AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Comments

• Reply 181 of 215
    I love the new design!! Well done.

Nice trolling Mr/Mrs "I have 2 posts so far"...

No, the redesign is an utter desaster.
    If many people who visited AI for years, each many times a day, are leaving - then this is a failure.

I hope AI management has the balls to admit it and scrap the new design, going back to the drawing board.

If they own up to it and act fast, like this week, they still have a chance to get people back.
    Time will tell, as always.

Good luck AI, you'll need it.
    And thanks for all the fish! Thoroughly enjoyed them.
  • Reply 182 of 215

Yeah, I have been using AI for the past 6 years on a daily basis, checking up to half a dozen times a day. I am now only checking once, and only because I haven't found a good alternative site yet. The site is unreadable. I had to drop my font size to even quickly scan the headlines, and that makes the column of articles only 2 inches wide on my 30" screen. Sad :(

• Reply 183 of 215

Really like the new design.  What font are you guys using?  I just showed the site to a couple of the web designers at work today.

Thanks!

• Reply 184 of 215
    wimac wrote: »
    Really like the new design.  What font are you guys using?  I just showed the site to a couple of the web designers at work today.

Thanks!

Hate to tell ya... but you're not talking to any "web designers" at work if they don't know how to find out which font is being used on a website.

FYI:
    1. Chrome: Developer Tools under View->Developer
    2. Firefox: Firebug or Developer Toolbar
    3. Safari: Web Inspector under the Developer menu (must turn on in Safari Prefs)

Font: Helvetica-Neue Light (horrible legibility at small or normal sizes!)
  • Reply 185 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeniThings View Post

After 5 years having AppleInsider be the first website I visit daily it's time to move on. The new layout with its abundant and tacky banner ads sandwiching a thinner and less readable article column is just too ugly to look at each morning. I love change, but only when it's for the better. On to MacRumors. best of luck with the future AI, it was fun while it lasted.

Agreed, only change when its for the better. AI had a really easy to look at layout before.

• Reply 186 of 215
    parksgm wrote: »
    I'm still wondering why there is no forum specific view for the iPhone (unless I missed something). Reading comments defaults to the non-mobile version of the site, with tiny text. I can't believe there's no mobile version of the forum client.

Am I missing something?

Not yet. I did a prototype web app 4 years ago. Finally after 4 years I am working on my first mobile website using KendoUI. I haven't made any forum technology yet but KendoUI is your answer.
  • Reply 187 of 215
    hobbit wrote: »
    Nice trolling Mr/Mrs "I have 2 posts so far"...
    No, the redesign is an utter desaster.
    If many people who visited AI for years, each many times a day, are leaving - then this is a failure.
    I hope AI management has the balls to admit it and scrap the new design, going back to the drawing board.
    If they own up to it and act fast, like this week, they still have a chance to get people back.
    Time will tell, as always.
    Good luck AI, you'll need it.
    And thanks for all the fish! Thoroughly enjoyed them.

I have mentioned the above in the past several months. And with this new redesign, it does cement
    The Death Of The Desktop.

As for AI, I feel sorry for AI because I know some people at AI are working very hard and they get a lot of hits,
    BUT
    the decisions AI management have made, have been poor.

All the best AI, and I love ya for so many years, but you really need to take a step back and think about your future.

Apple is big now but in 5 years the focus of the site and revenue will be different, I suspect.
  • Reply 188 of 215

There is way too much white space on this new design, and the typeface is not as legible.

This means our eyes have to work harder to absorb the information.

From a purely aesthetic point of view, it may look more exciting and flashy - but that's not the point. It is not a night club.

Please tighten up the design - otherwise I fear you will lose readers.

The AppleInsider content is fantastic - as always - but the new design has gone off track. 

• Reply 189 of 215

Thank god for Stylish. The Franklin Gothic font may look good on a retina display, but not on my 21" NEC. Yech.

• Reply 190 of 215

I dig it... very clean, easy to read & navigate.

• Reply 191 of 215

Dont like it at all.

A definite step backwards.

As others have said, too much white space, not enough contrast. Hard to read the articles. Either bring back the old design (unlikely) or at least give us a choice. 

• Reply 192 of 215

Hey hobBIT - I'm not a troll. I just like the new design. I never participated in the old forums cause they sucked. I have been reading AI for years and support their progress. To bad you feel it necessary to demean people who disagree with you.

• Reply 193 of 215

Very Difficult to Read, even with my glasses on.  Too much white - not enough contrast between the type and the background.  I was on vacation for a few days and when I looked at it I thought I was on the wrong site.  Honestly, I really don't like it.  I could navigate the previous site much easier.  Much easier to read.  Another Case where Change is not always Good.  Bet you guys will not admit it among yourselves, but look at this.

• Reply 194 of 215
    Sorry Ai, I think the new design sucks. The layout doesn't do much for me, and the design and placement of the adds on the homepage really blows.
    Forum is a hot mess. I still visit but not nearly as often.

At least you didn't fu€k it up as bad as gawker did, can't stand going to Jalopnik anymore.
  • Reply 195 of 215

I come to this site by habit.  That habit is being broken by this new design.

• Reply 196 of 215

Is this the new layout ;) not shabby

• Reply 197 of 215
    Hey hobBIT - I'm not a troll. [...] To bad you feel it necessary to demean people who disagree with you.

Sorry for the bad impression.

Though even if you had neen reading AI for years, you have to see that your circumstances (perhaps unluckily) are more in line with typical troll behavior: having registered in Sptember 2012 with 3 posts so far...
  • Reply 198 of 215
    Long time reader, just created an account recently in case I wanted to take part in the forums here. In my opinion, the new design is just awful, nigh unreadable on my iPad. I'll check back periodically to see if it has been improved, or better yet, reverted to the previous design, but AI is off my list of sites that I read daily. This is unfortunate, because I found the content to be excellent and the forums to be quite informative.
  • Reply 199 of 215

Can't say enough how bad the new site design is but I found my way back in with a link that makes a big difference.  It brings back the way I like the layout.  My new favorite page is…

http://appleinsider.com/archives/

PLEASE DO NOT MESS WITH THIS LAYOUT BECAUSE IT IS AS CLOSE TO THE OLD WAY THAT WAS THE BEST FOR EVERYONE!!!

All articles in order and easy to see and get to.  And it shows my stock price in the top still.

My new favorite site for news is http://www.cultofmac.com/

I like the layout and simple design of it and it's easy to navigate.

• Reply 200 of 215

"Out-hip your facebook friends!" ...ummm can we talk about that???