New pics of Apple's 'iPhone 5' mystery part reaffirm no NFC chip

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    I agree. Almost every new phone these days has NFC, almost every day I read news about NFC alliances between banks and telecoms starting to deploy NFC in different countries. Apple is missing this train and I'm not gone stand waiting for them. When I bought my iPhone 4 two yeas ago I thought that I will buy every year the most advance mobile computer on the planet, the spearhead of technology, the device of the future! Instead it appears I bought a device from a company whose sole preoccupation is how to sell the phone at a price as high as they can and to upgrade it as little as they can, and trying to convince people that it is "magic". Now, I'm sorry that I have invested a lot in all kind of apps. But it's never too late to leave this boat! Lumia 920 will probably be my next phone if the iPhone 5 will be as "advanced" as it appears to be!

I bet that, as a kid, you were always looking for bigger and better bunches of shiny keys to play with too? amaright?

oooh, look at da shiny shiny, look at da shiny shiny....
  • Reply 22 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Using the iPhone in landscape mode with the keyboard there is no real-estate for actually viewing the screen left. "Taller" just makes the problem worse.

The problem with making the screen wider is that the device becomes physically wider, and unless you have an unusually long thumb, you would no longer be able to operate the phone with one hand.

• Reply 23 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

The problem with making the screen wider is that the device becomes physically wider, and unless you have an unusually long thumb, you would no longer be able to operate the phone with one hand.

Again...somehow Motorola managed to do it without making the overall size of the device much larger.

• Reply 24 of 83
    I dunno why would Apple even bother with an announcement in Sept 12... if the parts are so readily available, rumor sites could just assemble the iPhone 5 themselves and have their own announcement. :lol:
  • Reply 25 of 83

Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post

Again...somehow Motorola managed to do it without making the overall size of the device much larger.

You put in a qualifier. That takes apart your entire beginning argument, doesn't it? 

Apple is already doing the only thing that can be done to facilitate continued one-handed use. Be happy for that, at least.

• Reply 26 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You put in a qualifier. That takes apart your entire beginning argument, doesn't it? 

Apple is already doing the only thing that can be done to facilitate continued one-handed use. Be happy for that, at least.

I'm not sure to which "qualifier" you're referring.

I can't use the iPhone one-handed for anything meaningful. Sending texts? Nope. Surfing the web? Nope. Making phone calls? Nope.

I have pretty average-sized hands.

• Reply 27 of 83

I dont know why people think the NFC chip is supposedly some massive piece of machinery. It's a small chip such as those made by NXP. The antenna for the NFC chip can be discretely hidden anywhere in the phone. But I would say the NFC issue is not what should be concerning.

The mystery component shouldn't be taken lightly. Consider that Apple rejigged the top section of the phone to fit this component in. They moved the headphone jack to the bottom, they shifted the front-camera to the top and moved the light and proximity sensors to exactly where this component is.

Something is there that is integral to the phone's new features, I'm sure of it!

• Reply 28 of 83
    maestro64 wrote: »
    wire all the recent security and privacy concerns, I think Apple decide to forgo the RFID chips, .

I think Apple passed on NFC well before those issues started.

As I understand it there are flavors of NFC and no one has taken off as the standard, especially in the US which like it or not is a major guiding force in Apples design decisions. Until that is resolved it seems unlikely they will jump in. Especially when there are other tech like Bluetooth, on screen barcodes etc that could be leveraged.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

I'm not sure to which "qualifier" you're referring.

I can't use the iPhone one-handed for anything meaningful. Sending texts? Nope. Surfing the web? Nope. Making phone calls? Nope.

Today I just saw a girl carrying a grocery and text message at the same time. Obviously she's using iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 83

Quote:

Surely you can make calls and text with one hand.  Besides, what non-meaningful things can you do on the iPhone with one hand?  Never mind, forget I asked...

• Reply 31 of 83

Quote:

Or the DROID M. It has a similar size footprint as the iPhone 4, but the screen is nearly an inch larger.

