Apple adapters for new 9-pin dock to cost $10, cables will be $19 - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

It is this greed and total lack of imagination by Apple (such imagination ended with the iPhone 1/2G on the phone front) that will be their downfall.

Nokia have just launched a phone (the Lumia 920) whose innovations are each more useful than any iPhone feature, and save the user money and hassle. the wireless charging means you won't NEED any cables for charging and the NFC means you won't need any cables for music streaming/transfer. (Wireless charging hotspots will be everywhere soon, so we won't need to buy them except for our desks.)

Further, the PureView lens will offer pictures better than any other phone.

I'm an Apple guy (using a MBA to type this), but I am saddened at how Apple have totally failed to innovate since MagSafe.

Even iOS 6 is way dated over Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

If the industrial design of the new iPhone really is the same as the 4 series, except for size, then I predict their gradual downfall.

I hope they have a surprise, such as a wrist controller, or a radical new form factor and these leaked pictures are the result of a massive deception by Apple and their suppliers.

Hmm, let's see. You're post includes such insightful talking points such as Apple not innovating (since the first iPhone, no less), the iPhone being spec-inferior, and the whole iPhone-and-iOS-always-looks-the-same-and-now-they're-stale line. 

Impressive. That's like, what, the troll equivalent of a triple-double?

• Reply 42 of 56

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

…a device that manages to get only 1.5 or 2 stars on Apple's own website.

Yeah, those reviews? Not actual reviews. You need to filter the crap whenever you look at "stars" and user reviews.

• Reply 43 of 56
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Hmm, let's see. You're post includes such insightful talking points such as Apple not innovating (since the first iPhone, no less), the iPhone being spec-inferior, and the whole iPhone-and-iOS-always-looks-the-same-and-now-they're-stale line. 

Impressive. That's like, what, the troll equivalent of a triple-double?

You forgot that he also qualified himself by claiming MBA usage. That is like a triple-double with glitter on your high-tops.
  • Reply 44 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

You forgot that he also qualified himself by claiming MBA usage. That is like a triple-double with glitter on your high-tops.

In the spirit of Fantasy Football, I think we should be able to draft the various trolls that lurk around here, getting points based on the content of their posts. Or at least we should have power rankings so we can debate the worst(best?) trolls around.

I really need football to start. 

• Reply 45 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's an evil plot to change the connector ONCE EVERY 10 YEARS¡ It's pretty much the most absurd thing one can imagine.

Yeah, pretty much.

Some opinions are better left unsaid, because all they reveal is the pettiness of the speaker. It's fine to have an axe to grind with Apple, but it's embarrassing when you pass it off as journalism.

• Reply 46 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Apple should have an exchange program, I don't need another charger, I do need a way to dock my phone with my clock radio.

• Reply 47 of 56

Quote:

It is this greed and total lack of imagination by Apple (such imagination ended with the iPhone 1/2G on the phone front) that will be their downfall.

Nokia have just launched a phone (the Lumia 920) whose innovations are each more useful than any iPhone feature, and save the user money and hassle. the wireless charging means you won't NEED any cables for charging and the NFC means you won't need any cables for music streaming/transfer. (Wireless charging hotspots will be everywhere soon, so we won't need to buy them except for our desks.)

I'm an Apple guy (using a MBA to type this), but I am saddened at how Apple have totally failed to innovate since MagSafe.

If the industrial design of the new iPhone really is the same as the 4 series, except for size, then I predict their gradual downfall.

I hope they have a surprise, such as a wrist controller, or a radical new form factor and these leaked pictures are the result of a massive deception by Apple and their suppliers.

I buy a new iPhone.

I plug it into my MacBook and sync.

My new iPhone has exactly the same content as my old iPhone.

I don't have to install anything, it's already there.

My Apple TV will work with it.

I can watch the iTunes Festival live from London on it.

I don't want a Lumia, I don't want another Android phone, I want another iPhone to replace my two year old 4, which seems to be working just as well as the day I first got it, better due to iOS updates.

The "surprise" will be when it outsells every Lumia ever sold during the first day or two.

• Reply 48 of 56
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaicka View Post

I have shun away from cheap alternatives after prior bad experiences... Most, if not all, those cheap alternatives just ain't the same kind of quality and sleek as Apple's.

