total guess work to say anything in this regard.
  • Reply 95 of 130
    10% like the last, what, five? No jumps to write home about until Haswell. Of course the GPU's getting an update.

The general purpose CPU performance isn't that great but over all Ivy Bridge would be a huge win for the desktop Macs. The faster GPU with the potential for OpenCL support, USB 3 and other features makes for a pretty significant improvement over Sandy Bridge.
  • Reply 96 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If they can skip the Mac Pro 'hahahahhahaha' "update" then why not the iMac?

Ivy offers nominal cpu performance upgrade with 'better' (not great) gpu performance which still kind of sucks compared to any cheap, mainstream gpu.  Take out Retina (Which probably won't make it..?) and you're left with a 'meh' update.  USB 3?  Already has Thunderbird.  Whoop de doo.

Wait for Retina, Haswell (with it's less 'meh' gpu performance.  Now we're talking about a decent update all of a sudden...) and a much better gpu included as well.

I am.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 97 of 130

2013, the year of the desktop Mac?

Sorry.  Couldn't resist.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 98 of 130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Quote:

Well they might as well piss off the rest of the desktop using community.    

Ivy offers nominal cpu performance upgrade with 'better' (not great) gpu performance which still kind of sucks compared to any cheap, mainstream gpu.  Take out Retina (Which probably won't make it..?) and you're left with a 'meh' update.  USB 3?  Already has Thunderbird.  Whoop de doo.

Quote:

It sucks pretty bad to AMDs old APUs not to mention Trinity, Intels GPU performance is nothing to write home about but it is improved in Ivy Bridge.   Improved enough that casual users might not be turned off by it.

As to USB 3, it has nothing to do with Thunderbolt.   Thunderbird is for guys on skid row.

In any event Apple could have a very significant update to the iMac if it wanted.   It isn't always about the CPU you know.    Refactor iMacs hardware and get serious about solid state secondary storage and the iMac could become a hot design.

Wait for Retina, Haswell (with it's less 'meh' gpu performance.  Now we're talking about a decent update all of a sudden...) and a much better gpu included as well.

I am.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Well possibly if you believe Intels marketing and leaks.    In the past we have found that all of Intels good intentions don't always yield go result for the general user.    It is a given that Haswell will be better than past hardware, that generally happens with Intel, but how much better is an open discussion.

As a side note/question, how does one properly respond into a the middle of the quoted text with the new rich text editor on Safari running on a Mac?    I'm at my Mac at the moment and frankly have been doing most of my posting from my iPad.   On the iPad it is easy to respond to parts of a quoted piece but I've found no easy way to do that on Safari on the Mac other than to go to "source" mode.    This is not cool at all.   Using quote just makes for a mess seen above.    

• Reply 99 of 130

I think USB 3 is a big deal. Thunderbolt is a nice concept, but the peripherals are prohibitively expensive for consumers and pretty scare. A Thunderbolt cable costs as much as a good USB 3 hard drive enclosure, which also includes a USB 3 cable.

Ivy runs cooler too.
  • Reply 100 of 130
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Does IB's heat issue come into play here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#Heat_issue_when_overclocked