AppleInsider's New Look (This thread was about the first Huddler redesign)

Comments

• Reply 121 of 215

And will somebody please inform me where in the world am I supposed to sign in?????

• Reply 122 of 215
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    And will somebody please inform me where in the world am I supposed to sign in?????

I don't follow. You are signed in if you are posting here. You won't get another login option until you log out.
  • Reply 123 of 215

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't follow. You are signed in if you are posting here. You won't get another login option until you log out.

I think he wants to be able to sign in directly from appleinsider.com instead of forums.appleinsider.com

• Reply 124 of 215
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think he wants to be able to sign in directly from appleinsider.com instead of forums.appleinsider.com

That's there too, you just don't see the logon until you're logged out.
  • Reply 125 of 215

Man, what a train wreck! I don't think I'll be coming here very often anymore. Shame really, as I liked the way the news was presented. You could quickly scan down the headlines for what interests you most. Now it hurts my eyes and I have to scroll loads.

And as for that 'bite' out of the dot in the logo - terrible idea!

• Reply 126 of 215

I'm liking the new design though I think it may benefit from a little more space between the centre column and the two side columns. Just to break up the page a little more. Also, maybe page breaks where the inline adverts are too? Similar to how the breaks between dates are done.

• Reply 127 of 215

Uh, where's the tabbar icon gone to? It's missing with the update. How am I supposed to find the site among my 300+ tabs without an icon :(

• Reply 128 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

No one should ever complain about ads!

You wouldn't need to complain if you used Adblock.

What ads? <wink>

• Reply 129 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

What the heck is a Samsung Galaxy III ad doing on here??????????

With all the Samsung reporting here, I'm surprised you asked the question. AdWords doesn't understand context. image

• Reply 130 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Here is my Appleinsider home page layout fixer bookmarklet (works in Chrome and Safari now)

[code]
    javascript:(function(){document.getElementById('headline-module').style.display = 'none'; document.getElementById('top-promo').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('content').style.marginLeft = '-160px';document.getElementById('header').style.marginLeft = '0px';document.getElementById('leaderboard').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('footer').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('content').style.width = '1200px';document.getElementById('sidebar-left').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('sidebar-right').style.display = 'none';document.getElementById('content-home').style.width = '1000px';document.getElementById('wordmark').style.marginTop = '20px';document.body.style.backgroundImage='url(none.jpg)';document.body.style.backgroundColor='#eaeaea';document.body.style.fontSize='14px';document.body.style.letterSpacing='.08em';var theH1s = document.getElementsByTagName('h1');for (var i = 0; i < theH1s.length; i++) {document.getElementsByTagName("h1")[i].style.fontSize= '18px';}})()
    [/code]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/11902/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 131 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's there too, you just don't see the logon until you're logged out.

Yes but I mean without having to click on a article to comment.

• Reply 132 of 215

Not a fan of the new design, the text is comically big, and it's not actually any easier or better to read the news articles. The new design is flashier, but unnecessary. Any chance of a "theme" option so we can choose whether to look at the old version of the site or the new one?

• Reply 133 of 215

Ah, I seem to have stumbled upon a revised logo that they're not using but may be pushing out.

… I'd prefer they not.

• Reply 134 of 215

I'm also not a big fan of the new design, mostly because it shows so few headlines at one time.

My bigger problem, though, is that when viewing in Safari on my MBP, the background is blue. It shows up correctly in Firefox. Any ideas why?

Using OS X 10.8.1 and Safari 6.0.

Thanks.

• Reply 135 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Are you crazy? It's called Good Design, AppleInsider was stuck in the nineties, and if you don't appreciate good design, frankly you shouldn't be on an Apple fan site in the first place.

The previous site appearance was good design.  It was what Steve Jobs would have preferred.  Functional and practical.  Not flashy and less usefull.  From one apple fan to another.

• Reply 136 of 215
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dett View Post

I'm also not a big fan of the new design, mostly because it shows so few headlines at one time.

My bigger problem, though, is that when viewing in Safari on my MBP, the background is blue. It shows up correctly in Firefox. Any ideas why?

Using OS X 10.8.1 and Safari 6.0.

Thanks.

Because they are using non-standard CSS. You really are not supposed to use background: by itself. You can but it is not compatible with all browsers so you shouldn't and you are definitely not supposed to mix elements such as color and image. You can use it to list multiple images separated by commas but not how it is done here. You are supposed to use background-color: and background-image:

body { background: #fff url(http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/v9/images/id_backdrop.gif) center 4px no-repeat; }

If you want a really nice layout see my bookmarklet above. Post #130. The background-color is fixed.

Edit: There are also several other technical mistakes in the code which would better if fixed, especially in terms of SEO, not that this is a concern to the users, but developers really should fix those mistakes. 

• Reply 137 of 215

New layout looks nice but I prefer the original.  I liked having headlines fit onto one line each and being able to scan topics quickly.  Now it's like being on cnet or something.  The old layout is was kept me coming back.

• Reply 138 of 215

I want to use this site but I just can't, I just can't concentrate on it. I don't know if it's the white, the font, the layout or the ads (or everything).

I'll check back in a few weeks to see if it has been updated to a more agreeable and readable design.

On the plus side, at least I won't read so many spoilers.

• Reply 139 of 215

What the heck is up with the new AppleInsider site design? I went from being able to see 5 to 10 headlines at a glance to seeing 1.

It is a horrible change.

Can anyone recommend a better site for Mac news? I don't want this as my home page anymore.

• Reply 140 of 215

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepro View Post

Hmmm... not a fan of the redesign. Too much white negative space, and the font seems harder to read.

/curmudgeon

It looks like someone's crappy blog now