I just bought a relatively inexpensive Monoprice USB to 30-pin and it's absolutely as nice as Apple's and a lot less money.  I think they just reduced the price less than what I paid a week ago - it's now $3.25 for a 3 ft white cable.    Apple charges $19.

• Reply 49 of 56
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Quote:

The Nokia does look like a fairly nice phone and I'm sure it will do well.   But it's far from perfect as this review will attest.   And my bet is that it comes in subsidized at a much higher price than the iPhone.   

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/first-look-nokia-lumia-920-and-820/

• Reply 50 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

In the spirit of Fantasy Football, I think we should be able to draft the various trolls that lurk around here, getting points based on the content of their posts. Or at least we should have power rankings so we can debate the worst(best?) trolls around.

I really need football to start. 

Ours is nearing the finish:-

http://www.nrl.com/default.aspx

Then on to Cricket and hot summers days lazing on the beach.

• Reply 51 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Keep in mind that you can not do anything on USB port that is not part of the standard. If Apple wants to one day implement Thunderbolt or anything else, they could not do so on a USB port.

Without understanding the specifics of how this port is designed, I believe you are over stating the problem with the exposed contacts. It would be easy to design that connector in a manner that would not allow it to short out.

I'd forgotten about when the USB standards body killed Intel's Thunderbolt/LightPeak/USB hybrid. 

I agree we don't know anything about port design at this point. I am not even sure the cable pics we are seeing are the final design and not prototypes (or cascading hoaxes). And I agree that designing to avoid shorts is perfectly feasible.  But if not built into the cable (adding complexity), short-protection depends upon the robustness of the USB Type A device at the other end (which may be a non-Apple computer).

In any case, my two concerns are durability and static electricity. Durability is pretty straight forward -- exposed metal contacts. As for static discharge, conventional designs (USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt) reduce the risk by internalizing contacts inside the shield.  I am not concerned with protecting the iPhone from static discharge, but rather the USB Type A device plugged in at the other end of the cable (which will no doubt have some built in protection). Extra static protection could be built into the connector, but again we don't know.  

If the pics are legit, I am simply surprised that Apple didn't go with a direction-flippable design that internalized the contacts.  I realize that they are trying to minimize the connector's footprint.  And there may be a logical engineering explanation, outside of picking a design completely different than everyone else to avoid patenting nuisances.  We will know soon enough.

• Reply 52 of 56

If Apple doesn't announce the iPhone 5 soon, someone else will by assembling all these leaked parts.

• Reply 53 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I sure hope they have a 9-pin to 30-pin adapter, or else this will be useless in my car, especially if they use this new 9-pin in future iPods as well.  I have one of those VW proprietary plugs that connects via 30-pin connector.  And I'm pretty sure they won't be making any adapters anytime soon.  Not to mention in my car stereo (the touch-screen one 2012 model year) the BT audio feature only allows to view the song, play/pause, forward/next.  The proprietary 30-pin jack handles all the on-board menu functions.

Simple, don't buy any new iDevices that have the new connector.  A lot of people will be doing this.  Owners of expensive accessories like the B&W Zeppelin or Harmon Kardon iPod dock that cost a small fortune, won't be falling over themselves to buy new devices that don't work with them.  An adapter is no fix as it will likely cause something to break due to the extra mechanical leverage it would apply to small parts.

• Reply 54 of 56

With Apple you pay up for the devices, why do they have to nickel and dime us too?

• Reply 55 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Because they would rather have 120 billion in cash, they have no clue as to what to do with, than 110 Billion.

• Reply 56 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's very annoying that Apple won't license MagSafe. Everybody else can get DC transformers for $30-40, but Mac owners are forced to pay $79 for a device that manages to get only 1.5 or 2 stars on Apple's own website. It's gouging a captive market pure and simple. I actually have a Chinese transformer with a MagSafe connector, purchased before Apple put the fear of lawsuits into all the importers. The cables are thicker than the ones Apple uses and all the typical break points are nicely reinforced. I'm confident it'll outlive my Apple one.

You don't think Apple knows they would take the blame for every halfassed knockoff MagSafe that catches fire?