First pictures of alleged next-gen iPhone battery compare part with iPhone 4S

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A fresh set of images posted on Tuesday claim to show the battery Apple will use in its upcoming iPhone, and offer a size comparison with the unit found in the current iPhone 4S.

Coming on the heels of Apple's Sept. 12 special event announcement many believe is related to a next-generation iPhone, the images from repair site iResQ (via MacRumors) claim to show the handset's battery, one of the last remaining parts to be photographed amid a firestorm of supposed leaks.

The battery is apparently a "perfect fit" with the previously-leaked "uni-body" chassis, with the alleged part taking residence to the left of the logic board which was also recently pictured in August. In a side-by-side comparison with its current-generation counterpart, the supposed next-gen battery is taller and claims an output of 5.45 watt-hours at 3.8 volts, slightly higher than the 5.3 watt-hours at 3.7 volts on the iPhone 4S.

According to the repair firm, the so-called iPhone 5's battery is a little less than one half inch taller than the iPhone 4S unit, with both parts appearing to have equal thickness. The new battery also uses a different connector that is located opposite to the one on the iPhone 4S, most likely a result of the part's new positioning.

iPhone 5 Battery
Image of purported iPhone 5 battery. | Source: iResQ

If the images are legitimate, Apple appears to be taking advantage of the extra internal space created by a switch to a larger 4-inch screen. While the exact power requirements of the expected in-cell display are unknown, the sixth-generation iPhone may see similar battery life when compared to current models due to power hungry LTE chips thought to be included in the upcoming handset.

Battery Comparison

Apple is widely expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone at a Sept. 12 event, the invitations for which just went out today. The simple invites read "It's almost here" and include the number "12" denoting the event's date as well the number "5," possibly pointing to the official name of Apple's upcoming handset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Hopefully it's enough to improve upon the 4s battery life. But something tells me with the larger screen and possible 4g capabilities, that it might be equal to if not less than.
  • Reply 2 of 30

Anybody have an idea what the open compartment on the back is?  Opposite the flash and camera?

Bring on the LTE!

• Reply 3 of 30

Marginal increase in size for a taller display, more power hungry LTE (even though there is a die shrink in 2nd gen radios) and a possible 32nm die shrink for the A(x) processor.  My guess?  Same battery life as the 4S. Which to say isn't all that great.  

• Reply 4 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a side-by-side comparison with its current-generation counterpart, the supposed next-gen battery is taller and claims an output of 5.45 watt-hours at 3.5 volts, slightly higher than the 5.3 watt-hours at 3.7 volts on the iPhone 4S.

Shouldn't that read 5.45 watt-hours at 3.8 volts (not 3.5), you know, like the image of the battery states?

• Reply 5 of 30
    Marginal increase in size for a taller display, more power hungry LTE (even though there is a die shrink in 2nd gen radios) and a possible 32nm die shrink for the A(x) processor.  My guess?  Same battery life as the 4S. Which to say isn't all that great.  

But what about that doohickey in the back and the whatchamacallit in the front?

Jk

Yeah I figured as much. Love apple but I do wish we could get just a bit more life out of the battery in the iPhones. Either way I'll always have a car charger on hand . . . Dammit ....9pin dock connector lol

Good thing I bought a USB outlet charger. Just transfer the cord over.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    If the processor isn't too power hungry compared to the one on the 4S, it seems logical that the battery only scales proportionally with the screen size. With some new minor battery tech improvement it may even better.

Edit : oh yeah forgot about LTE...
  • Reply 7 of 30

Well I guess I can't complain about people calling it the iPhone 5 now.

• Reply 8 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Anybody have an idea what the open compartment on the back is?  Opposite the flash and camera?

Bring on the LTE!

Maybe the finger print reader? I don't know but that was something that was rumored I think.

Or maybe the LCD screen controller will go there.

• Reply 9 of 30

Wasn't it determined that the total volume of the next iPhone was getting smaller despite the added length? If that's the case, increasing the battery size at all is impressive.

• Reply 10 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Those a factor but I'm expecting a longer lasting battery overall.

PS: I believe this is the 3rd gen LTE chips, but 2nd gen Qualcomm Gobi chips for this die shrink.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wasn't it determined that the total volume of the next iPhone was getting smaller despite the added length? If that's the case, increasing the battery size at all is impressive.