Why can't Apple do the same?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Because they are stuck with the home button. Also the back camera need an entire case depth as it won't fit behind the LCD in such a thin space.

This is partly a reason why Motorola phones look so ugly as they are always thicker at the top nevertheless they claim thickness by the bottom.

I hate the longer form factor more than i like a taller screen.

And I think I am passing upgrades for next couple of years

Quote:

Let's look at the facts:

iPhone 4S 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm

RAZR M 122.2 x 60.9 x 8.3mm

iPhone 5 124.5 x 58.6 x 7.6mm*

*measurements of leaked parts

The RAZR M is in fact larger than the iPhone 4S by about the same amount as the leaked iPhone parts. Where the M is wider, the iPhone is longer, and that's negating the highly unreliable thickness of the assmbled leaked parts of the next iPhone. So your statements are debunked. And on top of that the M only has a resolution of 960x540, where the current 4S and LAST GEN iPhone 4 have 960x640, and the next iPhone will have an even "longer" resolution of 1136x640.

If I were you, I'd be asking how come Motorola can't fit over 200,000 more pixels into the same space as Apple's next iPhone can.

• Reply 32 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

With all due respect, switching to the Lumia is probably the best strategy for you as it appears that you interested solely in the specs.  The "magic" in the iPhone is the delicate balance between hardware, software, design, and the user experience, not to mention the seamless integration with the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

Actually, Nokia often uses lower specced components as they are lower power draws and cheaper - they go for what they need (not the Android marketplace PC like frenzy for the latest highest spec whatever).  The Nokia 920 is just using a dual core processor, not a quad like the latest Android.  To go for specs go for Android - there may be ridiculous downsides (like battery life) but you get the "latest" if its worth it somehow...  JMHO...

• Reply 33 of 83

So far , Im really not that impressed with the new iphone (based on the rumours anyway).

Its a bit thinner (+) ... no complaints to that one.

Its screen is 1 row of icons taller (+) ... but its now an odd shape

More memory (+)   ... but when was the last time you ran out of memory on an iphone ?

IOS 6 (?) ... meh... same old look and feel / still a ton of stuff missing.

LTE (?) ... in the UK nobody really cares yet.

NFC (?) ... shame if it doesnt have it, as in 1-2 years I could imagine it being quite popular.

but the proportions of the screen look a bit odd (too tall).

People talk all the time about the right size sweet spot, but having had an iphone 4, I jumped to a Galaxy Nexus mainly for having a larger screen (4.65") made such a huge difference to reading and surfing.  I was considering a switch back to Apple for the 5 but its not looking that compelling I must say.

Of all the announcements recently, its the Lumia 920 which actually looks like a proper designer was involved (Johnny Ive clearly has been away or on holiday when the iphone 5 was conceived based on mockups) and the only new release so far that has me interested in jumping to a new phone (eg. the style , colour choice, and design, the camera tech, and WP8 is looking quite polished and fresh). Note I couldnt give a damn about the specs or quad core etc..  Why is it that Apple / Motorola etc think we want a phone that is either black or white and nothing else ?

Hate to say it but the iphone 5 is looking a bit long in the tooth (as does IOS in general).

I really hope I am wrong, but its not looking good at this point with all these part leaks.

• Reply 34 of 83
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Do you realize that wider screen means wider phone? If you really need a shovel phone go with galaxy note.

Finally saw the Galaxy note 5" in person last night on the bus and it looked ridiculous.  A very tall Japanese lady with big hands was using it and it still looked awkwardly ridiculous.  You *need* two hands to even use it at all.  One handed isn't even an option.  

• Reply 35 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maon View Post

I dont know why people think the NFC chip is supposedly some massive piece of machinery. It's a small chip such as those made by NXP. The antenna for the NFC chip can be discretely hidden anywhere in the phone. But I would say the NFC issue is not what should be concerning.