I know I speculated that it might be but I certainly didn't do any math and I haven't seen any math on it.

It should also be noted that measuring internal volume is important, too. I can't see how that metal casing on the back will be even close to the same thickness of the current bak glass. Add to that the rumoured hinner glass of the new design and you might have more volume or even more internal height that in the current model.
  • Reply 12 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I know I speculated that it might be but I certainly didn't do any math and I haven't seen any math on it.

It should also be noted that measuring internal volume is important, too. I can't see how that metal casing on the back will be even close to the same thickness of the current bak glass. Add to that the rumoured hinner glass of the new design and you might have more volume or even more internal height that in the current model.

Very true, internal volume is key to understanding how battery capacity/size could be increased while also decreasing entire external volume.

• Reply 13 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

. . . Dammit ....9pin dock connector lol Good thing I bought a USB outlet charger. Just transfer the cord over.

I'm sure apple will provide an adapter even if your car charger was iphone specific.

• Reply 14 of 30

Looks like to me they went back to the counter weight vibrate motor.  The CDMA iPhone 4 and all 4S models used a linear oscillating vibrator.  I've always thought the 4S vibrate motor was rather weak.  The old one isn't worth writing home about either.  Top left corner.  At least it looks a vibrate motor.

• Reply 15 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Hopefully it's enough to improve upon the 4s battery life. But something tells me with the larger screen and possible 4g capabilities, that it might be equal to if not less than.

Okay lets see the what the Next iphone will upgrade and downgrade on battery life. 1. Improve on Screen(Izo Screen 20 % more efficent) 2. A5 processor die shrink(30% improve on battery life) 3. Improved Lte Chips which consume less battery life at the same rate of 3g unlike the chips in the ipad(3rd gen) 4.Bigger Battery life Upgrade by 5-10 % So Overall Thats a 60% increase in battery life from the Iphone 4s. Also Ios 6 Fixes most of the battery life issues from Ios 5 Now deduct that from the 4 inch screen and the somewhat hungrier lte chips and you get way more battery life than you use too on your Iphone with Ios 5

• Reply 16 of 30

Originally Posted by karimseed View Post

Okay lets see the what the Next iphone will upgrade and downgrade on battery life. 1. Improve on Screen(Izo Screen 20 % more efficent) 2. A5 processor die shrink(30% improve on battery life) 3. Improved Lte Chips which consume less battery life at the same rate of 3g unlike the chips in the ipad(3rd gen) 4.Bigger Battery life Upgrade by 5-10 % So Overall Thats a 60% increase in battery life from the Iphone 4s. Also Ios 6 Fixes most of the battery life issues from Ios 5 Now deduct that from the 4 inch screen and the somewhat hungrier lte chips and you get way more battery life than you use too on your Iphone with Ios 5

Let's wait for the thing to be in our hands for a month or so (or at least for Apple to tell us the expected talk/usage times on stage) before we start concluding betterment. I certainly hope it will be better than the iPhone 4S', which was diminished due to the telephony more than anything (or was it the A5…).

• Reply 17 of 30
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

The new battery might be thinner than the previous one, I couldn't really judge from the image.  The increased wattage can be attributed entirely to the slightly higher voltage (3.8 V over 3.7 V) and not the length increase, although of course the slightly higher voltage itself might be a benefit of altered geometry.

• Reply 18 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I wonder what will be review of the new iphone. Its the first time i see so many leaks that seem serious. Wont be much surprise.
  • Reply 19 of 30

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I wonder what will be review of the new iphone. Its the first time i see so many leaks that seem serious. Wont be much surprise.

iPhone 4, iPhone 4S… even the 3G had the case leaked. We know nothing at all about the phone right now, no specs, no special hardware, and no software features.

• Reply 20 of 30
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    iPhone 4, iPhone 4S… even the 3G had the case leaked. We know nothing at all about the phone right now, no specs, no special hardware, and no software features.

Even on the inside, we have a new LTE chip (better than current ipad) and a special A5 with low power consuption.

I think we will see a new ipad 3 with the new LTE chip, less heat and the new connector. Also i expect all new ipods with the new connector, an ipad mini and for some reason i feel we will ear something about tv's. That a lot on the plate. We will see.