The mystery component shouldn't be taken lightly. Consider that Apple rejigged the top section of the phone to fit this component in. They moved the headphone jack to the bottom, they shifted the front-camera to the top and moved the light and proximity sensors to exactly where this component is.

Something is there that is integral to the phone's new features, I'm sure of it!

I totally agree with Maon. There must be something new, different, with that part. And I insist, can't it has something to deal with battery charging ? Can you imagine how incredible would it be that your iphone get self-charged connecting to an energy network same way as a wi-fi network ? An Airport spot that would deliver internet as well as energy, just have to be in the range ?

I'm not a dreamer, nor writing in Star Wars forum, Fujitsu get this technology already developped, using magnetic resonnance.

• Reply 36 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoloG View Post

I totally agree with Maon. There must be something new, different, with that part. And I insist, can't it has something to deal with battery charging ? Can you imagine how incredible would it be that your iphone get self-charged connecting to an energy network same way as a wi-fi network ? An Airport spot that would deliver internet as well as energy, just have to be in the range ?

I'm not a dreamer, nor writing in Star Wars forum, Fujitsu get this technology already developped, using magnetic resonnance.

The energy loss during wireless energy transfer is pretty high if I remember correctly, and it is in no way like wifi. Anyone with a compatible receiving device could draw power from your "base station", because how can you password protect magnetic resonnance? There's already a ton of people stealing unprotected wifi networks, imagine if all wifi was unprotected. Have fun paying for the electricity to charge everyone's phone in your apt building.

• Reply 37 of 83
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Taller I understand, but I can't imagine why wider would be better.  

I was thinking that the reason the width is the same as last year's model is to not disrupt the app market. It also depends on how the added height scales or letter/pillar boxes and how it affects current apps. If they had made the screen wider and apps scaled, the graphics would potentially be degraded in quality. Probably Apple will invent a new scaling function in Xcode that will deal with multiple size screens especially with the new mini coming. Eventually they will make the iPhone a tad wider but that will probably not come until 2014. We will most likely see an iPhone 5s in 2013 with the same form factor as the 5.

• Reply 38 of 83

If Apple can deliver an alternative solution that drives business to provide mobile payment solutions via the Passport Wallet they are putting out in iOS6 then so be it.  NFC in the US is over hyped and has not gained real traction.  There are too many competing standards and everyone wants a cut from it. Something that would be consistent across all platforms and retailers is whats needed but US carriers and financial institutions won't play nice.

• Reply 39 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgajx View Post

I agree entirely. That phone looks honking. The proportions look all wrong. I cant believe that is the best they can come up with.

I think you are not seeing how much more useful a taller screen will be.

• Reply 40 of 83

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Let's look at the facts:

iPhone 4S 115.2 x 58.6 x 9.3mm

RAZR M 122.2 x 60.9 x 8.3mm

iPhone 5 124.5 x 58.6 x 7.6mm*

*measurements of leaked parts

The RAZR M is in fact larger than the iPhone 4S by about the same amount as the leaked iPhone parts. Where the M is wider, the iPhone is longer, and that's negating the highly unreliable thickness of the assmbled leaked parts of the next iPhone. So your statements are debunked. And on top of that the M only has a resolution of 960x540, where the current 4S and LAST GEN iPhone 4 have 960x640, and the next iPhone will have an even "longer" resolution of 1136x640.

If I were you, I'd be asking how come Motorola can't fit over 200,000 more pixels into the same space as Apple's next iPhone can.

Re-read what I wrote. I wrote "much larger". I readily concede that the RAZR M is larger--7mm taller and 2mm wider. I would GLADLY add the extra size to get 20mm in screen size.

I'm not nearly as concerned with 200,000 pixels (over a 7,441 sq/mm surface) as I am the _actual size_ of the display. The extra pixels don't do any good, if they're not displaying additional information. An extra row of icons or extra width of a web page when viewed in landscape mode doesn't really buy much, IMO. A screen larger on both axes would allow for a bigger keyboard and less scrolling when viewing web pages in landscape mode. Or possibly even a bigger font for those who don't see as well.